PDA

View Full Version : Supremes feat Mary Wilson - Our Day Will Come

test

no_place_like_motown
10-11-2014, 05:30 AM
I absolutely love Mary's lead on the Supremes' version of ODWC. She's in her element here and IMO this version is right up there with Ruby & The Romantics' original from 1963.

Originally scheduled for the unreleased "There's A Place For Us" LP in 1965, the song didn't surface until "The Never Before Released Masters" was issued in 1987. We waited so long to hear this fine gem - it really should have been issued on another released LP or as a "B" side!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5rdZ67dPAE

marv2
10-11-2014, 09:56 AM
That is a great version and Mary sounds wonderful. Flo and Diane do a great job on the background as well.

antceleb12
10-11-2014, 10:30 AM
That is a great version and Mary sounds wonderful. Flo and Diane do a great job on the background as well.

Flo and Diana might be on here, but I believe the Andantes are mixed in, and that is what you hear.

antceleb12
10-11-2014, 10:31 AM
This is one of my favorite Mary-led Supremes tracks, along with her solo version of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You."

arr&bee
10-11-2014, 12:17 PM
All i can say is wow,this is indeed a gem...wow!!

marv2
10-11-2014, 01:02 PM
All i can say is wow,this is indeed a gem...wow!!

I agree. Why Motown held it back for so many years is a mystery to me.

arr&bee
10-11-2014, 01:24 PM
I ain't trying to start anything[just an opinion]mary sang her cute butt off on that tune and in fine voice,now we know that by[65]diana was firmly entrenched as the lead now what if someone suggested to berry to give this song a push and someone else whispered not to?hmmmmm? We'll never know.

no_place_like_motown
10-11-2014, 02:06 PM
This is one of my favorite Mary-led Supremes tracks, along with her solo version of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You."

For sure, antceleb. Mary did a great job on CTMEOY as well. I always looked forward to hearing her do the song live - she truly made that song her own. I always said that it would have been nice if Mary & Flo each had at least one song on lead on every one of the group's LPs!

supremester
10-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Mary has such a pretty voice on songs like this. I'll never understand why she tried to be a pop or rock singer when she knew this was her forte from day 1. I can see why this track never came out, however because after the LP was shelved, there was no place to use it. On what - A'Go Go? I think it's preposterous to suggest this was squelched for any other reason that sequencing. LOTS of great tracks never got out - this one is no mystery to me. I'm so glad Miss Ross & Gil prevailed on Berry to give Mary her spots in the show. I recall Miss Ross singing Mary's praises in interviews and how she hoped Mary would get showcased even more with JMC. Somehow these little nuggets didn't make it into Mary's books. I wonder if it was suggested they be included and someone whispered something and then they got deleted. I mean, how would it look if Mary told people it was Diana that got her her solo spots in the show and sang her praises in interviews?

Mark Desjardines
10-11-2014, 04:38 PM
It is indeed good for Mary Wilson that "her day has come" in that she has found her own voice so to speak, and is making the future her's to explore her talents to the fullest.

I had thought of Diana Ross & Mary Wilson exploring the possibility of doing a one off DVD performance, called "Partners' where they could reinterpret the magical songs of their youth but from the perspective of age and experience. Reference Marianne Faithfull, "As Tears Go By," for example.

Nothing could ever top the energy and magic of the original Supremes' harmony, but it would be fascinating to see the women as a duo. But as that will never happen, I can only dream.

marv2
10-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Marianne Faithfull, "As Tears Go By,"... Mark now that is a good one! I am going to suggest that one to Mary. Thanks.

Marv

marv2
10-11-2014, 05:35 PM
I ain't trying to start anything[just an opinion]mary sang her cute butt off on that tune and in fine voice,now we know that by[65]diana was firmly entrenched as the lead now what if someone suggested to berry to give this song a push and someone else whispered not to?hmmmmm? We'll never know.

Well you know that's how it usually worked.

supremester
10-11-2014, 05:55 PM
I wonder who did the whispering after they both left Motown?

arr&bee
10-11-2014, 06:47 PM
It didn't matter by then did it?

supremester
10-11-2014, 10:49 PM
I don't know why not. Gladys & Tina had their biggest hits after leaving Motown. Through Mary's connections with HDH, Smokey, frank Wilson and others, all keenly aware of her abilities, I would think that once freed from the yoke of the whisperers they could have easily proved the point that some folks feel and is suggested here. I like Mary's soft voice and it is too bad that she couldn't be a pop or rock star, but she didn't have the chops to be a pop star, but she did have the chops to be a different kind of star. It's sad that it has to be blamed on others.

marv2
10-11-2014, 11:24 PM
I don't know why not. Gladys & Tina had their biggest hits after leaving Motown. Through Mary's connections with HDH, Smokey, frank Wilson and others, all keenly aware of her abilities, I would think that once freed from the yoke of the whisperers they could have easily proved the point that some folks feel and is suggested here. I like Mary's soft voice and it is too bad that she couldn't be a pop or rock star, but she didn't have the chops to be a pop star, but she did have the chops to be a different kind of star. It's sad that it has to be blamed on others.

I don't recall a Tina working for Motown and for the record, none of those writers or producers you mentioned ever worked with Diana Ross either again once she left Motown. Too bad since she hasn't seen anything that has resembled a hit in well over 30 years now. Some claim she still sounds the same as always.

supremester
10-12-2014, 05:53 AM
Well, as you wish, Sugar. But I don't know why you're trying to hijack this into a Diana Ross thread....however, know that: A) The analogy works because Tina left a label, a group and found mega success elsewhere because someone believed in her. Gladys did her stuff all by herself, but, those same successes at Buddah would have happened at Motown so it's no biggie. B) Miss Ross worked with OTHER producers after Motown - dozens and sold untold millions of records all over the world - she didn't need "those" producers - she had others. I believe all three would have worked with her if she requested them. C) Most importantly, [[if that's a correct usage of the word) Miss Ross owns her stuff - good or bad. She doesn't blame her failings on sabotage, favoritism, promotion or her Saturn Return....."it just didn't hit.....NEXT!" Lastly, it's true she hasn't hit the top ten pop here since '85, only R&B, Dance, Classical & jAZZ chart successes. In other countries, there has been much more success. In fact, 29 years after Up The Ladder, Miss Ross had a hit the same size - only in the UK with Not Over You Yet. That's not counting her #2 duet with Westlife in 2002.

what we should be doing is celebrating that both ladies are alive, well and thrilling audiences 44 years after The Farewell concerts - even plaing the same venues. Will you be at BergenPac? Good seats still available. Maybe Gloria Gaynor will show up again!

no_place_like_motown
10-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Supremester said:

what we should be doing is celebrating that both ladies are alive, well and thrilling audiences 44 years after The Farewell concerts

Exactly. I'm happy that both ladies are still with us, doing what they both love doing, and entertaining and giving 100% to their audiences. Both women, now in their 70's, are still quite amazing and I say thank you and God bless Diana, Mary & all the ladies who were members of the Supremes. Keep on keepin' on ladies...and a special thank you to the late, great Florence Ballard - I still miss you! :)

milven
10-12-2014, 12:10 PM
I don't recall a Tina working for Motown and for the record, none of those writers or producers you mentioned ever worked with Diana Ross either again once she left Motown. Too bad since she hasn't seen anything that has resembled a hit in well over 30 years now. Some claim she still sounds the same as always.

Aha ! Here is the first post that will return us to the type of posts that Ralph will no longer tolerate. I won't respond to it to its content, as that is what ignites the flame from the spark.

Back to Mary. She will be appearing in my state next month and I may check her out. She was here last year, but she was the opening act for Herman's Hermits in an oldies show and I did not enjoy her in that format, nor did I enjoy any other part of the show.

At Bergen Pac, she is appearing alone and I am hoping that she will do more of Mary Wilson and less of the Supremes - although I would like to here her version of My World Is Empty

supremester
10-12-2014, 02:01 PM
I bought my first Motown 45 - Baby Love 50 years ago. I was struck dumb the first time I heard it. I knew something huge was happening to me in my life at that moment. I think about that every fall when the days have a similar feel. Thank you for the call out to Flo. Most younger fans don't get her or Mary, but the little they see of Flo doesn't seem to come across as to how huge she was in the group. Like it or not, Ross' voice is a constant in every Supremes hit and was the focal point for a long time before they became TV staples. At that time, all 3became popular and some got "liked best." Flo had an amazing "liked best" quotient for a bg singer. I'd venture to say 50x that of Annette Beard, Sandra Tilley, Georgeanna Dobbins or even Mary Wilson. The manufactured hype about Flo through books and media to make money off her name has polarized and diffused her essence: Flo was not a victim or sad case - she would never have accepted herself on those terms and no one would have dared label her that had she lived. Most Flo fans never think of her as a lost solo star or anything else - we knew her limitations and it didn't matter - she was a star in the bg. A huge one and everyone knew it and nothing more was needed from her. Lately, I've come to re-appreciate Flo as I used to. People talk about reunions of DMC and I don't really care - Miss Ross carried that act, or now, a reunion of Diana & Mary - for what? I don't even associate them together. Flo was the glue of The Supremes: vocally, visually and spiritually. I 'm a mega Rosser, but that doesn't erase Flo's greatness. Glad you said that!

Supremester said:

what we should be doing is celebrating that both ladies are alive, well and thrilling audiences 44 years after The Farewell concerts

Exactly. I'm happy that both ladies are still with us, doing what they both love doing, and entertaining and giving 100% to their audiences. Both women, now in their 70's, are still quite amazing and I say thank you and God bless Diana, Mary & all the ladies who were members of the Supremes. Keep on keepin' on ladies...and a special thank you to the late, great Florence Ballard - I still miss you! :)

reese
10-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Back to Mary. She will be appearing in my state next month and I may check her out. She was here last year, but she was the opening act for Herman's Hermits in an oldies show and I did not enjoy her in that format, nor did I enjoy any other part of the show.

At Bergen Pac, she is appearing alone and I am hoping that she will do more of Mary Wilson and less of the Supremes - although I would like to here her version of My World Is Empty

I saw Mary last month. She was the entertainment for an awards dinner in my town. She put on a very good show. She mostly sang Supremes material, but she also did other songs like BAD CASE OF LOVING YOU and LAST DANCE. She also threw in WALK THE LINE and received a great response to I AM CHANGING.

I saw Diana twice in June and she was as great as ever. It is fortunate that both of them are still around, in good health, and putting on great shows.

milven
10-12-2014, 06:13 PM
That oldies show that I saw scared me off, but I think I will wind up going to see her. Its a fairly big venue and there are plenty of tickets available. I just hope she doesn't do an all Sixties Supremes show. Although, actually, I'd love it if she did some her the Seventies Supremes songs like Touch, I Keep It Hid , and You Are The Heart of Me. I know she's gotta please the masses, and not just me. Just wishful thinking. I saw all the configurations of the Supremes perform live and Mary was always the one that I watched. She seemed to be having the most fun.

supremester
10-12-2014, 06:52 PM
If this is a Mary only concert, I imagine she'll do a lot of her Up Close show - which is quite good. I cringe at her DR&TS songs, but her ballads are often impressive. There have been varying offers for discounts for this, so sniff around and enjoy. Let us know how you liked it.

smark21
10-12-2014, 07:16 PM
I bought my first Motown 45 - Baby Love 50 years ago. I was struck dumb the first time I heard it. I knew something huge was happening to me in my life at that moment. I think about that every fall when the days have a similar feel. Thank you for the call out to Flo. Most younger fans don't get her or Mary, but the little they see of Flo doesn't seem to come across as to how huge she was in the group. Like it or not, Ross' voice is a constant in every Supremes hit and was the focal point for a long time before they became TV staples. At that time, all 3became popular and some got "liked best." Flo had an amazing "liked best" quotient for a bg singer. I'd venture to say 50x that of Annette Beard, Sandra Tilley, Georgeanna Dobbins or even Mary Wilson. The manufactured hype about Flo through books and media to make money off her name has polarized and diffused her essence: Flo was not a victim or sad case - she would never have accepted herself on those terms and no one would have dared label her that had she lived. Most Flo fans never think of her as a lost solo star or anything else - we knew her limitations and it didn't matter - she was a star in the bg. A huge one and everyone knew it and nothing more was needed from her. Lately, I've come to re-appreciate Flo as I used to. People talk about reunions of DMC and I don't really care - Miss Ross carried that act, or now, a reunion of Diana & Mary - for what? I don't even associate them together. Flo was the glue of The Supremes: vocally, visually and spiritually. I 'm a mega Rosser, but that doesn't erase Flo's greatness. Glad you said that!

There's no such Motown figure as "Georgeanna Dobbins". There is a Georgia Dobbins and there is a Georgeanna Tillman. Dobbins was in the Marvelettes when they auditioned for Motown. She wrote Please Mr. Postman and was going to sing lead on the recording, but her parents, for a variety of reasons, wouldn't sign the contract with Motown, so she had to drop out of the group and was replaced by Wanda Young. Dobbins let them do the song and taught Gladys Horton the song. Tillman was in The Marvelettes from the start up to 64/65 when she had to drop out after being diagnosed with Lupus and Sickle Cell. She always sang background in the group. She worked as a secretary at Motown for awhile after leaving the group. She died in 1980.

bradsupremes
10-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Mary did two shows with the Columbus Jazz Orchestra last month and she proved she is an incredible jazz artist. She did perform several Supremes songs like "You Keep Me Hangin' On" and "I Hear A Symphony," but she also performed a wealth of songs from her UpClose show. To hear Mary perform "Body And Soul," "Here's To Life," and "I Am Changing" with a big band jazz orchestra was a real treat. The audiences LOVED her giving her two standing ovations.