PDA

View Full Version : Motown covers that upstaged the original artists

test

vcq
11-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Since Motown frequently rerecorded its songs, are there any where you feel the cover surpasses the original recording? A few that come to mind are Leaving Here by the Isley Brothers [[originally recorded by Eddie Holland), Marvin Gaye's Baby Don't You Do It by the Isley Brothers and the awesome Stevie Wonder [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obY26G1zB8Y) cover from '67, and Put Yourself In My Place by the Supremes as well as the Isley Brothers [[originally recorded by the Elgins in '65).

nomis
11-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Dianas "Reach Out I'll Be There" not the single edit - the album version it just builds up and the vocals soar and Paul did an amazing job with the orchestra...

tomato tom
11-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Yvonne Fair It Should Have Been Me beats out Kim Weston and Gladys Knight & The Pips in my humble view...Paulu XXX

144man
11-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Eddie Holland's "Leaving Here" is one of my all-time favorite records, so I don't agree that the Isley Brothers' version is better.

tomato tom
11-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Give me Wanda & The Andantes [[Officially The Marvelettes, of course) A Breath Taking Guy, over The Supremes, any day..Paulo XXXX

midnightman
11-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Yvonne Fair It Should Have Been Me beats out Kim Weston and Gladys Knight & The Pips in my humble view...Paulu XXX

One of the few Motown covers that I believe does surpass the original.

I would also say Diana's version of "Reach Out" for its bridge near the end. Ashford & Simpson gave that remake a dramatic makeover. Went from being a simple up-tempo soulful groove into a gospel-inspired version almost.

I loved Marvin's take of "End of the Road" over Gladys Knight & the Pips and his version of "How Can I Forget You" over the Temptations [[might be blasphemy on the latter but hey, I'm biased lol).

Michael Jackson's version of "With a Child's Heart" surpasses Stevie's.

bradsupremes
11-13-2010, 04:30 PM
The Supremes' version of "Till Johnny Comes" is WAY better than Brenda Holloway's original. Brenda's version puts me to sleep.

I may be the only one who thinks this, but I think the Fantastic Four's version of "Just Another Lonely Night" is better than the Temptations' original.

Again I may be the only one who think this, but I think the Originals' version of "Why When Love Is Gone" was better than the Isley Brothers' version.

Although I love Kim Weston, her original version of "Marionette" was pitchy at points. The Marvelettes handled it much better.

Connie Haines' version of "What's Easy For Two Is Hard For One" had this perfect slow groove to it. Mary Wells' version was too churchy sounding with the organ.

I'm not sure which version was recorded first, but Billy Gordon's lead on "Baby Hit And Run" was ten times better than Dennis Edwards' lead. Although Dennis Edwards is one of the greatest soul singers ever, Billy Gordon adds this rough and raw performance that fit the song perfectly. Plus the Contours & Andantes background vocals on the Billy Gordon lead was better.

Barbara McNair's version of "Oh Be My Love" outshines Smokey & the Miracles' original. Her version was perfect.

The Supremes' version of "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music" is better than the Spinners' original. The Spinners' original was too slow. The Supremes' version had the right upbeat feel to it that was needed.

Comparing Diana's version of "Reach Out, I'll Be There" to the Four Tops' original is like comparing apples to oranges. They're really two different songs with two different meanings. The Four Tops' original is a song of encouragement. Diana's version is a song of uplifting love and motivation.

tomato tom
11-13-2010, 05:40 PM
I love Thelma Houstons version of Reach Out Ill Be There, but in a disco concept., and THAT voice. 4TOPS forever on that one. Yet I love what Val and Nick did with Diana. San Remo Golden Strings is quite good too if your into that Northern Soul thing. Sorry, I cant name a fav on this one. LOVE em all..Paulo XXXX

tomato tom
11-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Another one.I DO prefer the Supremes and Four Tops version of Reach Out & Touch over Diana. Just feel Jean sits just right on the song. And when Levi comes in..Well. Im Hooked. Diana, well, I like it, but, well, it is a bit boring [[sorry).....Paulo XXXX

nomis
11-13-2010, 05:47 PM
I aways had a soft spot for Jermaines My Cherie..when it breaks down into that doo wopstyle vocal acapella in the middle I just melt..

tamla617
11-13-2010, 07:14 PM
papa was a rolling stone the temptations of course covered the undisputed truth

grapevine marvin gaye after bobby taylor,gladys knight etc.

cloud nine temps again after.. edwin starr,gladys and marvin gaye

copley
11-13-2010, 07:15 PM
None of the following were the original Motown versions but I prefer them. Some of course remained in the vaults until recently.

Title - Cover Artist/Original Artist

It Should Have Been Me - Yvonne Fair/Kim Weston
I Got A Feeling - Barbara Randolph/Four Tops
Love Woke Me Up This Morning - Brenda Holloway/Valerie Simpson
My Whole World Ended [[The Moment You Left Me) - Kiki Dee/David Ruffin
From Head To Toe - Chris Clark/Miracles
Sweeter As The Days Go By - Chris Clark/Four Tops
More Love - Barbara McNair/Miracles
My Heart - Tammi Terrell/Carolyn Crawford
Never Can Say Goodbye - Supremes/J5
Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While) - Kim Weston/Eddie Holland
[[Loneliness Made Me Realize) It's You That I Need - Temptations/Eddie Holland
Oh Be My Love - Supremes/Miracles
Smiling Faces Sometimes - Undisputed Truth/Temptations
Helpless - Kim Weston/Four Tops
Stop! In The Name Of Love - Kim Weston/Supremes
He Was Really Saying Something - Marvelettes/Velvelettes
The Boy From Crosstown - Marvelettes/Velvelettes
Someday We'll Be Together - Marvelettes/Johnny & Jackie or DRATS
Way Over There - Marvelettes/Miracles
The Day You Take One [[You Have To Take The Other) - Marvelettes/Miracles
Marionette - Marvelettes/Kim Weston
After All - Marvelettes/Miracles
Here I Am Baby - Marvelettes/Barbara McNair
What's Easy For Two Is Hard For One - Marvelettes/Mary Wells
The Stranger - Marvelettes/Gladys Knight & The Pips
Midnight Johnny - Connie Haines/Liz Lands
I Wish It Would Rain - Gladys Knight & The Pips/Temptations
Everybody Needs Love - Gladys Knight & The Pips/Mary Wells
A Bird In The Hand [[Is Worth Two In The Bush) - Gladys Knight & The Pips/Velvelettes
Just Too Much To Hope For - Tammi Terrell/Monitors
This Old Heart Of Mine [[Is Weak For You) - Tammi Terrell/Isley Brothers
Keep An Eye - Diana Ross/DRATS
I Want You Back - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas/J5
Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things) - Martha & The Vandellas/Kim Weston
Keep Stepping [[Never Look Back) - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas/Carolyn Crawford
Tear It On Down - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas/Marvin Gaye
I've Been Good To You - Brenda Holloway/Miracles
When I'm Gone - Brenda Holloway/Mary Wells
I'll Always Love You - Blinky/Brenda Holloway
Money [[That's What I Want) - Blinky/Barrett Strong
I'm Glad You Belong To Me - Blinky & Edwin Starr/Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
We'll Find A Way - Blinky & Edwin Starr/Chuck Jackson
Every Time I See You I Go Wild - Stevie Wonder/JJ Barnes
Everything Is Good About You - Barbara McNair/Supremes
How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved By You) - Jr Walker/Marvin Gaye
Stay In My Lonely Arms - Elgins/Four Tops
Too Busy Thinking About My Baby - Jimmy Ruffin/Temptations
War - Edwin Starr/Temptations
Your Heart Belongs To Me - Velvelettes/Supremes
Your Love Is Amazing - Shorty Long/Four Tops

midnightman
11-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Wanda Rogers' version of After All surpasses the original by the Miracles and the Supremes' remake.

jobeterob
11-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Much preferred Undisputed Truth's Smiling Faces Sometimes to the Tempts.

This won't be liked by the hardcore fans out there but for much of the world, Diana's Ain't No Mountain High Enough upstaged Marvin and Tammi's; although many people probably don't even know it is the same song and it is like comparing plums to peaches.

vcq
11-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Copley, glad to see you mentioned the Four Tops' version of Helpless...I think I'm tied between Kim Weston and the Four Tops on that one. On another note, I found the Elgins' cover of Wilson Pickett's "In The Midnight Hour" to be interesting, if not my favorite version [[I enjoyed hearing Motown artists record an Atlantic song).

jillfoster
11-14-2010, 01:13 AM
You know, I think Kim Weston's "Stop In the Name Of Love" buries the Supremes version. now, the Doobie Brother's version of "Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While)" was GOOD... it was not as good as Kim's original, but it was in her rearview mirror. And sorry, Mary... but Vikki Carr's version of "I Keep It Hid" is better. We all know, of course, the Supremes don't have the original on that song... but you can hear a sample of Vikki's version here... track 5:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/5537622/a/Love+Story%2FSuperstar.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B665CbQWDz8

midnightman
11-14-2010, 01:29 AM
^ Hell the Isleys' version buries the Supremes' version.

stephanie
11-14-2010, 10:42 AM
I never thought I would say this but I like the Supremes version of Ill turn to Stone better than the Tops and that is the only Four Tops cover I like better.

arrr&bee
11-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Although mary wells recorded it first[what love has joined]belongs to the temps!

platters81
11-14-2010, 12:45 PM
i always preferred Jimmy Ruffins version of "everybody needs love" over Gladys Knight...more Motowny if you know what i mean....

midnightman
11-14-2010, 03:43 PM
I never thought I would say this but I like the Supremes version of Ill turn to Stone better than the Tops and that is the only Four Tops cover I like better.

BLASPHEMY! LMAO j/k

vcq
11-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Midnightman is spot-on...maybe it's just my Isley Brothers fetish speaking here, but I think their covers of Stop! In the Name of Love and Nowhere to Run are truly awesome.

jobeterob
11-15-2010, 01:53 AM
I prefer the Supremes version of Shake Me Wake over the 4 Tops.

jillfoster
11-15-2010, 02:58 AM
I like Barbara McNair's version of "My World Is Empty" a little better than the Supremes version. the Supremes version has a killer instrumental track, but Diana Ross' high, chipper voice is totally wrong for a song with such dark and melancholy lyrics. Mary would have sung that better.

topdiva1
11-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Kim Weston's Stop In The Name Of Love - drags and is boring - not on the level of The Supremes - good but no cigar.

jillfoster
11-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Kim Weston's Stop In The Name Of Love - drags and is boring - not on the level of The Supremes - good but no cigar.

I LOVE the slowness of it, and the light from Kim's voice would take 10,000 years to reach diana Ross.

midnightman
11-15-2010, 03:34 PM
The Marvelettes' version of "I Want a Guy" better than the Supremes' version.

jillfoster
11-15-2010, 05:47 PM
The Marvelettes' version of "I Want a Guy" better than the Supremes' version.

I think anybody's version of that song is better than the Supremes.

smark21
11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Another vote for Shake Me Wake Me being done better by The Supremes.

Some others:

The Marvelettes' versions of A Breathtaking Guy and I Want a Guy originally by the Supremes.

The Velvelettes version of "Your Heart Belongs to Me" originally by the Supremes

The Jackson 5 version of "Forever Came Today" originally by the Supremes

And I actually prefer Junior Walker's version of How Sweet It Is over Marvin Gaye's.

platters81
11-15-2010, 10:14 PM
the 45 version of "my weakness is you" by Edwin Starr.....the alt version of the 45 on the Soul Master lp is even better..

vcq
11-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Junior Walker's Love Hangover is pretty awesome, too...

ladonna
11-16-2010, 01:55 AM
I might be laughed out of the Forum for this, but Mary Wilson's Come and Get These Memories over Martha's..

*taking cover*

rod_rick
11-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Ladona I'm not laughing I feel the same way. Infact I heard the Supremes version first

ladonna
11-16-2010, 02:37 AM
Phew! LOL!

jobeterob
11-16-2010, 03:23 AM
The best version of I Want A Guy is the solo version by Diana Ross released this year.............perhaps it qualifies as a cover.

arrr&bee
11-16-2010, 12:54 PM
i might be laughed out of the forum for this, but mary wilson's come and get these memories over martha's..

*taking cover*haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..that's me laughing you out of the forum for this,nobody sings[come and get these memories better than martha]of course you have the right to your opinion,now having said that...back to laughing you out of the forum ,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...!

miss_lish
11-16-2010, 01:02 PM
And let the debate begin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgmeZyEOpqY

jobeterob
11-16-2010, 02:57 PM
I think I prefer Martha's version; it was a little rougher; the Supremes may have been more palatable for that time period. However there is a reason this song wasn't a big hit ~ there really isn't a strong hook or strong refrain that is catchy. This is no Jimmy Mack or I'm Ready For Love; it is more in the vein of My Baby Loves Me but My Baby Loves Me was a much stronger song musically.

arrr&bee
11-16-2010, 02:58 PM
and let the debate begin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgmezyeopqy

what debate,haaaaaaaaaaa it ain't no contest like i said nooooooobody can sing this song like martha&the vandellas!!

smark21
11-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I prefer Martha and the Vandellas version of Come and Get These Memories mostly because the song was cut for them to be a potential A side so more effort and probably time was invested into the instrumentation, arrangement and performance. I like Mary's smooth vocal on the song, but overall the Supremes version sounds like it was put together very quickly as filler material was needed. Perhaps if more time and effort was invested in The Supremes version it could stand up well to Martha and the Vandellas' version?

copley
11-16-2010, 10:41 PM
There's no context. Martha wins in a walk-over!

adrian
11-19-2010, 03:15 PM
There's no contest. Martha wins in a walk-over!

Absolutely!

:D

arrr&bee
11-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Ok,who lovin you by the jackson 5 is a slightly better version than smokey's original..and heck i might get laughed off the forum for this but[drumroll]am i the only one here who likes the temps and supremes version of-i second that emotion a teeny weeny bit better than smokey's...ok let's not have all of you laugh at once...i can't believe i just sat here and typed that i like twq covers of smokey songs over his version...i need help...[the hooch is on the second shelf from the top]!!!

bradsupremes
11-21-2010, 02:37 AM
David Ruffin's version of "I Want You Back" was better than the Jackson 5's original.

Reasons: 1.) David Ruffin's vocals are killer. 2.) The Funk Brothers, enough said.

tomato tom
11-26-2010, 12:54 PM
I Cant Give Back The Love I feel For You..Diana Ross is my fav over Rita Wright or Diahann Carroll
I Want To Go Back There Again..Chris Clark over Thelma Houston
Heavem Must Have Sent You..The Elgins over Bonnie Pointer
Ma..Temptations just beats out Rare Earth for me. Undisputed Truth is good too.
Loads more..Paulo XXXX

roger
11-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Hello All ..

Have to go along with Arr&bee .. I too prefer the J5 version of "Who's loving You" and the SUPREMES/TEMPTATIONS version of "I Second That Emotion" to the SMOKEY ROBINSON/MIRACLES originals .. now where is my hooch??

Also .. I prefer the VELVELETTES "Lonely Lonely Girl Am I" to JIMMY RUFFINS original "Lonely Lonely Man Am I".

Roger

the_chicks_call_me__slick
12-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Much preferred Undisputed Truth's Smiling Faces Sometimes to the Tempts.

Me too.

The Undisputed Truth's version of The Temptations, You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell Right Here On Earth is my favourite song, of all time.

randy_russi
12-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Put Yourself In My Place is interesting because it was done four times that I know of--Elgins, Supremes, Isleys, and
Chris Clark.
Mary Wells' original of Everybody Needs Love is better than the Temps [[who back up Mary on her's) and
Gladys Knight & Pips versions.
Marvelettes version, led by Gladys, of "Barefootin'" is better than the Robert Parker [[non-Motown) original.

RossHolloway
12-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Born to Love You by the Isley Brothers is better than the Temps version, and I love the Temps version. I was blown away by the Isley Brothers version of this song.

robbert
12-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Found a few other interesting Motown versions on that Vikky Carr album: IfIWereYourWoman [[Gladys), Mountain [[Diana), ICan'tGiveBackTheLoveIFeelForYou [[Syreeta/Diana)...

robbert
12-11-2010, 12:17 AM
The Isley's I Hear A Symphony was a VERY good version of the Supremes hit. The way the drums come in [[at an unexpected moment...) always gives me chills.

And as for ComeAndGetTheseMemories: it was really Mary Wilson & The Andantes... so no competition to the [[then) full group sound of Martha & The Vandellas.
Besides, Mary sounded sorta muffled... maybe even non interested or even scared, because at that time she didn't want to record a solo track at all, right? It would only provoke a certain lady.
Note that on all the Mary solos [[two or three?) in the DRATS period, there was NEVER Diana's voice in the background. Out of that lady's league, I suppose.

Hotspurman
11-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Two points I'd like to make. The first is that some of us slightly younger members might not have heard the original version and therefore sometimes think of the version we heard in the 1970s or whenever to be the original. It's only later when we pick up older albums for our collection that we realise the version we've been into is not the original. You'll notice I say 'slightly younger' - as I'm in my mid-fifties I didn't get into Motown until the very end of the 1960s [[Ball Of Confusion by the Temptations being my first Motown purchase), so I missed the Supremes and Four Tops heyday. However, as someone who fully embraced disco and funk, I'm sure there are many tracks that I rate that will horrify the older members - You're My Driving Wheel by The Supremes is one of my favourite disco tracks of all time, for example. For that reason, I think Forever Came Today by the Jackson 5 is miles better than The Supremes original version. Now, if you'll excuse me, I feel the need to dive for cover....

marv2
11-30-2011, 10:45 AM

That is impossible Stephanie! "I'll Turn to Stone" only sounds good when Levi and the Four Tops sing and perform it! "I would be like a statue in a park...cold and alone, a man with no heart"! Brilliant!

luke
11-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Kim's version of Stop is soooooo annoying-Jill-Im suprised at you!

roger
11-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Two points I'd like to make. The first is that some of us slightly younger members might not have heard the original version and therefore sometimes think of the version we heard in the 1970s or whenever to be the original. It's only later when we pick up older albums for our collection that we realise the version we've been into is not the original. You'll notice I say 'slightly younger' - as I'm in my mid-fifties I didn't get into Motown until the very end of the 1960s [[Ball Of Confusion by the Temptations being my first Motown purchase), so I missed the Supremes and Four Tops heyday. However, as someone who fully embraced disco and funk, I'm sure there are many tracks that I rate that will horrify the older members - You're My Driving Wheel by The Supremes is one of my favourite disco tracks of all time, for example. For that reason, I think Forever Came Today by the Jackson 5 is miles better than The Supremes original version. Now, if you'll excuse me, I feel the need to dive for cover....

Maybe I should be diving for cover too .. as I much prefer the JACKSON FIVE version of "Forever Came Today" as well ... :)

Roger

jillfoster
12-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Well... Motown covers that upstaged the original... here is one of the biggest in my book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSmAzb8tIk8

mowest
12-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Maybe I should be diving for cover too .. as I much prefer the JACKSON FIVE version of "Forever Came Today" as well ... :)

Roger

Even better, imo, is the Commodores' version of "Forever Came Today." Take a listen:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/image/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wCEAAUEBAQEAwUEBAQGBQUGCA0ICAcHCBALDAkNExAUExIQEh IUFx0ZFBYcFhISGiMaHB4fISEhFBkkJyQgJh0gISABBQYGCAcI DwgIDyAVEhUgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIC AgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIP/AABEIAFoAeAMBIgACEQEDEQH/xAAdAAADAQEBAQEBAQAAAAAAAAAABggHBAUDAgkB/8QAPxAAAQMDAwIEAwUEBwkAAAAAAQIDBAAFEQYSIQcxEyJBUQg UoSMyYXGBFUKR8CQloqOxsuEWYnKDs8HD0dL/xAAaAQACAwEBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAwECBAUG/8QALxEAAQQBAwEECQUAAAAAAAAAAQACAxEEEiExkRMyceEFFCJ BUWGBkqFCgqLB0f/aAAwDAQACEQMRAD8AjKiiqD6F9FNH9StG3i+6mu10gm3yfCHyb rSE7dgVk70K55qQLNBHCnyiq7jfDz0clvyEMX/VLiGeCoPx/MrngfY/hSZeOjnTyHJ1OmHP1AGrDDbm5efZPzaHE+QJUGgAdxR75GaHDT yluka3lTvRVE6j6I6Ms8TUzsKde5kiysR5LcXxWgqS094eHAfD 4Cdywrg9hyK9qZ8Ougg7bkRtWz4255pqaJTrRWwZDW6N5QgYyv CTn2J49Kg2ketR8qXKKoqzdE9CXIKs8u8Xa335MgxG1uyGjDlP tpQXWkr8Lyq3KUlJJPb19em39AtJTXGVquV3bZWHSpPitZQUuF IG7w8dsHt6H9AnTsVrxwckuEY7os+Cmyiq8a+GTpsq7TUq1hc/klJcTDSH2Q6lbJKXy6S3jalQTjAH3hXNO+Hjpra1ti5Oarhpeu bVujeJPhkyQtRAdTho4SMAnPOKtSxHNiCkyiqth/D902ujbjtnc1NMQzc3be/uusNvwEtkAvHczyk5yAOcV2Wz4d+jdwlRj/tleEx5rj0eKBMj71ONLdCyfssbMITj33VOkqRmRk0pGoq5WvhA 6YPtB1rUOpVtq7KEmOQf7mk3ql8NGhtEdMrxqe1Xe+vy4SAptE l5lTZycchLQP1q5icBa1g2pMooopSlFWH8LFnavXSjUsZ51SG/n8kA4BPhDv8AhUeVY/wsuhnovrJeQkiSrBPofCFXZ3lB4RrXUOi9JsyIM2VdH5D+9CVQ gPsic4WMqGdpPvzXiRusPTNSokJzQcuXCQD4q3m287gDhYbyQo 5OcFWB+dZpO6p3m06nn+BEt05PiEZlRw4E4GPLk8V9WOu+oWls Mt2Kw/ZkkEwU8nBHPPPeszw4nZv5TPVMaQAySEHwK15XWXp18+zIXoab IU22pCZJjteIMlXlxn7u0p/eI47etcaOq2jX5c193pmuY2p9TjLa4jKFLSUtgFxQBOUnxsd+F J54pFZ6760KVPR7NZAnf5tttSoJr6tdc9Z/LNR/lbShLXlSDATkDbt7+vHv71ZgkvZn8vJQ30dg3vKehWjW7qloyN HjwW+mEiRHiBsNOPR2lOLOwhSleXlR8pJyc89vX/f27aX2V3pq2IjNlL7wt6kK8QZU4UtYCdpGFAc8DJrPl9eOoCmV NF23pRnB2Qmxn19q/LvXPqJIjrZdkxFIcbIUExW+Ukc04xzu/SOvkt2JHg4r3Oa8nUK9/VNl06gG5RorTOg5EBcR9T2YyCEuhSFJUCFAkcKGOTyPSumR1Lm SmZjD+iZCGlzVSWFNNgONIPiK2EkcnLn5YHA9aTF9c+oa21pVc mDgHKflUH2rsT1k14llAFzYIR9qP6Og4ONv68E/xpxbPwWjr5LA7D9HAd5yZ5vVheVOJ6bqcWX3HUeK2VbQpalJwQ kEEeUeoO3tzS/I6iS3z4cvQ86Y2u3CGounzpWlLX2iVBHCitvcffgcY54JHW7qG 24SLo0FLwT/AEZBHb2xXlP9Z+omHVC6sgup8wMVGFfT8qr2cw20jr5JbcXAG4 JVGdPusU/UCXY9w069bnPFcUnxMgYUslI5A7AgfpXq9d3zI+HnUjqgAS0ng f8AEKk+B1k1i7eo6LzdhJh+OFqQEJSM5AzxVO9W5yLl8MF7mtk FLrCTkfmKYxziwh3KsWRtIEfC/nzRRRWVSiqa6LXQ2r4ddZPpVtUqbgH/AJSamWt40AtaPhs1Vt9bh/401dnKgrFZLxdddeUSStRPahxn5Kc0HVIeSCFZbyQrn8a7JFpd YjRpDniJZfj/ADKVFHdO4pOPfzDH61yOxpalMLfbUgOI+zUR3Az/AOqoXWpHyVTdGLwG9MXCHIeU2lEhpTZQgnAPHYD0xWmvXKwOIX 4iYT4U4skOspVwSMfeHuPrUa2nXOqtOOFNpuQjnhJLbY83PH+F NaeuPUeOhLar4ysKH3VREqyRzXGkxHmQvHBTZcdkntcHxr+iqa Nr0LNefW5Z7I6lCx5hHaGRuWcZA9tv8K/K9BdOphWlWnbd5S7yytSOAnKfuqFTnH68dRVMrKFWyQjIK/EgpP48nNe/ZusetpqgmVa7AhLyVLXvgkKIAGeN2T3qHRTMJIdX1Wc4ZN049f n4Ba/M6O9O3oLz0W1uxnPCOC1JXgfZg/vE+v8AhU3G24Gx2fBQrB4MhOSfSth0/rLUOppFxi2ew2RpyENqlrSthXnSQDjnnnse1Z4voRq03Ulc63K bA+6X1n0yf3fat0GTJGSJH9Tah8HZt5tL0iyFxkPG7W9ISM+aS gEH8jx7148u3uR1gqdjupUnI8OQgj6mtRuHSW5Q4qWJHhqUpOQ 4wVLHr+XtSVd+lspD/wDR5D+9WcITGJ/710BlGrJ2Wdm5pZ7OGN2VpK0c8KCvX8Kra43FU/4L7pvOVNsJH1FT/O6Wi0aJn3+4XVZfZb3Nx0NbSDuAwrPatliKUr4Nb+Fejaf8wqI 5my6i1a9JbypJoooqilFUb0otxuPw36wQlOSmdn+7TU5VYnwuW 5N16NatgqTnxJmP7oVdgs0oPCzTULRtnSnp3qJEZREMORnQnHm BWpX5jsrn8abJdv0szd4sz9gw5NvlhG6StJV4YPG7vznckH2CR SVrq6i3aBf0XLWWlRpG9htKclRCycknsME8CvI6b6uuLl5RZp8 wvwFwltttOjKWiBweBnsDXKkjfpLvhfRXq6pavJ0PpNxTEr9hs MvJ2LIbSU4wNxxhXpj6U7wrHFjuobkttvNbQpWUkZyFf73uPrX mWW8OuNlya5EfcaVtRgqCk/ewTkDuB/OaYoeoFvhthyWlKF4SAGzyTnAz7fz+Nchz33VlaDA81bLXe1Zb GkKbVaIaykHJDBz6Ej7/AD5c/wA8UpdQdJacj6YnXS1WmNFuwfQBIRvJ2q78FRHOPTHb8M0xuNX hzDbN5lMqyBhtttY/HGUZ7cf6VyvCYiJNi3a5O3MNtDDEiOEhte0kEbUjnvj2oa/SbtVZA3VbDx8LWddNrVN09cbqZrD09mccrcjIKA2U8gdjnOcDH c1s0QxipTe265CFKUS3japI5Gdv3iAQP9RU9QNZdTmUlMfRSw2 TnKmHcdvzpiha56qqhsKGlUNJyHcqjPKwR29efWtckTy7UR+Qm voimS/hbkuZDOQqBdfIQNmxPmwFZPPccnJpT1xebRYtLT78u23DMRtO1 p0hpLhKwAAdvH3v1Gfzpdt946jyWFOOi2wsgt/aR3FKGR2x4g25yf5NIPV6+ah/YjVtvdyhvfMOBwoYbU0okAgE5WeKbDK1z+yXKdjua+xJf0S9P1 i1qjp7qRKWBFCVpUhneF7UrUkAZwM+bNapKt6oXwaXjcnG9lJ+ oqf9EaflXqdPix1rDKVNeIjPC/tAQD+RqtuqFuRavhYvUJCcBthIx+ortY8YbrLVoJ4CgGiiioQi rc+DkA9ONR5Gf6xH/TTUR1YHwpay0jpzQN9i6i1RabQ+7PC0NzZjbClp8NIyAojIpkf eCg8L1+tfSli5yIdzjNhvxiQteOAfTNTlpWY7pObcYshEVp5t/wAJEl5oLKSlRSoDjIHY9/SrpuOu+lNzgGHI6j6cLfoP2rH4/tVHfU+0aYa11LuNj1JZ58WQrxAY9wbXhXGT5Vfh9aTkR7ke4pk Q1GiU4WvW7zNpI+cjJcwrCnNuVK8qs4wO/n+ntTHadeSpMCRtkxDJbS2pBWtKN3OFdz/CsiYlWFhtJXdba6sHbvL7ZUfx7/j9KZYmo7GI6WnbxaNq07V7pCMY/LdXEkgF7NWkDHPMpH7VqbWq7wXm0uT4KM4BKHGzgbsH97vXjat vd4laQurK5kZ3dFcwlt1HibgkbduD7k0nNXjSKVJIu1kQfUiQ2 Mex+/X3f1PYVMFprUVq2bR5TJbB9jzv7+1K7Ig2GqzGYYdZmP2lK2jI 81+P41yuMyI824QlAypKk+U8+b3zxT2iPiMhtrUb6AAMKUhzJ+ v5/Sl9N904yVEX+2nOUjZIb/8Avt25/wBK+i9TWPw0/wBf23jIx8y2T/mp8gkebpdDX6LaK7Rxv5eSYpEpuGwVv6lDaAclbhdSBnPHbHr9 P4ZP1FuKL3d2nLdKRLYQ2EbgoHnJ9D/jTmNSWTwkl7UFq24BWnx0K54zxu5rvsLWjb1dUvXPWlkhNfvB2 a02O/HdVMgjLH3W6yzPwSCInn7T/iY+g2mY8XQs6ZJjo+Zlyd6CpA3JSkjHP6GtV654Hw86kA7eGP8 AMK9K06p6PWe2sQ4+vtMANpwSLpH5/tUodbteaBuXRDUFss+tLHcJjzY8NiNcGXHFncOyUqya9BGwRsd Z3K44HtFQRRRRWZMRRRRQhFFFFCEUUUUIRRRRQhFFFFCEUUUUI RRRRQhFFFFCF//Z

► 5:17► 5:17 [[http://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D1QY5Jo0bv88&rct=j&sa=X&ei=jMTXTvHtMqOOigLFhJijCg&ved=0CB4QuAIwAA&q=commodores+forever+came+today&usg=AFQjCNFFA-Ismrmn49sWB7AAkGFY9TjDuQ)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QY5Jo0bv88

arrr&bee
12-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Before i type this let me get out of the way of any objects that may get thrown at me[hehehe]now let me say that the marvelettes version of[what two can easily do]is just a tad better than mary wells brilliant version...hey put down those tar and feathers!!!

motony
12-02-2011, 01:08 PM
lol arr & bee, the track is better because its 4 years newer & styles changed quickly at that time.

kenneth
12-02-2011, 01:14 PM

Roger

I agree as well regarding "Forever Came Today." The Sups' version is a bit too melodramatic, and Diane's vocal so stilted sounding. It's a good song but I like the way the J5 unleashed it from its origin and turned it into a great dance song.

And as much as I loved Gladys Knight's "Grapevine," I think Gaye's is even better...and it did outsell hers on the charts as well even though it was released [[2 years?) later.

Finally, although I like both versions, the Sups' charming version of "Breath Taking Guy" is too much in their early and anachronistic nearly-Doo Wop style and is far outranked by the Marvelettes' much later version which, to my ears, doesn't even sound dated today.

bradsupremes
12-02-2011, 02:38 PM
I might be the only one here who hates the Jackson 5's version of "Forever Came Today." Their version was mediocre at best. Give me the Supremes' original anyday.

motony
12-02-2011, 02:43 PM
I prefer the Supremes "Forever Came Today"...I think the track really wasn't completed by HDH because it seems like that was when they were leaving.

skooldem1
12-02-2011, 02:52 PM
The Supremes version is the best. One of the Supremes best songs. Diana's vocal delivery gives it just the right amount of drama that the lyric calls for. I also love the version by the J5. Its basically the same structure but to a disco beat. I like them both equally, with a nod going to the original version. Funny that some think a cheap disco version of the song is better than the original. Go figure.

kenneth
12-02-2011, 03:10 PM
The Supremes version is the best. Funny that some think a cheap disco version of the song is better than the original. Go figure.

Funny that some think theirs is the only valid opinion! Go figure!

skooldem1
12-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Funny that some think theirs is the only valid opinion! Go figure!

Don't ge it twisted. I said I like both equally. It's just that to me, a cheap disco version of anything is RARELY better than the original. Of course there are exceptions. You are trying to start shit and I am not in the mood.

bradsupremes
12-02-2011, 04:29 PM
I prefer the Supremes "Forever Came Today"...I think the track really wasn't completed by HDH because it seems like that was when they were leaving.

You're right, motony. The original track was cut in LA in April 1967 and assigned to the Miracles. Most likely HDH oversaw and produced the instrumental track. Some people have been led to believe in false claims that Mary and Florence originally did background vocals for the track around this time according to Tony Turner's book, but this is not true. The track sat in the can until December 1967 when Diana added her lead vocal. HDH just left Motown the month before, so chances are that someone else added Diana's and the Andantes' vocals to the track. I have a feeling it was R. Dean Taylor since he oversaw the vocals being added to the Four Tops' "I'm In A Different World." Both songs are very similar in tone, complexity, and lyrical content. I have a theory that HDH were going to advance the Supremes and Four Tops into a new level of song maturity had they stayed with Motown and had both songs turned out to be smash hits. Unfortunately, both songs were flops on the charts due to the songs being ahead of their time and too sophisticated for the pop market. Nonetheless, both songs are perfect examples of the shear brilliance of the songwriting of HDH. I think both songs are some of their best work.

Back to topic, I always felt the Temptations' version of "Everybody Needs Love" was the best of all versions recorded with Jimmy Ruffin being a close second.

jobeterob
12-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Good research again Brad.

Opinions vary so much which makes it all so interesting. I love that.

I don't think anyone could have redone Grapevine and upstaged Gladys Knight; not Marvin or Creedence.

On the other hand, and now I'll duck for cover for attacking the sacred and the deceased...............but in terms of upstaging, you have to admit that Diana's "Mountain", while very different, upstaged the original, in every way.

marv2
12-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Good research again Brad.

Opinions vary so much which makes it all so interesting. I love that.

I don't think anyone could have redone Grapevine and upstaged Gladys Knight; not Marvin or Creedence.

On the other hand, and now I'll duck for cover for attacking the sacred and the deceased...............but in terms of upstaging, you have to admit that Diana's "Mountain", while very different, upstaged the original, in every way.

Not hardly when you listen to what her actual contributions were to that recording.....it's hilarious! LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFmPN97BzIc

Hotspurman
12-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Cheap disco version? So is Thelma Houston's version of Don't Leave Me This Way to be ignored because it is a disco version of an already classic track? Motown did some great disco, and Forever Came Today by the Jackson 5 is just one of them.

bradsupremes
12-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Cheap disco version? So is Thelma Houston's version of Don't Leave Me This Way to be ignored because it is a disco version of an already classic track? Motown did some great disco, and Forever Came Today by the Jackson 5 is just one of them.

I disagree. Some songs were written to be dance oriented. "Love Hangover" is one of those tracks. There's not much depth to it or lyrical poetry. The same can be said about the lack of lyrical content in "Don't Leave Me This Way." This is not a slam against these songs. That's just how these songs were written. Actually I think they are masterpieces of the disco era. "Forever Came Today" on the other hand is a different type of song. It is lyrically and musically motivated with a deeper complex structure and meaning. In essence, it's a very mature and sophisticated love song; thus the reason why it didn't do so well on the pop charts back in 1968. It went over people's heads and was ahead of its time, especially for it being a Motown song. Though it was not a hit when first released it has become an overlooked and underrated production. It fits beautifully with how the original production was recorded. Now, when you take a complex, mature and sophisticated song like "Forever Came Today" and try to squeeze into the dance/music mold, it doesn't always work. That's how I feel about the Jackson 5's version of "Forever Came Today." The disco vibe completely takes away from lyrical and musical content and truly cheapens the song. It doesn't have the same power and meaning to it. It becomes just another disco song. A successful attempt at the song was done by the Commodores in 1975. Their version emphasized the lyrical and musical content just the way the original was done, but adds a new element to it. People may disagree with me on all this, but "Forever Came Today" works best the way the original Supremes recording was done...as a love song.

Speaking of Motown's disco productions, take a listen to the Jackson 5's version of "Forever Came Today" and then compare it with Diana Ross' "Love Hangover." You'll hear an average-nothing spectacular disco track and then you'll hear a true disco masterpiece.

144man
01-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Although I love Kim Weston, her original version of "Marionette" was pitchy at points. The Marvelettes handled it much better.

Rather than being pitchiness, isn't it more a case of the song having originally been written with a slightly different tune to the Marvelettes?

mysterysinger
01-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Vikki Carr's version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" is pretty close to Diana's and is a great sound. The "B" side of the single featured "I've Never Been A Woman Before" - another lovely Jobete/Motown song BUT I'm not sure who recorded it at Motown.

Whilst talking of "Come and Get These Memories", Kim Weston's version is pretty awesome too.

glencro
01-12-2012, 09:59 PM
I always liked Sister Sledge's remake of "My Guy" was stronger vocally than the original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvOewsmQeWM&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLC1B42F4B96AD80E0