View Full Version : Martha Reeves interview-1986

test

mojoman
11-09-2014, 08:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnIjI6n_Lyw

Roberta75
11-09-2014, 09:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnIjI6n_Lyw

Oh oh thank you mojoman for this fantastic clip. Martha is beatiful in this here clip and elegant and articulatte and kind and positive. I love the green dress and it brings a tear to my eye to see the Christian cross hanging around her lovely neck. This woman is and was and always will be the true First Lady of Motown Record.

Thank you again dear you have made my blessed Sunday even more blessed,

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

westgrandboulevard
11-10-2014, 06:42 AM
This interview has been recently posted on this forum [[by theboyfromxtown on October 23rd) and I thought it strange that not one person responded at that time.

It is good to see it again, as it is a lovely interview, and I would be interested to know where it was made, and for which show. :)

Methuselah2
11-10-2014, 07:56 AM
WGB - I can only speak for myself but I missed the double posting of this video both times--until this morning, that is, when I saw that the Contents Page showed it now had a recent posting added by you. I was interested to read what you had to say. I always am.

I'm also very interested in postings by Tbfxt but perhaps I had missed his October thread of this video because I assumed it was one of many other Martha interviews that I had already seen. Sometimes the subject headings of threads are very general, and they often get passed over because I think I've probably already seen it--particularly if it's a somewhat old interview as this one is. It was good that 1986 was mentioned in the subject heading but, at the same time, it wasn't specific enough to stand out from other Martha interviews that have recently appeared here.

Now, had the heading read something like "MARTHA INTERVIEW-1986-On Motown's Style, Fashion, & Look," it would not have gotten away from me. [[Dangle a spaghetti strap in front of me and I'm there!)

But for some other SDF members, a heading like that might be all they need to not enter the thread--because it's not going to be about the music. But either way, the additional info is useful to users.

And often I don't comment on a thread if I think I really don't have anything to add to the conversation [[which some people might think I don't practice diligently enough).

But I must say this: I appreciate all thread postings because they're made with the best of intentions. And if only one other person enjoyed the thread, the poster has been successful. Even if that one person isn't me. And as this thread itself has shown, even an inadvertent double posting is of value. I'm glad for Mojoman's posting and I regret I missed it last month by Tbfxt. [[Ignore Tbfxt? Moi? Jamais!)

westgrandboulevard
11-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Meth2 :

As always, I enjoyed your post.............so, you can't tell me where the Martha interview was made, then... LOL

I have to take it on face value that the date given on the You Tube clip is indeed correct.....

Just speaking for myself : I do try to tackle every single thread [[just to know what's going on, you understand. Not that I'm at all nosy....:rolleyes:), but I do have to move quick, because of time constraints...and can't respond to each one although, like you, I enjoy them all.

Thankfully, there are still many members who may visit frequently, just not on each single day. Miss only a day or two, and sometimes some interesting info has been missed, and buried by the newer posts and threads. In an ideal world, a quick check of SDF each day by all members would be good...and I suspect a lot do just that, but just don't sign in, so none of us knows they are around. Most if not all of the threads have 'view' figures which are out of all proportion to the number of posts [[and that can't just be due to each of us continually re-reading our own posts, can it? LOL)

You should post more. You started off with a real flurry, then tailed off. If there isn't a certain number of members posting something on a regular basis, to create routine 'traffic', there may be no active forum. Most of my posts are 'of the moment', with no real substance or consequence, just marking time while watching what's happening on the other more in-depth threads. There needs to be something always available to encourage those who prefer to check in on odd occasions to view posts which are more informative and personally interesting to them.

westgrandboulevard
11-10-2014, 08:41 AM
P.S. Perhaps you should set up a new thread, with yourself as Fashion Correspondent- though I'd say you should consider tackling the fashions and stage costumes for the male acts, as well as the female.

While I'd personally welcome more technical information, and any information and recollections on any topic from people who were around Motown/Detroit back in the day [[or still are), ideally there should be SDF threads on a wide variety of topics, for everyone..

That said,the visual images really do enhance a lot of the words we all submit.

marybrewster
11-10-2014, 11:08 AM
I missed this as well and am so glad to have seen it. I don't quite understand the beginning of the interview; made me a little uncomfortable. What type of interview was this and for what show?

Methuselah2
11-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Well, WGB, speaking of fashion, it was interesting to hear Martha say a few words about clothes and sitting there looking absolutely beautiful in that green dress of hers.

I, too, love the visual stuff that often accompanies posts. But if you start writing your entries with a rebus, you'll drive everybody crazy in no time!

You're definitely right about me needing to cover menswear, too. I always thought The Isley Bros. were the best dressed and best looking of the male acts. Each of them so debonair in his own way. Many wonderful shots of them appear in people's YouTube videos to great advantage.

Methuselah2
11-10-2014, 11:15 AM
P.S. re your mention of "continually re-reading our own posts"--

That's so funny and probably so true. Ya got everyone squirmin' already! LOL!

westgrandboulevard
11-10-2014, 11:31 AM
You shouldn't be too concerned about what might 'drive everybody crazy', just address the people who are interested in what you have to say. You can't please everyone.

On the little quip about us re-reading our own posts. I was, of course, joking..but I've also noticed that some members will post a comment, and then leave their screen [[probably minimised) for extended periods on that very same thread, as though with fingers poised, ready to respond.

It makes me smile, to see keen interest and also friendly rivalry. Makes me think how SDF, in many ways, mirrors the structure at Motown back in the 60s.

'Please Mr Postman' is, in an updated way, as relevant today in 2014 as ever it was in late 1961.:)

Methuselah2
11-10-2014, 11:52 AM
"Like threads through the Soulful Detroit Forum,

so are the POSTS OF OUR LIVES."

mojoman
11-10-2014, 11:56 AM
To all that enjoyed my posting, you are most welcome! I wasn't sure if it had been posted before. I must say, I never saw Martha look better than she did in this clip.

Methuselah2
11-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Thank you Mojoman. Your posting of the video gave me the second chance I needed not to miss it. Martha does look great in it.

jobeterob
11-10-2014, 01:09 PM
I did not see it the first time either, shame! I enjoyed it.

I guess we need to be forgiven when we re-post!

Roberta75
11-10-2014, 04:10 PM
To all that enjoyed my posting, you are most welcome! I wasn't sure if it had been posted before. I must say, I never saw Martha look better than she did in this clip.

Miss Reeves sure did looked gorgeous in the clip mojoman and shes still real pretty to this very day.

Thank you again.

Fondly,

Roberta

theboyfromxtown
11-10-2014, 06:17 PM
You shouldn't be too concerned about what might 'drive everybody crazy', just address the people who are interested in what you have to say. You can't please everyone.

On the little quip about us re-reading our own posts. I was, of course, joking..but I've also noticed that some members will post a comment, and then leave their screen [[probably minimised) for extended periods on that very same thread, as though with fingers poised, ready to respond.

It makes me smile, to see keen interest and also friendly rivalry. Makes me think how SDF, in many ways, mirrors the structure at Motown back in the 60s.

'Please Mr Postman' is, in an updated way, as relevant today in 2014 as ever it was in late 1961.:)

We re-post..it happens to all of us. But there are always new members that join after the original postings so it's all good.

So WGB, how about you telling us what it was like in the 60's........and please tell, what was it like to be a Fan Club president?

westgrandboulevard
11-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Dear reader, pay NO attention to Mr Mischief in the above post! :)

Most people here will know quite well already, what it was like in the 60s, as they were there at the time.

Anyone who doesn't, can always ask specific questions, which any one of the rest of us could then answer.

I was never a fan club president [[as tbfxtown well knows :rolleyes:....) although quite a few others certainly did set up and maintain some very good Motown fan clubs here in the UK. I guess it was the same in the US?

Tbfxtown has just been so very miffed for decades that The Velvelettes never had a fan club, because that, of course, meant he could never be President of it....:o

I feel we're moving off topic here. Doesn't ANYONE have a clue how this great Martha interview came about...??

jobeterob
11-10-2014, 06:45 PM
No, re Martha.

I can only remember the end of the 60's being so young.

And I never was a FC President for any Motown Group, but was for Lesley Gore!!!

westgrandboulevard
11-10-2014, 06:52 PM
'It's My Party' was among the first records I ever bought.

You get my vote, jobeterob!

theboyfromxtown
11-10-2014, 06:54 PM
...and also one from Mr Mischief!

Methuselah2
11-10-2014, 09:16 PM
WGB - Pehaps contacting Contact Vault might yield some light on this Martha interview. It appears on their site:

http://www.concertvault.com/martha-reeves/unknown-march-10-1986.html

Click on "All Content"; then the entry at the top of the subsequent list.

smark21
11-10-2014, 09:22 PM
I missed this as well and am so glad to have seen it. I don't quite understand the beginning of the interview; made me a little uncomfortable. What type of interview was this and for what show?

I suspect that this interview was for a local tv news interview package. Hence the instruction to Martha Reeves to address the interviewer as "you". That way the footage could be shipped to local TV stations and the stations could shoot their local interviewer asking the same questions Pat asked and then insert Martha's answers. I'm sure the package was sent to local stations in any market where Martha was about to appear in concert. That's my theory anyway FWIW.

westgrandboulevard
11-11-2014, 05:02 AM
Sounds a good enough theory to me.

An interview conducted for the purposes of general promotion, rather than a specific show.....

detmotownguy
11-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Martha is stunning! She has always treated me with respect even when she was in a hurry. I miss this days of running into her when working in Detroit. A classy lady.

marybrewster
11-11-2014, 01:14 PM
This is just THEORY, but could this interview have been for radio? Quite often you'll hear a DJ conduct a "canned" interview. I know Ryan Seacrest does a lot of them. You can tell by how the interview is edited. There's never any overlapping of interviewer and interviewee.

I must comment how great Martha looks, and quite honestly, has anyone seen her as of late? She's wearing that BIG wig again, very similar to what she has on in this clip. Very Ronettes. Martha has aged well.

marybrewster
11-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Martha is stunning! She has always treated me with respect even when she was in a hurry. I miss this days of running into her when working in Detroit. A classy lady.

And I have to add that I agree; each time I have met Martha, she's always been so wonderful; striking up conversation, always willing to pose for a photo or sign an autograph. I might have mentioned the last time I saw her, there was a young man in front of me that had no less that 10 things for Martha to sign; posters, pictures, CD's. She signed each of them and all I kept thinking was: this stuff is going to end up on eBay. After I had my turn meeting "the First Lady of Motown" *wink* I asked if I could meet the Vandellas ; Delphine and Lois. Martha said, sure, just go back to their dressing room. Being familiar with the venue I made my way back, and if I thought Martha was gracious, Delphine and Lois were 10x. They posed for pictures, signed autographs; Delphine even gave me her email address so I could send them along to her. It's fun meeting those you admire.

motony
11-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Martha was the same when I first met her in Nov. 1962 through Mary Wells[[she was Marys room mate at Sir Johns Hotel In Miami on that first Motortown Revue).I was 11 at the time & I knew who "The Vandellas" were from my 45 of "Stubborn Kind of Fellow". Martha was so cool[[& still is) then she personally answered a "fan" letter I sent to her in 1964, her letter to me was on Vandellas stationary. I have always said Martha is Motowns greatest Ambassador.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-12-2014, 03:30 AM
Mojoman, thanks for sharing this excellent video. I had never seen it, nor have I ever seen Martha look so vibrant and visually appealing. That shade of green is definitely her color! - Gary