PDA

View Full Version : THE SUPREMES Still Water [[LOVE)!

test

marv2
09-27-2014, 01:18 AM
I still believe that it was the Supremes backing up the Four Tops on their original version of this great song. Check this one out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9YZxW8U5UE

Philles/Motown Gary
09-27-2014, 04:06 AM
You just might be right, marv2. Either way, it sure is pretty. And Mary does a great job on lead vocal. I just wish that the girls had harmonized more over the ending instead of singing the same notes in unison. It would have been even more beautiful.

marv2
09-27-2014, 10:22 AM
The backing vocals are just too similar, sound just like Mary and Cindy on the Tops record.

marv2
09-27-2014, 10:35 AM
Here's the Tops' original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stneNAu5jZg

mowest
09-27-2014, 12:42 PM
I'd bet it's the Andantes. We know that their sound can sometimes closely resemble that of the Supremes; "The Composer" comes to mind.

marv2
09-27-2014, 01:00 PM
I'd bet it's the Andantes. We know that their sound can sometimes closely resemble that of the Supremes; "The Composer" comes to mind.

On the Wikipedia page for this record it states that the Andantes only do the shout "Water" in the record. I know Jean, Mary and Cindy were recording with the Four Tops a lot during this period. The Tops back the Supremes up on their "Love the One You're With" etc. I still believe it was the Supremes back there just based on what I hear.

Philles/Motown Gary
09-27-2014, 02:08 PM
On the Wikipedia page for this record it states that the Andantes only do the shout "Water" in the record. I know Jean, Mary and Cindy were recording with the Four Tops a lot during this period. The Tops back the Supremes up on their "Love the One You're With" etc. I still believe it was the Supremes back there just based on what I hear.

I tend to agree with you, Marv2. I know The Andantes' "blend" of harmonies like the back of my hand, and the back-up harmonies on the Four Tops' version just don't sound like The Andantes' blend to me. I may be wrong, Marv2, but, like you, I believe it's Mary and Cindy.

midnightman
09-27-2014, 09:17 PM
The Andantes were on the original recording of Still Water... only reason why I think so is because of their harmonies. Of course when they started singing, you start to wonder lol

marv2
09-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know if Frank Wilson also produced the Supremes version of the song?

Also, does anyone know if both versions were recorded in LA or Detroit?

mowest
09-27-2014, 10:30 PM
Does anyone know if Frank Wilson also produced the Supremes version of the song?

Also, does anyone know if both versions were recorded in LA or Detroit?

Bobby Taylor produced the Supremes version of "Still Water" according to the notes accompanying "This Is The Story." The track was recorded on 6/16/71; completed at Studio C 06/24/71. All other recording dates unknown.

Roger Polhill
09-27-2014, 10:31 PM
The female backing singers included Brenda Joyce Evans & Billie Rae Calvin from the Undisputed Truth according to "CMS 1070"

marv2
09-27-2014, 11:29 PM
Thank you both, Mowest and Roger. Still Mary and Cindy could be in the mix along with Brenda & Billie. They just sound very distinctive to me, always has on this particular song.

midnightman
09-28-2014, 03:20 AM
The female backing singers included Brenda Joyce Evans & Billie Rae Calvin from the Undisputed Truth according to "CMS 1070"

Ah no wonder. :)

motown01
09-28-2014, 07:34 PM
It's also been said that the background females on the Four Tops' version are members of The Undisputed Truth. They sound very similar, to me.

rod_rick
09-28-2014, 11:19 PM
It's also been said that the background females on the Four Tops' version are members of The Undisputed Truth. They sound very similar, to me.

I always thought it was Telma Hopkins with Joyce and Pam Vincent. I thought I read or heard sometime back Telma state that she and the Vincent sisters were the backing vocalist to the tops Still Water.