PDA

View Full Version : Gladys Knight & the Pips Bring Down the House!!!

test

marv2
09-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Check this out! Back when concerts were concerts and artist like Gladys Knight 7 the Pips put their all into it. Here they were just incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UIAUboPes4

Philles/Motown Gary
09-07-2014, 08:54 PM
marv2 - The Pips were really gettin' down on "Imagination"! Their choreography was fantastic! That was the best thing about catching a Motown act Live. You knew you were gonna get your money's worth and then some. There was no standing around on stage performing in holey bluejeans with a guitar slung over their shoulder. They were always dressed to the nines in tuxes and gowns with great vocals and equally impressive choreography. Makes you wonder how they ever kept all of those lyrics AND steps straight!

Thanks for sharing this neat video.

marv2
09-07-2014, 09:38 PM
marv2 - The Pips were really gettin' down on "Imagination"! Their choreography was fantastic! That was the best thing about catching a Motown act Live. You knew you were gonna get your money's worth and then some. There was no standing around on stage performing in holey bluejeans with a guitar slung over their shoulder. They were always dressed to the nines in tuxes and gowns with great vocals and equally impressive choreography. Makes you wonder how they ever kept all of those lyrics AND steps straight!

Thanks for sharing this neat video.

People forget just how hard the members of a group work that are not singing the lead. All those different harmonies had specific, intricate steps that went along with them that they not only had to remember, but execute with as much precision as possible! You saw Gladys do a bit of the moves in this clip. Yes, Motown acts gave you your money's worth and then some. With that thought, it will always bother me that they did not always get their money's worth!!!

dvus7
09-13-2014, 02:02 PM
People forget just how hard the members of a group work that are not singing the lead. All those different harmonies had specific, intricate steps that went along with them that they not only had to remember, but execute with as much precision as possible! You saw Gladys do a bit of the moves in this clip. Yes, Motown acts gave you your money's worth and then some. With that thought, it will always bother me that they did not always get their money's worth!!!

They were all ready giving Great Shows before MOTOWN!!!!

marv2
09-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Now that's true. I really wished we had more video footage of Gladys & the Pips earlier years like say 1958-65.

Ryon6
09-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Marv, why would it bother you that they didn't get their money's worth? How do you know? How much are/were they worth? I thought they did great as an entertaining act. They reached a plateau that many other groups didn't. They were/are known world wide. People can pick out a GK&P's tune from "I Heard It" to "Friendship Train" to "Neither One Of Us" to "Midnight Train" even to "Save The Overtime". They collected plenty of certified gold records and received numerous awards. I just don't understand your point.

marv2
09-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Marv, why would it bother you that they didn't get their money's worth? How do you know? How much are/were they worth? I thought they did great as an entertaining act. They reached a plateau that many other groups didn't. They were/are known world wide. People can pick out a GK&P's tune from "I Heard It" to "Friendship Train" to "Neither One Of Us" to "Midnight Train" even to "Save The Overtime". They collected plenty of certified gold records and received numerous awards. I just don't understand your point.

It bothers me whenever anyone does not get the proper compensation for good, quality hardwork! They got the fame, but many artists, including the Pips did not always receive the fortune! There are legions of artists that ended up broke, without health insurance and in some cases not even enough for their funerals. Let's not bring this thread down. I am totally upbeat about the performance here.

Ryon6
09-13-2014, 09:40 PM
I was just asking. I just don't see your point regarding GK&P, that's all. To understand your point, I would think all black acts would fall into that category.

marv2
09-13-2014, 09:55 PM
I was just asking. I just don't see your point regarding GK&P, that's all. To understand your point, I would think all black acts would fall into that category.

I know some specifics about the lives of some of the members after the spotlights dimmed. I can't really go into here, but yes many black artists ended up with very little after giving so much.