PDA

View Full Version : A Season of "Reunions"; Oprah-style

test

marybrewster
11-15-2010, 01:33 PM
First, it was "The Sound of Music".

This week it's "The Color Purople" and "The Way We Were".

I wonder what other big reunions Oprah has lined up for this season? Maybe Martha and the Original Vandellas? I'd love to see Martha, Roz and Nettie onstage.

jobeterob
11-15-2010, 02:01 PM
I'd love it too Mary, but I don't think a Vandellas reunion is significant enough for Oprah. We need the big one that will catch attention and for Motown, there is only one that would matter.

I ducked...........the tomato hit the wall behind me.

topdiva1
11-15-2010, 06:35 PM
If anyone could pull of that reunion - DIANA ROSS AND THE SUPREMES - it sould be Oprah - but do not bet more than a dime on it.

Kamasu_Jr
11-15-2010, 09:35 PM
If anyone could pull of that reunion - DIANA ROSS AND THE SUPREMES - it sould be Oprah - but do not bet more than a dime on it.

I don't think Oprah is a big Motown fan. If you've seen any of her road trip shows with her friend Gayle, Oprah does not seem to be a big music fan or she doesn't like listening to music on the radio in a car.
Motown probably doesn't mean as much to her as it does some of us on the forum, so I would not count on seeing the reunion some of you have written Oprah about and are hoping for. The Color Purple reunion show was interesting.

nomis
11-15-2010, 09:37 PM
She may not have been a big motown fan but she was a Supremes fan in a big way and still is..but it aint gonna happen !!

REDHOT
11-16-2010, 05:32 AM
I would also love to see OPRAH make it happen Nomis, A Diana Ross and The Supremes[[Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong) reunion, But you're right. It aint gonna happen.
Please stay positive

arrr&bee
11-16-2010, 03:39 PM
How about santa and the original elves[are they all still living]??

olamaebarto
11-16-2010, 04:19 PM
She may not have been a big motown fan but she was a Supremes fan in a big way and still is..but it aint gonna happen !!

I think we should start a letter writing campaign to Oprah.

smark21
11-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Or an online petition.

jonc
11-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Or an online petition.

Perhaps Dr. Ernesto Velvetta can start one.

supreme_lady
11-17-2010, 05:10 AM
There's a on-going Supremes petition on-line, not sure who set the petiton up though.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/supremes-reunion.html

jobeterob
11-17-2010, 12:19 PM
The petitions have been around so long, don't attract much attention when you consider there are 115,000 people on Diana Ross's Facebook page, and they haven't done anything.

What is needed is a direct approach to Diana Ross and another direct approach to her children, probably Rhonda ~ for a one shot only, maybe even no singing, appearance together, with significant assurances and control ~ perhaps, not live.

That might have a chance.

Kamasu_Jr
11-17-2010, 01:18 PM
The petitions have been around so long, don't attract much attention when you consider there are 115,000 people on Diana Ross's Facebook page, and they haven't done anything.

What is needed is a direct approach to Diana Ross and another direct approach to her children, probably Rhonda ~ for a one shot only, maybe even no singing, appearance together, with significant assurances and control ~ perhaps, not live.

That might have a chance.

You are right about those petitions. They've been online forever. I'm sure Diana Ross & Mary Wilson have seen them too.
Frankly,, I also think a Supremes reunion is something Oprah and her producers have already thought about and if it was going to happen, it would have. Maybe Oprah is holding out for May sweeps? May is the month her show ends its syndication.

jobeterob
11-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I think a Diana Ross/Supremes reunion has as much appeal as the reunions they have had on Oprah - at least as much as The Color Purple, maybe not quite as much appeal as The Sound of Music.

I read an online comment this morning saying they thought Diana Ross's voice has held up better than Barbra Streisand's voice; I don't ever get to watch Oprah so I didn't see it.

reese
11-17-2010, 02:41 PM
I think a Diana Ross/Supremes reunion has as much appeal as the reunions they have had on Oprah - at least as much as The Color Purple, maybe not quite as much appeal as The Sound of Music.

I read an online comment this morning saying they thought Diana Ross's voice has held up better than Barbra Streisand's voice; I don't ever get to watch Oprah so I didn't see it.

I saw the show with Barbra yesterday. She did sound good, but yes, her voice doesn't quite have that same bouyancy that it did. I first noticed this on her last tour. However, she is 68. And she never used her vocal muscle as much as Diana has.

captainjames
11-17-2010, 02:56 PM
In my opinion don't you think if D/M/C were going to reunite they would have already met and probably started rehearsing before going on Oprah ? Also, wouldn't it make more sense to record something and be prepared to release it prior to the showing "so called" reunion ? I think that is way most reunions are done.

I truly and honestly believe that as far as a stage performance, reunion, TV show, snippet, or anything that looks like Diana Ross and The Supremes will forever be left in our memories. The worst thing to happen to them now is for them to perform and tarnish that memory.

midnightman
11-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Well to be FRANK though, Oprah was a fan of the Jackson 5 [[and a stalker...er admirer) of Jackie Jackson. So I don't think she wasn't a big Motown fan, maybe she hadn't been too open about that. Motown is part of her generation anyways, how would she not?

As far as Motown reunions, I doubt it seriously.

jobeterob
11-17-2010, 07:48 PM
or..............tarnish the memory even more! Just leave that to the fans................who are no different than the fans of Paul McCartney/John Lennon, Mick Jagger/Keith Richards, Mike Love/Al Jardine, Otis Williams/Dennis Edwards, Paul Revere/Mark Lindsay.

smark21
11-17-2010, 10:13 PM
or..............tarnish the memory even more! Just leave that to the fans................who are no different than the fans of Paul McCartney/John Lennon, Mick Jagger/Brian Richards, Mike Love/Al Jardine, Otis Williams/Dennis Edwards, Paul Revere/Mark Lindsay.

Brian Richards? Don't you mean Keith Jones?

jillfoster
11-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Oh please... you think the Supremes fans are bad, just look around at the Shaun Cassidy Vs. Leif Garrett fans... those bitches are BRUTAL.

jobeterob
11-17-2010, 11:33 PM
What did those brutal Cassidy/Garrett bitches do? I think the Stylistics are like that too..........they just do it on here and are for real at each other.

Luckily, I don't know too much about either and don't really want to.

midnightman
11-17-2010, 11:38 PM
@Rob, you mean Keith Richards. LMAO

jobeterob
11-18-2010, 03:08 AM
Ya bad hey! See my correction up top! Smark is pretty shark, I mean smart. Sadly, I think all of you are right..........all this Motown reunion stuff is a long shot; a lot of them just won't attract enough attention and the one that matters is so troublesome to achieve.

Kamasu_Jr
11-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Ya bad hey! See my correction up top! Smark is pretty shark, I mean smart. Sadly, I think all of you are right..........all this Motown reunion stuff is a long shot; a lot of them just won't attract enough attention and the one that matters is so troublesome to achieve.

And who is left anyway?
A lot of the great Motowners are DEAD! There's barely anyone left.

topdiva1
11-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Rhonda Ross Kendricks has no power in her mother's final decisions - and as of yet I do not think a reunion on O is going to happen at all - most likely Diana Ross solo - I am told.

jobeterob
11-18-2010, 09:02 PM
You are probably correct about the reunion; we all pretty much agree. You are probably wrong about Rhonda. All children in close families have a say.

olamaebarto
11-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Perhaps Dr. Ernesto Velvetta can start one.

Oh this is so thrilling!

olamaebarto
11-18-2010, 09:54 PM
I saw the show with Barbra yesterday. She did sound good, but yes, her voice doesn't quite have that same bouyancy that it did. I first noticed this on her last tour. However, she is 68. And she never used her vocal muscle as much as Diana has.

Blink dear, blink.

topdiva1
11-21-2010, 03:04 PM
And who is left anyway?
A lot of the great Motowners are DEAD! There's barely anyone left.

You are so right - Amen.