PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes on the Guardian Homepage

test

thanxal
10-08-2014, 12:48 PM
An interesting choice of "10 of the best". I largely agree, except it should have been 11 and the eleventh should have been "Love is Like an Itching' in My Heart".
http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/oct/08/diana-ross-the-supremes-10-of-the-best

antceleb12
10-08-2014, 06:30 PM
Interesting!

I am very [[pleasantly) surprised by both the inclusion and ranking of "Buttered Popcorn." This author has done his homework. Very nice to see this underrated track top the lists for once. However, I am very surprised and slightly disappointed "You Can't Hurry Love" didn't make the cut. Out of all of their #1's, YCHL trumps all.

vgalindo
10-08-2014, 06:50 PM
I think Butter Popcorn is a silly song and I never really cared for it. Florence voice sounds really good but the song is horrible in my opinion. It really should not b number one on any list. If you want to go with a non Diana Ross lead at number 1. I would choose "Stone Love"

jobeterob
10-08-2014, 06:56 PM
I would have subbed Your Heart Belongs to Me for Buttered Popcorn; or Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart.

Buttered Popcorn was not a hit record for a reason which is mostly that it is just not a very good song ~ there's no hook and the lyric is pretty silly ~ whether you think it's about popcorn or oral sex.

Jimi LaLumia
10-08-2014, 07:03 PM
it's nice coverage but riddled with errors..
Ross was already singing lead on the LuPine Primettes records...
and My World is Empty did not precede Stop!, it came later...
I refuse to go on, but someone should have done their homework!

antceleb12
10-08-2014, 07:06 PM
I would have subbed Your Heart Belongs to Me for Buttered Popcorn; or Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart.

Buttered Popcorn was not a hit record for a reason which is mostly that it is just not a very good song ~ there's no hook and the lyric is pretty silly ~ whether you think it's about popcorn or oral sex.

I was just literally listening to "Your Heart..." on the LP when I read this. Eerie!

I actually find "Your Heart" to be weak and irritating. Diana's voice is still a diamond in the very rough at this point, and between the nauseating quasi-bossa feel and Diana's grating vocal, I think Florence and Mary's vocals are, at this point, more pleasing to the ear. I think "Buttered" is more appealing, at least hook-wise and beat-wise, than "Your Heart." I think "Buttered Popcorn" didn't go any further than it did was due to it being withdrawn and promotion ceasing prematurely.

marv2
10-08-2014, 07:26 PM
I think that is a good list. I enjoyed reading the comments about each song.

marv2
10-08-2014, 07:28 PM
I was just literally listening to "Your Heart..." on the LP when I read this. Eerie!

I actually find "Your Heart" to be weak and irritating. Diana's voice is still a diamond in the very rough at this point, and between the nauseating quasi-bossa feel and Diana's grating vocal, I think Florence and Mary's vocals are, at this point, more pleasing to the ear. I think "Buttered" is more appealing, at least hook-wise and beat-wise, than "Your Heart." I think "Buttered Popcorn" didn't go any further than it did was due to it being withdrawn and promotion ceasing prematurely.

The Velvelettes did a better job with "Your Heart Belongs to Me" than the Supremes. Cal's voice sounded so much better, soothing sounding that Diane's, which could get on the nerves when she got real whiney.

vgalindo
10-08-2014, 08:13 PM
I love "Your Hear Belongs to Me" by the Supremes. I guess everyone has their own tastes. I love Diana's voice on it. The song has that Mary Wells kind of feeling.

sansradio
10-08-2014, 09:12 PM
it's nice coverage but riddled with errors..
Ross was already singing lead on the LuPine Primettes records...
and My World is Empty did not precede Stop!, it came later...
I refuse to go on, but someone should have done their homework!

Amen. It's actually quite a well-thought-out piece, with trenchant observations about the writer's choices; with that being said, the errors are a little inexcusable, especially for a scribe that obviously has such respect for the group. Only two albums followed "Bad Weather"? I wonder which one the writer forgot about. Anyhow, always great to see the Sups get their due any way I can get it!

Jimi LaLumia
10-08-2014, 09:14 PM
not when it's so poorly researched and agenda oriented.. but hey, it's all history now anyway, nothing will change anything

antceleb12
10-08-2014, 09:55 PM
not when it's so poorly researched and agenda oriented.. but hey, it's all history now anyway, nothing will change anything

Agenda oriented? I'm wondering what agenda can come from a simple list of his top favorite Supremes singles. Sure there are errors, but to less enthusiastic fans, those details aren't going to matter. It's the songs that they will check out, above anything else.

marv2
10-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Agenda oriented? I'm wondering what agenda can come from a simple list of his top favorite Supremes singles. Sure there are errors, but to less enthusiastic fans, those details aren't going to matter. It's the songs that they will check out, above anything else.

Yeah what agenda? Sound like some secret spy, Cold War stuff to me.........LOL!

ejluther
10-09-2014, 07:21 AM
Small errors aside I loved the writing itself and really enjoyed reading it - thanks for the link!

sup_fan
10-09-2014, 04:51 PM
i think it was an interesting and fun list. while i have my own opinions on the songs, i'm thrilled that there's at least some continued interest in the Supremes. also appreciate that they didn't just re-post the same old top #1 hits. they included obscure songs, post-Diana material, etc.

great way to keep the legacy and music alive

thanxal
10-09-2014, 05:14 PM
i think it was an interesting and fun list. while i have my own opinions on the songs, i'm thrilled that there's at least some continued interest in the Supremes. also appreciate that they didn't just re-post the same old top #1 hits. they included obscure songs, post-Diana material, etc. great way to keep the legacy and music alive
That was exactly my thought when posting it. I was just so glad to see such a high profile placement some 50 years after their first #1 and happy to see some mention of the full range of their work. Mentioning Flo and some 70s hits does not diminish Diana's importance to the group nor does it elevate one incarnation of the Supremes over another.

smark21
10-10-2014, 02:15 PM
The list is in chronological order; that's why Buttered Popcorn came in #1. I wouldn't put that on my Supremes 10 greatest list myself, but I can't help but laugh at a few thin skinned Diana Ross fans for getting upset that Buttered Popcorn came in at #1 on a list arranged in chronological order.

smark21
10-10-2014, 02:16 PM
BTW, glad to see Bill, When are You Coming Back on that list. Good B-side with an anti war message from a homefront point of view.

franjoy56
10-10-2014, 11:58 PM
BTW, glad to see Bill, When are You Coming Back on that list. Good B-side with an anti war message from a homefront point of view.
This was a great list of supremes songs from several lineups of the trio, and it shows how all of their music was important to the legacy not just the 60s hits. For te record the supremes released three albums after bad weather not two.