PDA

View Full Version : Esther Gordy Edwards & Maxine Powell: THE WOMEN OF MOTOWN

test

Methuselah2
09-18-2014, 04:00 AM
Interesting article and some lovely but familiar photos. Plus one that seemed very rare to me: Don't miss the shot of Maxine Powell and Brenda Holloway! Enjoy it. I think you will.

http://magazine.shnsf.com/index.php/shn/the-women-of-motown/

rrussi
09-18-2014, 07:13 AM
Thanks for sharing! The color photo on the porch of the Motown Museum with Diana Ross in center and Esther Edwards to her right, is Doris Holland on the left. She was a sweet, sweet lady who began working for Motown in 1962. Her husband did the maintenance. I do not know if they were actually related to Eddie and Brian Holland, however. They worked there for years before Mrs. Edwards actually started the museum, long after the company had packed up and headed to California.

gary
09-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Thanks for sharing! The color photo on the porch of the Motown Museum with Diana Ross in center and Esther Edwards to her right, is Doris Holland on the left. She was a sweet, sweet lady who began working for Motown in 1962. Her husband did the maintenance. I do not know if they were actually related to Eddie and Brian Holland, however. They worked there for years before Mrs. Edwards actually started the museum, long after the company had packed up and headed to California.

Doris Holland was a gem. Way back in the early 80s, long before Hitsville became a museum, I went down there one day and just knocked on the door to see if anyone was home. Mrs. Holland let me in and gave me a personal tour. She was so gracious and informative. I couldn't resist asking her if she was related to the Holland brothers, she smiled and said she was not related.

Methuselah2
09-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Rrussi & Gary - Thank you both so much for your recollections of Doris. I was wondering who that was in that photo. She sounds like a truly lovely person.

rrussi
09-18-2014, 10:58 AM
She was definitely a truly lovely person. As Gary stated, she was a "gem".

Philles/Motown Gary
09-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Thanks for a wonderful article, Methuselah2. And to gary and rrussi as well, you're absolutely right. The women of Motown were truly lovely people. To my knowledge, I never had the pleasure of meeting Doris Holland, but my personal experience was with Mrs. Berry Gordy, Sr., during my tour of Motown Records in the Donovan Building back in 1971. Talk about a real gem! She invited my friend and me to join her for cocktails in her office. She was a real sweetheart! It's amazing how the people at Motown were in and among such impressive positions of power, and yet so down to earth like you and me. That was Motown for ya!

marv2
09-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Mrs. Edwards was a family friend and I miss her.

Philles/Motown Gary
09-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Mrs. Edwards was a family friend and I miss her.

Marv2, how lucky you are to have known her personally. I haven't kept up on things since her passing. Whatever happened to the Motown Museum? Has it been sitting idle, or did someone else pick up where she left off to keep it running?

marv2
09-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Marv2, how lucky you are to have known her personally. I haven't kept up on things since her passing. Whatever happened to the Motown Museum? Has it been sitting idle, or did someone else pick up where she left off to keep it running?

I am sorry but I am no longer involved in the museum, so I don't know.

gary
09-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Philles/Motown Gary...The Motown Museum is very much alive and well. Still one of the top tourist destinations in the city.

Philles/Motown Gary
09-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Philles/Motown Gary...The Motown Museum is very much alive and well. Still one of the top tourist destinations in the city.

Hey, thanks, gary. That's good to know. I had a chance to go through Hitsville USA back in the day [[1971) but turned it down. I've been kicking myself in the butt ever since! One day soon, I'll write an article about my tour through Motown Records. It was the most memorable day of my entire life. [[Ralph, I really will get around to it soon, I promise!)