PDA

View Full Version : The Four Tops to Play Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza, 10/24

test

marv2
10-12-2014, 11:39 PM
http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmusic/article/The-Four-Tops-to-Play-Thousand-Oaks-Civic-Arts-Plaza-1024-20141006

Popular soul group The Four Tops comes to the Fred Kavli Theatre, Friday, October 24, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

The quartet, originally called the Four Aims, made their first single for Chess in 1956, and spent seven years on the road and in nightclubs, singing pop, blues, Broadway, but mostly jazz-four-part harmony jazz. When Motown's Berry Gordy Jr. found out they had hustled a national "Tonight Show" appearance, he signed them without an audition to be the marquee act for the company's Workshop Jazz label. That proved short-lived, and Stubbs' powerhouse baritone lead and the exquisite harmonies of Fakir, Benson, and Payton started making one smash after another with the writing-producing trio Holland-Dozier-Holland.

Their first Motown hit, "Baby I Need Your Loving" in 1964, made them stars and their sixties track record on the label is indispensable to any retrospective of the decade. Their songs, soulful and bittersweet, were across-the-board successes. "I Can't Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)," a no. 1 R&B and Pop smash in 1965, is one of Motown's longest-running chart toppers; it was quickly followed by a longtime favorite, "It's The Same Old Song" [[no. 2 R&B/no. 5 pop).

In 1990, with 24 Top 40 pop hits to their credit, the Four Tops were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. Though they would no longer have hits on record, the group continued to be a hit in concert, touring incessantly, a towering testament to the enduring legacy of the Motown Sound they helped shape and define.

For Rolling Stone's 2004 article "The Immortals - The Greatest Artists Of All Time," Smokey Robinson remembered: "They were the best in my neighborhood in Detroit when I was growing up [[and) the Four Tops will always be one of the biggest and the best groups ever. Their music is forever."

Single tickets are priced at $41-76 with group discounts available. Tickets are available from Ticketmaster at 800-745-3000, online at www.ticketmaster.com, or through the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza Box Office, located at 2100 Thousand Oaks Boulevard. For more information call 805-449-ARTS [[2787) or visit www.civicartsplaza.com.