PDA

View Full Version : Now that Motown 25 is on DVD

test

warehserat2911
10-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Now that Motown 25 has finally been released on DVD, hopefully TCB and GIT on Broadway are coming our way

Lulu
10-02-2014, 07:05 PM
We can only hope. I think they'd be a more niche market though so who knows if we'll see them anytime soon. They seem to be milking the MJ connection so maybe diana will see the light of day before the others?

warehserat2911
10-02-2014, 08:43 PM
That was a wonderful special. I have a bootleg of it

reese
10-02-2014, 08:46 PM
During one of the interviews in the M25 dvd set, Suzanne seemed to suggest that a release of MOTOWN RETURNS TO THE APOLLO might be a possibility.

I'd also like to see releases of the MOTOWN ON SHOWTIME episodes. I really enjoyed those shows when they aired, and was disappointed that the series wasn't finished.

Philles/Motown Gary
10-02-2014, 09:06 PM
During one of the interviews in the M25 dvd set, Suzanne seemed to suggest that a release of MOTOWN RETURNS TO THE APOLLO might be a possibility.

I'd also like to see releases of the MOTOWN ON SHOWTIME episodes. I really enjoyed those shows when they aired, and was disappointed that the series wasn't finished.

Yeah, Reese, I remember Motown On Showtime. It was a great series. I heard that they were planning on doing a Diana Ross & The Supremes episode, but something happened and it fizzled out. The series just seemed to stop abruptly without warning.

reese
10-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Yeah, Reese, I remember Motown On Showtime. It was a great series. I heard that they were planning on doing a Diana Ross & The Supremes episode, but something happened and it fizzled out. The series just seemed to stop abruptly without warning.

When the series was first announced, I remember a short blurb in ROLLING STONE saying that there were going to be episodes on the Tempts/Tops, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, and the girl groups. I was really disappointed that they never got around to the latter two.

I recall seeing the Tempts/Tops, Marvin Gaye, and MJ episodes on vhs back in the 80s. But it would be nice if they could be re-released, and maybe with expanded performances, like the recent SAM COOKE-LEGEND dvd.

sansradio
10-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Now that Motown 25 has finally been released on DVD, hopefully TCB and GIT on Broadway are coming our way

Let us pray! Also, what i'd really flip for would be NBC's An Evening With Diana Ross! I'd be over the moon.

Bokiluis
10-03-2014, 11:03 AM
I just hope it doesn't take some unforeseen tragedy [[heaven forbid) before any of this material surfaces.
From my understanding, the issue with most of the Motown specials is getting clearances from the various number of producers involved. They are looking for big advances and that just doesn't happen in the entertainment business anymore. Monies are usually gotten on the back end.
I keep thinking if any of a number of the various cable channels would re-air these specials, it would build interest.
it took PBS airings to raise the visibility of the Central Park concerts. Black History month is in February/Black Music Month in June, those are perfect platforms to ignite interest in these great specials again.

theboyfromxtown
10-03-2014, 12:13 PM
I just hope it doesn't take some unforeseen tragedy [[heaven forbid) before any of this material surfaces.

Mr Gordy has stated that he will never allow his personal archive film footage to be released to the public in his lifetime.

Bokiluis
10-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Mr Gordy has stated that he will never allow his personal archive film footage to be released to the public in his lifetime.

i have heard something like that before. I have a friend who crashed a party at the Gordy mansion and saw a VHS tape of "Farewell", the final Supremes concert. He didn't see the actual footage but the physical tape. It's probably a horrible thing to say but at 83 maybe access to his treasure trove will be sooner than later. Most hardcore Motown fans are baby boomers so the clock is ticking for us as well.

theboyfromxtown
10-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Most hardcore Motown fans are baby boomers so the clock is ticking for us as well.

You're telepathic! That's EXACTLY what I reminded myself of.

captainjames
10-03-2014, 07:47 PM
John you are right Mr. Gordy has said that but, I have always wondered who would inherit the films or videos ?

Jimi LaLumia
10-03-2014, 07:56 PM
as to TCB /GIT..drop a note to STARVISTA/TIMELIFE mentioning interest in these shows.. I did, and if the same requests keep getting made, it may leave an imprint, since MOTOWN 25 is, indeed, selling!

bradsupremes
10-03-2014, 10:54 PM
I can understand there may be some footage not suitable for release, but what's the point of having an incredible video archive that could be useful for documentaries or educational purposes but instead not doing a thing and letting it sit in a vault. Rehearsal, studio recording, concert footage, etc. would give a better insight into the workings of Motown. It's a shame there seems to be nothing done to make it useful.

Bokiluis
10-04-2014, 02:09 AM
as to TCB /GIT..drop a note to STARVISTA/TIMELIFE mentioning interest in these shows.. I did, and if the same requests keep getting made, it may leave an imprint, since MOTOWN 25 is, indeed, selling!

Good suggestion!

Bokiluis
10-04-2014, 02:16 AM
I can understand there may be some footage not suitable for release, but what's the point of having an incredible video archive that could be useful for documentaries or educational purposes but instead not doing a thing and letting it sit in a vault. Rehearsal, studio recording, concert footage, etc. would give a better insight into the workings of Motown. It's a shame there seems to be nothing done to make it useful.

i guess they view this archival material as valuable for their heirs. Usually a family member takes over who hopefully has an idea of how precious this footage is. However, if it takes another 30 years like "Diana's Central Park" DVD or"Motown 25", some of us will not be around. But it's evident that Motown is indeed "forever", so they're banking on fans discovering their artists and specials. And, it does seem like a great possibility. Doesn't help baby boomers much but generations behind us will be the beneficiaries.

theboyfromxtown
10-04-2014, 06:45 AM
John you are right Mr. Gordy has said that but, I have always wondered who would inherit the films or videos ?

Hopefully someone who would like the material to be released. There are people who have seen it...sworn to secrecy.

warehserat2911
10-04-2014, 07:34 AM
Hopefully someone who would like the material to be released. There are people who have seen it...sworn to secrecy.
It seems a shame that all this material is in a vault gathering dust when it could be making money!

theboyfromxtown
10-04-2014, 07:54 AM
It seems a shame that all this material is in a vault gathering dust when it could be making money!

I am no longer convinced sure that the sums of money to be earned are high enough to warrant the effort. So many of my fellow Motown enthusiasts from years ago are not around anymore. Shame.

phil
10-04-2014, 07:56 AM

You can get TCB from this link : http://www.ioffer.com/i/supremes-temptations-1968-tcb-tv-special-112986235

Of course it's DVD-R and non official, but I got plenty of rare DVD from that source, the most notable being the Soul Train episodes, thanks to Mr June who talked about them here, some years ago.