PDA

View Full Version : MOTOWN 25 [[Deluxe 6-Disc DVD Version) REVIEW - Disc 3

test

Philles/Motown Gary
09-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Disc 3 is titled "Reunion". Somehow, I had imagined the TV cameras running non-stop backstage, capturing the Motown artists meeting, greeting, and hugging each other for the first time in several years. What a thrill that would have been! Instead, Disc 3 contains yet another round-table discussion with Suzanne dePasse and the producers/directors of Motown 25. Now, don’t get me wrong. This segment has its moments, and at times it’s even quite funny and comical – even at 4:00 a.m. when I was still viewing it! But, there were a few behind-the-scenes stories that Suzanne and Don Mischer had already told and, at times, it felt like a repeat of Disc 2. If I hadn’t been expecting the back-stage patter among the Motown stars, I would have enjoyed this round-table discussion much more, as I do enjoy Suzanne dePasse and the inside-Motown stories that she has shared.

Another discussion takes place between Smokey, Duke [[Four Tops), and Otis [[Tempts). This, too, was interesting, yet I felt like I had already been there from Disc 2.

There are also separate, individual interviews from Smokey, Duke, and Otis. What I REALLY enjoyed the most was the interview with Claudette Robinson. She is just the sweetest, down-to-earth lady you can imagine. And, like Smokey, she doesn’t look a day over 50, especially given her long hair which was new to me. I don’t know how they do it! Her stories about the early days with The Miracles and the Motown Picnics were most enjoyable. I also enjoyed the Martha Reeves interview. Martha was especially interesting when she was talking about the various artists at Motown [[Smokey, The Temptations, and the first time she met Stevie Wonder). Strangely, come to think of it, Martha didn’t talk about The Vandellas, yet her interview was interesting as always, although I must admit she lost me when she was talking about her political/council work for the city. I guess I'm just more music-minded than civic-minded.

I’m half-way through the 6-disc deluxe Motown 25 DVD set. We’ll see what Disc 4 brings. As I mentioned before, I’m becoming a bit concerned that I haven’t seen any previously-unreleased Motown 25 footage that was promised. Suzanne said something in one of the interviews about certain segments of Motown 25 being longer than what was originally televised [[which could mean the songwriters' segment while sitting around the piano, or longer versions of any of the other segments which were already aired. It left me wondering -- Did I already see the previously-unreleased footage on Disc 1 without realizing it? When we were promised 30-minutes’ worth of previously unreleased footage, most of us assumed that to mean entire segments which were filmed but never-before-shown [[like Mary Wilson’s heart-felt tribute to Flo, Paul, and the other Motown alumni who had passed on prior to that time.) I’m wondering if we jumped to the wrong conclusion? A lot can happen between Disc 4 and Disc 6. We’ll see.

ejluther
09-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Did I already see the previously-unreleased footage on Disc 1 without realizing it?
Or, as others have speculated, is this "extended/unbroadcast" footage what was already released on the VHS tape way back when? I'm a bit concerned when you talk about it already starting to feel repetitive. I haven't gotten mine yet but may not open it when I do until I get more of a verdict from fine posters like you...

Philles/Motown Gary
09-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Or, as others have speculated, is this "extended/unbroadcast" footage what was already released on the VHS tape way back when? I'm a bit concerned when you talk about it already starting to feel repetitive. I haven't gotten mine yet but may not open it when I do until I get more of a verdict from fine posters like you...

Thank you, ejluther, I appreciate your confidence in me, but please don't let your decision rely totally upon my opinion because, what disappointed me may actually excite you. And, again, I was watching it in the middle of the night when I was already exhausted and perhaps a bit impatient. [[I found myself thinking, "Come on, I'm tired! Get to the good part already!", meaning, I would rather hear from the Motown artists themselves than quite so much from "the suits". But, then again, there were parts of the suits' segments that I really enjoyed, so, go figure. Confused? Me, too!)

It'll be interesting to read what the other Motown fans think once they've received and had a chance to watch their copy. Again, don't get me wrong, I don't regret for a moment that I bought the deluxe 6-disc version. Anything less may not contain the parts that I DO love. - Gary

reese
09-29-2014, 11:01 AM

The extended/unbroadcast footage is indeed what was already released on the original VHS release back in the 80s. And as I wrote earlier, the only differences I see are some different camera angles, some brief replacement of clips in the montages, and the omission of T.G. Sheppard's performance.

The extras that are unique to this dvd set are the various featurettes, interviews, and rehearsal footage of Marvin Gaye. But unless I've missed it, I haven't seen any unaired footage from the actual special besides the extended songwriters' segment. Granted, I still have a couple of dvds still to watch.

I find these extras to be interesting, but there are a lot of them. Most likely, I won't ever watch them all again. But it is nice to have them around when I feel the spirit strike.

marv2
09-29-2014, 04:01 PM

hehehehehehehehe..........!!!!

marv2
09-29-2014, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=reese;252262]The extended/unbroadcast footage is indeed what was already released on the original VHS release back in the 80s. QUOTE]

I knew that is what they were planning to do. I also knew that they/DePasse would try to package it as something all together new, unseen before! I'll say it again, I have the broadcast version on tape, as well as the commerically released VHS version with the "additional 20 minutes" that was released in 1985. I am not buying this package.

ejluther
09-29-2014, 06:15 PM
To be fair, I don't think we have gotten a definitive read on what all 6 discs include and what, if any, unreleased M25 footage is yet to be discovered on them.

marv2
09-29-2014, 06:25 PM
To be fair, I don't think we have gotten a definitive read on what all 6 discs include and what, if any, unreleased M25 footage is yet to be discovered on them.

Don't you think for $90 bucks you shouldn't have to "discover" them?

Bokiluis
09-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Beyond the content, some of us are hardcore Motown collectors [[some might say fanatics). I look forward to HD quality picture and sound. [[The Diana/Central Park DVD picture and sound resolution was far beyond my expectations, though I already had multiple copies and actually attended the event).
And at the end of the day, just like the Hitsville bldg replica with music many of us have multiple times over, I will place mine on my living room credenza and enjoy the design and esthetics.