PDA

View Full Version : in more drtail a jouney through six supremes october releases

test

franjoy56
10-16-2014, 01:57 AM
Its amazing to see how many October single releases the supremes had
1. Come See Ahout Me. Oct 27th. The third number 1 from their album wdolg. A record that the supremes really loved having more soul than pop and where the background vocal are turned up to complement ross lead. The song hit 1 for 2 weeks in dec and jan. And performed their most viewed supremes tv appearance on ed sullivan 12.27.64 and a month earler on shindig to a different shimmy routine.

2. I Hear a Symphony. Oct. 6, 1965 After Nothing but heartaches failed to hit the top only reaching number 11, Gordy after hearing the ihas track demanded hdh release it immediately esp. With the toys soundalike a lovers concerto racing up the charts. I hear a symphony debuted at @ #39 and raced up to number 1 passing the toys who stopped at #2. The supremes hit the top for two weeks in november and appeared on hullaboloo and mike douglas to promote their 6 number 1.

3. You keep me hangin on Oct 12., 1966 With its morse code and satelite sounding feel, the supremes started a second run of number 1 records ykmho was the second number one in this group. The track featured florence ballard heavily on bckg vocals and it is more apparent on the mix from the motowns sory box set. The track hit number 1in late nov on both the pop 2 wks and r&b chart for 4 wks. The supremes performed it on the sullivan show as part of a supremes medley and also on the hollywood palace with their signature show stopper "somewhere".

In and out of love. oct 25, 1967. The song has a smooth bouncy flow one of the first single releases to feature the andantes instead of the supremes although mary and flo recorded their vocals in early 67 some sources indicate their vocals were erased forr the the a'sfollowing flo, s departure from the supremes. The song stalled at number 9 on the pop charts in late 67. The supremes now billed as dr and the supremes performed on ed sullivan show with cindy making her first or 2nd sullivan appearance.

If LOVE CHILD had been released a day later on oct 1 instead of sept 30, 1968 we would have a complete consecutive succession of october supremes single releases from 1964 to 1970.

Someday well be together. Oct. 16, 1969 When this record broke into the top 40 on november 15 gordy gave ross the green light to make her exit from the supremes. we all know the supremes were not featured on the track but who knew it at the time, all i knew was i heard unfamiliar voices in the mix, The record was heartfelt and when the farewell tour was announced the record went full steam into number 1 the last week of december . Diana and the supremes made two appearance with the record on the hollywood palace in the fall and the ed sullivan show on dec 21, 1969. And in january sang it nightly at the frontier hotel farewell show in vegas ending an effective career with diana ross as its star of tne supremes.

STONED LOVE. Oct.15. Stoned love was the jean terrell led supremes crowning glory. This record was unlike any other supremes record with a beautiful reading by jean with the songs opening, which is more effective on tne album new ways but love stays than the choppy single edit. The record broke into the top 40 on nov 21, and along with jeans sparkling lead vocal mary and cindy provide great backing vocals on their own. The record peaked at number 7 last week of december and went to #1 on the r&b chart. Jean mary and cindy performed the song on the tom jones show in november 1970 along with river deep mt high with jones performing with them as the male voice. STONED LOVED suffered a mistaken drug reference due to its name incorrectly labeled instead of STONE LOVE a song about universal peace and love for one another.. A fabulous record nonetneless. MARY STILL PERFORMS THIS RECORD IN HER SHOW OCASSIONALLY.