PDA

View Full Version : Raynard Miner

test

bradsupremes
09-07-2014, 01:02 AM
I've been listening to a lot of the unreleased/album filler material lately and the Raynard Miner compositions/productions always grab my ear. I know he came to Motown in 1968, but how long was with the label before leaving? It seems he was only around for a year or so. Did it have anything to do with the fact Motown basically canned most of his songs or threw them on albums as fillers? I know the Four Tops' "The Key" got a B-side, but it seems as though Motown never put faith in his songs. It's a shame because some of my favorite Motown songs were written by him. Take a listen to Martha & the Vandellas "I Love The Man," the Four Tops' "You Can't Keep A Good Man Down" and "Clip My Wings." They're incredible.

Motown Eddie
09-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Yes; Raynard Miner was a fine songwriter & producer and he did have some great songs that ended up in the Motown Vaults. Martha Reeves & the Vandellas "We Will" & The Four Tops "Which Way Is The Sky" [[both unreleased) are other great examples of his style. I don't know how long he was with Motown before leaving there.

Philles/Motown Gary
09-07-2014, 04:01 PM
To bradsupremes: That's for sure. I've always especially loved Martha's "I Love The Man" and the Four Tops' "The Key"! - Gary

144man
09-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Raynard Miner wrote one of my favourite unreleased Supremes' tracks "In the Evening of Our Love".

marv2
09-09-2014, 01:34 PM
I like his production of the Four Tops "The Key". It was a little loud but still definitely had that Motown Sound to it.

theboyfromxtown
09-09-2014, 01:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9vp5fmfce0

honest man
09-14-2014, 05:19 AM
I've been listening to a lot of the unreleased/album filler material lately and the Raynard Miner compositions/productions always grab my ear. I know he came to Motown in 1968, but how long was with the label before leaving? It seems he was only around for a year or so. Did it have anything to do with the fact Motown basically canned most of his songs or threw them on albums as fillers? I know the Four Tops' "The Key" got a B-side, but it seems as though Motown never put faith in his songs. It's a shame because some of my favorite Motown songs were written by him. Take a listen to Martha & the Vandellas "I Love The Man," the Four Tops' "You Can't Keep A Good Man Down" and "Clip My Wings." They're incredible. Brad add to that incredible list THE TRUTH'S OUTSIDE MY DOOR-MARVELETTES.one of my top 20 Motown songs, great stuff. cheers.

Philles/Motown Gary
09-14-2014, 04:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9vp5fmfce0

Thanks for posting this interesting video, boyfromxtown. I'm surprised that the feature didn't mention Raynard's brief-yet-meaningful stint with Motown. The fact that he was friends with Stevie would have opened the door perfectly for at least an honorable mention. Still enjoyed it, though! Thanks again. - Gary