PDA

View Full Version : GIT On Broadway

test

longtimefan
09-09-2014, 09:51 PM
I know that one performance for this special was not included on TV or in the LP release: "It Ain't Necessarily So / Summertime."

However, I keep thinking that there was another track omitted? Hmmmmm??????

marybrewster
09-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Program:

1."G.I.T On Broadway"
2.Broadway Medley
3."The Rhythm of Life"
4."Malteds over Manhattan"

5.Medley:
1."It Ain't Necessarily So"
2."Summertime"

6."Fiddler on the Roof Medley"
7."The Student Mountie"
8."Leading Lady Medley"
9."Let the Sunshine In"
10."Funky Broadway"
11."G.I.T. On Broadway Reprise"

Soundtrack:

1."G.I.T On Broadway"
2.Broadway Medley
3."Malteds over Manhattan"
4."Leading Lady Medley"
5.Fiddler on the Roof Medley
6."The Student Mountie"
7."The Rhythm of Life"
8.Finale: "Let the Sunshine In"
9."Funky Broadway"
10."G.I.T. On Broadway" [[Reprise)

longtimefan
09-09-2014, 11:44 PM
So, first "The Rhythm of Life" is on the soundtrack.

That said, am I correct in that "It Ain't Necessarily So / Summertime" is the only part of the performance not on the soundtrack??

bradsupremes
09-09-2014, 11:47 PM
I believe there was more to the "It Ain't Necessarily So / Summertime" medley that was cut from the TV special. If you've seen pictures, you can see they were performing another song/songs before launching into the Porgy & Bess medley.

marv2
09-10-2014, 12:47 AM
I know that one performance for this special was not included on TV or in the LP release: "It Ain't Necessarily So / Summertime."

However, I keep thinking that there was another track omitted? Hmmmmm??????

"It Ain't Necessarily So / Summertime." was included in the broadcast television special. I've had it for years on tape and on DVD.

Reflections79
09-10-2014, 04:31 AM
"It Ain't Necessarily So" is part of a medley of songs, I think it's called "Let's Sing Those Broadway Songs". It includes "Mad About The Boy", "Remember" [[sung by Mary and backed by Cindy), "Little Girl Blue", "It Ain't Necessarily So" and "Summertime".

longtimefan
09-10-2014, 06:03 AM
So, I think I've got it....

1. The medley "It Ain't Necessarily So / Summertime" was on the TV show, but not the LP.

2. However, what we saw on the show was an abbreviated version of the medley that actually included "Mad About the Boy, " Remember," and "Little Girl Blue."

How odd that they left this off of the LP. Surely there was room. Another Motown mystery! :-)

marv2
09-10-2014, 11:34 AM
So, I think I've got it....

1. The medley "It Ain't Necessarily So / Summertime" was on the TV show, but not the LP.

That's true. I wonder when it was actually recorded because it sounds like Florence Ballard on the background to me.

marybrewster
09-10-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm pretty certain that "It Ain't Necessarily So" IS included on the LP. But as mentioned, as part of a medley.

reese
09-10-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm pretty certain that "It Ain't Necessarily So" IS included on the LP. But as mentioned, as part of a medley.

It isn't on the album, unfortunately. The closest we get is a picture of them performing it. I bought the album years ago, and did not find about the missing medley until J. Randy wrote about it in his book on Motown.

longtimefan
09-10-2014, 05:15 PM
It isn't on the album, unfortunately. The closest we get is a picture of them performing it. I bought the album years ago, and did not find about the missing medley until J. Randy wrote about it in his book on Motown.

Right! So back to my original question. Is this "medley" the only thing recorded for and/or performed on the show that we don't have?

By the way, looking at medley as performed on the show [[below), I do not see where or how "Mad About the Boy," Remember," and "Little Girl Blue" could have been attached to the performance. ... unless it was a separate medley. Oh well.... :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JZ3yw2wG0I

marv2
09-10-2014, 07:01 PM

It's not on the album.

reese
09-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Right! So back to my original question. Is this "medley" the only thing recorded for and/or performed on the show that we don't have?

By the way, looking at medley as performed on the show [[below), I do not see where or how "Mad About the Boy," Remember," and "Little Girl Blue" could have been attached to the performance. ... unless it was a separate medley. Oh well.... :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JZ3yw2wG0I

Above someone listed the other songs performed in this segment. If you look at the top of the clip, you see Diana walking up the side, while Mary and Cindy are in the middle. There also seems to be a quick edit right before they start singing IT AIN'T NECESSARILY SO. IT AIN'T NECESSARILY SO and SUMMERTIME were probably the last two songs in the medley. It makes sense that the Supremes would have performed a longer medley, as they are followed by the Tempts doing a long medley from FIDDLER ON THE ROOF.

There are also pictures on the internet from this segment where the group is wearing feathers around their neck. Maybe they started off the medley with the boas and took them off as they progressed.

longtimefan
09-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Good assessment, Reese. Thanks. Mystery solved.

The oddity is that the "It Ain't Necessarily So" / "Summertime" medley at less that 2 minutes was not included on the album. Well, that ship has sailed! LOL

reese
09-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Good assessment, Reese. Thanks. Mystery solved.

The oddity is that the "It Ain't Necessarily So" / "Summertime" medley at less that 2 minutes was not included on the album. Well, that ship has sailed! LOL

The TV special has a few weird edits as well. I had the album for years before I ever saw the show itself. I was surprised that they cut a brief section from STUDENT MOUNTIE, as well as Diana's solo section on FUNKY BROADWAY. Also, I noticed how Eddie Kendricks is missing from the MALTEDS OVER MANHATTAN sketch.

smark21
09-10-2014, 08:55 PM
The TV special has a few weird edits as well. I had the album for years before I ever saw the show itself. I was surprised that they cut a brief section from STUDENT MOUNTIE, as well as Diana's solo section on FUNKY BROADWAY. Also, I noticed how Eddie Kendricks is missing from the MALTEDS OVER MANHATTAN sketch.

Maybe he read the script for that sketch and had the wisdom to call in sick the day they shot it?

sup_fan
09-10-2014, 09:48 PM
other than the extended Broadway medley from the Sups, i'm not aware of anything else that was recorded but cut from the show/lp. unlike TCB where there's quite a bit of material that was either prepared or even recorded - When the Lovelight, Mas Que, Cindy's solo line in Mrs Robinson, the Funny Girl medley. other than Mas, i'm not sure if the Temps had any material that was prepared but cut

reese
09-10-2014, 10:22 PM
other than the extended Broadway medley from the Sups, i'm not aware of anything else that was recorded but cut from the show/lp. unlike TCB where there's quite a bit of material that was either prepared or even recorded - When the Lovelight, Mas Que, Cindy's solo line in Mrs Robinson, the Funny Girl medley. other than Mas, i'm not sure if the Temps had any material that was prepared but cut

In the book THE BOOK OF GOLDEN DISCS, the set list for TCB includes the Miriam Makeba song PATA PATA. But I don't recall if it was listed as being sung by the Supremes or Tempts or both.

sansradio
09-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Hello, all; brand new member, first post! "Pata Pata" is actually the countermelody that The Tempts are singing behind Diana's "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?". Hope this helps!

bradsupremes
09-11-2014, 02:26 PM
GIT should have followed the same format of TCB. Focus on the songs from the two albums they did together. Sung "I'll Try Something New" and "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" together. Performed more of their hits, other hit songs from the time and maybe a Broadway medley or two. That's how GIT should have been instead of the Broadway stuff that now comes off as corny and dated...especially those sketches [[eek)! It truly does pales in comparison to its predecessor. As much as I would like to see an official DVD released and a possible expanded edition of the soundtrack, I would take TCB over it anyday.

reese
09-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Hello, all; brand new member, first post! "Pata Pata" is actually the countermelody that The Tempts are singing behind Diana's "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?". Hope this helps!

It does. I didn't notice that until you mentioned it.

marv2
09-12-2014, 12:18 AM

Welcome to SDF Sansradio and that is right now that I think of it! "Pata, Pata" was a hit in 1967 and the Tempts are singing part of it during that number on "TCB" wasn't it? Anyway, welcome!

sansradio
09-12-2014, 01:11 AM
Welcome to SDF Sansradio and that is right now that I think of it! "Pata, Pata" was a hit in 1967 and the Tempts are singing part of it during that number on "TCB" wasn't it? Anyway, welcome!

Hi, Marv! Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, it was indeed "T.C.B." Kind of an early example of a mashup! LOL! Thanks again!

longtimefan
09-12-2014, 01:15 AM
Now that I think of it, it is interesting that "G.I.T. on Broadway" is the only Supremes album that has never been released on CD or digitally -- now that "Funny Girl" has been released.

sup_fan
09-12-2014, 08:36 AM
it's interesting how often Motown "bombed" with follow ups. not always of course. but i guess we have to remember that they weren't necessarily focusing on posterity back then. it really was about making money.

interesting follow up duds [[IMO)

Twistin Postman
I'm Living In Shame
GIT
Reach Out I'll Be There [[diana version)

dba
09-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Agree with Brad Supremes about the format. It should have been done in front of a live audience and the material should have reflected the duets the two groups did together with some of their more current material with a standard or two.
The reason TCB worked so well is that both groups knew how to work an audience and the live band.