PDA

View Full Version : You guys seen this postal video?

test

jillfoster
11-15-2010, 04:22 AM
This takes my breath away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02P4OKTb3OU&feature=related

jobeterob
11-15-2010, 03:05 PM
She owed money! Now she is charged with assault and needs a lawyer. Hope it costs her a lot.

stephanie
11-15-2010, 06:43 PM
I saw this two days ago and she has a mental problem! I hope she gets help the postal worker has a lot of patience.

juicefree20
11-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Having worked for the Postal Service for 20 years, I can tell you that while this lady was dead wrong, the Postal worker made several mistakes which didn't help & in fact escalated the situation. Step-by-step, here's what he did wrong, as what to do in these types of situations have been addressed countless times in endless service talks given Postal Workers...

1. Once he saw what the woman's mental state was, he should've called his superiors IMMEDIATELY.

2. Once the woman removed he arm from inside of his vehicle, he should've left IMMEDIATELY & reported the incident IMMEDIATELY.

BUT...

3. Instead of leaving the situation & reporting it, he continued to engage an obvious angry, drunk or mentally disturbed person.

4. As a public servant, he is well aware that in situations such as these, he is not to add fuel to the fire by entertaining this woman. There was absolutely nothing to gain by doing so & it was obvious that there was nothing that he could've said that would've made that woman listen to reason. All that he did was to inflame the situation & for the reasons I've cited above, that is why he would've been subject to discipline. Firing would be a bit much, but at the very least, he could've received a write-up & likely a suspension.

5. And this is a pretty big one...Unless something has changed in the last 2 years, the Postal Service didn't use that technology in their delivery trucks. If that still holds true [[and I'll inquire into that with a couple of buddies), then again, he would be in serious trouble for having & using a video recording device, be it cell phone, whatever, while operating a Postal vehicle. THAT is totally illegal & every Postal Worker knows this.

If, in fact, this worker has been fired, it's more than likely that it's not merely for this paricular situation, but possibly due to other disciplinary actions that is in his file & possibly because there was a past history of problems with this woman & he was to avoid confronation with her.

Now I'm no fan of Postal management, nor most of their policies, nor treatment of workers & wouldn't side with them on very much of anything. But in this case, this guy is dead wrong & he knows it & so does any other Postal worker. If I was dealing with that woman & she was actng as she was & calling me names, I'd have been pissed off. With that said, I also know that there's no moral victory arguing with a person such as her & doing so isn't going to make her see the error of her ways.

He keeps repeating that he can't take back the certified letter, then when she calls him names, he continues to ask her why she's doing so. I can guarantee you that if she were a 6' 6'', 260 lb. male, he wouldn't have continued to do so. Then when she slaps him, he make these sounds as though he's getting strangled, then sounds quite calm about it. His big mistake & his acknowledgement of it comes around the 3:27 mark, when he asks her if her can call his employer, which is EXACTLY what he SHOULD"VE done, instead of engaging her for 3 minutes plus. And even after saying that, he can't help but to toss out the remark "before you slap me again".

And that leads to another problem...at about 2:00, the cam goes dark for about 5 seconds, but how do we know that it wasn't off for a longer period of time? Had that been a Postal truck camera, there would've been a date stamp & the time. Since the camera goes black, how can anyone say whether he said or did anything that WASN'T so calm & reasoned as when the woman was being taped?

WE DON'T!

While it may appear as though he's displaying a great deal of patience, I don't believe that's his intent. If you listen to the woman & observe her state of mind, then listen to him & consider the length of time in which he engaged her, unless he's dumber than a pet rock, he knows full well that all that he's doing is to further piss her off. Once she signed for the letter, that should've been the end of it. He had several chances within the 1st 30 seconds to leave, but instead chose to ask her "how could it be the wrong person?" & went on for over 2 12 minutes with her, admittedly delaying his route.

While I totally despise this woman's behavior & would love to see her go a few rounds with Vera from Harlem Nights [[not like she'd last 30 seconds with Della's left hook), this guy totally messed up & by attempting to prove a pointless point to a person possessing the mind that she appears to have, he screwed up. I believe that she's screwing with him, so he decided to screw with her. He talked polite & everything, but he saw that she was pissed off & continued to piss her off by even dealing with her.

The bottom line is that after seeing that this was a bad situation, he continued to engage her & that's where he messed up. The rule is that you DO NOT engage anyone in these types of situations. You call a superior, get away if you can, then you file a report. The minute that she became belligerent, he should've been on his phone calling it in. Most old-school Postal folks watching how he handled this situation, would be wondering whether he was angling to get slapped so that he could go out on I.O.D. for trauma, or was on the verge of getting fired & did something desperate in order to try to save his job by way of this incident.

You'll be surprised the kind of things that you see folks do over a 20 year career.

juicefree20
11-16-2010, 09:10 AM
By the way, here's the story via. youtube & experience tells me that there's more to the story than this one incident...

HINGHAM, Mass. -- www.ournewsnow.com
A postal worker who was the victim of a local woman's racist rant has lost his job over the incident.

The racial slurs came from an angry Hingham, Massachusetts woman who was upset about a letter that he wouldn't return.

"Why you calling me names? I mean, I'm just delivering your mail," said the mailman.

A shocking video of the assault was taken by that mailman, and recently, he posted in on YouTube. The incident itself happened just over a year ago.

He told 7NEWS he believes he was fired from the post office because of his plans to make a big deal about the assault, which started with insults and escalated to punches being thrown.

"I think anybody watching that video would say the elements of hate crime were there," said Lt. Mike Peraino from the Hingham Police Department.

Police initially filed charges against the woman, but it never went beyond that, because the mailman backed off, according to police.

"The victim did not want to testify. Again I think the victim felt some compassion for the woman," said Peraino.

Police admit that they've dealt with this woman before. But neighbors weren't surprised by the racist rant.

"We don't have that much to do with her because of the way she is. We don't trust her. We're afraid of her actually," said Guy Steadig, a neighbor.

A year after this disturbing encounter the now former mailman says that he never wanted charges dropped, and is still convinced that it is the reason he lost his job.

The US Post Office released a statement on Friday: "Let me assure you that the employee's job status has nothing whatsoever to do with the video."

That mailman was let go about two and a half weeks after the incident. He told 7NEWS that he was told he was let go because he missed some 90 stops on his mail route."

As angry as I am at that woman, I'm angry at how he handled it because there was definitely a better way to handle this. Instinctively, my immediate reaction was to get pissed off at this woman. Frankly, I'd have loved to see some woman her age pass by & give her a most appropriate azz-whuppin'. The woman's words speak for themselves & her words paint her as a bigot who hasn't seen a stereotype that she didn't agree with.

With that said, when I listened further, I got pissed at him because most of this particular situation was avoidable. Her job wasn't on the line, his was. By reacting as he did, he placed himself directly in the line of fire & most foolish of all, with his own recording, ILLEGALLY taped within the confines of a Postal vehicle, he supplied the P.O. with all of the ammunition that they needed to issue him discipline.

As I said earlier, I believe that there has to have been some past history with this woman. If not, why was he prepared to videotape her And if he did, that was a definite violation of Postal Regulations. You can't use ANY video equipment, cell phone or otherwise for surveillance purposes inside a Postal facility, much less a Postal truck. ESPECIALLY after 911.

There's no way that he can claim ignorance of the law. If he couldn't get results from management, then he should've gotten the Carriers Union involved. Believe it or not, Postal management will REFUSE to have their carrier deliver to a home where heshe may encounter violence or be hurt. Not necessarily because they love their employees so much, more likely because they especially hate paying LEGITIMATELY injured employees.

He didn't give his superiors nor his union a chance to address this particular incident because he chose to address it himself. And he violated several KNOWN Postal regulations in the process. They probably have a bunch of Safety Talks which address these situations with his signature on them. And they'll use those signed papers as a means to get rid of him for not following proper proceedure, as his signature is verification that he was taught the proper proceedure, but failed to adhere to them.

THAT'S how the P.O. rids themselves of folks who may be somewhat a problem. They don't always fire you. Nowadays, they prefer to let you fire yourself.

Downsizing, you know!

jillfoster
11-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the post, juice... great to hear an inside perspective. I watched the video closely right after the 5 second black space, and it doesn't seem that we actually SEE her slap him. And right after, we hear her say "your'e making things up, you idiot", and then "why do you want to do this?" It seems as if you may be on to something, he MAY be as dumb as a pet rock, he certainly doesn't seem to be able to put a sentence together, and stupid people and a crazy woman are a bad combo. It does seem like he's dragging this out for some reason, when I would have high tailed it out of there... how would I know if that old bitch was packing heat? Calling your superiors would have been the thing to do. He should have said as SOON as she got irate... "Let me call a supervisor, and I will let you speak to him", and then if she didn't calm down, step on the gas and leave. This woman is really sad, but this is also a free country, and she has the right to be as big of a c*&t as she wants to be, unfortunately.