PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross & The Supremes Live In Stockholm

test

Philles/Motown Gary
10-07-2014, 03:09 AM
I just found this newly-uploaded video of Diana Ross & The Supremes "Live In Berns Stockholm" on YouTube, uploaded by a was aexpress. This is the same show contained within Diana Ross & The Supremes' audio "Live At London's Talk Of The Town" LP/CD, just a different performance. For Diana Ross & The Supremes' fans, this is a truly welcome surprise. Diana, Mary & Cindy are right on! I hope you enjoy it. - Gary

PS: I'm wondering if this video footage is the same performance that was sold on DVD a few years ago but was unplayable in most American homes unless you had an all-regions DVD player? [[I can still remember how disappointed I was and how gypped I felt as an American, once again denied a viewing of our own musical heritage.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VReqtKEekpk

warehserat2911
10-07-2014, 05:11 AM
I just found this newly-uploaded video of Diana Ross & The Supremes "Live In Berns Stockholm" on YouTube, uploaded by a was aexpress. This is the same show contained within Diana Ross & The Supremes' audio "Live At London's Talk Of The Town" LP/CD, just a different performance. For Diana Ross & The Supremes' fans, this is a truly welcome surprise. Diana, Mary & Cindy are right on! I hope you enjoy it. - Gary

PS: I'm wondering if this video footage is the same performance that was sold on DVD a few years ago but was unplayable in most American homes unless you had an all-regions DVD player? [[I can still remember how disappointed I was and how gypped I felt as an American, once again denied a viewing of our own musical heritage.)

It is the same show. I'm wondering if you could try to download it from You Tube and put it on DVD.

westgrandboulevard
10-07-2014, 05:14 AM
It's just after 10am here in the UK. Good Morning, Gary....

I've just found my copy of 'The Supremes: Greatest Hits, Live in Amsterdam [[Live in Concertgebouw, 4-3-1968)', to check it. The cover shows Diana, Mary & Florence at the Copa. It's playing loud now in the sitting room, as I'm typing this. Is this the one you mean?

While I've only seen a few minutes of your clip, I would say no, it's not the same performance. On my DVD, Diana opens the show by walking through the audience, joining Mary & Cindy on stage. They change costume during the playback [[when re-entering for 'In And Out Of Love' and again coming on again for 'Reflections'), but open it wearing the gowns pictured on 'Live at London's Talk Of The Town', [[I couldn't attend the shows and didn't live in London at that time, so took a risk and sent them an autograph book, which they all signed, together with a photo, and returned it to me in the mail...:). I later saw them at the London Palladium.)

Both the picture quality and, in some ways, the audio on the video you have posted actually seems better than on my DVD, [[also filmed in black and white). On my disc, the ladies look a little 'wider' and fuller figured than in real life at the time, but maybe I can correct that by changing the setting. The mono sound quality is good, with both Mary & Cindy's voices ringing loud and clear at all times, with some long camera angles taken from the stage, which often show Diana and Mary in the same close-up shot. The ladies make more use of the stage in the Amsterdam show, which may perhaps be larger than in the performance at Stockholm -[[ or maybe it's just because I'm viewing it on 'wide' - ?! )To me, Diana seems just a little more relaxed, a little 'looser', in the Stockholm show.

You might check out YesAsia.com, which I've just noticed is selling what could be the same disc, although no cover is shown. It is certainly listed as US version - DVD Region 1, but it states 'does not have English audio or subtitles', so make of that whatever you will.

Alternatively, are you not able to convert your DVD player to Region-free? I believe I checked out some time ago and discovered a code, which I then used with my DVD player, changing it from Region 2 to Region free/Region 0. I then bought the 'PBS Motown The Early Years DVD' on the internet.. It's my understanding that it is a US Region 1 DVD. If that's so, it plays fine.

ejluther
10-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the link - the quality is great!

I'm wondering if you could try to download it from You Tube and put it on DVD.
You can get a plugin for your Firefox browser and download YouTube videos or you can use a site like "Savetube": www.savetube.com

[[http://www.savetube.com)

soulballad
10-07-2014, 12:57 PM
This was a good show. I am always amazed at how tambourines magically appear in Mary's and Cindy's hands around 17:42 in the Happening. Very clever editing.

Methuselah2
10-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Holy cow! What a glorious video Gary. Just sensational. Many, many thanks.

Jaap
10-07-2014, 05:45 PM
These are indeed two different versions of the same show, one taped in Stockholm for Danish television [[look at the shot of the light features in the beginning, they are the famous ones of the Berns in Stockholm); the other show released on DVD is the show in Amsterdam, taped by the Dutch television broadcaster AVRO. The DVD mistakenly says it was taped at the Concertgebouw... it was not... The Supremes performed at the RAI congress center, and that's where it's taped.

Roger Polhill
10-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Blu-Ray players will play all region DVDs or at least mine does.

Bokiluis
10-07-2014, 11:08 PM
I believe that tour was one of their biggest European tours so it isn't that surprising that it garner television specials in Amsterdam and Stockholm....especially in a pre-MTV era where MTV Europe would reach many more markets. That tour promoted the "I Hear a Symphony" through "Reflections" album and eventually culminated in "Live at London
Diana's "Here and Now Tour 1991-92" garnered specials in Japan, Australia and the U.K. [[ if you count the Royal Command Variety Show). I feel like I am missing one other market. Promoting "the Force Behind the Power".
At the beginning of the 90s, when it was clear that her international stardom trumped her U.S.stature, I had access to so much video footage that I bought an early all region VHS player.
But, as someone mentioned, a Region Free DVD player would solve a lot of your challenges. Even the #1 Music Video comp of "One Woman" was PAL only and laser disc in a few other territories. [[The quality of some videos are disappointing as they don't appear to come from the master tapes).

stephanie
10-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Love the different clips. Mary and Cindy can be heard very well and of course Diana shines here as well. I miss these days when women looked like ladies and not whores. The only songs in this show I could have done without is Michelle and Yesterday those songs just bore me.

The girls look great.

Roger Polhill
10-08-2014, 12:37 AM
The main difference between Swedish concert and the Amsterdam and London shows is the dropping of the "Sam Cooke Medley". Also "Queen Of The House" has been dropped for the London show.

StuartUK
01-01-2020, 01:35 PM

Hi was you ever able to get this concert and put it to dvd? If not email me with subject supremes and see what can do for you..

neil_dud@hotmail.com

Stuart

lakedistrictlad1
01-01-2020, 05:47 PM
Didn't the BBC film the Talk Of The Town show in London but has since wiped the tape? I seam to recall reading that somewhere.
This is such a great show. The Supremes at their peak for me.