PDA

View Full Version : Marvelettes - Don't Mess With Bill live

test

no_place_like_motown
10-18-2014, 08:46 AM
This has got to be one of my favorite Motown performances...the choreography is top notch, those steps are sooo perfect..and of course you gotta love those cute bow ties!!

From "Hullabaloo" - originally aired on 2/14/66.

One to enjoy, folks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVsW_6AomOQ

Methuselah2
10-18-2014, 10:40 AM
I love that performance too, Nplm. Cholly Atkins' choreography at full-tilt throttle for the marvelous Marvelettes. And they were marvelous! As was Cholly! In the documentary TWIST [[1991), Atkins explains the accentuated feminine movements he often liked to use in the routines he created. And this routine shows those movements--and The Marvelettes--to such wonderful advantage. Thanks so much for posting. It's a great way to start off Saturday.

arr&bee
10-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Great performance from my girls[is wanda fine or what].

nabob
10-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Are they singing live to a recorded track or lip synching? It's difficult to tell with these old videos. An ad lib at 1:40 makes me think it's live with the recorded track. Both the Marvelettes and Cholly Atkins outdid their selves with this delivery.

blackguy69
10-18-2014, 05:58 PM
I think they are singing live to the prerecorded track. this is a good performance too bad they didnt do more tv shows

Philles/Motown Gary
10-19-2014, 02:27 AM
Thanks for posting one of my all-time favorite Motown videos. Wanda Rogers & The Marvelettes' performance and choreography for "Don't Mess With Bill" is so classy, so sexy, and so gorgeously Motown.

kenneth
10-19-2014, 03:18 AM
I think they are singing live to the prerecorded track. this is a good performance too bad they didnt do more tv shows

You are correct. The timing on certain phrases are a little different than on the record and the fade is definitely different. She never sings "Cause he's mine all mine...say it one more time," as she does on the record.

Great video! They're the best!

no_place_like_motown
10-19-2014, 06:34 AM
You are correct. The timing on certain phrases are a little different than on the record and the fade is definitely different. She never sings "Cause he's mine all mine...say it one more time," as she does on the record.

Great video! They're the best!

Note that Wanda also says "oh, yeah" at 1:41 which isn't on the original recording.

westgrandboulevard
10-19-2014, 07:31 AM
....and Gladys & Katherine add "No,no, no, no.." and "Don't Mess With Bill...." to the voices of The Andantes on the backing track, when they step up closer to their turned-down mike....

copley
10-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Don't even think about it. My girls are tough! :p

smark21
10-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Here's another performance of Don't Mess with Bill. Go up to 27:45 for the start. Lipsynched, but same choreography with Gladys really turning out the moves like nobody's Business. The Marvelettes could dance. Please Mr. Postman starts at 25:19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYwhk0O_tnE

Philles/Motown Gary
10-19-2014, 11:47 PM
Thanks for posting this classic Motown footage, smark21. I had seen this video before, and was going to post it on the Motown Forum myself, but I couldn't find it. I'm glad you did. The Marvelettes' "Don't Mess With Bill" performance is, once again, classy and sexy as ever!

huntergettingcaptured
10-22-2014, 12:40 AM
Man, the Marvelettes were some fine-looking ladies! Gladys especially is looking hot here! I think we forget just how chic and classy these ladies were.

huntergettingcaptured
10-22-2014, 12:49 AM
Have Mercy on everyone who sees this! I got this dvd, saw this performance and showed it to so many of my friends, and everyone flipped over those moves! And these were people who weren't really into my Motown/Marvelettes obsession. Between Hullabaloo and Shindig, I prefer Shindig. BUT Hullabaloo and NBC gets huge props because they showcased the Marvelettes and Kim Weston and so many Motown artists. I also appreciate that they were treated like highly-revered stars.