PDA

View Full Version : Gladys Knight & the Pips Motown Albums

test

carlo
10-22-2014, 10:08 AM
I have been delving deeper into Gladys Knight & the Pips' Motown output. I am wondering why the albums, "All I Need Is Time", "A Little Knight Music" and "Knight Time" are considered to be compilation albums? Is it because they consist of previously unreleased recordings that were done before the group left the label and released during their Buddah years?

Also, has "All in a Knight's Work", the live album, ever been released on CD?

reese
10-22-2014, 10:23 AM
KNIGHT TIME and A LITTLE KNIGHT MUSIC were released after the group went to Buddah. ALL I NEED IS TIME might have been released a bit before their Buddah debut, but it was definitely after their Motown contract expired. The group actually performed ALL I NEED IS TIME in concert, and even sang it on the same TONIGHT SHOW episode that they performed MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA.

Even though the majority of the material on these three albums was previously unreleased, each had at least one track that had been on a previous album.

I'm sure the live album hasn't been released on cd in the USA, except for the track JUST IN TIME, which was included on MOTOWN CELEBRATES SINATRA. I'm not sure if it was ever released on cd elsewhere.

theboyfromxtown
10-22-2014, 10:24 AM
I do recall that it was known that they were leaving Motown when they were issued.

I also recall that the US and UK version differed on, I think, it was Knight Time. "All In A Knight's Work" wasn't released in the UK as an album.

carlo
10-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys.

What ever happened to the propose Lost & Found set? Have the plans been scrapped?

Roger Polhill
10-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys.

What ever happened to the propose Lost & Found set? Have the plans been scrapped?
It would appear to be so Carlo.We have had quite a few of the probable tracks already and there is another "A Man Is A Woman`s Weakness" on a Tower Records sampler released in 2000.

marv2
10-22-2014, 07:48 PM
I have been delving deeper into Gladys Knight & the Pips' Motown output. I am wondering why the albums, "All I Need Is Time", "A Little Knight Music" and "Knight Time" are considered to be compilation albums? Is it because they consist of previously unreleased recordings that were done before the group left the label and released during their Buddah years?

Also, has "All in a Knight's Work", the live album, ever been released on CD?

Carlo, That's right! Motown released those albums to compete with Gladys & the Pips more current product at Buddah. They had a regular practice of releasing [[mostly inferior ) canned product on artists that left the label. They did it multiple times with Michael Jackson.

Cosmic Truth
10-26-2014, 04:44 PM
I can't believe Motown had an amazing singer like Gladys Knight and failed to hold on to her.

In my opinion, she's the best singer, male or female, I've ever heard.