PDA

View Full Version : The Death of Vinyl Shops

test

nomis
11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Im just sitting in my bookstore and a brother came in and asked me "Where are all the music shops?"
..I repled theyre gone.everybody downloads now..
He asked me where he could get Motown on vinyl..I said there was one shop in the main city but by the look of it It might not be there much longer...He said that made him really angry...
How much have vinyl stores declined in your neck of the woods? i can count ten stores I used to shop at that have closed down and another five that sold cds that have gone aswell..would you consider opening a vinyl store in todays world or is it a too risky venture? what happened to all the young guns who where mad on vinyl ten years back? Did the storage space needed for a good vinyl collection make people stop? or the price of collecting?

soulster
11-15-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm getting depressed about it too. And, for the used stores that are still around, the pickings are getting either slim or lousy. What's worse, the source for minty 45s is drying up fast. That's what I collect.

mark speck
11-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Here in the Rock and Roll Capital of the World, there are a few vinyl places...not as much as there used to be, but there are one or two around, and I occasionally find decent 45s at them. Other than that, there's the occasional record show, though the last one that was held close to my apartment bit the big one in terms of vinyl.

Best,

Mark

arrr&bee
11-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Ahhh a subject near and dear to my heart,i'm from d.c. And there used to be a record store on every corner it seemed back in the day,but with the advent of digitals those wonderful stores fell by the wayside and believe me i feel your pain because there's no one on sdf that love vinyl more than me[i will n-e-v-e-r buy cd's]but as i've stated from time to time i'm blessed to have a great oldies shop not far from me[whew]and these guys have everything[albums-forty fives-seventy eights]they have a special motown section of 45's and the prices are great which works for me cause i collect on the cheap[hehe]so all i can say is just shop around and never give up your quest for those wonderful vinyl records there're outhere ......vinyl and record stores forever!!!

GeeTee(HPK)
11-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Even though a few record stores are closing it's doors,there are a few that are still active. I guess it depends on where you live.

Believe it or not,they are about to open another vinyl store in Hype Park. As soon as I get the word of when it opens, I'll see what they have.

In the meantime, I'll continue to support the ones that are still hanging in there. [[as well as the one's that are on the internet)