PDA

View Full Version : UMG Teases at "Baby It's Me" Release

test

Lulu
10-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Two photos were posted today on the "Diana Ross & The Supremes: Expanded Edition" Facebook page:

thanxal
10-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Can we get a tease for Supremes A Go Go? I'm still waiting on edge of seat since Andy teased multiple alternate versions of Itching on Nightflight.

Philles/Motown Gary
10-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Thanks, Lulu. This is exciting news! The date on the remastering [[above) is 2012. That was about the time when the booklet in The Supremes' Expanded "I Hear A Symphony" CD's advertised Diana's Expanded "Baby It's You" as an additional CD title available for purchase. Here it is the middle of October 2014, and Keith said that we'll have it by the end of the year. Looks like it might be right around the corner along with "The Supremes a Go-Go" Expanded. It just might be a Motown Christmas after all!

jobeterob
10-22-2014, 11:31 PM
I see Andy and other posting on Facebook today about this. Awesome. All the RCA CDS, Motown 25 at #1, and Baby It's Me!

vgalindo
10-22-2014, 11:59 PM
This is fantastic news. I hope it's going to be a double CD. Keeping my fingers crossed.

lakedistrictlad1
10-23-2014, 03:58 AM
And about time. Aside from 'Funny Girl' [[which didn't count as it wasn't physical), this must be the first Hip-O release this year. If it is this year.

longtimefan
10-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Yep, two year tease!!!! It just is totally odd to me. What's the big issue for holding back???

Lulu
10-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Yep, two year tease!!!! It just is totally odd to me. What's the big issue for holding back???

I think Andy & George have lost a little control over what gets released and when since Hip-O dissolved into the larger UMG umbrella. I'm sure they've been working as hard as they can to get this stuff out there for us!

djessie
10-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Oooooh, can't wait for more info!!!

longtimefan
10-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Right, Lulu! We know that Andy, George, and Kevin are the worker bees that share our love of the music. I am sure that the UMG leadership has other priorities, and that's probably an understatement. :-)

By the way, does anyone know if Harry is still around? I haven't seen any posts by him or references to him in ages.

daviddh
10-23-2014, 08:22 PM
I am under the impression that Universal still does not think we want these expanded cds after I received an email yesterday. so I sent a note off to universal Motown to express my disappointment in the constant delays of the Motown expanded editions.
I'd liked to ask everyone to do same

daviddh
10-23-2014, 08:39 PM
email universal at: classic.motown@umusic.com

longtimefan
10-23-2014, 09:29 PM
I am under the impression that Universal still does not think we want these expanded cds after I received an email yesterday. so I sent a note off to universal Motown to express my disappointment in the constant delays of the Motown expanded editions.
I'd liked to ask everyone to do same

David,
What did their email say that indicated that they did not think fans wanted these expanded CDs? Just curious.....

alanbill1074
10-24-2014, 05:25 AM
I think many of us already did that, and nobody responded, or at least not to me anyway.

I've kind of written both this one and Ross off mentally now. If they happen, they happen, if not, so be it. It's just very frustrating that the two albums from the 70s I most wanted expanded editions on were these, and when we get to them it all fell apart. Instead we got The Copa, which I have to say wasn't probably the best choice and no doubt sales weren't great, which might have contributed to the situation we are now in. I guess UMG see the remaining Ross albums as having similar potential to The Copa and maybe don't feel it's worth the cost of the man hours and manufacture. Internally the tape transfers will all be racking up costs [[you'd be amazed how many tracks don't make compilations simply because a label doesn't want the £50 tape transfer cost on their budget).

lakedistrictlad1
10-24-2014, 08:25 AM
I think I am going to buy the Japanese version of 'Ross' from CDJapan before it gets deleted. I'm not holding out for a Hip-O edition.

nathanj06
10-24-2014, 08:40 AM
It seems very irresponsible to announce these limited editions and then not say anything or update the people who really want them. In the meantime you become frustrated and buy reissues from Culture Factory and so forth and in most cases when they finally are released we buy them again. I don't buy the cost of producing these a factor. While some sell poorly, other's have sold out or did very well. Surf through amazon and see the amazing releases that are available. For example, they did a twofer on four Patty Duke albums. Who would have thought you'd ever see those again? The Supremes being as famous as they were deserve the same treatment as The Beatles and look what they did for them. I would have been happy with a complete album set without extra tracks like the few Culture Factory did with the original artwork yet they've only done very few. Any information regarding the limited/expanded editions should be coming from Harry and Andrew instead of letting us all hang. A Go Go and Baby It's Me? Nice but where are they? If they can do an expanded At The Copa they can do the entire catalogue.

thanxal
10-24-2014, 08:53 AM
If they can do an expanded At The Copa they can do the entire catalogue.
It would be nice if this were so, but it isn't. As Andy explained on NightFlight, each release has to get approval and many times they are left hanging themselves as to whether or not a product will be released, whether or not it will be physical, etc. This is absolutely normal for the industry. What we all have to remember is how infinitesimally small the market for Motown re-issues is vs. the rest of the industry. I personally am consistently amazed at what we are able to get. Just don't buy the lesser releases and wait for the ones you really want. Both titles have long been released... it's not like we're waiting for completely new material.

Any information regarding the limited/expanded editions should be coming from Harry and Andrew instead of letting us all hang

They indeed did update us on NightFlight a few weeks ago. Andy was on that show and updated us and then a bunch of people [[myself included) posted and reposted it here.

That said... I still can't wait for A Go Go.

longtimefan
10-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Yes, thanxal, Andy is a good guy and a FAN, but his radio chats are not official. As Nathanj clearly outlined above, we as customers, actually do not receive definitive information in the past couple if years. I am certain it's about the "money." And, once again, NO OFFICIAL website with information about releases exists. Motown releases have been significantly marginalized, i.e., no more HipO.

As Alanbill said above, writing to Universal is an exercise in futility. Their same business model that includes no regularly updated informational website also includes not responding to customers. See Soul Music releases for a user friendly UPDATED website.

I personally do not subscribe to the concept that we are lucky for all that we have received in the past and therefore should appreciate any morsel in the that we receive in the future. We are "customers" and are willing to pay money.

thanxal
10-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Longtimefan,
True, but producers, etc. are most often not allowed/authorized to make statements about products. And there is no constitutional right to buying stuff. I am constantly amazed at how people can get incredibly petulant over something they want not being available, immediately available or delayed. For instance, the Apple support pages are filled with people having fits about their iPhone 6 not being delivered the moment it was announced. Let's face it, Motown reissues are not a huge market and if the dedicated fans start becoming a headache, then I could easily see these big conglomerates writing us off. Then what will we get?

That's just my opinion and I respect yours.

marybrewster
10-24-2014, 12:57 PM
And about time. Aside from 'Funny Girl' [[which didn't count as it wasn't physical), this must be the first Hip-O release this year. If it is this year.

I do not consider "FG" a release at all. I have been offered a "homemade" CD of it, and I have declined. Makes me shake my head; if someone in their own home can burn this to disc with artwork, why can't we get an offical release? Anywayssssssssssssss.....

Does anyone know what the last Expanded release was from Diana and/or the Supremes?

reese
10-24-2014, 01:47 PM
I do not consider "FG" a release at all. I have been offered a "homemade" CD of it, and I have declined. Makes me shake my head; if someone in their own home can burn this to disc with artwork, why can't we get an offical release? Anywayssssssssssssss.....

Does anyone know what the last Expanded release was from Diana and/or the Supremes?

I think it was I HEAR A SYMPHONY.

johnjeb
10-24-2014, 07:16 PM
I think it was I HEAR A SYMPHONY.

But Disc 2 was a LIVE set which was almost the same as The Copa which preceded it. I have always loved the Copa album but having another LIVE Disc with almost the same songs was not that interesting. Overall I was disappointed in the Symphony Expanded Edition because of Disc 2. I think that may have hurt sales for that release.

The LIVE selections are fine if it's a song or two, particularly if it varies from what I am familiar with from previous releases. I agree hearing the performance with Florence was enjoyable but, to be honest, I haven't listened to it since I bought it.

I am surprised The Supremes haven't received the same treatment with releases as The Beatles did this past year with all their albums released in cardboard sleeves. I expected to at least see WDOLG released on CD and possibly vinyl. Since Meet, WDOLG and MH have already been remastered they could just issue discs from each set which include the mono and stereo versions of the albums.

midnight johnny
10-24-2014, 10:17 PM
Yes, thanxal, Andy is a good guy and a FAN, but his radio chats are not official. As Nathanj clearly outlined above, we as customers, actually do not receive definitive information in the past couple if years. I am certain it's about the "money." And, once again, NO OFFICIAL website with information about releases exists. Motown releases have been significantly marginalized, i.e., no more HipO.

As Alanbill said above, writing to Universal is an exercise in futility. Their same business model that includes no regularly updated informational website also includes not responding to customers. See Soul Music releases for a user friendly UPDATED website.

I personally do not subscribe to the concept that we are lucky for all that we have received in the past and therefore should appreciate any morsel in the that we receive in the future. We are "customers" and are willing to pay money.longtimefan....you're right....Andy's statements on "Nightflight" are not official. That's why he doesn't make any official statements as to when product will be released, etc. Simple, huh?

jobeterob
10-24-2014, 11:32 PM
And not all Motown Fans support the releases of things like M25, the Ross CDs, the Expanded Editions. Don't we hear that refrain quite regularly?

Jimi LaLumia
10-25-2014, 06:57 AM
EXACTLY, jobeterob, I warned about that here, when people said I won't buy this and I won't buy that, like a tantrum child.. if you were someone at Universal and saw that on the Motown board, would you be in a rush to put out more product that, by it's nature, has a limited audience to begin with? I wouldn't... and, on the Universal side, their actual promotion of the product that they have put out is non existent at best, so they're not off the hook either..but the childishness seen here is responsible for the state of NOW, and I for one warned of this when everyone was hooting and hollering round here..what's done is done..

nathanj06
10-25-2014, 08:37 AM
I have to agree with marybrewster on Funny Girl. I held off but finally downloaded it only to find most of the songs abruptly cut off at the end. I asked amazon about this and was told they were going to request a "corrected" version and would contact me. I never heard a word and that was months ago. It was pointless to release it this way since the other's were in physical form. Download a defective album and artwork then make your own CD. No thanks. By the way, not everyone gets to listen to Nightflight. Harry and Andy do a phenomenal job on these expanded editions and know what the fans want. I believe the bottom line is we all just want to see it completed.

djessie
10-25-2014, 09:59 AM
"Funny Girl" is the only Diana Ross related "release" I did not buy, simply because there was nothing TO buy! I have no interest in MP3s but I will happily buy everything thrown my way on a physical format.

Like I have said before, there are loads of expanded/remastered CD's coming out [[especially in the UK) from far less known artists then Diana/The Supremes. And Diana's RCA albums have just been released remastered and expanded, so surely it can't be that difficult to release the rest of Diana's solo material from Motown, as well as proper releases for the rest of her work with The Supremes.

So come on, bring on the CD's of "Baby It's Me" and "Go-Go" - fans have been waiting long enough!

Glenpwood
10-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Its a bit unfair to say if a fan skips one expanded set, DVD, or download Universal is going to shut the vault door and give no one the combination ever again. While I do believe support and spreading the word overall is best obviously not everyone has endless disposable income to buy every Motown related product that gets issued monthly by the many companies doing so around the globe. In the past year there have been many reissues I've skipped just because to buy them would be duplicating something I already have. A cardboard sleeved Supremes 75 would be nice to have but why waste the money when I have the HipO Final Sessions box set? Life and releases will continue if we take occasional passes on the product.

Also, everyone is begging for physical product but sadly the compact disc is being more marginalized by the week. Even download sales are falling now. The generation coming up seems content to stream music on the cheap with inferior sound quality. The only growth sector left in music at the moment is vinyl albums and while I would love to get a few of these expanded sets on LP i'm sure it would be seen as an act of treason by others if that were the only tangible format to purchase.

My thought is why doesn't Universal consider the idea of pre-selling the titles upfront to gauge the demand. If 5000 people cough up the 29.99 or whatever amount they feel they need to get an expanded set out there then they know they will recoup expenses. The label ships out the disc, turns a nice profit and everyone wins.

lakedistrictlad1
10-26-2014, 02:33 PM
...Thank heavens for ACE - that's all I can say.

daviddh
10-26-2014, 03:06 PM
well I read "announcement coming next week" so we will see if anything comes next week or this week??? kinda of tired of the cat and mouse game thing. this is not area 51 top secret material, it s an album release, why can't they just say coming late fall??? or early winter?? or October 2014? December 2014. this is my only issue

johnjeb
10-26-2014, 04:33 PM
If Aretha, Bette and Annie Lenox can release new physical CDs this fall celebrating different eras and genres of music then why cant UMG release physical CDs from an iconic American artist depicted in a current Broadway show singing music from an era being celebrated in a current Broadway show, especially during this 50th anniversary year? What does UMG not understand? I don't get it.

jobeterob
10-26-2014, 04:45 PM
I think it is a struggle for all of them to release anything ~ but Baby It's Me is not new.

Look at the trouble Aretha Franklin had with her last CD and it sold very little.

Some Motown artists that never hit the top cannot get their new CDS released at all.

It's unfortunate, but I don't believe it is surprising.

midnight johnny
10-26-2014, 07:00 PM
If Aretha, Bette and Annie Lenox can release new physical CDs this fall celebrating different eras and genres of music then why cant UMG release physical CDs from an iconic American artist depicted in a current Broadway show singing music from an era being celebrated in a current Broadway show, especially during this 50th anniversary year? What does UMG not understand? I don't get it. Great points, John!

marybrewster
10-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Are we all assuming that "Baby It's Me" is going to be a physical release?

djessie
10-27-2014, 01:56 PM
I would certainly hope it is a physical release - otherwise I am done with these re-issues!

People keep mentioning that CD sales are going down, largely because younger people prefer to stream [[or download). While this is true, younger people are hardly the target audience here. Most Motown fans are older, have been collecting the releases for years [[decades even) and want something to add to their collection.

I think what Glenpwood suggests might be a good idea: pre-selling. Several artists/record companies are doing this now. For example, fans wanted the latest Erasure album on vinyl. A pre-order was set up, saying that if a certain number was reached an LP version would be released. The number was reached in no time and the album is on it's way on vinyl, just like the fans wanted...

mowsville
10-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Well guys theres a small instrumental snippet up on The Diana Ross and the Supremes expanded editions fb page...go listen.

JohnnyB
10-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Its a bit unfair to say if a fan skips one expanded set, DVD, or download Universal is going to shut the vault door and give no one the combination ever again. While I do believe support and spreading the word overall is best obviously not everyone has endless disposable income to buy every Motown related product that gets issued monthly by the many companies doing so around the globe. In the past year there have been many reissues I've skipped just because to buy them would be duplicating something I already have. A cardboard sleeved Supremes 75 would be nice to have but why waste the money when I have the HipO Final Sessions box set? Life and releases will continue if we take occasional passes on the product.

Also, everyone is begging for physical product but sadly the compact disc is being more marginalized by the week. Even download sales are falling now. The generation coming up seems content to stream music on the cheap with inferior sound quality. The only growth sector left in music at the moment is vinyl albums and while I would love to get a few of these expanded sets on LP i'm sure it would be seen as an act of treason by others if that were the only tangible format to purchase.

My thought is why doesn't Universal consider the idea of pre-selling the titles upfront to gauge the demand. If 5000 people cough up the 29.99 or whatever amount they feel they need to get an expanded set out there then they know they will recoup expenses. The label ships out the disc, turns a nice profit and everyone wins.

Wonderful idea! I imagine this business model was used with the recent RCA Diana Ross remasters. Preordering began two months in advance, but cards were charged immediately. Although it wasn't stated, I assumed the company was gauging demand by the preorders and producing stock in accordance with preorder results...

copley
10-27-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm sick & tired of UMe treating us like a bunch of kids with a little tease here and little tease there! Most of us have been supporting Motown for many years and I think that it's a very disrespectful way to treat loyal fans. It's time to either piss or get off the pot!

lakedistrictlad1
10-28-2014, 05:11 AM
There are small labels putting out great quality cd's of super rare material all over the place. I will never understand what politics are causing Universal to struggle getting a single Diana Ross cd out.

longtimefan
10-28-2014, 07:58 AM
Didn't we learn long ago that one thing is always true in life? .... "Follow the money!" :-)

davidh
10-31-2014, 06:07 PM
teases is right, but i do have a feeling it's right around the corner or i have been told that is the case

Lulu
10-31-2014, 08:39 PM
Limited runs would certainly be a good idea as others have said. Look how much ya have to fork over to get some of the past releases that are out of print!

mowsville
11-01-2014, 11:42 AM
has anyone listened to the unreleased snippet that's on fb?

mysterysinger
11-01-2014, 02:42 PM
I guessed at "This Is It" for the unreleased clip [[Melba's song). No response though!

mowsville
11-01-2014, 06:17 PM
AHHHH....mysterysinger you might just be right...that's the song I was trying to think of...thank you.

sup_fan
11-06-2014, 01:48 AM
UMG is a for-profit corporation that is here to do 1 thing - turn a profit for their shareholders. so long at products are profitable, they'll most likely continue to release content on those artists. there's 0 guarantee that product will continue and obviously they have the best insight into what is or isn't profitable.

i do have to criticize the fans for "not buying FG cuz it wasn't a real release." quite frankly that's a poor decision on your behalf and could jeopardize future releases. for those of you that are moaning and groaning about not having something to hold or that fact you'll only buy a cd format, that makes about as much sense as the people in the early 80s that said they'd never convert to cassettes or cd's from vinyl. the industry has made radical changes in the past 10 years. digital is here to stay.

for me the most important thing is to get the music, in whatever format. yes it's wonderful looking through a cd insert book. but remember the booklet with Farewell - it was huge. wonderful paper stock, lovely. made the pesky little cd booklets like like a kleenex. but here we are today, thrilled with that kleenex.

also keep in mind that if you don't buy a specific release, that'll impact the units sold which will impact their forecasts for future purchases of future releases. of course they also look at the content in the release - something big like A Go Go with several huge tracks on it would most likely outsell something more obscure like FG. but if we don't buy the FG's then we might not get the Sam Cooke's, or the CW&P or Broadway collections

sup_fan
11-06-2014, 01:51 AM
one of the posts mention that the live set on Symphony was too similar to Copa. it's true that many tracks are repeated between the two. i actually find that quite interesting because although they're singing You're Nobody on both, the performance are drastically different. for Copa it was a relatively new song. one they'd been doing for maybe 4 or so months. plus it hadn't even been a year since WDOLG hit #1. by the time of the second live set, it was a little over 2 years since WDOLG and they were "old pros." the maturation between the two is remarkable and fun to listen to

ejluther
11-10-2014, 08:45 AM
I agree, sup_fan - I love having the ROOSTERTAIL show and find it superior to COPA in just about every way [[not that I don't still love COPA...)

longtimefan
11-10-2014, 10:30 AM
"Tease" is certainly correct. It's been well over a year! Per the dictionary -- "To arouse hope, desire, or curiosity in without affording satisfaction."

marybrewster
11-10-2014, 11:03 AM
i do have to criticize the fans for "not buying FG cuz it wasn't a real release." quite frankly that's a poor decision on your behalf and could jeopardize future releases. for those of you that are moaning and groaning about not having something to hold or that fact you'll only buy a cd format, that makes about as much sense as the people in the early 80s that said they'd never convert to cassettes or cd's from vinyl. the industry has made radical changes in the past 10 years. digital is here to stay.

sup_fan: while I do agree with what you are saying, and I was one of those that did NOT buy "FG" because it was not a physical release, don't you think it's the responsibility of UMG to at least promote these releases? Outside of those of us "in the know", how many casual fans know that it was even released? I know of long-time Supremes fan that had no idea there was even such a thing as an "Expanded Release". So while it's true that by supporting one release, it helps open the door to other releases, if we don't know these releases exist, how does that fall on us?

And what about the people that don't have the ability to dl music? Or the knowledge? My parents are of the Supremes "era". They know not the first thing about downloading music or printing a booklet. So I can see if we are talking about Beyonce or Taylor Swift; THAT generation does not buy CD's. But the generation where THIS music comes from; that's all they know.

I think UMG just needs to be straight forward and give it to us. Tell us that these will no longer be on CD format. Or "lease" these titles to a company, such as ACE, that WILL release them on CD format. If you can get "Partners" by Scherrie and Susaye, or "the Supremes 1975", you certainly should be able to get "Funny Girl."

jobeterob
11-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Don't disagree really with anything MB says ~ but the whole landscape changes when in whatever format you buy today, those sales can get you into the Top 20 of the Billboard 200 whereas 20 years ago, those same numbers might have got you to #190.

soulster
11-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Two photos were posted today on the "Diana Ross & The Supremes: Expanded Edition" Facebook page:

Cool! I like screen shots of the tape boxes.

dba
11-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Posted on FB this morning . . . Tired of teasers? So are we!
Ready for some real information?
Better yet, are you ready for your ears to hear the sweet sounds of...?
Join George Solomon and Andy Skurow this Tuesday, November 18 at 9 PM EST, 6 PM PST on Nightflight with John Perrone. All will be revealed! You will hear the debut of an expanded classic .... album. You'll find out what it is, and hear several of the songs, including the new exclusive bonus tracks. Find out ALL the details by streaming the show at www.womr.org
Who knows, we may even reveal the secret prior to the show. Stay tuned!

jobeterob
11-15-2014, 02:04 PM
That sounds like a real treat.

longtimefan
11-15-2014, 02:24 PM
How long has it been since Diana' s last solo expanded edition? January 2013, I believe.

alanbill1074
11-15-2014, 04:15 PM
I've read somewhere today it is coming out next Tuesday as an expanded digital edition? Digital only?

vgalindo
11-15-2014, 05:01 PM
I've read somewhere today it is coming out next Tuesday as an expanded digital edition? Digital only?
Where did you read this? I really was hoping for a physical cd release. If it wasn't from Andy, George, or Harry I wouldn't give it too much attention.

midnight johnny
11-15-2014, 05:57 PM
It's on Facebook.

vgalindo
11-15-2014, 08:13 PM
It's on Facebook.

Where does it say on Facebook that it is going to be a digital release. I can't seem to find it.
thanks

reese
11-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Where does it say on Facebook that it is going to be a digital release. I can't seem to find it.
thanks

I see where a poster commented that he thought that it would be a digital only release, but it was just an opinion. I didn't see it stated as fact by anyone official.

vgalindo
11-15-2014, 08:29 PM
I see where a poster commented that he thought that it would be a digital only release, but it was just an opinion. I didn't see it stated as fact by anyone official.
Thank you. That is what I saw too.

greg jones
11-15-2014, 08:49 PM
What has me wondering is that even if it is digital only [[at this point), like Funny Girl… it was up in iTunes and Amazon a couple of weeks before saying that it would be released on such and such a date. So when Andy & George did the show, Funny Girl was already being promoted even though it came out the day of their pre-taped show.

Also the Facebook says they MAY reveal the secret prior to the Nightflight show.

Of course, who is say it may start out as digital only and then the cd could still come later. Also been wondering lately, if Andy & George are having to get another company to release a physical cd??? The interesting that is when reissues and remasters come out on cd from other companies like Real Gone Music, FunkyTown Grooves, etc., those companies NEVER get download rights and after they come out, Universal, Sony & Warner sometimes release digitally without the booklets that the licensors put together.

It will be interesting to hear the plans revealed!!!

RobertZ
11-15-2014, 08:56 PM

sup_fan: while I do agree with what you are saying, and I was one of those that did NOT buy "FG" because it was not a physical release, don't you think it's the responsibility of UMG to at least promote these releases? Outside of those of us "in the know", how many casual fans know that it was even released? I know of long-time Supremes fan that had no idea there was even such a thing as an "Expanded Release". So while it's true that by supporting one release, it helps open the door to other releases, if we don't know these releases exist, how does that fall on us?

And what about the people that don't have the ability to dl music? Or the knowledge? My parents are of the Supremes "era". They know not the first thing about downloading music or printing a booklet. So I can see if we are talking about Beyonce or Taylor Swift; THAT generation does not buy CD's. But the generation where THIS music comes from; that's all they know.

I think UMG just needs to be straight forward and give it to us. Tell us that these will no longer be on CD format. Or "lease" these titles to a company, such as ACE, that WILL release them on CD format. If you can get "Partners" by Scherrie and Susaye, or "the Supremes 1975", you certainly should be able to get "Funny Girl."

I so much agree. There are several labels issuing physical CD reissues / expanded editions. S!it or get off the pot, UMG,

jobeterob
11-15-2014, 09:39 PM
I would be very disappointed if the release is digital only.

But part of me is beginning to acknowledge that it is mostly the old crowd wanting the physical releases.

Maybe there's a change that we haven't come to accept yet?

alanbill1074
11-16-2014, 05:10 AM
It's mentioned on the Steve Hoffman Forum. Someone has heard it apparently, as they specifically praise "Brass Band".

longtimefan
11-16-2014, 01:41 PM
What us the Steve Hoffman forum? Is there a link?

762rob
11-16-2014, 06:47 PM
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/diana-ross.318465/page-5#post-10171259

Glenpwood
11-16-2014, 08:23 PM
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/diana-ross.318465/page-5#post-10171259

I posted that for the Ross fans on that forum I know are looking for this set that don't visit Soulful Detroit and I am making an assumption that it's Tuesday since it hit the foreign stores with their weekly new releases. Watch Facebook, Andy or George for official info. It's their "baby" to deliver. i just lucked out in finding it in the Aussie Itunes store and can buy from it from the US early. It will be worth the wait.

greg jones
11-17-2014, 04:44 AM
Hey Everyone...

It just appeared available for sale on US iTunes at midnight for $12.99 with digital booklet!!!

lakedistrictlad1
11-17-2014, 05:29 AM
I think i'll buy the Japanese edition instead. At least I will have something that really exists.

Just can't get my head around digital releases.

If Universal can't manage to make a release like this as a real cd - then why don't they lease it to one of the many companies that can manage to do it - and do it really well.

If this is how Universal is to run their business in future then I ain't buying it. I just don't get it.

longtimefan
11-17-2014, 08:38 AM
The digital booklets are so frustrating. Besides the fact that they do not fit into a jewel case, printing them out front to back is a near impossibility. I would pay an additional $10 for an actual booklet. Another huge Motown/Universal disappointment.

JohnnyB
11-17-2014, 10:09 AM
The digital booklets are so frustrating. Besides the fact that they do not fit into a jewel case, printing them out front to back is a near impossibility. I would pay an additional $10 for an actual booklet. Another huge Motown/Universal disappointment.

Longtimefan, I had the digital booklet for Funny Girl printed at FedEx Kinkos; they printed it to scale as a CD booklet, using appropriate paper stock and the end result was exceptional. Just a tip, if there is a location in your area or another reputable printing establishment, this may work for you...

mofreaktown
11-17-2014, 10:29 AM
A tip on the digital booklet that I used on the Funny Girl release and that I plan to use for BIM. I saved the digital booklet as a PDF file and then saved it in iBooks on my iPad. I found this much easier than printing it and it is always there when you want to read it again. Obviously, you need to have an iPad. Good luck.

soulster
11-17-2014, 10:40 AM
I think i'll buy the Japanese edition instead. At least I will have something that really exists.

I have to laugh at all the times I see people saying that digital files don't exist. Of course they do. They exist just as much as the operating system and personal fata soes on your computer. You can copy them or lose them. If you want something more tangible, you can burn them on a CD-R.

If Universal can't manage to make a release like this as a real cd - then why don't they lease it to one of the many companies that can manage to do it - and do it really well.

Content holders are reluctant to lease masters of things they think will sell well. And, if they do, the cost is prohibitive to most small reissue labels. They can help offset those costs by having the owner of the masters press and distribute the reissue, but if it's someone like Diana Ross or Marvin Gaye, they won't do it. You might say those artists, or some of their content, are proprietary. However, there is always a possibility you would see a vinyl reissue down the road by either Universal or a smaller label.

If this is how Universal is to run their business in future then I ain't buying it. I just don't get it.

Digital files are the way to sell content now that the CD is doing so poorly in sales. I know CD fans would like to think otherwise, but sales of the CD format keeps dropping every year.

As for sound quality [[you knew I was going there), I would not buy a download from iTunes, Amazon, or 7-Digital. I would wait for Pono Music, download from Quboz [[for those that are able), or wait and see if the album shows up on HD Tracks. I like hi-rez downloads because I get the sound that's much closer to the master tapes, if not an exact copy of them.

Selling downloads is much cheaper than manufacturing CDs. It is dirt cheap to make a CD today, but when you factor in distribution, printing, and distribution to stores that really don't want to sell anything but new hit product, it gets expensive. What makes it worse for even people who like downloads is that streaming is very popular. Nothing to buy or download. No CDs or records cluttering up your living space. Nothing to own. That is the one that "doesn't really exist". You can't save it, copy it, or play in your car without a wi-fi connection, and you absolutely get no artwork. And, if, say, Universal ever decides to pull the music, you just can't get to it again. This is what the public likes and wants because it is also the cheapest option. Say, $10 a month!

The world is changing. You didn't think the digital world would stay the same forever, did you?

jack020
11-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Diana Ross & The Supremes: Expanded Editions [[https://www.facebook.com/pages/Diana-Ross-The-Supremes-Expanded-Editions/1408890062656296) on Facebook:
Andy Skurow posted:
This is exclusively MFiT [[mastered for iTunes) and it will be available for download at Amazon in a few weeks. Most of the record companies have stopped CD production for catalog releases, so this is not specific to Diana Ross. We would also like to continue and complete the series physically. We are in talks with some third party labels to possibly print CDs [[including this and Funny Girl) in the near future. George Solomon will discuss it on Nightflight tomorrow [[Tuesday) on www. WOMR.org [[http://WOMR.org/) at 9:15 PM EST.

djessie
11-18-2014, 01:56 PM
What a slap in the face - after all this wait, no CD! I truly hope that a third party will come into the picture to complete the series on CD - otherwise, I am officially done with buying these releases.

thanxal
11-18-2014, 02:06 PM
I know CD fans would like to think otherwise, but sales of the CD format keeps dropping every year.
Oh, the logic...it burns!

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
11-18-2014, 02:19 PM
What a slap in the face - after all this wait, no CD! I truly hope that a third party will come into the picture to complete the series on CD - otherwise, I am officially done with buying these releases.I agree. It's also disappointing because originally it was going to be a 2 CD set, then they were told it had to be whittled down to a single CD release. Then they didn't even bother releasing it on CD! So it could've had more tracks after all!

marybrewster
11-18-2014, 02:32 PM
A digital-download only release sucks. You may remember I was very vocal about "Funny Girl." But I have resigned to the fact that this is the way of the world. Doesn't mean I like it; doesn't mean I agree with it. And it certainly doesn't mean I have given up.

I give Andy and his production team huge props for making these releases happen, in any format. It's sometimes easy to get caught up in pointing fingers; I know they are not the "powers that be" that have the final decision on whether these are downloads, or physical. But I know our voices are being heard. So keep the conversations going. Be respectful, and perhaps whomever is at the top of the food chain will see how much interest there still is. Andy has mentioned a few "surprises" tonight on MJ's show; listen in and see what it could be. I'd like to think that there's still some possibility.

Now, without stirring up the pot, do I dare ask if "A Go-Go" will be a physical CD?

11-19-2014, 12:13 AM
Now, without stirring up the pot, do I dare ask if "A Go-Go" will be a physical CD?I guess we'll see, maybe they had to pick only one to be on CD and maybe that will be the one? The only thing I'm worried about is if these digital-only ones are coming out only because they were already ready to go. They might not bother letting them work on any future ones. If this is the end, then they at least deserved a CD release.

soulster
11-19-2014, 10:34 AM
You all may be interested in reading the comments on this thread:
http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?13045-Baby-It-s-Me-the-New-Release

nathanj06
11-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Looks like A Go Go has become A Gone Gone for download only. Physical CDs released in the future? Clearly by now it's not going to happen. CDs are dead? I guess that's why amazon has a billion titles for sale. I give up, I'll buy the imports should they appear as A Go Go already has.

soulster
11-19-2014, 11:03 AM
Looks like A Go Go has become A Gone Gone for download only. Physical CDs released in the future? Clearly by now it's not going to happen. CDs are dead? I guess that's why amazon has a billion titles for sale. I give up, I'll buy the imports should they appear as A Go Go already has.

I think the labels are content to let the overseas labels and small labels handle CD reissues now.

nathanj06
11-22-2014, 08:42 AM
I think you're right soulster. It's just rather sad to have anticipated these beautiful expanded editions and then it stops at "Symphony". Change is great but this one isn't. Many have sold out which is why they were "limited editions". Can't you just imagine the entire collection this way? That would have been amazing.

calvin
11-22-2014, 09:44 AM
As I mentioned in another post, look at Sony's recent release of Bob Dylan's "The Complete Basement Tapes."

Limited-edition physical box set, 6 cds + book in a case: 99.99 Euros from amazon.fr
High resolution download: 49.49 Euros from Qobuz
Cd-quality download: 42.89 Euros from Qobuz

A physical set for those who feel they must have one, but significantly more expensive. I'm sure Sony will make a profit from it. Lossless and high resolution downloads for those who don't care enough about the physical set to pay up for it, but don't want lossy downloads. Something for everyone. And all released on the same date, so customers have full knowledge of their choices when they make their purchase. Way to go Bob Dylan and Sony!!!

With "Baby It's Me", Universal starts by making the complete set available as a lossy download exclusively on iTunes, with some vague comments that it will be available from other vendors sometime later. I would like to know if the complete expanded edition will be available in lossless format from Qobuz and/or Pono, but there's no word on that. It's poor customer service for those who don't want lossy downloads.

soulster
11-22-2014, 01:29 PM
lete set available as a lossy download exclusively on iTunes, with some vague comments that it will be available from other vendors sometime later. I would like to know if the complete expanded edition will be available in lossless format from Qobuz and/or Pono, but there's no word on that. It's poor customer service for those who don't want lossy downloads.

Some of it has to do with legalities, the deals made with the vendors. The Rick James remasters came out as lossy. iTunes carries all of them, but another vendor only has a few of them, and some not even with bonus tracks. The only two hi-rez albums "Street Songs" and "Kickin'" are on HDTracks right now. I checked Quboz through Tor, and they don't have all of the albums. Pono has the redbook lossless albums, sans bonus tracks.

calvin
11-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Qobuz has Rick James "The Complete Motown Albums" in cd quality, with the bonus tracks. I bought it. It will probably show up on Pono later. Not sure if this link will work for you in the US:

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/the-complete-motown-albums-rick-james/0060253791737

Up until "Funny Girl", they've had every download-only Motown title I wanted, lossless and with the same bonus tracks as iTunes. Among the ones I've bought:

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - One Dozen Roses
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - A Pocket Full of Miracles
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Flying High Together
Smokey Robinson - Touch the Sky
Smokey Robinson - Yes It's You Lady
Smokey Robinson - Essar
The Temptations - Wings of Love
Mary Wells - Live on Stage
Stevie Wonder - Live at Talk of the Town
Val Young - Seduction

They also had some others that I wasn't interested in.

Of course I believe what you write about having different vendor deals. They are clearly favoring iTunes with "Baby It's Me", initially making it available only from them. I guess Universal somehow makes more money from this deal. Too bad they don't care about customers who don't want to buy lossy downloads from iTunes.

Remember some years ago they released "The Complete Stevie Wonder" exclusively on iTunes? It had some previously-unreleased tracks. And while one could buy most songs individually from that set, you couldn't buy the previously unreleased tracks except by buying the whole [[very expensive) set. A ripoff for fans who already had all the cds.

11-22-2014, 02:55 PM
With "Baby It's Me", Universal starts by making the complete set available as a lossy download exclusively on iTunes, with some vague comments that it will be available from other vendors sometime later. I would like to know if the complete expanded edition will be available in lossless format from Qobuz and/or Pono, but there's no word on that. It's poor customer service for those who don't want lossy downloads.Yes, plus saying they're still "looking into" getting it out on CD. I'm not holding my breath any longer. Having lossy files is annoying, but so is waiting around, so I just went ahead and bought the iTunes downloads and got it over with. If the "Ross '78" and "A'Go-Go" files are sitting around, they might as well just release them immediately too.

Anyway, the most important thing is the music itself, and I'm enjoying listening to the new unreleased songs and alternate mixes! [[Except for that ultra-distracting water drip sound on "Top Of The World" lol)

soulster
11-22-2014, 04:14 PM
Qobuz has Rick James "The Complete Motown Albums" in cd quality, with the bonus tracks. I bought it. It will probably show up on Pono later. Not sure if this link will work for you in the US:

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/the-complete-motown-albums-rick-james/0060253791737

You're right. I just didn't see them all there. Doesn't matter, though. I can't buy anything from them without doing tricks with the internet connection. That's why I'm so glad Pono is coming.

soulster
11-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Yes, plus saying they're still "looking into" getting it out on CD. I'm not holding my breath any longer. Having lossy files is annoying, but so is waiting around, so I just went ahead and bought the iTunes downloads and got it over with. If the "Ross '78" and "A'Go-Go" files are sitting around, they might as well just release them immediately too.

There's the rub: people like you get frustrated waiting, and download it anyway. Another download sale tells the label that people are happy with that option, so they have fewer reasons to manufacture CDs.

There's no point in having the music if the sound quality is lossy.

vgalindo
11-22-2014, 08:15 PM
I really don't know much about downloads. I am a cd person. The only two downloads I have ever done are Funny Girl and BIM. So can someone educate me on what is a lossy or the different formats that companies release these digital formats? I really don't know what are the differences are. Is it sound quality? Because the ITunes downloads sound fantastic. Sorry for me be so dumb on this subject.

11-23-2014, 03:23 AM
There's the rub: people like you get frustrated waiting, and download it anyway. Another download sale tells the label that people are happy with that option, so they have fewer reasons to manufacture CDs.

There's no point in having the music if the sound quality is lossy.Yep, true! It just seems like we're all having to guess what's going on since they won't tell us. So my own personal guess is that we're just lucky to be getting these at all as lossy downloads. The truth is you can barely tell the difference when you're listening to the files, it's just that we know they're lossy that annoys us. I can tell when I put the files out of phase on a .wav editing program, or if you look at the file on a spectral view that it is lossy. Some people don't care if it's on CD, just as long as it's not lossy. I just like having things on CD, cuz I don't like having to keep track of files. Everyone has their own reasons for wanting different formats and it was nicer when it was still an option.

Also even the digital booklet is "lossy." People were saying, oh just print the booklet and burn a CD, but the booklet looks like it was saved in a lower resolution than it was originally designed. There's all kinds of blurry & blocky .jpeg artifact compression going on in the images. So it seems like there's no point in trying to print it yourself. That's another reason to want a real CD of it with the original uncompressed images and lossless audio.

soulster
11-23-2014, 03:46 AM
I just like having things on CD, cuz I don't like having to keep track of files.

I know you don't care, but here is how I have my files set up. I have the albums in files for each artist. Then, the album titles for that artist are in that folder. Then, the songs are in that album folder. This way, everything is neat and orderly, and I can find anything in seconds.

soulster
11-23-2014, 05:08 AM
Hey, everybody, I hate to harp on this, but I just found out that Quboz will be available in the U.S. next year, so that will be two or three lossless/hi-rez stores! I keep saying not to mess with iTunes. Downloads are going lossless. before it was just a dream, but now it's going to happen here in the U.S.. Finally, we don't have to settle for mp3 or "Mastered for iTunes". I ain't buyin' nuthin' until next year!

lakedistrictlad1
11-23-2014, 06:49 AM
I just want the choice.

Download or cd.

Shouldn't life be about choice?

And if it means paying double for the cd edition then I would.

It's the fact that Universal have not listened to their loyal fans that makes me so mad.

No more cash from me Universal. Download - no sale.

calvin
11-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Hey, everybody, I hate to harp on this, but I just found out that Quboz will be available in the U.S. next year, so that will be two or three lossless/hi-rez stores! I keep saying not to mess with iTunes. Downloads are going lossless. before it was just a dream, but now it's going to happen here in the U.S.. Finally, we don't have to settle for mp3 or "Mastered for iTunes". I ain't buyin' nuthin' until next year!

I hope this happens. It was reported in August that Qobuz needed to raise some funds to continue with their plans. They're still looking for this funding:

http://www.telecompaper.com/news/qobuz-aims-to-raise-eur-11-million-by-march-2015--1050821

Pono also has plans to come to the UK, perhaps next year.

soulster
11-23-2014, 11:40 AM
I just read this morning that the licensing issues have been resolved and it's only a matter of time now.

Unfortunately, I think liner notes have gone the way of the dodo bird. I guess the majority of the consumers just don't care enough for the labels to bother working out a solution. And, if they do offer them, it is going to be downloadable.

I'm thinking that almost the only other way to get music besides from the internet is to buy a vinyl copy, if they are available. But, there's just not enough pressing plants worldwide to keep up with the demand. And, from what I see, the majority of records coming out are rock titles.

The last chance, barring an indie label, or Japanese release of a CD, is to have an audiophile gold CD. But, we all know the chances of that ever happening are nill. No audiophile label is going to do a Diana Ross title on CD. And, even if they did, I doubt anyone will pay $30 for a single CD.

djessie
11-24-2014, 03:33 PM
I would most certainly pay $30 for Baby It's Me on CD - I wouldn't even pay $1 for a download.

soulster
11-24-2014, 04:06 PM
I would most certainly pay $30 for Baby It's Me on CD - I wouldn't even pay $1 for a download.
But, how many people would pay up to $30 for a single CD of that title? If an audiophile label thought they could, they would. But, as history shows, most fans of R&B will not spend a whole lot of money on a single title, and someone like Ross just doesn't appeal to enough buyers, let alone audiophiles for them to go through the trouble. The Ross fans have to realize that there is more out there than Diana Ross. To much of the world, she is little more than a blip on the radar, but you'd never know that from just being on this forum or Ross forums. People like The Supremes, and a few of her solo hits, but that's about it.

I also think the Universal producers get a very distorted view of what Motown fans want by just coming here for feedback.

Jimi LaLumia
11-24-2014, 09:20 PM
a blip on the radar..LOL.. give it up already...everyone saw the standing Ovation last night at the AMAS from everyone in the contemporary music biz and Taylor Swift paying homage to Ross..she's on The Voice tonight and tomorrow..there's a 'blip' on the radar all right, but it isn't Diana Ross..sorry to negate the hate...ha ha ha

johnjeb
11-24-2014, 09:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Baby It's Me and Ross 78 are her only two solo studio albums not to have been remastered and/or have expanded editions. I'm perplexed why UMG couldn't just let these two albums be released on CD based on that fact alone.

The past 20 years or so I haven't been her biggest fan and supporter but after all it is DIANA ROSS.

And for that reason, if no other, The Supremes Expanded Editions should be completed.

longtimefan
11-24-2014, 10:28 PM
WORKIN' OVERTIME
FORCE BEHIND THE POWER
TAKE ME HIGHER.....

How about LADY SINGS THE BLUES studio tracks?

johnjeb
11-24-2014, 10:41 PM
WORKIN' OVERTIME
FORCE BEHIND THE POWER
TAKE ME HIGHER.....

How about LADY SINGS THE BLUES studio tracks?

I was thinking more along the lines of her her 70s Motown albums and those that were singles-oriented. I don't think any of her solo albums from the 90s have been reissued.

Lulu
11-25-2014, 12:15 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of her her 70s Motown albums and those that were singles-oriented. I don't think any of her solo albums from the 90s have been reissued.

I think there are some licensing hoops to go through with Paramount for Lady Sings the Blues.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-25-2014, 12:58 AM
I would gladly pay up to $40.00 for Motown Select's Expanded releases on CD. I'm not made of money by any stretch, but, hey, it's Motown -- and, to me, Motown is worth it. As already mentioned above, the printout of the digital booklet for Diana's "Baby It's Me" is not of the highest quality. Unlike the digital booklet for The Supremes' "Funny Girl" which would only print in full-page 8 1/2" x 11" format, I was able to print "Baby It's Me's" booklet in supposedly CD-size format, although CD size would be approximately 5" x 5". The actual printout is more like 3" x 5" -- horizontal rather than square. I did my best to prepare an attractive-looking home-made CD package by using a clear, see-through DJ View Pack and a self-made color-coordinated track list incorporating word processing graphics, but, given the horizontal booklet.... Let's just say the overall appearance of the finished product looks amateurish rather than professional -- not at all like the high-quality Motown Select releases that we've come to know and love.. And, now that my friend who downloaded "BIM" and burned it to CD for me [[a CD which wouldn't play) has started working at his new job with crazy, inconsistent hours and hasn't been available, I still have no "BIM" CD-R to enjoy. Not a happy camper here. Color me pissed!!!!

soulster
11-25-2014, 04:01 AM
a blip on the radar..LOL.. give it up already...everyone saw the standing Ovation last night at the AMAS from everyone in the contemporary music biz and Taylor Swift paying homage to Ross..she's on The Voice tonight and tomorrow..there's a 'blip' on the radar all right, but it isn't Diana Ross..sorry to negate the hate...ha ha ha

I stand by what I say.

soulster
11-25-2014, 04:08 AM
I would gladly pay up to $40.00 for Motown Select's Expanded releases on CD. I'm not made of money by any stretch, but, hey, it's Motown -- and, to me, Motown is worth it. As already mentioned above, the printout of the digital booklet for Diana's "Baby It's Me" is not of the highest quality. Unlike the digital booklet for The Supremes' "Funny Girl" which would only print in full-page 8 1/2" x 11" format, I was able to print "Baby It's Me's" booklet in supposedly CD-size format, although CD size would be approximately 5" x 5". The actual printout is more like 3" x 5" -- horizontal rather than square. I did my best to prepare an attractive-looking home-made CD package by using a clear, see-through DJ View Pack and a self-made color-coordinated track list incorporating word processing graphics, but, given the horizontal booklet.... Let's just say the overall appearance of the finished product looks amateurish rather than professional -- not at all like the high-quality Motown Select releases that we've come to know and love.. And, now that my friend who downloaded "BIM" and burned it to CD for me [[a CD which wouldn't play) has started working at his new job with crazy, inconsistent hours and hasn't been available, I still have no "BIM" CD-R to enjoy. Not a happy camper here. Color me pissed!!!!

If your friend used your computer and iTunes account, why not just try burning your own CD-R?

johnjeb
11-25-2014, 07:37 AM
I think there are some licensing hoops to go through with Paramount for Lady Sings the Blues.

Well, we did get Blue. I really wouldn't be interested in LSTB at this point, or any of her LIVE albums until we get all her singles-oriented studio albums remastered and released on CD.

My comment was primarily to support releasing BIM and Ross 78 on CD as those are, more or less, the only 2 singles-oriented 70s solo albums, of Diana's, that have not been remastered or expanded.

ejluther
11-25-2014, 09:04 AM
I think it's interesting that a lot of the negative comments about digital-only releases [[not just here) take the form of "Well, I'll just get it [[illegally) from someone else". Yes, the record companies know that - that's why the situation is the way it is. I think in just a few years we'll be living in a streaming-only media world and that there won't even be digital files to download. Typically you'll pay for access to streaming media of all kinds but never own anything.

soulster
11-25-2014, 01:35 PM
I think it's interesting that a lot of the negative comments about digital-only releases [[not just here) take the form of "Well, I'll just get it [[illegally) from someone else". Yes, the record companies know that - that's why the situation is the way it is. I think in just a few years we'll be living in a streaming-only media world and that there won't even be digital files to download. Typically you'll pay for access to streaming media of all kinds but never own anything.

I can certainly see that happening for that reason, but I don't think downloads are going away. And, with the rise of vinyl sales, it is so easy for one person to do a quality needledrop that sounds equal to, or superior to whatever the labels can produce, complete with artwork and liner note, and ripping information, to upload it just once, and have everyone in the world to get at it.

Lulu
11-25-2014, 04:49 PM
I stand by what I say.

I do get what you're saying. Madonna is a good example for me. A lot of my friends are obsessed with her [[worse than any Diana Ross fan if you can believe it) and defend her at no cost despite the fact that she is the most ungracious, self-centered B-word I have encountered in the business. I stopped buying her records a decade ago.

Anywhoo, if she's in the news or online or on tour, I simply look away because I don't care. In that regard, she is a blip on the radar to me even if she's on the Grammys or sitting down for an interview on a popular talk show. I don't engage in discussions on chat boards or social media about her because I simply don't care and I've found her fans ruthless when it comes to ANY criticism of her. YES, it drives me batty to log into Facebook and see countless postings every time she shares something "controversial" on Instagram and I scoot right on by.

Jimi LaLumia
11-25-2014, 09:01 PM
let's just say that someone unaware of The Voice, the American Music Awards, Facebook and Twitter,etc probably isn't the most reliable person to comment on pop culture in 2014..lol

Philles/Motown Gary
11-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Ejluther, if you're referring to me, you misunderstood. I purchased my download of "Baby It's Me [[Expanded)" from Itunes on my PC. [[Strangely, it wasn't even available on Amazon where I typically do all of my shopping.) My neighbor/friend took it from there. He completed the download process and burned it to CD for me on my PC. I would never screw Motown by trying to get a free download from somebody else. Heck, I wouldn't even know how! Just wanted to make it clear that I purchased my copy from Itunes like everybody else. - Gary

Mark Desjardines
11-25-2014, 11:22 PM
I've mentioned this on other posts on this site before in the past. Diana originally started off doing a series of very much more jazz orientated takes of some of the material that comprised LSTB, but Berry Gordy thought it sounded too much like Billie Holiday and got her to put more of a contemporary swing to her vocals. There must be existing tapes, because I purchased a copy of the acetates on eBay a good decade ago. What a fantastic "extra" this would be to a vocals only expanded version of LSTB.

soulster
11-26-2014, 04:50 AM
let's just say that someone unaware of The Voice, the American Music Awards, Facebook and Twitter,etc probably isn't the most reliable person to comment on pop culture in 2014..lol Not true. I listen to the current pop music. Do you?

soulster
11-26-2014, 04:52 AM
Ejluther, if you're referring to me, you misunderstood. I purchased my download of "Baby It's Me [[Expanded)" from Itunes on my PC. [[Strangely, it wasn't even available on Amazon where I typically do all of my shopping.) My neighbor/friend took it from there. He completed the download process and burned it to CD for me on my PC. I would never screw Motown by trying to get a free download from somebody else. Heck, I wouldn't even know how! Just wanted to make it clear that I purchased my copy from Itunes like everybody else. - Gary In that case, why can't you sit down, open iTunes, and try it yourself? You can read, so...I know iTunes isn't a very user-friendly program, but there is a help section.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-26-2014, 05:54 AM
In that case, why can't you sit down, open iTunes, and try it yourself? You can read, so...I know iTunes isn't a very user-friendly program, but there is a help section.

Soulster, I've gotta ask -- What is this KICK you're on, constantly pushin' downloads down our throats? Do you get a kick-back or some kind of a commission for every CD fan that you convert to downloads? Jesus! Just because you love downloads doesn't mean that everybody else does. And just because you happen to have a technical mind and are good at that stuff doesn't mean that everybody else is. I've already explained to you at least twice already that I'm just not computer savvy, nor do I particularly care to be. I had reluctantly started to accept the fact that we're stuck having to settle for downloads instead of CD's. In fact, I even bought 20 of Motown's and was starting to feel somewhat good about it as long as my friend helped me. But now that some of my download-to-CD transfers have skips, and especially the new "Baby It's Me" CD transfer which won't even play, I've had it! And the more you pressure me and insult me with remarks like "You can read!", suggesting that I just sit down and follow the instructions, the more I'm learning to hate downloads and the techmical crap that goes along with it. In fact, I resent having to jump through hoops and be intimidated and embarrassed just to be able to get my favorite music which I'm already paying good money for. I don't need to be preached to. Kindly lay off. Surround yourself in a shower of downloads if you like, but quit badgering us about it. PLEASE!!! A little of that has already gone a long, long way! You're only adding insult to injury!

soulster
11-26-2014, 06:43 AM
Soulster, I've gotta ask -- What is this KICK you're on, constantly pushin' downloads down our throats? Do you get a kick-back or some kind of a commission for every CD fan that you convert to downloads? Jesus! Just because you love downloads doesn't mean that everybody else does. And just because you happen to have a technical mind and are good at that stuff doesn't mean that everybody else is. I've already explained to you at least twice already that I'm just not computer savvy nor am I good at that stuff, nor do I particularly want to be. I had started to accept the fact that we're stuck having to settle for downloads [[I even bought 20 of Motown's and was starting to feel good about it as long as my friend helped me. But now that some of my download-to-CD transfers have skips, and especially the new "Baby It's Me" CD transfer won't even play, I've had it! The more you pressure me about it and the more you insult me about "just sitting down and read the instructions", the more I'm learning to hate downloads.

No one is insulting you. No one is pressuring you. I simply made a suggestion. I understand that some people don't like change, and don't like being forced into change. What I have never understood is resisting change when it is inevitable. But, I can tell you that the reason you haven't sat down and tried burning your own CD-Rs is because you don't want to. And, one thing that annoys my in this world are people who refuse to make the effort to do anything for themselves.

There is a reason your CD is skipping. I don't know why because i'm not there and can't hear it. I can't play it. There could be several technical reasons for it, and none anyone could easily diagnose over a message board. But, it can be fixed if we knew the cause of the problem. The basic thing is to never leave them in direct sunlight, and always keep them in the case. Do not touch the playing surface with your fingers. Have you tried your CDs in other players? Maybe your CD player is starting to fail. CD players do die out. Maybe you just used bad blanks. Maybe your CD burner isn't up to snuff. Maybe your are burning the discs too fast or too slow. Maybe your hard drive is full. Id your friend burning the discs with disc at once or track at once? I've burned literally thousands of CD-Rs, so I know a thing or two about it. Did you put labels on them? Did you marl on them with something other than a water-based Sharpie?

CD-R is an unreliable technology. It's a crapshoot that is dependant of a lot of variables. This is why we digital guys store out music on hard drives and play music through servers or the computer. Many of us have cars that will play music from a USB stick, and most today can play from an iPod. I quit burning CD-Rs almost ten years ago because they are so unreliable.

I'm not shoving downloads down anyone's throat. But, people are going to have to accept that downloads [[and streaming), are, or are about to become the dominant way to buy and listen to music, and I have nothing to do with that! The record companies like streaming [[which I don't like) because they have complete control over what we are allowed to hear.

I could ask why technology make you so angry. I don't understand your anger toward me right now because all I did in that last post was make a friendly suggestion that you try it yourself instead of waiting for your friend to do it. Instead of getting testy with me for no reason, you should focus on rising to the challenge. I also don't know how old you are, but, it is true that some people lose their cognition diminishes as they age. I didn't get into computers until my mid-40s.

I'm not being mean, i'm not being condescending, was just giving you a suggestion. It's yours to take, if you want it. but, if you are just going to whine about your little skipping CD and not do anything about it, I don't want to hear it.

jack020
11-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Just my 2 cents:
BIM ext. version 2014 total time is almost 81 minutes so recording on 1 80 min. cd might create a problem in playback. I suggest splitting up tracks and burning on 2 cds.
Until this weekend I avoided using iTunes for burning but it really is quite easy. First you make a playlist which you can burn. I always use the lowest speeds for burning like 4x when I want the best results.
You can google all questions about using iTunes.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-26-2014, 07:23 AM
To soulster -- You don't wanna hear me "whining"? Then butt out! We [[you and I) have already discussed this TWICE before, but you just won't let it go. Get over your high-and-mighty technical self. You don't know what I've already attempted on my own and what I haven't, so don't assume that I haven't tried. All I know is that buying music should be fun and uplifting. This isn't.

smark21
11-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Just my 2 cents:
BIM ext. version 2014 total time is almost 81 minutes so recording on 1 80 min. cd might create a problem in playback. I suggest splitting up tracks and burning on 2 cds.
Until this weekend I avoided using iTunes for burning but it really is quite easy. First you make a playlist which you can burn. I always use the lowest speeds for burning like 4x when I want the best results.
You can google all questions about using iTunes.

I noticed the 81 minute length as well so for burning the CD, I just burned the original 10 songs from the album, the added songs and left out the alternate vocal takes. Instead the final track I put on the CD was the Your Love is So Good for Me remix found on the diana album extended version that came out about 8-10 years ago. The alternate vocal takes are just going to remain on my iTunes, or if I get bored with them, I'll delete them to my cloud account.

calvin
11-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Hi Gary, if you're not able to play this on your computer, does your stereo have a usb port? If so, I'm sure a friend could help you copy the files onto a usb stick, then you can just plug the stick in and play [[I'm assuming that if your stereo has a usb port, it will support this file type - I think it should). And no problem with the 81 mins.

Beyond that, maybe you have a friend who can help you get started with audio [[and other) stuff on your computer. Not just doing something for you, but showing you how to do it yourself.

soulster
11-26-2014, 01:25 PM
To soulster -- You don't wanna hear me "whining"? Then butt out! We [[you and I) have already discussed this TWICE before, but you just won't let it go. Get over your high-and-mighty technical self. You don't know what I've already attempted on my own and what I haven't, so don't assume that I haven't tried. All I know is that buying music should be fun and uplifting. This isn't.

Mellow out! If you are angry about not having a CD, don't take it out on me. Don't blame me if you can't figure out how to burn a lousy CD, something that millions of people do every day. Take it out on Universal. And, it sounds like you are the one who won't let it go.

soulster
11-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Hi Gary, if you're not able to play this on your computer, does your stereo have a usb port? If so, I'm sure a friend could help you copy the files onto a usb stick, then you can just plug the stick in and play [[I'm assuming that if your stereo has a usb port, it will support this file type - I think it should). And no problem with the 81 mins.

Beyond that, maybe you have a friend who can help you get started with audio [[and other) stuff on your computer. Not just doing something for you, but showing you how to do it yourself.

Thank you Calvin. That's what i'm talking about!

jobeterob
11-26-2014, 02:19 PM
I've burned off ITunes and pretty much that is how I do it all the time now.

I played Funny Girl a bit ~ the alternate cuts; I think ones where they really had Mary and Cindy on I'm the Greatest Star. But I've always thought most of the tracks on that CD were boring.

I would rather be able to order a CD with a nicely printed booklet; but I even printed the booklet and read it.

I haven't yet bought BIM but I will and I will print the booklet and be happy. And I will listen to that CD a lot more than Funny Girl.

ejluther
11-26-2014, 03:31 PM
it is so easy for one person to do a quality needledrop that sounds equal to, or superior to whatever the labels can produce, complete with artwork and liner note, and ripping information, to upload it just once, and have everyone in the world to get at it.
True, but I imagine that eventually there will be no physical product to do a needle drop from [[I'm taking new music, obviously), only streaming copies so there will be no physical copies to duplicate/needledrop/rip, etc.

And, no, I wasn't meaning you specifically, Philles/Motown Gary, it's just a general complaint I've heard from many people who don't like download-only releases from many sources. I'm coming around to them mainly because the quality is really starting to take an uptick and FUNNY GIRL and BIM show you can still have a beautiful and lovingly produced booklet. Do I miss holding a CD in my hand? Sure, but I also know that what I really miss in that regard is holding an album in my hand, as I did in my youth when I first fell in love with music! But those days are gone and with high-resolution downloads and streaming, the sound quality can be better than ever and that's how I'm coming around. Have I ever "shared" music across the internet? Of course I have. But do I do so with music that I really care about and listen to? No way. if I love it, I buy it [[if available)...

Philles/Motown Gary
11-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Mellow out! If you are angry about not having a CD, don't take it out on me. Don't blame me if you can't figure out how to burn a lousy CD, something that millions of people do every day. Take it out on Universal. And, it sounds like you are the one who won't let it go.
Soulster, if I’m angry, it’s because you won’t leave it alone. I was having a conversation with another poster who had mentioned that some people somehow manage to get their downloads for free from others [[as opposed to buying them legally). Since his post had followed one of my posts, I feared that he might have misunderstood, thinking that I had obtained my downloads illegally. Better safe than sorry, I pointed out to him that, in case he misunderstood, I had indeed obtained my downloads legally. That’s when you started in again, preaching [[for the umpteenth time) that I should sit down and try it for myself, which had nothing to do with the conversation at hand. And now you’re rubbing it in my face that "millions of people burn ‘lousy’ CD’s all the time", implying that I’m an idiot if I can’t. I don’t care what anybody else does. Maybe they have technical minds like you. I don’t, nor does everybody else. [[FYI, over the years, I, too, have loved making CD compilations for all of my favorite categories of music from my CD collection. I’ve burned thousands of CD’s on my independent CD recorders throughout the years, but I had to give it up because I no longer have the patience to deal with it, especially given the defective blank CD-R’s which crept into the mix. And, of course, I’ve never had to do it on my PC until now.)

Maybe I did come down hard on you, and, if I did, I’m sorry, but damn....you DO preach about downloads incessantly – and especially to me! I got it the first 20 times that you said it! You really should get a job working for Itunes or one of the lossless download companies. You would be their star salesman [[unless you high-pressure customers like you do me)!

Look, Soulster, I’ve always liked you and I don’t wanna fight with you. Here’s what happens when we try to burn to CD on my PC: I pay for the downloads. No problem. Then my friend, Matthew, downloads them on my PC for me which is pretty easy – usually. Here’s where the trouble starts: When he drags the newly-purchased album to the icon for burning to CD, it oftentimes doubles the track list to be burned. For example, if we were trying to download The Supremes’ "Where Did Our Love Go" album [[hypothetical), the tracklist to be burned ends up looking like this:

1. Where Did Our Love Go
2. Where Did Our Love Go
3. Run, Run, Run
4. Run, Run, Run
5. Baby Love
6. Baby Love, etc, etc, et.

As you can see, it tends to double everything. Matthew goes through the tracklist, deleting every other one. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn’t. Then, as if that isn’t bad enough, when we try to do it over and start from scratch, the tracklist to be burned to CD somehow contains not only the current songs at hand, but also song titles from other downloads which I have already recently purchased and burned to CD. Fasten your seatbelt – it gets even worse! On two different nights, while dragging the downloaded album to the CD burner icon, the damned thing included not only the downloaded tracks that I wanted to burn to CD, but it also included thousands [[yes, thousands) of other song titles contained within CD’s [[not downloads, but CD’s) which I had purchased from Amazon several years ago. The damned thing thought that I wanted to burn every one of those thousands of songs to CD on my PC. Matthew was baffled, and he typically knows what he’s doing. Try to put yourself in my place and imagine, for just a moment, how it would intimidate somebody like me who is a beginner and who isn’t at all technically minded like you. I happen to have health issues which at times affect my ability to concentrate and comprehend. The last thing I need is being preached to about how I should be more computer savvy when purchasing and using my beloved music which, until now, has been totally separate from computer knowledge [[other than ordering and paying for the music via Amazon). Complicating the issue are the defective TDK CD-R’s which I mentioned in a previous post. Out of 20 downloads burned to CD, three contained skips [[which often times also happened when using my independent CD recorders as well), so I don’t think we’re using the wrong download speed, as 17 download-to-CD transfers came out fine and they sound great. Why Diana’s "Baby It’s Me" download-to-CD transfer came out completely blank [["No File") is beyond me.

As far as the USB port or memory stick thing which Calvin mentioned [[thanks, Calvin!), my Sony portable CD player, which is the only player I use to listen to my music along with my Sony Studio Monitor headphones, also contains a feature which will supposedly play ATRAC MP3's [[whatever they are) as well as CD’s. It didn’t come with a memory stick nor any kind USB port, so I’m not at all familiar with it, but I’m pretty sure I understand what you’re saying. Downloaded music files on my PC could be further downloaded onto the memory stick which would then be plugged into my Sony CD Walkman, thus transferring the music to the Walkman. Correct? There’s just one problem with that theory – I just checked my Walkman and there’s no jack to plug in a memory stick. And the mystery and frustration continues!

skooldem1
11-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Philles/Motown Gary, instead of a CD walkman, why don't you just use a mp3 player or something similar where you can just move the files from your computer to the device? It is as simple as just connecting it to your computer with a USB cable. Your comment about your CD Walkman reminded me of this video, my intent is to lighten the mood. This is not to offend you. It's just for a good laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_vV-JRZ6E

soulster
11-27-2014, 12:46 AM
Soulster, if I’m angry, it’s because you won’t leave it alone. I was having a conversation with another poster who had mentioned that some people somehow manage to get their downloads for free from others [[as opposed to buying them legally). Since his post had followed one of my posts, I feared that he might have misunderstood, thinking that I had obtained my downloads illegally.Too bad your anger brought us to this point because you and I have always got along on this forum. This thread is not a private conversation, it's public. Som if you and another person are having a conversation in public on a thread, you can expect anyone to jump in. If you don't like it, take it private.

I'm waiting for the moment I can download lossless files. I feel you on the artwork, but, at the end of the day, i'm happy with lossless with the cover artwork.

That’s when you started in again, preaching [[for the umpteenth time) that I should sit down and try it for myself, which had nothing to do with the conversation at hand. And now you’re rubbing it in my face that "millions of people burn ‘lousy’ CD’s all the time", implying that I’m an idiot if I can’t. I don’t care what anybody else does. Maybe they have technical minds like you. I don’t, nor does everybody else. [[FYI, over the years, I, too, have loved making CD compilations for all of my favorite categories of music from my CD collection. I’ve burned thousands of CD’s on my independent CD recorders throughout the years, but I had to give it up because I no longer have the patience to deal with it, especially given the defective blank CD-R’s which crept into the mix. And, of course, I’ve never had to do it on my PC until now.)

Now you're playing the victim. I am not insulting you, calling you any names, or trying to imply anything. I wasn't born with a keyboard and a mouse. Granted, I am technically-oriented, ad most of my family is, but I taught myself about computers. I had no one to guide or help me. I was motivated by the desire to make my own CDs from my record collection and CDs.

Again, I suggest that if you want to have a conversation with one person and only one person, take it to private so no one else can see it.

Maybe I did come down hard on you, and, if I did, I’m sorry, but damn....you DO preach about downloads incessantly – and especially to me! I got it the first 20 times that you said it! You really should get a job working for Itunes or one of the lossless download companies. You would be their star salesman [[unless you high-pressure customers like you do me)!When I talk about lossless music, I am talking to anyone who reads the forum, so quit feeling like I am singling you out. And, yes, I to push lossless and high-resolution music because I care about music. It is my deepest belief - and I am not the only one who believes this - that lossy files, and compressed music, are largely responsible for the misfortunes of the record industry, and plays a major role in listeners disinterest, or fatigue when listening to such music. I recall a time not too long ago when people had real stereos that produced full, frequency-rich music that filled a room and made people FEEL the music. Nowadays, people listen with those stupid little ear-buds that constantly fall out of your ears, or those wretched "beats" with their hyped upper-bass frequencies. I want to help get us all back to that good place. Yer damn right i'm on a crusade, and I make NO apologies for it!

Here’s what happens when we try to burn to CD on my PC: I pay for the downloads. No problem. Then my friend, Matthew, downloads them on my PC for me which is pretty easy – usually. Here’s where the trouble starts: When he drags the newly-purchased album to the icon for burning to CD, it oftentimes doubles the track list to be burned. For example, if we were trying to download The Supremes’ "Where Did Our Love Go" album [[hypothetical), the tracklist to be burned ends up looking like this:

1. Where Did Our Love Go
2. Where Did Our Love Go
3. Run, Run, Run
4. Run, Run, Run
5. Baby Love
6. Baby Love, etc, etc, et.

As you can see, it tends to double everything. Matthew goes through the tracklist, deleting every other one. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn’t.

I do indeed see where that happens to many of my albums in iTunes too. Again, iTunes is NOT user-friendly.

Then, as if that isn’t bad enough, when we try to do it over and start from scratch, the tracklist to be burned to CD somehow contains not only the current songs at hand, but also song titles from other downloads which I have already recently purchased and burned to CD.

Fasten your seatbelt – it gets even worse! On two different nights, while dragging the downloaded album to the CD burner icon, the damned thing included not only the downloaded tracks that I wanted to burn to CD, but it also included thousands [[yes, thousands) of other song titles contained within CD’s [[not downloads, but CD’s) which I had purchased from Amazon several years ago. The damned thing thought that I wanted to burn every one of those thousands of songs to CD on my PC.

What I do is drag the files to the right pane, not the burn icon. That way I can see what is there first.

Matthew was baffled, and he typically knows what he’s doing.

I do not know if you are using Windows ot a Mac. I don't know what operating system you are using, or what version of iTunes you are using. At any rate, if I were you, and I were using a Windows computer, I would first download a program called CCleaner [[free version), and clean up dead registry entries. If that doesn't work, i'd uninstall iTunes, run CCleaner again, and then reinstall iTunes. That should do it. The small downside is that you'd have to import all of your music again.

I happen to have health issues which at times affect my ability to concentrate and comprehend.

I was kind of thinking that too, as many people don't really want to divulge that kind of information. But, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. But, if you could have at least hinted this, I could have understood. I had a friend who fell off of a scaffold on his job that left him in constant debilitating pain. He also had no patience for computers because of it. He could not sit or stand for very long. And, damn he loved music! Not really soul music, but classic rock, and bought tons and tons of albums. I think his widowed wife is still trying to deal with the value of his sealed collection.

Complicating the issue are the defective TDK CD-R’s which I mentioned in a previous post.

I recommend using Taiyo Yuden, or Taiyo Yuden-OEM blanks. You can order them online. The audiophiles/pros even recommend them. The stuff you can buy in Target or Walmart is crap made in China, Indonesia, and India.
Out of 20 downloads burned to CD, three contained skips [[which often times also happened when using my independent CD recorders as well), so I don’t think we’re using the wrong download speed, as 17 download-to-CD transfers came out fine and they sound great. Why Diana’s "Baby It’s Me" download-to-CD transfer came out completely blank [["No File") is beyond me.

I do have a workaround. Have your friend convert your itunes files to wav. Locate the folder where they are stored, and use another CD-R burning program to burn those to CD-R. Also, if you use blanks you bought fairly recently, as in the last year, or so, let the burner burn them as fast as it wants.

As far as the USB port or memory stick thing which Calvin mentioned [[thanks, Calvin!), my Sony portable CD player, which is the only player I use to listen to my music along with my Sony Studio Monitor headphones, also contains a feature which will supposedly play ATRAC MP3's [[whatever they are) as well as CD’s. It didn’t come with a memory stick nor any kind USB port, so I’m not at all familiar with it, but I’m pretty sure I understand what you’re saying.

Years ago, Sony had a proprietary format called ASTRAC. It is not mp3, but they used the compression for the MiniDisc format. No other device will play them today. So, that's out. Today, the most common formats are:

mp3 - universal format. Everything can play these.
AAC - This is what Apple uses in iTunes. Some devices and programs will play them.
FLAC - universal lossless format. Not every device or program will play them.
wav - everything will play them - lossless files developed by Microsoft, and it is the most popular. Even the pros use it as a standard now.
wma - Microsoft's lossy format. Some devices can play them, most programs can too.
aiff - Apple's lossless file format. All Apple devices and programs will play them.

Downloaded music files on my PC could be further downloaded onto the memory stick which would then be plugged into my Sony CD Walkman, thus transferring the music to the Walkman. Correct? Only if your Sony Walkman will play one of the above listed formats.

There’s just one problem with that theory – I just checked my Walkman and there’s no jack to plug in a memory stick. And the mystery and frustration continues!

And, that is because the Walkman is an old technology that predates the USB. Most cars made today will play music from a USB stick. Toyota, GM, Ford, ect...

Philles/Motown Gary
11-27-2014, 02:14 AM
Too bad your anger brought us to this point because you and I have always got along on this forum.

We sure have. And we still can!

This thread is not a private conversation, it's public. Som if you and another person are having a conversation in public on a thread, you can expect anyone to jump in. If you don't like it, take it private.

It wasn't a private conversation, soulster. And I don't mind you joining in. I never did. It was the fact that, out of nowhere -- unsolicited -- you changed the subject and the conversation reverted back to the fact that you feel that I should be more adventurous in learning to download and burning them to CD via my PC.

Now you're playing the victim. I am not insulting you.

It IS insulting, whether you realize it or not. Encouraging people to check out the sound quality of lossless downloads is one thing; but when you harp over and over on a more personal level that I should be more flexible and willing to let go, especially when I've already explained twice before why I haven't, it becomes nagging and REALLY personal. That's why I finally blew!

When I talk about lossless music, I am talking to anyone who reads the forum, so quit feeling like I am singling you out. And, yes, I to push lossless and high-resolution music because I care about music. It is my deepest belief - and I am not the only one who believes this - that lossy files, and compressed music, are largely responsible for the misfortunes of the record industry, and plays a major role in listeners disinterest, or fatigue when listening to such music.

That is exactly the reason why some of us are so defensive about holding on to our CDs. They sound great and they're a hell of a lot easier to enjoy and to manage -- at least for me and for countless others who are not computer wizzes like you.

I recall a time not too long ago when people had real stereos that produced full, frequency-rich music that filled a room and made people FEEL the music. Nowadays, people listen with those stupid little ear-buds that constantly fall out of your ears, or those wretched "beats" with their hyped upper-bass frequencies. I want to help get us all back to that good place.

I agree whole-heartedly! Like I was telling you before, I listen to all of my music on my Sony Walkman CD player. [[It's not an old model from the 1980's by any stretch. I bought the first of my model D-NF430 players about 7 years ago at Best Buy.) I liked it so much, and knowing that portable CD players were becoming a thing of the past, I bought two additional [[identical) ones to have as back-ups. That's how great this model sounds when coupled with my Sony Studio Monitor over-the-ear, full-sized Headphones. The sound quality is outstanding and powerful -- every bit as good as a home stereo. Why on earth would I ever want to veer away from that kind of sound quality in favor of a crappy sounding Ipod with tinny ear-buds just to keep up with the current technology -- even if the download is lossless? I, too, am extremely fussy about sound quality. Anything less just wouldn't do. [[I just don't listen using a home stereo any more like you do. I get the same results as you by using my portable. In fact, I wish you were here. I would give you a demo right now so that you could hear it for yourself.)

Yer damn right i'm on a crusade, and I make NO apologies for it!

Well, then, spread the word in general, soulster, but don't pressure people individually about why they're not interested in change at this time. They've got their reasons for jumping or not jumping on the bandwagon, and needling them about it will only turn them off to you and make them more determined than ever to not join in the change.

That's all that I'm saying about it. I'm worn out from having to constantly defend myself. The most recent Sony Walkman model may be "outdated" by your standards, but it serves my needs perfectly -- in the highest sound quality to boot. And I'll bet it sounds better than most people's music-listening devices.

[/QUOTE]

Philles/Motown Gary
11-27-2014, 02:45 AM
To Soulster: When I admitted that I have health issues which effect my ability to concentrate and comprehend, you said the following:

I was kind of thinking that too, as many people don't really want to divulge that kind of information. But, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. But, if you could have at least hinted this, I could have understood. I had a friend who fell off of a scaffold on his job that left him in constant debilitating pain. He also had no patience for computers because of it. He could not sit or stand for very long. And, damn he loved music! Not really soul music, but classic rock, and bought tons and tons of albums. I think his widowed wife is still trying to deal with the value of his sealed collection.

To Soulster: I wasn't gonna go into all that, but you gave me no other choice. Something happens to you mentally and emotionally when you [[in general) have been involved in a serious accident or have been stricken with a serious illness. In the past 16 years, I've been through both [[a car accident and Acute Pancreatitis). Patience and tolerance for anything stress-related becomes a thing of the past, making it difficult, if not impossible, to concentrate on and to comprehend anything new, technically speaking. Yes, computers are a perfect example! I can identify with your friend completely. I'll bet he suffered from problems dealing with short-term memory as well. It's really something when you can remember the events of the day that you bought a certain record back in the 1960's, but you can't remember what you had for supper last night. It's crazy, but it's true! That's why I tried to brush the whole thing off two months ago by simply saying that I'm too old to learn that technical computer stuff, but you wouldn't accept it. You insisted on pressing the issue, although I can't imagine why if you already suspected health issues. Let's just drop it. I do like you, and I don't want to blow up at you again.

soulster
11-27-2014, 04:27 AM
It wasn't a private conversation, soulster. And I don't mind you joining in. I never did. It was the fact that, out of nowhere -- unsolicited -- you changed the subject and the conversation reverted back to the fact that you feel that I should be more adventurous in learning to download and burning them to CD via my PC.

And, I still think you should. My thinking is now that you shouldn't bother with iTunes. It's not a user-friendly program. It really isn't.

It IS insulting, whether you realize it or not. Encouraging people to check out the sound quality of lossless downloads is one thing; but when you harp over and over on a more personal level that I should be more flexible and willing to let go, especially when I've already explained twice before why I haven't, it becomes nagging and REALLY personal. That's why I finally blew!

I think you may be a bit thin-skinned for being on the internet?

That is exactly the reason why some of us are so defensive about holding on to our CDs. They sound great and they're a hell of a lot easier to enjoy and to manage -- at least for me and for countless others who are not computer wizzes like you.

I just think differently. On any other forum, no one would have taken offense by my posts. I typically read and post on two or three music/audio forums simultaneously. Sometimes I have to remember that this is a different bunch here. Does that put things into perspective?

I agree whole-heartedly! Like I was telling you before, I listen to all of my music on my Sony Walkman CD player. [[It's not an old model from the 1980's by any stretch. I bought the first of my model D-NF430 players about 7 years ago at Best Buy.) I liked it so much, and knowing that portable CD players were becoming a thing of the past, I bought two additional [[identical) ones to have as back-ups. That's how great this model sounds when coupled with my Sony Studio Monitor over-the-ear, full-sized Headphones. The sound quality is outstanding and powerful -- every bit as good as a home stereo.

As you may know, Some Sony CD Walkman players were rated very high among audiophiles when they hooked them up to their home systems. I used to own a Sony CD Walkman in the early 90s and it did indeed sound very good! But, I tended to use my Sony changer more because it could hold five discs, and was very programmable, looked for peaks when making cassette tapes, and a couple of other cool things. I still have it, but it is giving up the ghost. Doesn't matter, I don't need it. Since I have my computer hooked up to my stereo via digital cable, I just rip the CDs.

Why on earth would I ever want to veer away from that kind of sound quality in favor of a crappy sounding Ipod with tinny ear-buds just to keep up with the current technology --

You don't have to! I know you think i'm preaching here, but there is a way you can enjoy that quality CD sound without the player, and you still don't have to use a computer. Just ask, and i'll point you to some updated technology that doesn't cost too much. Again, not pushing, but just letting you know it's out there.

Well, then, spread the word in general, soulster, but don't pressure people individually about why they're not interested in change at this time.

Again, I wasn't just writing for you, don't please stop taking it all personally.

They've got their reasons for jumping or not jumping on the bandwagon, and needling them about it will only turn them off to you and make them more determined than ever to not join in the change.

Like I said, any other forum and people wouldn't get so bent out of shape about it.

That's all that I'm saying about it. I'm worn out from having to constantly defend myself.

You never had to. Just don't get defensive. And, you really didn't have to detail your issues.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-27-2014, 05:51 AM
Soulster, I HAD to use itunes. It was the only source for getting Diana's "Baby It's Me" [[Expanded). All of the other downloads were bought from Amazon, which is where most of the weird things happened during the CD-burning process. At least those downloads allowed me to burn to a CD that would actually play [[unlike itunes). Oh, BTW, since you asked, my HP TouchSmart PC is currently using Windows 7 [[64 bit).

jack020
11-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Philles/Motown Gary [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/member.php?7413-Philles-Motown-Gary): you dont have to burn with Itunes, you can burn the files with any burn programm that is on your PC. But always remember to burn an Audio CD for listening on your stereo.
The files can be found when you open the iTunes map in User/Your Name/Music/Itunes usually to be found on your C-partition.

t

soulster
11-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Soulster, I HAD to use itunes. It was the only source for getting Diana's "Baby It's Me" [[Expanded). All of the other downloads were bought from Amazon, which is where most of the weird things happened during the CD-burning process. At least those downloads allowed me to burn to a CD that would actually play [[unlike itunes). Oh, BTW, since you asked, my HP TouchSmart PC is currently using Windows 7 [[64 bit).

Good. I have the same Windows. But, iTunes is always updating the software, and I think they are now gearing it for streaming more than they are for purchasing.

What I meant is that you can buy from iTunes [[or anywhere else) and import the files to another CD burning program as Jack says above. It's just that in iTunes, you would have to convert their files to wav files first. Again, you can do that within iTunes, but they don't make it easy. They want you to stay in their ecosystem.

whitesoxx
11-27-2014, 06:25 PM
In other news, Universal released no less than 14 Neil Diamond catalog albums on CD [[!!) this week...

calvin
11-27-2014, 09:01 PM
In other news, Universal released no less than 14 Neil Diamond catalog albums on CD [[!!) this week...

When someone [[was it Andy?) said that it was only possible to release BIM in this format, he didn't say that it wouldn't have been profitable as a physical release. We see less popular back titles being released on cd all the time, just take a look at The Second Disk website.

And, while all the other Motown download-only titles [[Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Smokey Robinson, Mary Wells Live on Stage, etc) are also available from other sites - including Qobuz, which offers lossless - BIM is at least initially only available on iTunes. In the UK, "Funny Girl" also still seems to be available from iTunes only.

"Only in this format", I think, means that someone with decision-making powers in marketing at Universal decided that the company could make more money this way, including cutting some kind of special deal with iTunes which limits the buyer's choice.

When they decided this, they knew that many wouldn't like it, and it would even cost them some sales, but I guess they still expected a better net profit after taking that into account. Universal has every right to do this. And we can buy it or not.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-28-2014, 02:57 PM

Yeah, whitesoxx, and it seems like conflicting double-standards. Go figure!

soulster
11-28-2014, 03:02 PM
Bottom line: R&B fans [[in the U.S.) have not traditionally bought enough CDs. The record labels live by this rule. They have done studies. In a way, R&B fans have only themselves to blame. They cling to their old record albums.

jobeterob
11-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Bottom line: R&B fans [[in the U.S.) have not traditionally bought enough CDs. The record labels live by this rule. They have done studies. In a way, R&B fans have only themselves to blame. They cling to their old record albums.

I agree with this. This is why Berry Gordy tried to go "pop". It is also why the pure R & B Artists sold less that the less pure types.

soulster
11-28-2014, 04:13 PM
I agree with this. This is why Berry Gordy tried to go "pop". It is also why the pure R & B Artists sold less that the less pure types.

So, if the Supremes/Ross fans are angry that BIM and Funny Girl didn't make it to CD, yet all of Neil Diamond albums did, that's a big reason. But, don't forget that Diamond is a major artist who can control his catalog. Ross just doesn't have that kind of clout with Universal at this time. Perhaps if Say, Sony/BMG Legacy had rights to the BIM and FG albums, you would have had it on CD today.

Mark Desjardines
11-29-2014, 01:52 PM
To add levity to this thread, I'm adding this cartoon from today's Vancouver Sun:8727

soulster
11-30-2014, 01:15 PM
I do hate to see innuendo and such that might indicate "something is wrong" with people not up to snuff with others...I don't understand it, but I don't look down upon them as inferior, less intelligent, immature or whatever it is that makes people feel superior to others because "they know more, have more or are more."

OK, I don't know what you guys are smoking, but I need you to point out exactly where I said any of this, inferred it, or insinuated any of this. What you write makes me realize just how thin-skinned and over-reactive you all are. You guys take everything as a personal offense where there is no reason to.

My point is that this has been a pretty friendly place lately and through my 3 am buzz it seems that maybe we could look at how we might be a bit more respecftful - many things I've read have opened my eyes to things I might have said....."better."

Apparently not, because everything you just said tells me your eyes are still shut. You tell me how many ways I am supposed to try to say something technical around here where people won't feel insecure, threatened, or insulted? We are talking about AUDIO FORMATS, not someone's mother!

supremester
11-30-2014, 01:39 PM
LOL...Hey I'm sorry it was a long party night and I wasn't clear in what I was trying to say and it doesn't matter anyway. Just ignore it, I was unintentionally beyond faded, [[but hope to do it again sometime soon and I'll probably humiliate myself here again and it'll be worth it.) Please know I have learned some tidbits from your writings.

soulster
11-30-2014, 02:48 PM
LOL...Hey I'm sorry it was a long party night and I wasn't clear in what I was trying to say and it doesn't matter anyway. Just ignore it, I was unintentionally beyond faded, [[but hope to do it again sometime soon and I'll probably humiliate myself here again and it'll be worth it.) Please know I have learned some tidbits from your writings.

It does matter. You took the time to post that, so, it mattered to you.

supremester
12-01-2014, 01:42 AM
I had been sipping opium tea since 7pm.....I could go back, read the thread and restate my opinion, but it doesn't matter enough. Right now, I need a new dryer & refrigerator by Friday - that matters now.