PDA

View Full Version : Nile Rodgers on Twitter

test

jobeterob
11-10-2014, 07:44 PM
 Follow

Nile RodgersVerified account
‏@nilerodgers I had lunch with #DianaRoss today and it was like time had stood still. We had a blast! Here we go baby!

smark21
11-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Did Rev. Miss Ross have lay's potato chips as a side dish for her lunch with Nile Rodgers?

marv2
11-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Did Rev. Miss Ross have lay's potato chips as a side dish for her lunch with Nile Rodgers?

hehehehehehehehehehe......................

jobeterob
11-11-2014, 01:02 AM

A few. But she wore no makeup and did wear her uggs. And still no alcohol at all. And they prayed before lunch in public.

florence
11-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Is it too much to hope they discussed BUSINESS!.......................................

David J
11-11-2014, 05:00 AM
Is it too much to hope they discussed BUSINESS!.......................................

I would assume that it is to discuss business because it would be a bit of a coincidence for them to just meet up for lunch weeks after Nile mentioned that he wanted to work with Diana and from what he posted on his twitter.

Could "HERE WE GO BABY" mean that they possibly discussed collaborating in the near future? I hope so, how exciting this might possibly be.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

smark21
11-11-2014, 08:42 AM
Until either Nile Rodgers or Diana Ross issue further information about this lunch and what it may mean, any further thoughts would fall into the realms of idle speculation and wishful thinking. Best to think of it as a lunch between friends who once worked together and nothing more.

jobeterob
11-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Until either Nile Rodgers or Diana Ross issue further information about this lunch and what it may mean, any further thoughts would fall into the realms of idle speculation and wishful thinking. Best to think of it as a lunch between friends who once worked together and nothing more.

Even if they collaborated, they are something from the past, way way back. Ain't gonna happen again. The best you could hope for these days would be duets, duets, duets, and covers, the flavor of the years.............

marv2
11-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Even if they collaborated, they are something from the past, way way back. Ain't gonna happen again. The best you could hope for these days would be duets, duets, duets, and covers, the flavor of the years.............

Didn't Diana Ross already do a covers CD? How did that work out for her?

vgalindo
11-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Didn't Diana Ross already do a covers CD? How did that work out for her?

Yes and it hit Billboards top 40 album chart. Not too bad.

marv2
11-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Yes and it hit Billboards top 40 album chart. Not too bad.

I heard it bombed really bad. Any singles from it?

marv2
11-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Here's what ALLMUSIC' Jeff Tamarkin had to say about her CD. He said it sounded like she didn't even understand the songs she was singing LOL!!!

http://www.allmusic.com/album/i-love-you-mw0000446351

"Review by Jeff Tamarkin [-]

In what might be the least inspired album of her career, iconic diva Diana Ross sleepwalks through a mishmash of seemingly randomly chosen love songs, all covers save for one new composition, adding nothing to them and forcing one to wonder just why she bothered. It's been standard music industry practice for years for artists to record [[or for their labels to release compilations of) romantic tunes in time for Valentine's Day, and the January 2007 arrival of this set couldn't have been better timed as it also coincided with the release of the film version of Dreamgirls, based on the career of the Supremes. But Ross doesn't seize the moment: she puts little emotion or enthusiasm into her recitations here, and seems to have little familiarity with, or understanding of, the songs she and producers Peter Asher and Steve Tyrell have chosen for the album. Her vocals are largely nondescript and at times barely hint at the qualities that made her such a distinctive force for decades, and the arrangements and production are whitewashed and lacking in originality. The material is all over the place, including songs from the '50s to those of more recent vintage, from the Platters' "Only You" through Berlin's "Take My Breath Away," and from fellow Motown great Marvin Gaye's "I Want You" to the ubiquitous [[and, at this point, plain annoying) "You Are So Beautiful." Ross takes Jackie Wilson's "To Be Loved" and bleeds the soul from it, and she drains the magic from the Drifters' classic "This Magic Moment." Harry Nilsson's "Remember" not only opens the album but closes it in a brief reprise version, but Ross seems unsure what to do with it either time. The Beatles' "I Will" might be an excellent cover choice in more sympathetic hands, but Ross sounds uncomfortable with its simplicity and quietness, while her reading of Burt Bacharach-Hal David's sultry masterpiece "The Look of Love" is embarrassingly lifeless, especially if compared with Dusty Springfield's definitive '60s version. Whoever came up with the idea of Ross covering the Spiral Starecase's 1969 hit "More Today Than Yesterday" at least gets a few points for digging a bit deeper into the covers well, but Ross puts no fire into the up-tempo/upbeat song. Interestingly, the one new track here [[other than a piece from the current Broadway production of The Color Purple), the Fred White-penned ballad "I Love You [[That's All That Really Matters)," makes the most of Ross' vocal capabilities and range, begging the question of why she didn't just record an album of new material custom-fitted to her talents. Had the singer on this album been an unknown trying out for American Idol with these performances, no doubt Simon Cowell would have found her appalling. This has to be chalked up as an anomaly and a mistake, because an artist as singular as Diana Ross doesn't just forget who she is and what she does best."

jobeterob
11-11-2014, 11:09 PM
EMI Reports said the CD I Love You sold 620000 copies, more than 10000 times the total sales of some of her former background singers.

marv2
11-11-2014, 11:24 PM
EMI Reports said the CD I Love You sold 620000 copies, more than 10000 times the total sales of some of her former background singers.

It says here: According to Soundscan the album sold around 100,000 copies in the USA.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_You_[[Diana_Ross_album)

Maybe should have tried some different covers. LOL!

vgalindo
11-11-2014, 11:58 PM
I heard it bombed really bad. Any singles from it?

Well hitting Billboards top 40 album chart is a success. Mary Wilson would die just to hit the top200. And that is no lie.

marv2
11-12-2014, 12:03 AM
Well hitting Billboards top 40 album chart is a success. Mary Wilson would die just to hit the top200. And that is no lie.

But Mary Wilson did not record Diana Ross' CD "I Love You" or did I miss something?

vgalindo
11-12-2014, 12:45 AM
But Mary Wilson did not record Diana Ross' CD "I Love You" or did I miss something?

You are always criticizing the lack of success of Diana Ross on the charts that she hasn't had a hit in so many years but never seem to realize that your beloved Mary Wilson has never hit the charts solo ever! That's what you have seemed to miss.

marv2
11-12-2014, 01:09 AM
You are always criticizing the lack of success of Diana Ross on the charts that she hasn't had a hit in so many years but never seem to realize that your beloved Mary Wilson has never hit the charts solo ever! That's what you have seemed to miss.

I did not miss that Mary was not promoted as a solo recording artist by a record company the way Motown promoted Diana Ross. Mary achieved her solo success on her own. Diana Ross has not had any hits worth anything since leaving Berry Gordy. Kinda like what happened with Mary Wells.

vgalindo
11-12-2014, 02:06 AM
I did not miss that Mary was not promoted as a solo recording artist by a record company the way Motown promoted Diana Ross. Mary achieved her solo success on her own. Diana Ross has not had any hits worth anything since leaving Berry Gordy. Kinda like what happened with Mary Wells.
If you really believe that Diana Ross hasn't had any hits worth anything since leaving Motown. So be it but that is just your own personal opinion. Gold and Platinum albums that I happen to love. Top ten singles like Missing you, Mirror Mirror, etc. were worth something to me. I didn't recall Mary Wells having her first album after leaving Motown going Platinum and having 2 top ten singles off of it. Wow were have I been? I didn't know Mary Wells after leaving Motown became an international Super Star all over the world toping the charts and selling out concerts all over the world. Wow good for Mary Wells because I love her too.

marv2
11-12-2014, 02:40 AM
If you really believe that Diana Ross hasn't had any hits worth anything since leaving Motown. So be it but that is just your own personal opinion.

That is what 90 percent of the comments here are. Most of her music has been garbage since leaving Berry. He created her along the lines of the Jamie Foxx character created the Beyonce character in the film Dreamgirls.

smark21
11-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Who, besides the superficial, the shallow, the immature, and the materialistic, cares about sales and chart position of an album? Although Marv is baiting with the review he posted, at least the critic is engaged with the work, songs, arrangments and performances on I Love You. So, instead of fighting about the charts and sales of Diana vis a vis Mary, what do you all think of the review? Do you agree or disagree? Do you like the I Love You album? What are your favorite songs and performances and why are they your favorites? Any songs you dislike? If any, why? Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Supremes fans often moan about how the music of their favorites aren't taken seriously by others. But when all you do is go on about sales and charts and gossip and pictures and booklets and diva drama and gowns and wigs, you just show that you don't take their music seriously either.

As for me the I Love You album is OK. Concept is banal and some of the songs are dull. I don't like the sound and arrangments on some of the songs--have a certain karaoke quality to them, especially This Magic Moment. Diana's voice is not in its best shape here, especially on that painful note she hits [[or misses) on I Will. My favorite songs on the album: Remember, What About Love, Lovely Day and To Be Loved. I disagree with the critic and I think she sounds very engaged on those songs and really set the mood for the album, especially on To Be Loved.

marv2
11-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Who, besides the superficial, the shallow, the immature, and the materialistic, cares about sales and chart position of an album? Although Marv is baiting with the review he posted, at least the critic is engaged with the work, songs, arrangments and performances on I Love You. So, instead of fighting about the charts and sales of Diana vis a vis Mary, what do you all think of the review? Do you agree or disagree? Do you like the I Love You album? What are your favorite songs and performances and why are they your favorites? Any songs you dislike? If any, why? Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Supremes fans often moan about how the music of their favorites aren't taken seriously by others. But when all you do is go on about sales and charts and gossip and pictures and booklets and diva drama and gowns and wigs, you just show that you don't take their music seriously either.

As for me the I Love You album is OK. Concept is banal and some of the songs are dull. I don't like the sound and arrangments on some of the songs--have a certain karaoke quality to them, especially This Magic Moment. Diana's voice is not in its best shape here, especially on that painful note she hits [[or misses) on I Will. My favorite songs on the album: Remember, What About Love, Lovely Day and To Be Loved. I disagree with the critic and I think she sounds very engaged on those songs and really set the mood for the album, especially on To Be Loved.

You are not suppose to say anything critical about Diana Ross or her music here, but post multiple threads on her daily. I suppose when people post these many threads on an artist that they are inviting discussion of that artist. I thought the review was fair.

vgalindo
11-12-2014, 01:27 PM
I totally agree. I liked the ILY album but it was not her best but it has some really good songs that I do like. I care less about chart positions. My favorites have nothing to do with chart positions. I just get tired of Marv always putting Diana down for not having hits anymore. I never hear him say anything about any other artists not hitting the charts. He was the one saying it bombed and I was just pointing out that It did hit the top 40. He Is the one who compared her career to Mary Wells after leaving Motown. He seems to be the one that is always worried about Diana's lack of success and chart positions. I love Gladys last CD Another Journey and I know it didn't sell but does Marv say anything about that. Of coarse not it wasn't Diana Ross.

smark21
11-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Vgalindo, Marv likes to bait Diana Ross fans here; I suggest just ignoring him, or develop a thicker skin when it comes to his comments about Diana Ross and let them slide and laugh when he goes after her or her fans. Besides, if you like a song or an album, what does it matter if it sells well or charts high? The key thing is that you enjoy it. That's ultimately what matters.

I did find the review he pasted of interest as the critic was engaged with the album and gave it a fair, if harsh review. At least it wasn't full of personal attacks or dwelling on gossip and diva drama.

jobeterob
11-13-2014, 01:07 AM
The good songs on the I Love You are ones you've mentioned here ~ Remember, Lovely Day, To Be Loved, I Will. I Love You and What About Love are favorites, but not mine ~ a bit too slow, not lots of melody, not lots of Motown; but I can see other liking them. Take My Breath Away sounded karaoke like to me. I enjoyed This Magic Moment more than More Today Than Yesterday.

Chart positions and sales are a blast and lots of fun. They are the only objective measure of success that there is. You can "like" whomever you want and enjoy them to the nth degree. If they sold 4000 CDs in a career ~ that's what they sold. If they sold 100 Million CDs, that's what they sold.

For some reason, I see a man standing in a boat with a fishing rod in his hands and a big big big fat worm dangling off the end of that rod!