PDA

View Full Version : Stubass..come home

test

arr&bee
09-27-2014, 05:37 PM
I was just over in the archives and my brother stubass was the funniest guy over there..[oh and he knows his music too]stu should have his own section in the sdf hall of fame,hey ralph where's stu,time for the prodical son to return.

ralpht
09-27-2014, 08:46 PM
He has recently posted on some thread Arr. Put the hootch away and read something once in a while. I agree with you though. Stu is one in a million.

Mary G Jive Five
09-27-2014, 10:08 PM
I'd love to see Stu back!!!! What fun that would be.:)

ralpht
09-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Mary, do you remember Stu's Angels?

Soul Sister
09-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Ralph, Stu's Angels was way before her/Mary's time. We did have some fun and funny times!!

R & B, you missing your hootch partner and gold mine digging friend, lol...................

:rolleyes:,
S.S.

ralpht
09-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Well then, Sis, it is time for Mary to meet Stu and become an angel.

Mary G Jive Five
09-28-2014, 11:54 AM
S.S. is right. Stu's angels were before my time, but I'm ready, willing and able to be one now. :cool:

Come back Stu!!

~~Mary~~

Soul Sister
09-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Looooooooooooooooool>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:d,
s.s.

Soul Sister
09-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Me thinks you're right, Ralph.

:)

S.S.

ralpht
09-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Hey Stu...Are you getting any of this? You have babes waiting in the wings to get their angel wings.

Mary G Jive Five
09-28-2014, 07:43 PM
What are the qualifications to be one of Stu's angels??? I might want to be one of his naughty devils instead.;)

westgrandboulevard
09-29-2014, 04:56 AM
Mary.....LOL

People speak of 'bands of angels' but angels need to get used to walking alone. They're very worthy, of course, but also not seen as a lot of fun in many people's eyes, right down here on this old Earth.

Same with devils. If you want to be someone else's devil, the qualifications are you first have to be one unto yourself.

Have fun [[as if you haven't already!):)

Mary G Jive Five
09-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Westgrandboulevard ....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha You know it.:cool:

Soul Sister
09-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Yes, Mr. Stubass was a rascal, looooool..............

:rolleyes:
S.S.

arr&bee
09-30-2014, 12:17 AM
Haaaaaaaaaaaa,ralph i know that stu posted,but it ain't the same as the golden ol days,that was more in the line of a guest apperance....put the hooch away?????

StuBass1
09-30-2014, 03:16 AM
Geez...Here I am after a long day and about to call it a night and decide to take a look at The Clubhouse. I usually browse through the front page and the Motown page to see anything interesting popping up...but sorta forgot the CH...Sorry. So I'm about to crash, a little buzzed [[not McLeanesque bussed), but buzzed...and now I see my name at the top of a thread...Ohhhh Shit#@%@. Anyways, thanks for remembering the good old Angel days. Jai...You're nuts...in only the best way. Thanks to Ralph, and all the Angels...[[once an Angel...ALWAYS and Angel)...and to all you lovely ladies...You're ALL Angels)...And I have NO idea how I could possibly explain all of this to my significant lady!!!

ralpht
09-30-2014, 06:08 AM
Whats to explain to the significant, Stu? Doesn't she realize from whence you came?

Soul Sister
09-30-2014, 10:36 AM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

This is your thing Stu, no need to tell! :cool:

Former Angel,
S.S.

Mary G Jive Five
09-30-2014, 02:12 PM
hahahahahahahaha
Stu, you can't leave us now. Just explain to your lady the angels will protect her interests. Now, the naughty ones, that's another story.;)

On a serious note, with elections coming up, I always enjoyed your take on matters of the day. I agreed with you most of the time. I'd love to see some balance back on the forum.

~~Mary~~

arr&bee
09-30-2014, 06:00 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,you ol legend you bout time you showed up...when did you get married?congrats.

ralpht
09-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Married!! I guess she really is significant. All the best, dude.

StuBass1
09-30-2014, 10:05 PM
woah...Still clinging to my independence...but a talented classically trained music teacher who also loves jazz, R&B, and pop...gotta be the one :cool:

arr&bee
10-01-2014, 12:39 AM
Hey stu,i still have my classically trained pet peeve,but it just sits in the basement and growls.

StuBass1
10-01-2014, 03:00 AM
Down Champion!!!...Soul Sis...Hope everything's going well for you sweetheart...Mary...How's it going :rolleyes:?...Yeah...I've come to the conclusion that I'll be long gone by the time some of this crazy shit that's going on now will come to a head, so it's just easier and less stressful for me to let the poor future generation have to deal with it. I'm still a Kennedy [[JFK) Democrat at heart...Unfortunately, there few if any Kennedy Democrats left in the Democratic Party :[[

Soul Sister
10-01-2014, 12:33 PM
I have good and bad moments Stu, I miss Jimmy all the time, life is empty without him.
Thanks for asking.
Keep us posted on your upcoming nuptials. :p

S.S.

Mary G Jive Five
10-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Well!!! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, Stu. I'm so happy for you.

Nothing wrong with being a Kennedy Democrat. The philosophy and policies make sense, unlike much of what passes for politics today.

Things are going well. Still stumping for Eugene Pitt & The Jive Five. I've learned a lot about the good and not so good people in the music industry. I worked in politics for years, and people say it's a dirty game, but it pales in comparison to the music business.

Good to see you back.:)

~~Mary~~

StuBass1
10-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Sis...You hang on in there...Great tributes to Jimmy...quite a legacy...Thanks Mary...Yeah...JFK had intelligent and responsible policy's...and the promising tone he set for the nation has really never been duplicated since...Then along comes LBJ...So well meaning...but started the decline of our country with his good intentions....but that's a discussion for the historians lol...

arr&bee
10-02-2014, 12:33 AM
As we well know there are factions in this country that don't want things to go right,the assasinations showed us that.

StuBass1
10-02-2014, 01:08 AM
Yeah Jai...That stuff too...

Doug-Morgan
10-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Hey Stu, how's it going?

A long time ago on another site, Stu had my back when I proposed that washtub bass player Fritz Richmond deserved a place on a list of the 50 greatest bass players. With his help Fritz [[who played with Jim Kweskin and John Sebastian's J-Band and has one of his tub basses in the Smithsonian) made the list over strong objection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Richmond

I still owe you a round of golf on the city course for that one.

douglasm

Soul Sister
10-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks Stu,
We are having a big memorial in New York on October 25th with a nice line-up of performers, then later another in L.A. perhaps at the Grammy Museum.
Jimmy will receive a "Lifetime Achievement Grammy" this coming year.
More to come........so these projects and more have been keeping me a little busy.
Distraction from missing him gets me through.

Take care,
S.S.

StuBass1
10-03-2014, 01:25 PM
That's terrific Jeanie and I hope the tributes keep coming. Having been involved with NARAS representing The Funk Brothers, I know how difficult the process can be for that outstanding honor. Look forward to Jimmys recognition here in L.A.

Soul Sister
10-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Stu, the board voted quickly and unanimously I am told.

I am waiting for more info. to come.

S.S.

arr&bee
10-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Congrats to jimmy and you sis,it's an honor long pass due.

arr&bee
10-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Hey stu,you still selling cars?

StuBass1
10-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Do you need one Jai???...Still managing my 10 "children" out here in SoCal representing the fine Honda brand...

soulster
10-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Sis...You hang on in there...Great tributes to Jimmy...quite a legacy...Thanks Mary...Yeah...JFK had intelligent and responsible policy's...and the promising tone he set for the nation has really never been duplicated since...Then along comes LBJ...So well meaning...but started the decline of our country with his good intentions....but that's a discussion for the historians lol...

The civil rights act started out decline? We had perhaps the best economic times under Clinton. Is that a decline? Obama didn't have the same quest for our nation as Kennedy? Sorry to interrupt the light-hearted nature of this thread, but I had to speak up.

Oh, and, BTW, since you all are in this clique, after all these years, I have no idea what StuBass' claim to fame is. Can someone fill me in?

StuBass1
10-05-2014, 12:22 PM
The civil rights act started out decline? We had perhaps the best economic times under Clinton. Is that a decline? Obama didn't have the same quest for our nation as Kennedy? Sorry to interrupt the light-hearted nature of this thread, but I had to speak up.

Oh, and, BTW, since you all are in this clique, after all these years, I have no idea what StuBass' claim to fame is. Can someone fill me in?

No claim to fame at all LOL...Not sure what you're referring to Soulster [[by the way...hope all is well with you)...The Civil Rights Act's were monumental, great and necessary pieces of legislation...Those laws were first enacted during the Kennedy Administration with bipartisan support, alkthough future Democratic Senate Majority leader Robert Byrd vehimently fiibustered against the Civil Rights legislation, as it was also strongly opposed by Tennessee Senator Albert Gore Sr.

soulster
10-05-2014, 02:25 PM
No claim to fame at all LOL...Not sure what you're referring to Soulster [[by the way...hope all is well with you)...The Civil Rights Act's were monumental, great and necessary pieces of legislation...Those laws were first enacted during the Kennedy Administration with bipartisan support, alkthough future Democratic Senate Majority leader Robert Byrd vehimently fiibustered against the Civil Rights legislation, as it was also strongly opposed by Tennessee Senator Albert Gore Sr.

It is interesting to note that, while a lot of things were enacted by the LBJ administration-not the Kennedy administration, even more were enacted by Nixon because LBJ was so wrapped up with Viet Nam.

I know all about the obstructionists and objectors. You can include Sen. Barry Goldwater to that dubious list.

arr&bee
10-06-2014, 12:29 AM
I don't think that strom thurman was holding hands and singing[we shall overcome either].

arr&bee
10-06-2014, 12:32 AM
Don't need one yet stu,just asking,you gotta open a dealership on the eastcoast.

StuBass1
10-06-2014, 01:42 AM
I don't think that strom thurman was holding hands and singing[we shall overcome either].

True Dat Jai...Strom Thurmond lol...Thats why things should always be put in perspective, and sometimes we become so embroiled in what we were indoctrinated with from an early age sometimes clouds our objectivity and historical analysis...I was raised that Dems were good and Repubs were bad and policy didn't really matter...thats just the way it was supposed to be...Interesting letter I found from Jacqu:eline Kennedy Onassis to then Republican Congressman Bill Mcculloch from Ohio in 1971 from aboard the yacht Christina upon learning of McCullochs planned retirement from Congress in 1971 which I'll pass along. Kennedy Onassis wrote..."I know that you more than anyone, were responsible for the civil rights legislation of the 1960's", she continued. "You made a personal committment to President Kennedy in October 1963, against all the interests in your district"...Concluding..."As for my dear Jack, it is a precious thought to me that in the last month of his life, when he had so many problems that seemed insoluble, he had the shining gift of your nobility, to give him the hope and faith he needed to carry on"...Good and bad everythere...no matter what our supposed "mentors" say...

Mary G Jive Five
10-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Here's an interesting link revealing who supported the Civil Rights Act of 1964. In both houses of Congress, more Republicans supported the bill than Democrats.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/may/25/michael-steele/steele-says-gop-fought-hard-civil-rights-bills-196/

Stu, I'm curious. Who were Stu's Angels? What were the qualifications? It was a little before my first time here at SDF, and I'm always interested in history.:)

~~Mary~~

ralpht
10-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Mary,
Angel's qualifications were generally females with a pulse. Somehow they would become enamored with Stu.

Mary G Jive Five
10-06-2014, 04:18 PM
hahahahahahahahaha Ralph. Well, who could blame them. :cool:

StuBass1
10-07-2014, 02:18 AM
BTW thanks Doug. Interesting learning more about Fritz Richmond from you, and while an unusual choice, it was well deserved based on his unique legacy. Don't think anyone was really enamored with me Ralph...but we had lots of [[innocent) fun with that stuff :)...

stephanie
10-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Hey I was a Stubass Angel and still am! I guess you know that a two/fer CD came out recently on your boy Ronnie Dyson. Good to see you again Stu.

StuBass1
10-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Hi Steph...Hope all is well with you...Yup...I saw that CD info. Ronnie was an awesome singer...

arr&bee
10-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Hey stu,i know you're pretty astute on politics so the question is,do you think that hillary will run because of the historical attachment or because she thinks that she can make a difference?

StuBass1
10-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Hey stu,i know you're pretty astute on politics so the question is,do you think that hillary will run because of the historical attachment or because she thinks that she can make a difference?
I think she'll run because her husband wants her out of the house lol.

arr&bee
10-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Very astute stu,you haven't changed a bit...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa that's why you're the legend that you are.

tmd
10-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Stubass 1 is the go to guy for James Jameson, always have enjoyed his post about the legendary bassist.

ralpht
10-10-2014, 11:09 AM
It takes one to know one, tmd. Stu is a rather accomplished bass player himself.

StuBass1
10-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Thanks tmd...There are several other people with great knowledge on James Jamerson as well...Of course Allan Slutsky literally wrote the book, and folks like Bob Lee, Phil Chen, Fran Festa, Anthony Jackson and others have kept the Jamerson flame alive. It has been rewarding to getto know the Jamerson family in recent years, as well as the families of many of The Funk Brothers...Some really terrific people... And Ralph...Thanks, but it's been awhile LOL.

Mary G Jive Five
10-10-2014, 04:11 PM
I think she'll run because her husband wants her out of the house lol.

hahahahahahahahahahaha Yes, and because she and he are all about the power. I can just imagine him as "First Husband". God help the Secret Service. They will be busy keeping his extra curricular activities under wraps. lol

~~Mary~~

arr&bee
10-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Haaaaaaaaaaaa,she may have to make him ambassador to antartica.

StuBass1
10-12-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm thinking that Bill may JOIN the Secret Service...They seem to be getting all the action...

arr&bee
10-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Yeah ol bill would charge up there like teddy r.

arr&bee
10-17-2014, 12:57 AM
Hey stu,have you sat in on any sessions lately?

StuBass1
10-17-2014, 03:33 AM
Hey Jai...not much of that, except my nephew has been playing guitar and has written and produced songs for Kanye West, Keisha Cole, and some other artists...Musically...over the past year or so I met a lot of people through the Hollywood Walk Of Fame. Did The Funk Brothers last year and had lots and lots of Motown people there, as well as an after party they threw for us at H.O.M.E in Beverly Hills, and Richard Streets Temptations [[Richard had shortly before passed away) performed along with Freda Payne, and believe it or not...Stevie [[who was one of our guest speakers) took the stage and sang several of his big Motown hits from back in the Detroit days...Couldn't get him off the stage to do some presentations LOL. Earlier this year...Ray Parker Jr got his Star, and we again had a terrific time with a lot of music people there, and his after party at the Hard Rock had some great L.A. musicians like Freddie Washington, Kevin Toney, etc playing, and George Benson and Cheryl Lynn, among others performed...She's very sweet and when she sang Got To Be Real, she hadn't lost a chop...So I'll probably take a break from music related projects for a while...The Funk Brothers event, despite being a great day, nearly sucked the life out of me in the weeks leading up to it LOL.

robb_k
10-18-2014, 12:09 AM
I was just over in the archives and my brother stubass was the funniest guy over there..[oh and he knows his music too]stu should have his own section in the sdf hall of fame,hey ralph where's stu,time for the prodical son to return.
Am I missing something here? Maybe I don't understand English anymore [[listening to too much Dutch and German)? I went to The SDF Archives looking for threads where Stu could have posted. I saw no place for posting comments. I never remembered a place there where one could post comments.

Can you please explain where Stu's posts are?

arr&bee
10-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Hi robb,what i meant was that while visiting the archives pages i read some of the classic stuff we used to post there and stu's input was classic,you were there in those days too.

StuBass1
10-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Hey Robb ol buddy...I wonder if the old threads from the single page topics from back in the old days are still available for viewing. Those were some of the best threads I can recall.

arr&bee
10-20-2014, 12:53 AM
Yes they are stu,that's what i was refering to.

robb_k
10-20-2014, 02:03 AM
Hey Robb ol buddy...I wonder if the old threads from the single page topics from back in the old days are still available for viewing. Those were some of the best threads I can recall.
Unfortunately. we lost a LOT of them to the changeover to the new platform [[almost ALL of the threads from 2001-2003). We also lost some from 2004 and 2005. Lots of those threads had great information from people who were in The Business in Detroit back in the '50s and '60s. Several of them. like Joe Hunter and Ron Murphy are gone now. We had great discographies of obscure Detroit labels including scans of all the record labels, as well as inside information about them by SDF posters who knew the owners or the people who ran the label. A large portion of my 12900 posts on this forum were record label scans. Now, MOST of them are gone. Many came from Carl Pelagrino -they are gone. and from Ron Murphy. They are gone [[and we can't get many of those back. The "Classic Threads" section has a FEW of them to remind us how great they were. But most of them are gone.

arr&bee
10-22-2014, 12:50 AM
Robb is right,alot of stuff is gone,but alot of good memories are still there too.