PDA

View Full Version : Ashlee Simpson seeks Diana Ross' help to reignite career

test

milven
10-31-2014, 05:34 PM
I think Ashlee is pushing her luck with Diana and may have found the button that sets her off.

Ashlee Simpson wants her superstar mother-in-law Diana Ross to help boost her music career by introducing her to new producers.

Ashlee Simpson has asked Diana Ross to help her reignite her music career.

The 'Pieces of Me' singer, who recently married the legendary singer's son Evan Ross, has reportedly begged her to introduce her to new producers.

A source told OK! magazine: ''Ashlee's constantly hitting up Diana for industry contacts. Diana has no problem helping her son out, and she really does like Ashlee, but she knows a spoiled princess when she sees one.''

The insider added: ''[Ashlee] is really pushing her luck with Diana.''

The 30-year-old beauty married Evan, 26, in a lavish ceremony at Diana's house in Connecticut last month.

The 70-year-old star, who is ordained, was heavily involved in the ceremony and even officiated the couple's wedding and then went on to perform her ballad 'Endless Love' at the service afterwards.

The former Supremes singer previously dismissed rumours of tension between her and Ashlee.

Shortly after their wedding, she said: ''I want only love, happiness, and joy for my son and his bride.''

http://www.contactmusic.com/story/ashlee-simpson-seeks-diana-ross-help-to-reignite-career_4437614

soulster
10-31-2014, 06:27 PM
The only reason I read this thread is to see how they got this information. And, of course, these people want remain anonymous because it's nothing but gossip fueled by personal opinion, and people tend to gossip about people they don't know. How do we know how Ross reacted? The article never says, but the "source", or the writer is good at giving their personal opinion that Ashlee is "pushing her luck". How does anyone know this? Is it fact?

jobeterob
10-31-2014, 06:38 PM
If Diana still cared, I would have thought she'd be the one doing the asking!

arr&bee
10-31-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm getting a seat in the bleachers,this is about to get good.

Lulu
10-31-2014, 08:38 PM
I would say this is total BS. If Evan and Ashlee had any sense, they'd both have a seat. Evan - stick to acting. Ashlee - enjoy your marriage, do some charity and stay out of the biz!

midnightman
10-31-2014, 10:03 PM
Doubt it's true.

soulster
10-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Just another thing to ruffle feathers.

marv2
11-01-2014, 01:19 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

arr&bee
11-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Oh no you don't i paid for these bleacher seats.

soulster
11-01-2014, 02:09 PM
The forum realized it was another attempt to bash Ashlee Simpson. Get your money back.

jillfoster
11-01-2014, 03:55 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Ashlee and Diane didn't get along, she comes off a not very bright, opporotunist. And I wouldn't blame Diane one bit for not liking her. That said, she probably puts on her best fake smile and puts up with her. I think that story is probably true, because only a person as stupid as Ashlee Simpson would ask a woman who hasn't had a hit record in 25 years, to help her get a hit. And you guys who think stories like this aren't true, because no source is cited are WAY off base. The reason no source is cited, is so the source doens't get sued. 99 percent of the time, leaks of gossip come from paid staff of the star [[maids, cooks, gardeners, chauffers, etc) and all these people are made to sign confidentiality agreements when they are hired, so that is the reason the source is always anonymous.

soulster
11-01-2014, 04:26 PM
And, there's always someone who wants to perpetuate this made-up garbage anyway. Ralph has repeatedly said he doesn't want this kind of stuff on the forum, and has already banned one person for starting a similar thread.

Lulu
11-01-2014, 05:24 PM
And, there's always someone who wants to perpetuate this made-up garbage anyway. Ralph has repeatedly said he doesn't want this kind of stuff on the forum, and has already banned one person for starting a similar thread.

That, and it invites the usual anti-Ross trolls. Talk about zzzzzzzzzzzzz

soulster
11-01-2014, 06:20 PM
That, and it invites the usual anti-Ross trolls. Talk about zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pro-Ross trolls = anti-Ross trolls. I'm cool with Ross talk as long as it's about the music. You've seen that. It's the gossip and other frivolous stuff I can really do without. It brings out the hostility in a lot of us.

Lulu
11-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Pro-Ross trolls = anti-Ross trolls. I'm cool with Ross talk as long as it's about the music. You've seen that. It's the gossip and other frivolous stuff I can really do without. It brings out the hostility in a lot of us.

Oh I agree. Hell, the damn thread about Aretha's salacious unauthorized biography did it as well. Ashlee is so not on my radar! I just wanted to see what Diana was wearing as she and Mary always bring out the glam and the Supremes as fashion icons is interesting as are their performances at charity events! This tawdry garbage in this thread and Ashlee and Evan in the airport, etc...all snooze to me!

marv2
11-02-2014, 01:49 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if Ashlee and Diane didn't get along, she comes off a not very bright, opporotunist. And I wouldn't blame Diane one bit for not liking her. That said, she probably puts on her best fake smile and puts up with her. I think that story is probably true, because only a person as stupid as Ashlee Simpson would ask a woman who hasn't had a hit record in 25 years, to help her get a hit.

It's been more like 30 years....................but who's counting?

Glenpwood
11-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Someone remind me again which Hitsville era acts are still having pop hits while poor Diana isn't?

It's 2014 and its a 70 year old artist folks are expecting to whip out hit singles while they don't call out the rest of the Motown roster for failing to do the same is absurd.

I think a case of an innocent fantasy becoming a fixed delusion has occured here....

jobeterob
11-02-2014, 02:56 PM
I noticed on Wikipedia it refers to some EMI reports and says I Love You sold 600000 odd copies worldwide; can't possibly be. That's a hit I guess. Particularly when compared to so many struggling artists who only ever sold a few thousand albums in a career.

soulster
11-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Oh I agree. Hell, the damn thread about Aretha's salacious unauthorized biography did it as well. Ashlee is so not on my radar! I just wanted to see what Diana was wearing as she and Mary always bring out the glam and the Supremes as fashion icons is interesting as are their performances at charity events! This tawdry garbage in this thread and Ashlee and Evan in the airport, etc...all snooze to me!

They are young and happy newlyweds. Let them be. Maybe someone has a problem with her because she's a white girl.

soulster
11-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Someone remind me again which Hitsville era acts are still having pop hits while poor Diana isn't?

It's 2014 and its a 70 year old artist folks are expecting to whip out hit singles while they don't call out the rest of the Motown roster for failing to do the same is absurd.

Doesn't matter. Most veteran Motown artists are...dead! Lionel Richie and Smokey Robinson are about the only two I can think of who have gotten anywhere close to the singles charts in the last several years. Michael Jackson did it, but posthumously.

soulster
11-02-2014, 03:19 PM
I noticed on Wikipedia it refers to some EMI reports and says I Love You sold 600000 odd copies worldwide; can't possibly be. That's a hit I guess. Particularly when compared to so many struggling artists who only ever sold a few thousand albums in a career.

They must've forgotten the decimal point right after the 6, because it sounds like someone's delusional fantasy.

jobeterob
11-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Doesn't matter. Most veteran Motown artists are...dead! Lionel Richie and Smokey Robinson are about the only two I can think of who have gotten anywhere close to the singles charts in the last several years. Michael Jackson did it, but posthumously.

But you skipped any album chart! And I think Ross, the Temptations and Ross/Supremes have made some of the charts, especially any time SHE tours!

soulster
11-02-2014, 04:36 PM
But you skipped any album chart! And I think Ross, the Temptations and Ross/Supremes have made some of the charts, especially any time SHE tours!
Are you talking about NEW albums or OLD albums that people started buying again for some reason? That makes a difference. I'm talking about NEW recordings singles or albums. I'm also talking about albums and singles that actually get high enough on the charts to compete with the Pitbulls, Imagine Dragons, Ariana Grandes, and Nicki Minaz of the world.

Lulu
11-02-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure what constitutes a "hit". Are we talking #1? Are we talking any chart impact at all?

I've compiled Diana Ross's chart history for the last ten years on these boards numerous times. Below are the singles and albums that charted in the Top 40 on US charts as well as the UK as we have several members from the UK in the forum.

Unfortunately, the two folks who've provided their own dates above have repeatedly shown that they don't deal in facts but rather personal biases. The truth is, no other Supreme has had ANY Top 40 anything since the group disbanded in 1977. Frankly, no other Supreme ever will [[living or dead, "audio interviews" included).

For the last time, here are the facts kids. No fallacies or delusions. If you want unit counts, perhaps someone else will chime in:

Singles

"When You Tell Me That You Love Me" [[duet with Westlife), #2 UK [[2005)

"I've Got A Crush On You" [[duet with Rod Stewart), #19 US AC [[2006)

Albums

Blue, #2 US Jazz [[2006)

I Love You, #32 US Pop, #16 US R&B [[2007)

Lulu
11-02-2014, 05:21 PM

Correct. Historic albums for all Motown artists have sold consistently well on iTunes and Amazon, especially in the digital age. Marvin Gaye, no surprise to anyone, is usually the best-selling, followed by Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Lionel Richie, The Supremes, and Diana Ross. Occasionally, we'll see a Marvelettes or Vandellas compilation pop up and the Jacksons are pretty solidly represented although, again as no surprise, Michael's solo career blows everyone I've already mentioned out of the water.

soulster
11-02-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure what constitutes a "hit". Are we talking #1? Are we talking any chart impact at all?

I've compiled Diana Ross's chart history for the last ten years on these boards numerous times. Below are the singles and albums that charted in the Top 40 on US charts as well as the UK as we have several members from the UK in the forum.

Unfortunately, the two folks who've provided their own dates above have repeatedly shown that they don't deal in facts but rather personal biases. The truth is, no other Supreme has had ANY Top 40 anything since the group disbanded in 1977. Frankly, no other Supreme ever will [[living or dead, "audio interviews" included).

For the last time, here are the facts kids. No fallacies or delusions. If you want unit counts, perhaps someone else will chime in:

Singles

"When You Tell Me That You Love Me" [[duet with Westlife), #2 UK [[2005)

"I've Got A Crush On You" [[duet with Rod Stewart), #19 US AC [[2006)

Albums

Blue, #2 US Jazz [[2006)

I Love You, #32 US Pop, #16 US R&B [[2007)

I don't have any problem with the stats. But, those singles are nowhere. The AC and jazz chart is pretty much insignificant in the scheme of things these days. Again, is she [[or Rod Stewart) competing with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Barbra Streisand like back in the 70s and 80s? As a guy who came up in the 60s, 70s, i'm all for veteran artists making big comebacks to the charts. If Ross gets one too, that would be cool.

Lulu
11-02-2014, 05:54 PM
The industry is so youth obsessed as we've discussed. Even Streisand who's arguably the most successful of the lot in terms of album sales, ain't gonna score any single hits or Top 40 airplay off of that [[fabulous, I might add) album.

Either way, we're all adults here and I think we could stand to stop the name calling and digs on these senior citizens we've been discussing!

soulster
11-02-2014, 06:08 PM
The industry is so youth obsessed as we've discussed. Even Streisand who's arguably the most successful of the lot in terms of album sales, ain't gonna score any single hits or Top 40 airplay off of that [[fabulous, I might add) album. Except that back in the day, Barbra Streisand was big with the youth. She, along with Neil Sedaka and Paul Anka had top 10 hits.

Either way, we're all adults here and I think we could stand to stop the name calling and digs on these senior citizens we've been discussing!

What are you going on about? No one here is dissing senior citizens or calling anyone names. You're dreaming up problems where there are none.

Lulu
11-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Except that back in the day, Barbra Streisand was big with the youth. She, along with Neil Sedaka and Paul Anka had top 10 hits.

What are you going on about? No one here is dissing senior citizens or calling anyone names. You're dreaming up problems where there are none.

I was joking but yes, the insults on these "ladies of a certain age" started when Aretha put that album out! Can't we leave their past weight or addictions to booze, cocaine or fried chicken out of the discourse?!? LOL

soulster
11-02-2014, 07:10 PM
I was joking but yes, the insults on these "ladies of a certain age" started when Aretha put that album out! Can't we leave their past weight or addictions to booze, cocaine or fried chicken out of the discourse?!? LOL
I am not the one doing that.

BTW, it's been a long time since i've had some fried chicken. Hmmm...sounds like dinner!

Lulu
11-02-2014, 08:15 PM
I am not the one doing that.

BTW, it's been a long time since i've had some fried chicken. Hmmm...sounds like dinner!

Well, tis the season so all I can offer for the next two months is fried turkey!

jillfoster
11-02-2014, 08:52 PM
The industry is so youth obsessed as we've discussed. Even Streisand who's arguably the most successful of the lot in terms of album sales, ain't gonna score any single hits or Top 40 airplay off of that [[fabulous, I might add) album.

I ain't dissing, just facts. When I say HIT RECORD, I mean top 20 on the hot 100 or top 20 on the album chart. Top 40 is still a hit, just a middle of the road hit, not a big one. My point was that if Diane had inroads on some way to get a hit record, be it with producers or wrtiers or whatever, she's use it HERSELF, not give it to that skanky heffa of a daughter in law she's got. and I have news for you, "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" deserved to be a top 10 hit. it was a great song. Unfortunately, she only got the chart action in the UK because of the westlife thing, when you hook your wagon to a hot boy band with all the screaming teenyboppers peeing themselves over them, you can't help but have a hit.

marv2
11-02-2014, 09:27 PM
I ain't dissing, just facts. When I say HIT RECORD, I mean top 20 on the hot 100 or top 20 on the album chart. Top 40 is still a hit, just a middle of the road hit, not a big one. My point was that if Diane had inroads on some way to get a hit record, be it with producers or wrtiers or whatever, she's use it HERSELF, not give it to that skanky heffa of a daughter in law she's got. and I have news for you, "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" deserved to be a top 10 hit. it was a great song. Unfortunately, she only got the chart action in the UK because of the westlife thing, when you hook your wagon to a hot boy band with all the screaming teenyboppers peeing themselves over them, you can't help but have a hit.

Here it says it didn't even make the Hot 100 in the U.S., that it bombed completely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Ross_discography

Roberta75
11-02-2014, 09:28 PM
"skanky heffa of a daughter in law"

really!!!! Is there any need for such hostility and vindictivness Have you met Dianes daughter in law? If you cant say something nice why not say nothing at all?

roberta

Lulu
11-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Here it says it didn't even make the Hot 100 in the U.S., that it bombed completely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Ross_discography

Newsflash:

I specifically mentioned chart activity over the last ten years which would include the "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" remake with Westlife which charted at #2 in 2005.

Jillfoster referenced the original version which also hit #2 in the UK.

We all know it didn't chart in the US and no one claimed it did so once again, you posted for no reason. Did anything from Walk The Line chart anywhere? Maybe on Planet Marv .

marv2
11-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Newsflash:

I specifically mentioned chart activity over the last ten years which would include the "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" remake with Westlife which charted at #2 in 2005.

Jillfoster referenced the original version which also hit #2 in the UK.

We all know it didn't chart in the US and no one claimed it did so once again, you posted for no reason. Did anything from Walk The Line chart anywhere? Maybe on Planet Marv .

EVERYTHING That Diane has released in last 30 years in the United States has bombed [[in regards to the Hot 100......).

Lulu
11-02-2014, 10:01 PM
EVERYTHING That Diane has released in last 30 years in the United States has bombed [[in regards to the Hot 100......).

No one argued that point and you're the only one talking about the US charts so I'm not sure what the point of your posts is? None of the veteran artists have been making waves on the singles charts here for years so who cares!

marv2
11-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Who cares? No one said any of her singles charted. I'm not sure what the point of your posts is?

Just sayin'..................................

Lulu
11-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Just sayin'..................................

If we're talking US Hot 100 singles, let's take a look at the other veterans.

Not a whole hell of a lot in the last 10, 15, almost 20 years for these folks:

Aretha Franklin's last "hit" was "Here We Go Again" [[#76, 1998)

Patti LaBelle's last "hit" was "When You Talk About Love" [[#56, 1997)

Dionne Warwick's last "hit" was "What The World Needs Now" [[#87, 1998)

Gladys Knight's last "hit" was "Missing You" [[#25, 1996)

Tina Turner's last "hit" was "Missing You" [[#84, 1996)

Cher's last "hit" was "Song For The Lonely" [[#85, 2002)

Barbra Streisand's last "hit" was "I Finally Found Someone" [[#8, 1996)

Do we honestly believe any of these women will hit the Hot 100 again?

jillfoster
11-02-2014, 10:24 PM

Maybe, maybe not. But like I said, if they did have a clue on how to get a hit record, they'd use it for themselves. Sorry, but I can't have one iota of respect for someone who does this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26CN2Q_d8EU

Lulu
11-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Maybe, maybe not. But like I said, if they did have a clue on how to get a hit record, they'd use it for themselves. Sorry, but I can't have one iota of respect for someone who does this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26CN2Q_d8EU

That was the end for Ashlee. Like I said, she should just retire from the biz, be a wife and mom and maybe do some charity work or hell, start a clothing line - Jessica has made MILLIONS!

As for Diana helping, no way, no how and neither would any of the other ladies. When was the last time you had a "protege" of theirs hit the scene?

marv2
11-02-2014, 11:19 PM

None of what you listed has been as long as 30 years ago. Diane has not hit anything in more than a generation......................

Lulu
11-03-2014, 12:00 AM
None of what you listed has been as long as 30 years ago. Diane has not hit anything in more than a generation......................

I8 years is a long time and also "a generation". I'm not sure why it matters. DianA's last Hot 100 hit was "Experience" [[#64, 1986). 1986 was actually 28 years ago if we're being precise.

If any of the women above ever hit the Hot 100 again, you can guarantee I'll pick up the cheque for you and a +1 to dine at any restaurant in Manhattan. You just let me know and I'll phone in with my credit card.

Ryon6
11-03-2014, 12:09 AM
When was Mary Wilson's last hit?

marv2
11-03-2014, 12:10 AM
I8 years is a long time and also "a generation". I'm not sure why it matters. DianA's last Hot 100 hit was "Experience" [[#64, 1986). 1986 was actually 28 years ago if we're being precise.

That's not true. That record [["Experience") did even not make the charts at all in the U.S. I don't think I've even heard of that song before. I believe Aretha is pretty high up on the charts right now. Diana Ross' recording career kinda ended in the 80's.

Lulu
11-03-2014, 12:32 AM
That's not true. That record [["Experience") did even not make the charts at all in the U.S. I don't think I've even heard of that song before. I believe Aretha is pretty high up on the charts right now. Diana Ross' recording career kinda ended in the 80's.

My mistake. "Experience" from Eaten Alive charted in the UK. "Chain Reaction" charted here in the US in 1986 at #66. Aretha's album will sell well for a few weeks but she'll have no singles on The Hot 100.

On that note, I'm kinda ending this conversation. I'll let someone else entertain this conversation for the 1,000,000th time. I've got to go watch my stories.

marv2
11-03-2014, 12:44 AM
My mistake. "Experience" from Eaten Alive charted in the UK. "Chain Reaction" charted here in the US in 1986 at #66. Aretha's album will sell well for a few weeks but she'll have no singles on The Hot 100.

On that note, I'm kinda ending this conversation. I'll let someone else entertain this conversation for the 1,000,000th time. I've got to go watch my stories.

I'm not done yet. What I find most amazing is that Diane has had some very high profile opportunities to debut her later material, i.e the Super Bowl, American Music Awards, Oprah Winfrey Show multiple times and each time her music has been soundly rejected by the American Public! Why? I know most artists would kill for that kind of exposure. She had it and couldn't even get one hit from all those really big shows........

soulster
11-03-2014, 01:09 AM
I ain't dissing, just facts. When I say HIT RECORD, I mean top 20 on the hot 100 or top 20 on the album chart. Top 40 is still a hit, just a middle of the road hit, not a big one.

That was my point, too.

not give it to that skanky heffa of a daughter in law she's got.

Now, do you know this for a fact? Ralph doesn't want this stuff here. He could ban you for this.

and I have news for you, "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" deserved to be a top 10 hit. it was a great song. Unfortunately, she only got the chart action in the UK because of the westlife thing, when you hook your wagon to a hot boy band with all the screaming teenyboppers peeing themselves over them, you can't help but have a hit.

Exactly! She's be snaggin' Rihanna's producers! Or, maybe she should have done a duet album with Tony Bennett.

soulster
11-03-2014, 01:25 AM
That's not true. That record [["Experience") did even not make the charts at all in the U.S. I don't think I've even heard of that song before. I believe Aretha is pretty high up on the charts right now. .

According to Billboard, Aretha id at #13. Barbra Streisand and neil Diamond are both in the top 10, and Tony Bennett is also in the top 10 with Lady Gaga.

If Ross wants to get back on the top ten, she has to get a label deal, do an album of standards with some other singers, and promote the hell out of it. It really doesn't have to be contemporary pop.

The cold reality is that Ross is only huge within her fan base. She's got to parlay that back into the mainstream. She also has to repair her image after reports of "diva" behavior. Sorry, but it's a hard fact that her image, at least in the U.S., is damaged. We are living in the internet era.

People like Aretha, Natalie Cole, Barbra Streisand have kept their name out there and have been releasing albums all this time. But, they have been able to do it because of image, image, image, and keeping product out there! I can't stress that enough!

soulster
11-03-2014, 01:28 AM

Oh, it's very possible! Same with some of the men, like Rod Stewart, who's been releasing excellent standards albums for a decade that have been wildly successful, despite the horror from his old fanbase that wants a reunion album with Faces.

What kind of albums has Ross been releasing? And, don't count out Ashlee Simpson. With the way today's pop market is, she could get herself back on the charts. All it takes is the right music and producers. I also don't believe for a minute the mess the OP started this thread with.

soulster
11-03-2014, 01:32 AM
When was Mary Wilson's last hit? Don't start.

marybrewster
11-03-2014, 11:12 AM
I highly doubt this story. It makes it sound that Ashlee married Evan just for Diana's contacts. With no offense, Diana hasn't had a record since "I Love You." She should have married Chaz Bono.

Ashlee needs to take a lesson from her sister; if there is anyone that has reinvented themselves, it's Jessica.

soulster
11-03-2014, 12:35 PM
I highly doubt this story. It makes it sound that Ashlee married Evan just for Diana's contacts. With no offense, Diana hasn't had a record since "I Love You." She should have married Chaz Bono.

Ashlee needs to take a lesson from her sister; if there is anyone that has reinvented themselves, it's Jessica.
Look at Britney Spears: she had a meltdown, shaved her head, got her kid taken away from her, and had a very public breakup. But, she climbed back to the top of the charts .

vgalindo
11-03-2014, 01:31 PM

I think a case of an innocent fantasy becoming a fixed delusion has occured here....
Glenpwwod. I agree 100% I couldn't have said it better.

Lulu
11-03-2014, 04:47 PM

It's true about Chaz Bono. At least Ashlee could win over the gay dudes. I never got the whole Cher thing, still don't but more power to her and her fans!

Lulu
11-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Glenpwwod. I agree 100% I couldn't have said it better.

Well, it's Diana Ross after all. Heaven knows if you start naming names of other gals from the Motown roster and their lack of any substantial chart movement in the last FORTY plus years, the comparisons become irrelevant. Heck, even the divine Gladys Knight's "Missing You" in 1996 was a group effort with Brandy, Tamia, and Chaka Khan. Methinks, as jillfoster said regarding Westlife and the "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" remake, Gladys and Chaka wouldn't have made a dent as a duo. The younger girls clearly took that song to the charts. Prior to that, Gladys's last Hot 100 hit was "Love Overboard" in 1987, one year after "Chain Reaction". Then again, who's counting? Right, guys?

stephanie
11-04-2014, 04:01 PM
The cold reality is that Ross is only huge within her fan base. She's got to parlay that back into the mainstream. She also has to repair her image after reports of "diva" behavior. Sorry, but it's a hard fact that her image, at least in the U.S., is damaged. We are living in the internet era.>>>>>>

Soulster I normally agree with most of the things you post. Ross can sell out when it comes to live performances at MOST of the venues where she chooses to perform. Personally I dont think that the DIVA thing has destroyed her image and its not the Mary Wilson thing either. Most of her problems have come from the alcohol thing and RTL. I personally think the moniker of Call Her Miss Ross and the Randy book did more to tarnish her image than anything. With that being said I believe it is all water under the bridge now and she doesnt need any image repairing. When she was a mentor on American Idol that was a chance to do something but her voice and performance was not up to par. Again time has passed and I dont think that there is anything she needs to do to change her image at this point. The fact she is STILL out there performing and getting good reviews speaks for itself. By the way I am a fan of Diana's but not a rabid one. I am more of a rabid Johnny Rivers and Supremes fan.

Lulu
11-04-2014, 05:11 PM
The cold reality is that Ross is only huge within her fan base. She's got to parlay that back into the mainstream. She also has to repair her image after reports of "diva" behavior. Sorry, but it's a hard fact that her image, at least in the U.S., is damaged. We are living in the internet era.>>>>>>

Soulster I normally agree with most of the things you post. Ross can sell out when it comes to live performances at MOST of the venues where she chooses to perform. Personally I dont think that the DIVA thing has destroyed her image and its not the Mary Wilson thing either. Most of her problems have come from the alcohol thing and RTL. I personally think the moniker of Call Her Miss Ross and the Randy book did more to tarnish her image than anything. With that being said I believe it is all water under the bridge now and she doesnt need any image repairing. When she was a mentor on American Idol that was a chance to do something but her voice and performance was not up to par. Again time has passed and I dont think that there is anything she needs to do to change her image at this point. The fact she is STILL out there performing and getting good reviews speaks for itself. By the way I am a fan of Diana's but not a rabid one. I am more of a rabid Johnny Rivers and Supremes fan.

I think things have softened in the last few years as well. The Kennedy Center Honor was a huge deal. I'll be interested to see if Gladys, Dionne, Patti, Cher, or Bette join the ranks. Aretha and Barbra are really the only other divas of that generation to receive the award.

In Dreamgirls, Beyonce's Deena was a fairly sympathetic character and Diana is portrayed the same way in Motown.

I would say most see her as a doting mother and grandmother these days. Appearing on the last season of Oprah's show with the family earned her some points - even her harshest critics among my group of friends caved!

Anywhoo, she may put another album out which will sell well for a while but the "hit" single market for those ladies is simply non-existent.

reese
11-04-2014, 05:55 PM
I think things have softened in the last few years as well. The Kennedy Center Honor was a huge deal. I'll be interested to see if Gladys, Dionne, Patti, Cher, or Bette join the ranks. Aretha and Barbra are really the only other divas of that generation to receive the award.

Don't forget Tina. :-)

soulster
11-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Personally I dont think that the DIVA thing has destroyed her image and its not the Mary Wilson thing either. Most of her problems have come from the alcohol thing and RTL. I personally think the moniker of Call Her Miss Ross and the Randy book did more to tarnish her image than anything. With that being said I believe it is all water under the bridge now and she doesnt need any image repairing.

I'm not familiar with those two books, or anything in them. I'm saying that as far as the the mainstream audience is concerned, there is still water on that bridge and hasn't subsided. They remember things all the way back to the days of The Supremes. Her fanbase has moved on, but the rest of the public hasn't. If she wants back on the mainstream pop and R&B charts, she has to repair her image. I don't know how she'll do that, but that has to be taken care of.

It's good that her alcoholism is behind her. So, what she needs to do is talk about it, and all that other stuff. Get it all out there, including the thing with Berry Gordy. Once it's all out there, the gossip and rumors, and any lies, will be gone.

Ashlee's task is much easier. She's young and doesn't have 50 years of history behind her. She doesn't have anything to live up to, either. She's fresh meat. She's still being ridiculed for that SNL debacle, but all she really has to do is get a good album out there with heavy promotion, and she could do it.

I'm talking from the perspective of a non-gay, casual fan who does not worship the floor she walks on. We are not hardcore fans, like the ones on this forum.

Lulu
11-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Don't forget Tina. :-)

AND Tina! But of course!

Lulu
11-04-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm not familiar with those two books, or anything in them. I'm saying that the mainstream audience is concerned, there is still water on that bridge and hasn't subsided. They remember things all the way back to the days of The Supremes. Her fanbase has moved on, but the rest of the public hasn't. If she wants back on the mainstream pop and R&B charts, she has to repair her image. I don't know how she'll do that, but that has to be taken care of.

It's good that her alcoholism is behind her. So, what she needs to do is talk about it, and all that other stuff. Get it all out there, including the thing with Berry Gordy. Once it's all out there, the gossip and rumors, and any lies, will be gone.

Ashlee's task is much easier. She's young and doesn't have 50 years of history behind her. She doesn't have anything to live up to, either. She's fresh meat. She's still being ridiculed for that SNL debacle, but all she really has to do is get a good album out there with heavy promotion, and she could do it.

I'm talking from the perspective of a non-gay, casual fan who does not worship the floor she walks on. We are not hardcore fans, like the ones on this forum.

Hmm...don't really know of any "lingering" issues the public may have with Ross. Folks my parents age and older can barely remember the other girls' names. My mother still calls Mary Wilson "Mary Wells" and then I put "Two Lovers" on and she reminisces about her "cha cha" days at the sock hops. Like I said, Dreamgirls and Motown portray her in a positive light. The thing with Berry Gordy was addressed in Motown and she's talked of Rhonda's parentage on a few occasions. As for their "relationship", it began in 1965 after the group had their first run of #1 hits and Ross had already been dubbed lead singer. I'm not sure what else she could say at this point or needs to. Remember, she's a very private person like Streisand. Frankly, Streisand, LaBelle, and Franklin all have been reported to be difficult so I'm not sure why any speculative public dismay towards her should be viewed any differently. Motown and R&B fans are certainly more likely to rake her over the coals because of the whole..."why did she get to be such a star when they were women with better voices out there?" argument that we've heard a million times.

Jaap
11-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Back in 2004, when Diana Ross appeared on the View, she was asked about the Ashlee Simpson lip-synch controversy... she replied "I don't know what that is!" -- around 4.20 into the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ma3MC2wmJw
Bet she could not have guessed that would become her daughter in law!

Lulu
11-04-2014, 06:39 PM
I mean....

http://www.marthastewart.com/998569/turn-favorite-phrases-themed-cards#998569

soulster
11-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Hmm...don't really know of any "lingering" issues the public may have with Ross.

Like being arrested for drunk driving in Tucson...like how she showed up at Florence Ballard's funeral late, and in a limo...how she made an ass out of herself at the Motown 25th year TV special...those aren't just things the DR haters remember, that's what the general public remembers.

Roberta75
11-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Like being arrested for drunk driving in Tucson...like how she showed up at Florence Ballard's funeral late, and in a limo...how she made an ass out of herself at the Motown 25th year TV special...those aren't just things the DR haters remember, that's what the general public remembers.

For a casual non Gay fan you sure spend a lot of time discussing Diane Ross.

Lulu
11-04-2014, 10:03 PM

Do they really? I don't think the public even knows who Florence Ballard is at this point or remembers Motown 25. I'm not defending her. In fact, I can be pretty constructively critical when it comes to her image and MANY of her recordings [[don't get me started on The Wiz either). Those things you mention were certainly low points and if I may, the black community probably holds onto those things longer than the public at large. I just know that in the last ten years that I've been seeing her on the road in concerts, the reception among friends and colleagues, none of whom are fans, is mostly warm. Looking at the reviews for the last ten years of touring along with comments I've gotten, it's typically the folks remembering all the hits and the glamorous image/gowns. I can't think of the last time someone mentioned any of the incidents above save for the Pantages in 2004, arguably her greatest solo performance where many said she rose above the hard times including the Tuscon situation which happened in 2002. Her back catalog, particularly The #1s, The Ultimate Collection [[The Supremes) and All The Great Hits usually sells better when she's on tour.

Lulu
11-04-2014, 10:28 PM
For a casual non Gay fan you sure spend a lot of time discussing Diane Ross.

LOL. He's not the one I worry about, dear...

soulster
11-04-2014, 11:57 PM
LOL. He's not the one I worry about, dear... I really don't spend much time discussing her. But, that's almost all this forum cares to talk about.

Lulu
11-05-2014, 12:32 AM
I really don't spend much time discussing her. But, that's almost all this forum cares to talk about.

If it's that troublesome to you, why weigh in? Surely Shorty Long and Marv Johnson could use a few more threads here.

Globally, she and Michael Jackson are arguably the biggest names to come out of Motown. Sadly, Michael is no longer with us so that relegates the discussion to Ross who is still touring.

If you can find any recent notes about Ross that reference the reputation deterrents you mentioned, I'd be curious to see them. I see mostly, if not all, positive reviews from her concerts and really nothing negative. That may help us understand your theory that she is widely unpopular.

jobeterob
11-05-2014, 01:52 AM

You need to go buying the Motown 25 DVD and read the huge booklet that goes with it and you will see the Motown is about the Family and the Love ~ you will see Marvin and Diana together during the day; you will see how they all rushed for Berry, like they all still do.

Only a few fans that have terrible obsessions wallow in their own unhappiness and drag Motown, the Supremes, Diana Ross, and Soulful Detroit into it.

You are a better fan than that and should not become part of it.

That was not Motown, yesterday, today or forever.

soulster
11-05-2014, 02:28 AM
If it's that troublesome to you, why weigh in? Surely Shorty Long and Marv Johnson could use a few more threads here.

Because I still happen to like the music.

Lulu
11-05-2014, 02:48 AM
Because I still happen to like the music.

And the rest of us are here for what, exactly? Whether or not Diana wore her fanny pack to Ralph's last week?

BTW, here's Florence's family with Mary Wilson at the Motown: The Musical opening in Detroit last week. The funeral scenario you described really seems to have deterred them from setting foot in theatre where the Berry/Diana love fest plays out on stage...

soulster
11-05-2014, 08:34 AM
And the rest of us are here for what, exactly?

From the looks of it, it usually ain't about music.

milven
11-05-2014, 09:03 AM
From the looks of it, it usually ain't about music.

And this statement about a Motown star is about the music? :confused:

soulster
11-05-2014, 09:16 PM
And this statement about a Motown star is about the music? :confused: That was in a reply to what people remember about her. Nice try, though.