PDA

View Full Version : THE DELLS - "There Is"

test

roger
08-28-2014, 05:47 AM
I've just found this extraordinary performance of "There Is" by THE DELLS that looks like it was recorded in the late '60s ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRyWEZCU31c
I've no idea where it was filmed, but from the brief glimpse that we get of the presenter right at the end of the youtube video my guess would be Germany or one of the Scandinavian countries.
:)
Roger

roger
08-28-2014, 05:52 AM
I've always thought that BILLY OCEAN's big 1977 U.K. hit "Red Light Spells Danger" owes a bit to "There Is" .... see what you think ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l62scsz2yo4
Roger

thommg
08-28-2014, 01:56 PM
I've just found this extraordinary performance of "There Is" by THE DELLS that looks like it was recorded in the late '60s ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRyWEZCU31c
I've no idea where it was filmed, but from the brief glimpse that we get of the presenter right at the end of the youtube video my guess would be Germany or one of the Scandinavian countries.
Roger

Roger, my guess would be, possibly, France based on the title card at the beginning "Les Dells". Thanks for finding this. I loved this song when I was younger and played my 45 to death. Really. It was a scratchy mess!

tmd
08-30-2014, 12:23 AM
The only person who could have done it as good as Marvin would have been Levi, this was a Motown song from start to finish even had the great bongos that our guy Bongo Eddie was so good at.
What a tremendous song.

phil
08-30-2014, 04:08 AM
Roger, my guess would be, possibly, France based on the title card at the beginning "Les Dells".

You'e right thommg, in France les = the

heikki
09-03-2014, 05:25 AM
A great find, Roger!

Incidentally, Lucius McGill [[tenor) passed away on July 18 this year. He was a member for a short while in the very first line-up of the El Rays -> later the Dells, in 1952 and '53. He was 78, and the cause was congestive heart failure. He left in the summer of 1954, after Darling I Know/Christine was released on Checker.

Marvin Junior: "There were six of us, and that was too many. Lucius really wasn't enthused about the entertainment part. He wasn't really into it, like we were."

Michael McGill: "He joined the Marine Corps. Now [[in 1997) he has worked for the post office for maybe thirty-eight years, and he's semi-retired."
[[Soul Express: The Dells Story, part 1).

Best regards
Heikki

marv2
09-03-2014, 09:49 PM
A great find, Roger!

Incidentally, Lucius McGill [[tenor) passed away on July 18 this year. He was a member for a short while in the very first line-up of the El Rays -> later the Dells, in 1952 and '53. He was 78, and the cause was congestive heart failure. He left in the summer of 1954, after Darling I Know/Christine was released on Checker.

Marvin Junior: "There were six of us, and that was too many. Lucius really wasn't enthused about the entertainment part. He wasn't really into it, like we were."

Michael McGill: "He joined the Marine Corps. Now [[in 1997) he has worked for the post office for maybe thirty-eight years, and he's semi-retired."
[[Soul Express: The Dells Story, part 1).

Best regards
Heikki

Heikki, thank you as always for this information. Of course it was not carried in the "mainstream" media.

Marv