PDA

View Full Version : The marvelettes anthology-no booklet?what's up?

test

arr&bee
10-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Most motown anthologies have a booklet with photos and a history of the group,but not the marvelettes,some nice pics on the inside cover but there should be a booklet,do you agree?

marv2
10-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Most motown anthologies have a booklet with photos and a history of the group,but not the marvelettes,some nice pics on the inside cover but there should be a booklet,do you agree?

I agree! The Marvelettes are the "Rodney Dangerfields" of Motown groups! LOL~!

BayouMotownMan
10-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Actually Motown had no plans to issue a Marvelettes Anthology. They didn't feel the group had any sales power. But the Carpenters hit big with Please Mr. Postman, so Motown rushed this out.

longtimefan
10-17-2014, 12:24 AM
That LP album was released 39 years ago. Since then, The Marvelettes have released some excellent CDs including two box sets with extensive notations.

arr&bee
10-17-2014, 12:59 AM
actually motown had no plans to issue a marvelettes anthology. They didn't feel the group had any sales power. But the carpenters hit big with please mr. Postman, so motown rushed this out.what???are you serious?

smark21
10-17-2014, 08:04 AM
That LP album was released 39 years ago. Since then, The Marvelettes have released some excellent CDs including two box sets with extensive notations.

Yes but some people enjoy being bitter and feeling victimized forever.

Mark Desjardines
10-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Yes I was disappointed at the tine I purchased my copy of the Marvelettes double vinyl anthology set, and wondered if the Canadian version came without the booklet. As I had purchased all the others artist anthologies, the accompanying booklet was a big deal for me at the time. But, as previously stated above, the more recent CD box sets have more than made up for that oversight, and besides it was what was in the grooves that counted!

motony
10-17-2014, 09:12 AM
I was surprised when I bought the Anthology LP new when it came out, that there was no booklet HOWEVER, it was at the same time that the fake Marvelettes started making their rounds.The Anthology LP had plenty of pics of the group but ofcourse did not identify individual members.

Motown Eddie
10-17-2014, 10:03 AM

Yes; there should have been a booklet for "The Marvelettes Anthology" just as they had for the other releases in the series . Perhaps Motown was trying to save money by not including one. And, "The Jackson 5 Anthology" [[released a year later in 1976) had no booklet either [[at least until the first CD release in 1986).

woodward
10-17-2014, 11:07 AM

Although it is probably not considered an Anthology, in 1993 Motown released The Marvelettes: Deliver the Singles 1961-1971. This had a very informative 20 page booklet including group photos, records, sheet music, etc. It was written by Fred Bonson, author of the Billboard Book of Number One hits.

rrussi
10-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Unfortuantely, the Marvelettes Greatest Hits lp from 1966 did not identify the members of the group in the liner notes on the back cover. This helped the fake groups and so did this Anthology lp, which also did not identify the members.

arr&bee
10-18-2014, 01:39 PM
I think that most of us who bought the lp knew the members,but
it was just disrespectful not to include a booklet.

stephanie
10-18-2014, 07:21 PM
I dont know what Motown has against the Marvelettes. If anything they created the cash flow for Motown to continue and since Smokey had produced the Wanda years after Gladys left you would think that association alone would have guaranteed them a booklet or some sort of attention. Do they think there are no Marvelettes fans out there? Im sure by now they see the number of fans these women have? I would venture to say they have more DIEHARD FANS than Martha and the Vandellas. I remember when it came to nominations for the RRHOF the Marvelettes had more people writing letters to the hall than a lot of other well known groups. You cant tell me that Darlene Love has as many people writing letters or demanding induction. More people know who the Marvelettes are over Darlene Love [[whom I happen to like by the way). Im sorry I just dont like the way the Marvelettes have been treated over time.

marv2
10-18-2014, 09:48 PM
I dont know what Motown has against the Marvelettes. If anything they created the cash flow for Motown to continue and since Smokey had produced the Wanda years after Gladys left you would think that association alone would have guaranteed them a booklet or some sort of attention. Do they think there are no Marvelettes fans out there? Im sure by now they see the number of fans these women have? I would venture to say they have more DIEHARD FANS than Martha and the Vandellas. I remember when it came to nominations for the RRHOF the Marvelettes had more people writing letters to the hall than a lot of other well known groups. You cant tell me that Darlene Love has as many people writing letters or demanding induction. More people know who the Marvelettes are over Darlene Love [[whom I happen to like by the way). Im sorry I just dont like the way the Marvelettes have been treated over time.

I believe it may have had something to do with politics and the fact that the Marvelettes were not a part of the game.................