PDA

View Full Version : Motown "NOTHING BUT A MAN" Soundtrack [[CD)

test

Philles/Motown Gary
11-02-2014, 02:24 AM
I was going to ask if anyone has EVER seen an actual copy of Motown’s "Nothing But A Man" Soundtrack album, released as Motown 630 in May, 1965. I had never seen a copy myself, nor even a photo of one – until now! I just looked it up in the search engine, and learned, lo and behold, that it was released on CD back in the 1990's. Pleased as punch, I just ordered my copy from Amazon. See link below including track list:

http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-but-Man-Willie-Hutch/dp/B000008QPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414909233&sr=8-1&keywords=nothing+but+a+man+soundtrack+cd

calvin
11-02-2014, 06:25 AM
Hi Gary, thanks for pointing that out, I was also unaware of this cd release.

The original LP is listed here [[scroll to MT-630) with a small picture [[though they could have taken that picture from the cd and just removed the "Motown Master Series" symbol):
http://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/motown/motown.html

As for the two live tracks, according to allmusic they're from the "Recorded Live on Stage" albums by The Miracles and Mary Wells, both of which are now available.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/nothing-but-a-man-mw0000647435

reese
11-02-2014, 01:46 PM
I've seen the NOTHING BUT A MAN album twice in used record stores, and bought it each time. It was a long time between purchases and I actually had forgotten that I already had it.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-02-2014, 04:22 PM

The original LP is listed here [[scroll to MT-630) with a small picture [[though they could have taken that picture from the cd and just removed the "Motown Master Series" symbol):

Hey, you're welcome, Calvin. And thank YOU for providing the excellent Motown LP Discography [[Part 1)! What a wonderful treat! I looked in the search engine for Part 2 of the above discography, as well as discographies by the same authors for Gordy, Tamla, and Soul LP's but was unable to find them. Might you have access to them?

PS: It's interesting [[and baffling) to note that the U.S. got the release of The Ding Dongs’ Motown album [[including "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor On The Bedpost Over Night" [[which I confess I bought at the time simply because it was Motown), yet Blinky Williams' LP was shelved. What in heaven’s name was Motown’s Quality Control thinking of at the time?!!!

Philles/Motown Gary
11-02-2014, 04:36 PM
I've seen the NOTHING BUT A MAN album twice in used record stores, and bought it each time. It was a long time between purchases and I actually had forgotten that I already had it.
Reese, I recognize that forgetful trait, and I can identify with it all too well as a senior moment, of which I've had many. Join the club!

It’s amazing that you found the original Motown "Nothing But A Man" Soundtrack LP TWICE, which I’ve never seen at all. I was wondering all along if it really even existed. When I first got into Motown in the Fall of 1964, I started buying everything I could find on Motown, Gordy, Tamla, Soul, and VIP. I also started backtracking and seeking out Motown’s older material, much of which I found [[dirt cheap) in the close-out bin at one of the local department stores. This included Motown-related albums AND 45's. "Nothing But A Man", however, remained elusive. Although I already have all of the tracks contained on the soundtrack, I’m thrilled to have ordered a copy of the CD – just for the sake of having the album’s front cover in my collection.

calvin
11-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Hey, you're welcome, Calvin. And thank YOU for providing the excellent Motown LP Discography [[Part 1)! What a wonderful treat! I looked in the search engine for Part 2 of the above discography, as well as discographies by the same authors for Gordy, Tamla, and Soul LP's but was unable to find them. Might you have access to them?

Thank the people who put the "Both Sides Now" website together, they've provided a lot of information.

Start here and scroll down for links to the various Motown labels [[part 2 is TMG):
http://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/motownstory.html

And there are plenty of other label discographies as well.
http://www.bsnpubs.com/

Philles/Motown Gary
11-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Thank the people who put the "Both Sides Now" website together, they've provided a lot of information.

WOW! There's a wealth of Motown information here! Thanks for the steer in the right direction, Calvin -- AND to the good folks at Both Sides Now. - Gary

blkfrost
11-02-2014, 07:44 PM
I actually own a copy.

motony
11-03-2014, 02:09 PM
I have the original LP Nothing But A Man soundtrack. I think the movie & record did not come out until 1965.

thomas96
11-03-2014, 03:30 PM
I have it on record.

mysterysinger
11-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Have seen the CD a few times but always passed since there seemed to be nothing on it I didn't already have.

More prized are the CD issues of "In Loving Memory" and "The Key To The Kingdom". Neither are rare, and neither have the original LP cover, but nice CDs nonetheless - and where else are all the tracks available on CD?.

reese
11-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Have seen the CD a few times but always passed since there seemed to be nothing on it I didn't already have.

More prized are the CD issues of "In Loving Memory" and "The Key To The Kingdom". Neither are rare, and neither have the original LP cover, but nice CDs nonetheless - and where else are all the tracks available on CD?.

There was a nice two-volume collection called BACK TO GOSPEL that mixed the tracks from IN LOVING MEMORY with more contemporary tracks from artists like Andrae Crouch and the Clark Sisters.

sansradio
11-03-2014, 08:42 PM
There was a nice two-volume collection called BACK TO GOSPEL that mixed the tracks from IN LOVING MEMORY with more contemporary tracks from artists like Andrae Crouch and the Clark Sisters.

You are correct. I used to own this set, but, alas, it's been lost to the winds of time for years.

marv2
11-03-2014, 10:57 PM

As for the two live tracks, according to allmusic they're from the "Recorded Live on Stage" albums by The Miracles and Mary Wells, both of which are now available.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/nothing-but-a-man-mw0000647435

I remember one of my Elementary School teachers having a copy of that album in the classroom.

masterblaster
11-04-2014, 06:38 AM
I have never heared of this film but in Wikipedia, it states it was selected for preservation in the US in 1993 as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". Has the film ever been released on DVD?

It interesting to note that Motown music was being used in the mid sixties for film sountracks, a trend that continues to this day.

calvin
11-04-2014, 07:14 AM
I have never heared of this film but in Wikipedia, it states it was selected for preservation in the US in 1993 as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". Has the film ever been released on DVD?

http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-But-Man-Ivan-Dixon/dp/B0002JUX42/ref=pd_cp_mov_3

sansradio
11-06-2014, 02:04 AM

It interesting to note that Motown music was being used in the mid sixties for film sountracks, a trend that continues to this day.

Masterblaster, by all means, do yourself a favor and buy a copy of this film. It's a masterpiece of quiet intensity; the great Abbey Lincoln, Ivan Dixon, and Gloria Foster, among others, deliver incredible performances.

kenneth
11-06-2014, 09:33 AM
I found a copy of the original LP in the cut-out bins back at Arlan's, a Detroit chain similar to K-Mart, back in the 70s. In fact I bought all the early, early Motown LPs, including some of the Workshop LPs, back at Arlan's at 88 cents a pop. [[Oh, to go back in time and see what I left behind and didn't buy!)

At the time I was surprised to see it because I had never heard of the film and had no idea it even existed. I remember I really wanted it because it contained what appeared to be an unreleased [[prior to that) Marvelettes track called "Come on Home," which as we know now is really just a Funk Brothers instrumental track with some background vocals singing the title. [[Wasn't it the B-side to "Too Hurt to Cry"? Carole Cucumber, where are you?)

I have since seen the film [[I think it has been shown on Turner Classic Movies). I wouldn't call it great, but it does have excellent actors in it and it seems to have been well regarded when it came out. It's been a long time since I've seen it but I think in many ways it reminded me of "A Raisin in the Sun" in terms of the mood it generated. As I recall, one of the main characters is a boxer...I think...trying to get ahead in the world. I think it's that sort of theme.

sansradio
11-06-2014, 10:26 AM
I have since seen the film [[I think it has been shown on Turner Classic Movies). I wouldn't call it great, but it does have excellent actors in it and it seems to have been well regarded when it came out. It's been a long time since I've seen it but I think in many ways it reminded me of "A Raisin in the Sun" in terms of the mood it generated. As I recall, one of the main characters is a boxer...I think...trying to get ahead in the world. I think it's that sort of theme.

No boxers are in the film; the protagonist is an underemployed laborer trying to make it the Civil-Rights-era South. There is, however, a charming "boxing" scene between Lincoln and Dixon which uses Mary Wells's "You Beat Me to the Punch."

masterblaster
11-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Masterblaster, by all means, do yourself a favor and buy a copy of this film. It's a masterpiece of quiet intensity; the great Abbey Lincoln, Ivan Dixon, and Gloria Foster, among others, deliver incredible performances.

Thanks sansradio, unfortunately the only copies are on the NTSC system which I don't think will play on my players here in the UK. I have just ordered "Lady Sings The Blues" for $3 to test my players before I purchase "Nothing But A Man".