PDA

View Full Version : 16 Big Hits Volume 12 - your choice

test

mysterysinger
11-01-2014, 05:57 PM
A "what if" - for you. We know the U.S. 16 Big Hits series stopped at Volume 11. What would have been the tracks on Volume 12? Use your imagination. One thing though - this would have been a stereo release.... I do plan to compile this album in my album player.....

762rob
11-01-2014, 11:21 PM
A "what if" - for you. We know the U.S. 16 Big Hits series stopped at Volume 11. What would have been the tracks on Volume 12? Use your imagination. One thing though - this would have been a stereo release.... I do plan to compile this album in my album player.....

What a great idea, can't wait to see what you all come up with!

nabob
11-02-2014, 12:25 PM
An extended version of Volume 11 was made in 2003 after being frustrated that the album never appeared on CD. Only 12 tracks were added to get the full 80 minutes of music.

mysterysinger
11-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Great start Nabob.

Kinda brings home just how early on really the series finished - around the time of UK Motown Chartbusters Volume 2 or 3 and Volume 7 of the UK 16 Big Hits series. The UK Volume 8 seems to have been slightly later although shares one track [["You Met Your Match") with the US Volume 11. I would leave some of the tracks off [[personal preference due to duplication with UK 16 Big Hits or British Motown Chartbusters - mind you that never stopped Tamla Motown before).

From your list I would probably put the following on my Volume 12......
1 "I Understand My Man" - The Elgins
2 "Just Look What You've Done" - Brenda Holloway
3 "Please Return Your Love To Me" - The Temptations
4 "It Should Have Been Me" - Gladys Knight & The Pips
5 "I Am Your Man" - Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers
6 "I Love You Madly" - Fantastic Four

That leaves another 12 for suggestions.......

mowsville
11-02-2014, 06:43 PM
I'll turn to stone Four Tops...im gonna make it [[I will wait for you) Diana Ross And The Supremes..tell me its just a rumour Isley Brothers.

longtimefan
11-03-2014, 12:41 AM
Are you suggesting a particular time frame?

Ngroove
11-03-2014, 02:02 AM
Are you suggesting a particular time frame?

Apparently, the last Volume, released 9/69, stopped at "Big Hits" from 1968.

Hypothetically, "Volume 12" be released 4/70 hahahahaha:

- "SOS [[Stop Her On Sight)" - Edwin Starr
Technically, I dunno if that counts in its day for "Original Big Hits" for Motown, but hey, since Soul Master, his Ric Tic's been "adopted" into catalog

- "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" - Supremes & the Temptations

- "Good Lovin Ain't Easy To Come By" - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

longtimefan
11-03-2014, 06:33 AM
"[[We've Got) Honey Love" - Martha Reeves and The Vandellas

johnny_raven
11-03-2014, 11:02 AM
"That's How Heartaches Are Made" - The Marvelettes

mysterysinger
11-03-2014, 11:27 AM
All the suggestions are great and would probably appear on a 16 Big Hits US release. I'm going to try to make it a strategic fit with the UK Big Hits Series and British Motown Chartbusters such that it could either be Big Hits Volume 12 US or Volume 9 UK.

With that in mind, the addition of "[[We've Got) Honey Love" and "That's How Haartaches Are Made" would seem fair - so in they go! But the Edwin, Supremes/Tempts and Gaye/Terrell tracks mentioned would clash with one or other series. Incidentally, it's one track per artist [[but Marvin Gaye and Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, for example are separate acts and could have a track each - as could Diana Ross/Supremes and Supremes/Tempts).

At what point did the US Chartbusters series kick in?

Motown Eddie
11-03-2014, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=mysterysinger;256780]A "what if" - for you. We know the U.S. 16 Big Hits series stopped at Volume 11. What would have been the tracks on Volume 12? Use your imagination. One thing though - this would have been a stereo release.... I do plan to compile this album in my album player.....

That's a nice idea so here's my lineup for a would be "Collection Of Big Hits, Vol. 12";
1. "When You're Young And In Love"-The Marvelettes
2. "I'm Wondering"-Stevie Wonder
3. "Seven Rooms Of Gloom"-Four Tops
4. "In And Out Of Love"-Diana Ross & the Supremes
5. "You've Made Me So Very Happy"-Brenda Holloway
6. "Number One In Your Heart"-The Monitors
7. "Night 'Fo Last"-Shorty Long
8. "Please Return You Love To Me"-The Temptations
9. "Chained"-Marvin Gaye
10. "One Way Out"-Martha & the Vandellas
11. "I Want My Baby Back"-Edwin Starr
12. "You Must Be Love"-Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
13. "Your Love Grows More Precious Everyday"-The Contours
14. "I Want To Go Back There Again"-Chris Clark
15. "There's A Ghost In My House"-R. Dean Taylor
16. "Got To Have You Back"-The Isley Bros.

mysterysinger
11-03-2014, 03:08 PM
I love all your suggestions guys and gals. This is what I have right now and there are two places remaining. Traditionally I think 1 should be a Diana Ross & The Supremes track and not previously featured on Motown Chartbusters [[US or UK) or 16 Big Hits [[US or UK). We have one suggestion already that might fit.....from Mowsville "i'm gonna make it [[I will wait for you)". Final takers?

Motown Eddie
11-03-2014, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=mysterysinger;257045]I love all your suggestions guys and gals. This is what I have right now and there are two places remaining. Traditionally I think 1 should be a Diana Ross & The Supremes track and not previously featured on Motown Chartbusters [[US or UK) or 16 Big Hits [[US or UK). We have one suggestion already that might fit.....from Mowsville "i'm gonna make it [[I will wait for you)". Final takers?

How about - "Some Things You Never Get Used To"-Diana Ross & the Supremes?

mowsville
11-03-2014, 06:10 PM
hes my sunny boy