PDA

View Full Version : Temptations & Four Tops at NYC Famed PALACE THEATERon BROADWAY

test

milven
11-06-2014, 11:39 AM
I have to be honest and say that I am a bit surprised to see that The Temptations and the Four Tops have been booked for a limited run on Broadway at the famed PALACE THEATER. They are joining good company. Judy, Liza, Diana, and many others have performed one woman shows there. It is a legit Broadway Theater that housed many long running Broadway shows, and before that it was the most prestigious place to perform in the Vaudeville Circuit.

There are six performances from Dec 29 to Jan 4th. Wisely, there is no performance on New Year's Eve.

Tickets are priced from $ 52 to $ 142.

THE TEMPTATIONS & THE FOUR TOPS Will Play Broadway's Palace Theatre This Holiday Season

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/THE-TEMPTATIONS-THE-FOUR-TOPS-Will-Play-Broadways-Palace-Theatre-This-Holiday-Season-20141105

supremester
11-09-2014, 12:53 PM
It's interesting that it's running the last week of Motown: THe Musical before it closes for retooling. I'm sorry The Tops eschewed Mary for The Tempts for their holiday gig but maybe they can add her or Martha or Brenda if it doesn't sell well initially. Brenda - add her - wouldn't that be amazing?

marv2
11-09-2014, 01:18 PM
I am not surprised at all. The Temptations and the Four Tops are just as famous as "Judy, Liza, Diana, and many others have performed one woman shows there......" . The Four Tops were wonderful on Mary Wilson's Holiday Spectacular last season in Chicago.

milven
11-09-2014, 07:49 PM
... The Temptations and the Four Tops are just as famous as "Judy, Liza, Diana, and many others have performed one woman shows there......" . ..

I didn't say they weren't . I guess my surprise was that in the past it has always been one artist, [[not a group or groups) that presented concert performances here [[like Bette Midler, Liza Minnelli, Josephine Baker, Eddie Fisher, Shirley MacLaine, Diana Ross, Vikki Carr) between theatrical engagements. It's a historical venue and the two groups are certainly deserving. I am looking forward to seeing their PLAYBILL COVER

jobeterob
11-09-2014, 08:20 PM
On the Motown 25 DVDs, Suzanne, Smokey, Otis and Duke talk about how the Tops/Tempts shows have run for 31 years following Motown 25, where the idea was hatched.

Probably Motown the Musical has upped the demand for all things Motown.

The Temptations will be a significantly bigger draw with the Tops than Mary Wilson was, sadly for Supremes fans. The addition later or for a show of Mary Wilson, Martha Reeves or Brenda Holloway, at least for a song or two, would be a treat.

Roberta75
11-09-2014, 08:57 PM
On the Motown 25 DVDs, Suzanne, Smokey, Otis and Duke talk about how the Tops/Tempts shows have run for 31 years following Motown 25, where the idea was hatched.

The Temptations will be a significantly bigger draw with the Tops than Mary Wilson was, sadly for Supremes fans. The addition later or for a show of Mary Wilson, Martha Reeves or Brenda Holloway, at least for a song or two, would be a treat.

If they want to sell out every night they should add The first Lady of Motown Dr martha Reeves to threre bill imo.

If Miss Wilspn had added Miss Reeves to her Chicago Chridtmas special shows her ticket sales wouldve been much better imo.

Roberta

marv2
11-10-2014, 12:52 AM

They will not be a bigger draw than Mary Wilson. Mary Wilson headlined her own holiday spectacular show. You just wished they would be! Truth be told, the current "Temptations" are not a bigger draw than Dennis Edwards group and the Four Tops will be fine in any setting/venue as they have stuck pretty closely to their classic act! Where do you find in the recess of your mind to say things like Martha Reeves or Brenda Holloway as guests on this show at the Palace? Amazing.........LOL!!!! The could add Diane Ross as a guest, but the public would be there to see the Tempts & Tops!

milven
11-22-2014, 10:15 PM
.....They could add Diane Ross as a guest, but the public would be there to see the Tempts & Tops!

Well, so far the public is not buying tickets for the Tops and Temps. They are charging Broadway prices $ 70 for nose bleed seats to $ 270 dollars for front orchestra and only about ten per cent of the seats are sold. At the rate that tickets are being sold, they will either have to discount , or cancel.

Not that Diana Ross has anything to do with this thread, and I'm sure you won't agree, but if they did add Diana Ross as a guest as you suggested - albeit, sarcastically - ticket sales would probably go up substantially.

supremester
11-23-2014, 02:35 PM
I had to laugh when I saw this booking - I mean, come on. These are NOT The Four Tops - they are 4 old men pretending to be them. Ditto The Temptations. They are tribute acts with one original member of marginal interest. Who in NYC is going to pay theatre prices to see this mess when you can go to Book Of Mormon or James Earl Jones? They should have done one night at The Beacon and see if there was interest in a second show, but Broadway, it ain't. As I mentioned on another forum, they should have added Mary or Martha or Brenda and made a Motown Revue - and try to sell that. The relative failure of The Chicago Christmas show last year should have taught them that these Four Tops are nobody anyone knows, add a bunch of Tempts with voices no one knows and you have almost nothing. I wouldn't go for 50.00 in the front row as both groups, to me, are annoying. At least Dennis' group gives you an iconic voice, and a dedicated effort to bring the sound of the original records. No one GAF about Otis or Duke. At least if they added Mary, there would be a name and a voice some people know. The 70's Supremes, were not The Supremes - you can't have that without Flo & Diana, and you can't have DR&TS without Miss Ross. You have a tribute act with great voices, but they were not The Supremes to most people and even Mary says that now. If it was me, I'd do Brenda, The Contours, Martha & The Vandellas, The Four Tops and Dennis' Tempts. I'm not eschewing Mary for any reason except I think Brenda, for the rarity, might be a bigger draw. Maybe even add The Velvelettes. Then you'd have a show that might run - but even then, I'd do one night at The Beacon, see how it went , get a lot of press hopefully- then plan the run at The Palace or back at The Beacon because of "demand.".

jobeterob
11-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Sounds like some promoters have ideas that are a bit grandiose and perhaps talk some of the artists into things that would work in the 60's but won't now. Cancellations can't be good for anybody. I remember mary Wilson speaking negatively of last years Christmas bookings after the fact.

Roberta75
11-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Well if I as the promoters Id be adding the First Lady of Motown Records Miss Martha Reeves to the bill. Adding Martha would boost sales and stop cancellattions imo. I believe if Miss Wilson had added martha last year her box office would have tripled.

Roberta

jobeterob
11-23-2014, 03:47 PM
Well if I as the promoters Id be adding the First Lady of Motown Records Miss Martha Reeves to the bill. Adding Martha would boost sales and stop cancellattions imo. I believe if Miss Wilson had added martha last year her box office would have tripled.

Roberta

"Like".....................

Lulu
11-23-2014, 04:00 PM
Unfortunately, I think the Palace was a bit ambitious for these guys. Maybe if a few more acts were added, they'd bolster ticket sales but Mary Wilson's concert at the NJPAC was canceled recently due to poor ticket sales [[I believe it was 10% sold as of the week prior to the show).

Like it or not, Diana Ross would be the only Motown attraction that would sell well at that Venue. Liza, who's been in rougher shape than nearly all of her peers, sold out her last series of shows there in 2008 and more dates were added due to high demand. A Streisand or a Midler would also be a guaranteed hot ticket for the Palace.

supremester
11-23-2014, 04:34 PM
I like it very much - if Miss Ross did The Palace, I'd do the entire run.

I agree with Roberta that adding Martha to the Chicago show or The Palace might make the difference. I don't think even Martha/Mary combo would have saved Bergenpac. The days of Mary headlining are long past, but she she remains a viable added value attraction ala Bill Wyman. Martha, however, is doing quite well in Europe and The US on her own. I'm happy for her - no one can sing like Martha Reeves!

Roberta75
11-23-2014, 04:44 PM
I like it very much - if Miss Ross did The Palace, I'd do the entire run.

I agree with Roberta that adding Martha to the Chicago show or The Palace might make the difference. I don't think even Martha/Mary combo would have saved Bergenpac. The days of Mary headlining are long past, but she she remains a viable added value attraction ala Bill Wyman. Martha, however, is doing quite well in Europe and The US on her own. I'm happy for her - no one can sing like Martha Reeves!

You got that right supremester. Miss Martha is untouchable shes the best in the business.

have a blessed Sunday dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

Lulu
11-23-2014, 05:39 PM
You got that right supremester. Miss Martha is untouchable shes the best in the business.

have a blessed Sunday dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

I'd like to see Martha tour with Miss Brenda Holloway and Miss Kim Weston...that would be a sensational tour!!!

Roberta75
11-23-2014, 06:12 PM
I'd like to see Martha tour with Miss Brenda Holloway and Miss Kim Weston...that would be a sensational tour!!!

And the Velvelettes and youd sell out for months and months and months.

fondly,

Roberta

Lulu
11-24-2014, 12:21 AM
And the Velvelettes and youd sell out for months and months and months.

fondly,

Roberta

And Miss Chris Clark!