PDA

View Full Version : MOTOWN 25 [[Deluxe 6-disc-DVD Version) REVIEW - Disc 2

test

Philles/Motown Gary
09-27-2014, 04:36 PM
Motown 25 [[Disc 2) contains Marvin Gaye’s entire rehearsal for his segment of Motown 25 as well as long, individual interviews with Suzanne dePasse and Don Mischer [[Director/Producer), respectively.

At first, I was afraid that watching Marvin rehearse his entire segment three times in a row might become a bit boring, but, instead, each take was better and more soulful than the one before. You’ll notice that Marvin’s wearing the same white jacket and cream-colored pants during rehearsals that he ended up wearing during the actual show itself, due to his red jacket having arrived so late. Also, as I already mentioned in my review of Disc 1, it showed the moment of the elevator malfunction when Marvin was making his originally-planned stage entrance from an elevator beneath the stage. In Marvin's complete Rehearsal on Disc 2, you’ll get to see the entire elevator malfunction, including an unplanned descent below stage and then a wild ascent right back up again, this time shaking violently. Wisely, it was decided to scrap the entire elevator bit and make his entrance from backstage.

I’m not sure if it was because I was tired, or if it’s just hard to duplicate the excitement contained within Disc 1 which contained most of Motown 25 as well as interviews with Smokey, Duke, Otis, and Suzanne, and, especially, the behind-the-scenes activity of the making of Motown 25. The latter, for me, was especially exciting and hard to beat. After watching Suzanne’s long but interesting Disc 2 interview, I found myself falling asleep during Don Mischer’s interview. Nothing at all against him; it was probably simply because I was watching it in the middle of the night when I was tired.

I’m really looking forward to Disc 3 - "The Reunion". I’m hoping that this segment will show the Motown artists backstage, greeting each other for the first time in years. Only time will tell, and, when it does, I’ll let you know. - Gary

thommg
09-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Gary, thanks for the disc-by-disc. Mine hasn't arrived yet and it's nice to hear about all the extras and such.

Philles/Motown Gary
09-28-2014, 12:29 AM
You're welcome. It's approaching Midnight, and I'm about to watch Disc 3 -- "The Reunion". I've got high hopes for this segment. If it excites me, I'll write a review as soon as it's over. Otherwise, I'll wait until tomorrow to review it. Let's keep our fingers crossed that you hear from me in a couple of hours!

alexstassi
01-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Hi. I bought the deluxe set from Ebay as TimeLife wouldn't ship outside the U.S. but its been brought to my attention that it may be a bootleg :[[ Here's some snapshots of mine.....