PDA

View Full Version : Another Motown Download

test

Philles/Motown Gary
09-22-2014, 04:51 AM
I just discovered a Motown download from Amazon which I had no idea existed. It's an instrumental disco release by William Goldstein & The Magic Disco Machine, available since February 2009. BTW, this collection contains Thelma Houston's "One Out Of Every Six" that someone on the Motown Forum was just asking about.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QRYWHI/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp?ie=UTF8&qid=1411374863&sr=8-7

- Gary

kenneth
09-22-2014, 09:21 AM
I discovered that was available a while back. It's definitely interesting though at the time I hadn't yet bought any downloaded product [[still have only bought the "Funny Girl" release since then).

Regarding William Goldstein, however, once I found a promo CD which seemed to be either a marketing tool or a retrospective of all his work. I think it was issued by a bank or some brokerage firm. It included both Motown and non-Motown selections, including some soundtrack music he had written. An odd find, but has some interesting music, and I was happy to find some of the Magic Disco Machine selections finally on CD.

sansradio
09-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Wow, neat! Also features "Razzle Dazzle" and Smokey's "An Old-Fashioned Man" [[lovely tune).

mysterysinger
09-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Can't seem to get this in the UK.

Philles/Motown Gary
09-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Can't seem to get this in the UK.

mysterysinger, did you try Qobuz? The way Calvin talked, they seem to have a great selection of high-quality downloads.

calvin
09-22-2014, 03:10 PM
mysterysinger, did you try Qobuz? The way Calvin talked, they seem to have a great selection of high-quality downloads.

I like Qobuz because they offer downloads in cd-quality audio [[16 bit, 44.1 kHz). Their selection of Motown titles isn't better than iTunes, Amazon UK, Google Play, etc - and unfortunately they don't have this William Goldstein download.

thommg
09-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Wow! It includes an instrumental of the Supremes unreleased [[now released) Bend A Little. I need to download this!

RossHolloway
09-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Can someone fill me in on who William Goldstein is/was?

Philles/Motown Gary
09-23-2014, 12:09 AM
Can someone fill me in on who William Goldstein is/was?

Ross, this is an interesting YouTube video in which William Goldstein discusses his career and his stint with Motown, for which Berry Gordy discovered his talents and brought him in to compose and produce disco music for Motown. William also did some tunes on Smokey Robinson and Thelma Houston, and, later on, Dionne Warwick. As you'll see and hear, he's a marvelous pianist and composer in his own right. The video pretty much speaks for itself. - Gary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr4JweMDxRg

kenneth
09-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Wow! It includes an instrumental of the Supremes unreleased [[now released) Bend A Little. I need to download this!

Here's the "Bend a Little" track. I always liked it. I was really surprised it was never released as by the Supremes when I heard the great Scherrie vocal on it. This was the type of song she really excelled on with her way of singing, in her best exuberant style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9uUozRZl-w

thommg
09-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Here's the "Bend a Little" track. I always liked it. I was really surprised it was never released as by the Supremes when I heard the great Scherrie vocal on it. This was the type of song she really excelled on with her way of singing, in her best exuberant style.

Agreed, Kenneth. The Supremes during the Scherrie years left some great tracks in the vault. They seem to have recorded much while trying to find the sound they wanted to move on with.

sansradio
09-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Kenneth, get outta my head!!! Just played "Bend a Little" today [Sups version]! Didn't notice this contained a version.;)

kenneth
09-24-2014, 12:03 AM
Kenneth, get outta my head!!! Just played "Bend a Little" today [Sups version]! Didn't notice this contained a version.;)

Hey, great minds think alike!