PDA

View Full Version : Producers question: Ashford & Simpson

test

mowest
10-15-2014, 11:09 PM
As we all know "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was written by Ashford and Simpson. It was first recorded by Tammi Terrell with vocals by Marvin Gaye added after the fact. But this version was produced by Bristol & Fuqua. Later, Ashford & Simpson produced a totally new version of the song with Diana Ross. Does anyone know if Ashford & Simpson were ever given a shot a producing the original? Did they have any production input with Bristol & Fuqua? I wonder how they would have done it. Do you think it would have wound up sounding more like Diana's take? Thanks.

skooldem1
10-15-2014, 11:35 PM
I'd say no it wouldn't sound like Diana's version. Nick Ashford said that he loved Diana's speaking voice, so they reworked the record to include those speaking parts.

thomas96
10-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Don't think so mowest.. Tammi and Marvin were initially assigned to Bristol and Fuqua.

skooldem1
10-15-2014, 11:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyQQgCuGI5c

mowest
10-16-2014, 02:44 AM
Thanks, skooldem1, for posting the interview. It was very informative!

Ryon6
10-16-2014, 10:17 PM
Did Stevie Wonder ever record or was produced by Ashford and Simpson?

jack020
10-17-2014, 01:54 AM
I only know he played harmonica on their "Nobody walks in L.A."

reese
10-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Did Stevie Wonder ever record or was produced by Ashford and Simpson?

I don't know of any specific titles. But I remember an interview where A&S said how challenging it was working with Stevie because during the session, they had to feed him the lines early enough so that he could sing them at the right time.

bradsupremes
10-17-2014, 02:32 PM
I forgot where I heard it, but I thought for the first year or so at Motown, Ashford & Simpson weren't allowed to produce their own songs. That's why we see Bristol & Fuqua producing a lot of the early Marvin & Tammi material and Holland & Dozier producing Syreeta's "I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You." I don't know if it had to do with them not being established producers so Motown had those who produced hits work on their songs.

reese
10-17-2014, 03:21 PM
I forgot where I heard it, but I thought for the first year or so at Motown, Ashford & Simpson weren't allowed to produce their own songs. That's why we see Bristol & Fuqua producing a lot of the early Marvin & Tammi material and Holland & Dozier producing Syreeta's "I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You." I don't know if it had to do with them not being established producers so Motown had those who produced hits work on their songs.

I believe they didn't initially have a producers' contract, only a songwriters' contract. Their first production [[I think) was AIN'T NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING.

smark21
10-17-2014, 08:09 PM
Did they produce anything for The Marvelettes besides Destination Anywhere, an excellent record by the way?

reese
10-17-2014, 09:11 PM
Did they produce anything for The Marvelettes besides Destination Anywhere, an excellent record by the way?

They wrote YOUR LOVE CAN SAVE ME [[produced by Ivy Hunter) on the SOPHISTICATED SOUL album. They also wrote and produced YOU AIN'T LIVIN' TILL YOU'RE LOVIN'.

smark21
10-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Thanks Reese. Not crazy about Your Love Can Save Me, but You Ain't Livin till Your Lovin' seemed to be a winner for whomever recorded it--Marvin-Tammi; Wanda/Marvelettes; Diana/Supremes.

no_place_like_motown
10-18-2014, 08:19 AM
I believe they didn't initially have a producers' contract, only a songwriters' contract. Their first production [[I think) was AIN'T NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING.

I believe you are correct, Reese. It looks as if their first year at Motown was solely a songwriter's contract. "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing" was A&S's first production on 10/6/67; "Your Love Can Save Me" by the Marvelettes was the first song they composed on 10/27/66 [[produced by Ivy Jo Hunter), which is pretty close to a year before their first production.

I'm thinking there are still some songs in the can written by A&S that we hopefully will see on future releases so this info may change...

mowest
10-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Is it possible that any demos were done by Ashford & Simpson singing the songs they wrote for Gaye & Terrell? Might there be any in the vaults?

no_place_like_motown
10-19-2014, 06:15 AM
Is it possible that any demos were done by Ashford & Simpson singing the songs they wrote for Gaye & Terrell? Might there be any in the vaults?

We do know that some of the songs they wrote were recorded for an LP that was scheduled to be released as "Nick And Val" on US Tamla 323 circa 1972. Here's the proposed track list:

Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Your Precious Love
Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing
Isn't Love Supposed To Be Like This
You're All I Need To Get By
If You Don't Love Me [[One Day You Will)
Oh Love Don't Make Me
Remember Me
Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand)

A&S appeared on the PBS show "Soul" on 10/11/1972 and they performed "Remember Me" and "Reach Out And Touch"; Valerie sang some of her solo recordings including the beautiful "Silly, Wasn't I".

http://www.thirteen.org/soul/oct-11-1972/

reese
10-19-2014, 09:40 AM
A&S appeared on the PBS show "Soul" on 10/11/1972 and they performed "Remember Me" and "Reach Out And Touch"; Valerie sang some of her solo recordings including the beautiful "Silly, Wasn't I".

Quite often, when I visit the Museum of TV, I make a point of watching at least some of this appearance. Nick and Val have the entire hour to themselves and put on a great performance. The performance of STEAL AWAY with members of their church choir is a highlight.

splanky
10-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Quite often, when I visit the Museum of TV, I make a point of watching at least some of this appearance. Nick and Val have the entire hour to themselves and put on a great performance. The performance of STEAL AWAY with members of their church choir is a highlight.

Dang! I had to bookmark that link so that I can watch later when I have time to watch the
whole thing...

mowest
10-20-2014, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=no_place_like_motown;255047]We do know that some of the songs they wrote were recorded for an LP that was scheduled to be released as "Nick And Val" on US Tamla 323 circa 1972. Here's the proposed track list:

Your Precious Love
Oh Love Don't Make Me
Remember Me

Why in the world has this album not been released? With as hot as Ashford & Simpson became as performers, you'd think there would have been plenty of people who'd want this in their collections.

masterblaster
10-24-2014, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=
Why in the world has this album not been released? With as hot as Ashford & Simpson became as performers, you'd think there would have been plenty of people who'd want this in their collections.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the Valerie Simpson vocals sounded too much like another femail singer and would have let the cat out of the bag!!

mowest
10-24-2014, 02:16 PM
"Perhaps the Valerie Simpson vocals sounded too much like another femail singer and would have let the cat out of the bag!"

If she sang in her "natural" voice I don't think that would be an issue. Anyhow, after all these years...really?

Lulu
10-24-2014, 05:54 PM
We do know that some of the songs they wrote were recorded for an LP that was scheduled to be released as "Nick And Val" on US Tamla 323 circa 1972. Here's the proposed track list:

Your Precious Love
Oh Love Don't Make Me
Remember Me

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I love when they sing their compositions.

theboyfromxtown
10-24-2014, 06:07 PM
I seem to recall that the versions of their older songs were in a medley.

Philles/Motown Gary
10-25-2014, 07:42 AM
I stumbled across this interesting find while browsing through YouTube's Ashford & Simpson videos. It's Oprah Winfrey interviewing Valerie Simpson and her two daughters following the death of husband/father Nick Ashford, courtesy of OWN TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRAme5JtMWY

And also this segment of the interview between Oprah and Val, which is a bit more serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fw-Ur87VOY

Hope you enjoy. - Gary