PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross - 99 1/2 Won't Do

test

no_place_like_motown
10-16-2014, 04:52 AM
Here's Diana doing the legendary Gospel song with a choir. If I recall she performed this on her 1987 Red Hot Rhythm & Blues TV Special. I love old school gospel and Diana & the choir tore it up! The video runs a little over 2 minutes - it left me longing for more!

A rare treat, folks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRm48vL8o18

reese
10-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Too bad they didn't include it on the recent cd reissue of RED HOT RHYTHM AND BLUES.

jobeterob
10-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Would have been an excellent piece to include on the new CD release.

midnightman
10-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Sing it, Diana...

Philles/Motown Gary
10-16-2014, 03:14 PM
At first, I thought your video was gonna include actual footage from the "99 1/2" segment of Diana's TV special. No matter; it was still great to hear it! I was thinking the same thing, that funkytowngrooves could/should have included "99 1/2" as a bonus track on Red Hot Rhythm & Blues. Either way, thanks for sharing. Diana's version is HOT!!!

blkfrost
10-16-2014, 04:46 PM
I thought this song was on the box set from 1993 or so. It would be great to have the video from the TV special.

Ryon6
10-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Isn't this the same track from Diana's box set 'Forever Diana'?

marybrewster
10-16-2014, 10:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX3FMX4LkLI

Philles/Motown Gary
10-17-2014, 01:39 AM
Well, Mary Brewster, bless your heart! I had completely forgotten about Diana playing the part of the old woman backstage who was a former star, making her musical comeback appearance for the first time in years. I remember like it was yesterday, however, how I turned to mush in the final scene when the old woman stepped out in front of the audience to a standing ovation and how I balled like a baby! Diana Ross has always had that effect on me. Like a magazine headline once said: "Diana Ross -- the lady who can break a heart with one note!" I couldn't agree more. Thanks for sharing this great video, Mary. You've got me craving for more! - Gary

Bokiluis
10-17-2014, 03:56 AM
Too bad they didn't include it on the recent cd reissue of RED HOT RHYTHM AND BLUES.

And it's not like this wasn't brought to Funkytown Grooves attention. The only thing I can figure is that "99 1/2" was initially cleared by Motown/UMG and EMI for "Forever, Diana".
This expanded release was cleared by RCA/Sony domestically and EMI internationally. [[But EMI was owned by UMG by the time this expanded edition was released, but, maybe they were still acting as separate companies). It gets a little confusing. But maybe the accounting was too complex for one track.

i always felt that the songs that were part of the soundtrack for the special should be a different soundtrack album and include "At Last".

And a separate studio album would have "Shine", "Cross My Heart", "It's Hard for Me to Say", etc. and maybe more tracks produced by Luther Vandross. [["Diana!"1971 was a soundtrack to the special and it went to #17 without any new songs).

Have I totally confused everyone?!?!?

no_place_like_motown
10-17-2014, 08:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX3FMX4LkLI

Great find, Mary! Thanks...