PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson solo material; 1969 [[Deke Richards?)

test

marybrewster
08-25-2014, 01:03 PM
A while back, there were two Mary Wilson solo [[lead) tracks from 1969 floating around; "Send Him to Me" and "If You Let me, Baby." My understanding is these were Deke Richards tracks. My question:

Are these Diana-era tracks, or Jean-era tracks? Are there any other Mary-lead tracks from this same time period? I wonder if these will ever see a "proper" release, such as on an expanded "Cream of the Crop" [[if Diana-era) or on a 70's Supremes "Lost and Found" [[if Jean-era.)

jim aka jtigre99
08-25-2014, 01:12 PM
I do wonder if there would ever be a Mary Wilson release that would include unreleased tracks,her leads and co-leads with the Supremes, her LP "Mary Wilson" and perhaps the masters from her 4 songs from her second LP that were "rejected" before Motown released her. I think it would be nice.

marybrewster
08-25-2014, 01:14 PM
That would make a nice little boxed set; a "Mary Wilson: Expanded" of sorts.

marybrewster
08-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Track Listing:

CD 1: The Group Years

Pretty Baby [[as the Primettes)
Our Day Will Come
The Ballad of Davy Crockett
Come and Get These Memories
Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
Send Him To Me
If You Let Me, Baby
I Keep It Hid
Touch
Early Morning Love
You Turn Me Around
You Are the Heart Of Me

CD 2: The Solo Years

Red Hot
I've Got What You Need
You Make Me Feel So Good
[[I Love A) Warm Summer Night
Pick Up the Pieces
You're the Light That Guides My Way
Midnight Dancer
Love Talk
Save Me
You Danced My Heart Around the Stars
Green River
*Bonus: Walk the Line

luke
08-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Group disc 2
Dont let my teardrops bother you/Til the Boat Sails Away
The Tears
We Should be Closer together
Hes My Man

Solo
One Night with You
U
Tears In Heaven
I Am Changing
My Love Life Is a Disaster
Hers To You[[recorded)?)
Darling Mother

4 discs!

blackguy69
08-25-2014, 02:45 PM
According to what I heard those were recorded kinda in the in between. Around late 69 and early 70. I also remember hearing that there were songs recorded by Diana, Jean, Mary, and Syreeta to see who had the best sound on certain songs

marv2
08-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Group disc 2
Dont let my teardrops bother you/Til the Boat Sails Away
The Tears
We Should be Closer together
Hes My Man

Solo
One Night with You
U
Tears In Heaven
I Am Changing
My Love Life Is a Disaster
Hers To You[[recorded)?)
Darling Mother

4 discs!

Oh there is so much more than that to choose from.........

longtimefan
08-25-2014, 03:35 PM
The mystery of why the Mary Wilson LP itself [[even with no extras) has never been released remains. There must be some legal reason. Certainly there is an audience for this.

bradsupremes
08-25-2014, 04:52 PM
A while back, there were two Mary Wilson solo [[lead) tracks from 1969 floating around; "Send Him to Me" and "If You Let me, Baby." My understanding is these were Deke Richards tracks. My question:

Are these Diana-era tracks, or Jean-era tracks? Are there any other Mary-lead tracks from this same time period? I wonder if these will ever see a "proper" release, such as on an expanded "Cream of the Crop" [[if Diana-era) or on a 70's Supremes "Lost and Found" [[if Jean-era.)

I always thought those tracks were recorded in late 1969-early 1970 which would have made them too late to be released in the Diana era. There is another unreleased Mary lead track produced by Deke. It's a cover of Jim Pepper's Native American peyote chant "Witchi-Tai-To." It was recorded in early 1969 which would have made it possibly to have been included on Let The Sunshine In or Cream Of The Crop. I believe Deke discussed recording the track here on the forum at one time. I'll see if I can find it.

bradsupremes
08-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Here is the original version of "Witchi Tai To" from 1968.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg9LT4qR_Dw

thommg
08-25-2014, 05:10 PM
Interesting that Deke would have produced a version of this for Mary as it says on the original 45 [[under the title) "Everything Is Everything". Shouldn't he have done it for Diana?
:)

bradsupremes
08-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Interesting that Deke would have produced a version of this for Mary as it says on the original 45 [[under the title) "Everything Is Everything". Shouldn't he have done it for Diana?
:)

Everything Is Everything is the group Jim Pepper was a part of who recorded the song first.

marybrewster
08-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Thanks Brad. I'm beginning to wonder of these Deke Richards tracks weren't recorded more around the "Let the Sun Shine In" LP, also 1969.

That LP is clearly a mixed bag of producers, Deke included. If I'm not mistaken, Deke wasn't present around the "Cream of the Crop" sessions [[as far as I can tell), and "Right On" would have been Frank Wilson.

Is it also possible the two Mary songs mentioned above could have been recorded around the same time frame as "Together"? Deke was present for those sessions, and it would also be right around when Mary recorded "Cant' Take My Eyes Off of You."

With that said, I wonder how many other Mary solos/leads there could be?

smark21
08-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Is it even accurate to say there were album recording sessions for Cream of the Crop and Let the Sunshine In? Both albums are such a hodge podge of material--a sides, b sides, filler and vaulted material. It seemed like Motown decided "time to put out another DRATS album; let's rummage through their recordings and put an album together".

marybrewster
08-26-2014, 10:42 PM
Is it even accurate to say there were album recording sessions for Cream of the Crop and Let the Sunshine In? Both albums are such a hodge podge of material--a sides, b sides, filler and vaulted material. It seemed like Motown decided "time to put out another DRATS album; let's rummage through their recordings and put an album together".

Though I'm sure it's not 100% accurate, if you look at Mary's itinerary in "Dreamgirl" for 1969, there are at least 30 recordings that are "unreleased". One of them is entitled "The Paper Said Rain", but I thought that was a working title for another release [[?), so who knows. It's fun to speculate that the vault is still rich in unearthed treasures.

mowest
08-26-2014, 10:51 PM
Though I'm sure it's not 100% accurate, if you look at Mary's itinerary in "Dreamgirl" for 1969, there are at least 30 recordings that are "unreleased". One of them is entitled "The Paper Said Rain", but I thought that was a working title for another release [[?), so who knows. It's fun to speculate that the vault is still rich in unearthed treasures.

"The Paper Said Rain" was a working title for what became "No Matter What Sign You Are."

bradsupremes
08-27-2014, 12:54 AM

There is a cut off and transition from Diana lead tracks to Jean lead tracks in 1969. I believe the last studio track Diana did with Mary and Cindy was "You're Gonna Hear From Me" which was completed in March 1969. The group was still recording into the spring/summer with the Temptations for the Together album. Diana was still putting leads on "Supremes" tracks into the summer of 1969. I believe "Loving You Is Better Than Ever" was completed in August. It's around that same time Jean is brought in to record tracks without Mary and Cindy. Not necessarily Supremes tracks, but I could see how Motown would have pulled a track or two to fill out an album. It will be interesting to see where those Deke Richards produced Mary tracks fall into this timeline. The same with the tracks listed in Mary's book. Clearly the tracks cut in late summer 1969 would have been intended for the group without Diana.

After "Someday We'll Be Together" was completed and on the rise on the charts, Johnny Bristol cut "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" as a follow-up. What's interesting is that it was first assigned to the Supremes before being reassigned to Diana. It may have been possible the plan was to have the Supremes' first single with Jean sound like their last single with Diana. It was probably then decided for Diana's first solo single sound like her last with the Supremes.

marybrewster
08-27-2014, 09:21 AM
After "Someday We'll Be Together" was completed and on the rise on the charts, Johnny Bristol cut "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" as a follow-up. What's interesting is that it was first assigned to the Supremes before being reassigned to Diana. It may have been possible the plan was to have the Supremes' first single with Jean sound like their last single with Diana. It was probably then decided for Diana's first solo single sound like her last with the Supremes.

What's interesting is that Mary says she was a part of the recording session for "These Things". If I'm not mistaken, this isn't the case. Wouldn't you say it's the same vocalists on "Someday"?

And you bring up a good point about "These Things." Perhaps Motown did indeed want a similar sound for Diana's debut; truth told, aren't most of her releases, at least though 1972, very heavy on Supremes-esque background vocals?

It makes it tough to determine, at least in regards to recording, when Diana actually left the Supremes, especially if she was supported by the Andantes, etc. from 1968 - 1972.

marybrewster
08-27-2014, 09:24 AM
I also forget when it was announced that Diana was leaving the Supremes; if she was still recording as a Supreme in the summer of 1969, is it possible there could have been enough material for another album AFTER "Cream of the Crop"?

reese
08-27-2014, 09:30 AM
I also forget when it was announced that Diana was leaving the Supremes; if she was still recording as a Supreme in the summer of 1969, is it possible there could have been enough material for another album AFTER "Cream of the Crop"?

I don't think the official announcement of Diana's departure was made until November 1969.

bradsupremes
08-27-2014, 10:18 AM
It's very possible Johnny Bristol used the same vocalists from "Someday We'll Be Together" on "These Things." Although there are an army of women who claim to have sung on the song. Merry Clayton remembers Johnny Bristol wanting her to sing the soprano part on "Someday," so it's possible he used the same West Coast vocalists as before. The recording dates for "These Things..."
Track cut November 5, 1969 - assigned to the Supremes.
Demo vocal cut November 8, 1969
Reassigned to Diana Ross.
Additional instrumental & background vocals cut January 5, 1970
Lead vocal: Unknown

We know around the summer of 1969 Diana was adding vocals to "Canadian Sunset," "Autumn Leaves," "The Look Of Love," etc. Not sure where they could have ever fit those tracks onto an album or if there was enough tracks after Cream Of The Crop. By the time it was released, I'm sure Diana was working on her solo material and any Supremes tracks were geared toward Jean. There are also the sessions Diana did with Bones Howe. I believe she was working with him before she started working with Ashford & Simpson.

marybrewster
08-27-2014, 11:42 AM
"The Paper Said Rain" was a working title for what became "No Matter What Sign You Are."

Thank you mowest.

marybrewster
08-27-2014, 11:45 AM
There are also the sessions Diana did with Bones Howe. I believe she was working with him before she started working with Ashford & Simpson.

Was Bones involved in Diana's recording of "Time and Love"? Wasn't that pre-Ashford and Simpson?

bradsupremes
08-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Was Bones involved in Diana's recording of "Time and Love"? Wasn't that pre-Ashford and Simpson?

Yep, that was a Bones Howe production. He produced four songs for her. "Time And Love," "The Interim," "Stoney End," and "Love's Lines, Angles And Rhymes." He also recorded "Ooo Baby Baby" and "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head," but Diana didn't put down her vocals.

marybrewster
08-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Yep, that was a Bones Howe production. He produced four songs for her. "Time And Love," "The Interim," "Stoney End," and "Love's Lines, Angles And Rhymes." He also recorded "Ooo Baby Baby" and "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head," but Diana didn't put down her vocals.

Funny that both "Time and Love" and "L L, A & R" were later recycled by Bones for the 5th Dimension's "L L, A & R" Lp from 1971, and "Time and Love" and "Stoney End" were produced by Richard Perry for Babs "Stoney End" LP, also from 1971. Diana would have been ahead of the game had she released these in 1970.

thommg
08-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Everything Is Everything is the group Jim Pepper was a part of who recorded the song first.

It was just a minor joke as Deke produced Diana's Everything Is Everything album.

Lulu
08-27-2014, 06:02 PM
The mystery of why the Mary Wilson LP itself [[even with no extras) has never been released remains. There must be some legal reason. Certainly there is an audience for this.

Nah. I could maybe see it surface in Japan like Partners did and eventually go digital. I don't think we'll ever see a domestic physical release. "Red Hot" barely hit the Top 100 R&B and went nowhere on the Pop Charts. Nothing she did before or after that release made any impact sales-wise. My two cents: if you'd like to see something released, contact Andy Skurow or George Solomon and maybe even dig deeper to see if you can find someone who was involved in the Japan reissues.

smark21
08-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Well there are albums that did nothing on the charts, but there's something artistically worthy that warrants a re-issue. But I don't think Mary's solo album qualifies for that, though I could see it getting a digital only release as Mary has a very devoted if not terribly large fan base and perhaps a digital only release could be economically feasible.

Lulu
08-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Well there are albums that did nothing on the charts, but there's something artistically worthy that warrants a re-issue. But I don't think Mary's solo album qualifies for that, though I could see it getting a digital only release as Mary has a very devoted if not terribly large fan base and perhaps a digital only release could be economically feasible.

Exactly. Digital would probably be the way to go as I suggested but would Mary's fans be satisfied? There's been a lot of bemoaning over the digital releases lately.

marybrewster
08-28-2014, 01:42 PM
I've always thought that Mary Wilson would make a good companion piece to the 70's sets, as well as Partners and Jean's I Had to Fall in Love.

marv2
08-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Here's some songs Mary recorded that selections could be made for a box set:

MARY WILSON’S DISCOGRAPHY / Only leads, partially or the whole song
[[By year of release and in alphabetical order.)

PRETTY BABY
[[Richard Morris-Robert West) Produced by Robert West
THE TEARS
Written and produced by William “Smokey” Robinson

AFTER ALL [[Lead: Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard, Diana Ross, Barbara Martin)

BABY DON’T GO
Written and produced by Berry Gordy, Jr.

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE NOW [[Lead: MW, FB, DR)
[[Floyd Tillman) Produced by Clarence Paul and Lawrence T. Horn
OUR DAY WILL COME
[[Mort Garson-Bob Hilliard) Produced by Marc Gordon, Hal Davis and Harvey Fuqua
SUNSET [[Lead: MW, DR)
[[Clarence Paul-Stevie Wonder) Produced by Clarence Paul and Lawrence T. Horn

COME AND GET THESE MEMORIES
[[Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland, Jr.) Produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier

THE BALLAD OF DAVY CROCKETT
[[Tom Blackburn-George Bruns) Produced by Frank Wilson
FALLING IN LOVE WITH LOVE [[Lead: MW, DR)
[[Richard Rodgers-Lorenz Hart) Produced by Gil Askey and Berry Gordy, Jr.

CAN’T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU [[Duet with Eddie Kendricks/Also solo version)
[[Bob Crewe-Bob Gaudio) Produced by Frank Wilson
THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM [[Lead: DR, MW, The Temptations)
[[Mitch Leigh-Joe Darion) Produced by Frank Wilson

BABY [[YOU’VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES) [[Lead: Jean Terrell, Levi Stubbs, MW. Cindy Birdsong?)
[[Murray Stein-Clyde Otis) Produced by Clay McMurray
BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER [[Lead: MW, JT, Cindy Birdsong)
[[Paul Simon) Produced by Frank Wilson

FLOY JOY [[Lead: MW, JT)
TOUCH [[Lead: MW, JT)
[[Frank Wilson-Pam Sawyer) Produced by Frank Wilson
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO [[TO STAY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF LOVE) [[Lead: JT, LS, MW)
[[Pam Sawyer-Leon Ware) Produced by Clay McMurray

AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE [[Lead: MW, JT)
A HEART LIKE MINE
[[William Robinson-Ronnie White) Produced by William “Smokey” Robinson
I KEEP IT HID
Written and produced by Jimmy Webb

SOFT DAYS [[Lead: JT, MW)
Written and produced by Stevie Wonder [[unreleased)

[[ALL I WANT - Lead: MW, CB, SP- is probably a TV performance)

CAN WE LOVE AGAIN
[[Pam Sawyer-Clifton Davis) Produced by Mark Davis
EARLY MORNING LOVE
[[Brian Holland-Harold Beatty-Edward Holland, Jr.) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
GIVE OUT BUT DON’T GIVE UP [[Alternate version)
[[Terry Woodford-Clayton Ivey-Barbara Wyrick) Produced by Terry Woodford & Clayton Ivey [[unreleased)
HE’S MY MAN [[Lead: MW, Scherrie Payne)
[[Greg Wright-Karin Patterson) Produced by Greg Wright
MR. BOOGIE
Writer and producer unknown [[unreleased)
THE SHA-LA BANDIT [[Alternate version) [[Lead: MW, CB, SP)
[[Terry Woodford-Clayton Ivey-Barbara Wyrick) Produced by Terry Woodford & Clayton Ivey [[unreleased)
THIS IS WHY I BELIEVE IN YOU [[Lead: MW, SP)
[[Michael B. Sutton-Pamela Sawyer) Produced by Frank Wilson
YOU TURN ME AROUND
[[Barry Mann-Cynthia Weil) Produced by Clayton Ivey and Terry Woodford
WHERE IS IT I BELONG
[[S. Brown III-R. Brown-E. Brown) Produced by Mark Davis

DON’T LET MY TEARDROPS BOTHER YOU
[[Richard Wylie-Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland, Jr.) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
HIGH ENERGY [[Spoken intro: MW, lead vocal: Susaye Greene)
[[Brian Holland-Harold Beatty-Edward Holland, Jr.) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
I DON’T WANT TO LOSE YOU
[[Thom Bell-Linda Creed) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
SWEET DREAM MACHINE [[Lead: MW, SP and SG)
TILL THE BOAT SAILS AWAY
[[Barry Payne-Brian Holland-Harold Beatty-Edward Holland, Jr.) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
WE SHOULD BE CLOSER TOGETHER [[Lead: MW, SG)
[[Janie Bradford-Freddie Gorman-Bob Gaines-Brian Holland) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
YOU ARE THE HEART OF ME
[[Michael L. Smith-Edward Holland, Jr.) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
YOU'RE MY DRIVING WHEEL [[Lead: SP, MW, SG)
[[Brian Holland-Floyd Stafford-Reginald Brown-Harold Beatty) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
YOU’RE WHAT’S MISSING IN MY LIFE [[Lead: MW, SP)

[[I LOVE A) WARM SUMMER NIGHT
[[John Duarte-Frank Busey) Produced by Hal Davis
I’VE GOT WHAT YOU NEED
MIDNIGHT DANCER
PICK UP THE PIECES
[[John Duarte-Frank Busey) Produced by Hal Davis and Bobby Belle
RED HOT
YOU MAKE ME FEEL SO GOOD
YOU’RE THE LIGHT THAT GUIDES MY WAY

1980 [[Year of recording, all unreleased)
GREEN RIVER
[[John C. Fogerty) Produced by Gus Dudgeon
LOVE TALK
[[Kenny Hirsch-Steven Kalinich??) Produced by Gus Dudgeon
SAVE ME
YOU DANCE MY HEART AROUND THE STARS
[[Kenny Hirsch-Steven Kalinich) Produced by Gus Dudgeon

198? [[All unreleased)
CAN WE TALK ABOUT IT / Writer and producer unknown
HERE’S MY LOVE / Writer and producer unknown
LOVE NEVER SAYS GOODBYE / Writer and producer unknown
PASS IT ALONG / Writer and producer unknown
PUSH HAS COME TO SHOVE / Writer and producer unknown
SHOW ME / Writer and producer unknown
SLEEPING IN SEPARATE ROOMS [[Charles Watson) Producer unknown
STRONGER IN THE BROKEN PART / Writer and producer unknown

COME SEE ABOUT ME [[Lead: Neil Sedaka)
[[Holland-Dozier-Holland) Produced by Dan Hartman

HEARTBREAK OF LOVE [[Year of recording, unreleased) [[Lead: Dionne Warwick, MW)
[[Burt Bacharach-Carole Bayer Sager-Diane Warren) Produced by Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager
MY LOVE LIFE IS A DISASTER [[Year of recording, unreleased)
[[Biddu-Les Reed) Produced by Peter Stringfellow
THIS GIRL’S BACK IN TOWN [[Lead: Donna Summer, Mary Wilson, Diva Gray, Beverly D’Angelo, Pattie Brooks, Maggie Swan, Myno Jackson & Millie Whiteside)
[[Paul Jabara-Bob Esty) Produced By Paul Jabara

DON’T GET MAD, GET EVEN
[[Ian Levine-Fiachra Trent) Produced by Ian Levine

OOH CHILD
[[Stan Vincent) Produced by Ian Levine

ALL OVER NOW
[[Randy Waldman-Suzie Carr) Produced by Raul “EFX” Recinos and Randy Waldman
BODYGUARD
[[Geoff Hurley) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
I’M CHANGING
[[Helen Cornelius) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
LOVE CHILD [[Unreleased)
[[Pam Sawyer-Frank Wilson-Deke Richards-R. Dean Taylor) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
ONE NIGHT WITH YOU
[[Antonio Armato-Rick Neigher) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
SHELTER ME
[[Jack White-Mark Spiro) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
THE STARE
[[Ted Jacobs-Dyna Brein-Anthony Smith) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
UNDER ANY MOON
[[Diane Warren) Produced by Randy Waldman and James H. Cooper
WALK THE LINE
[[Tena Clark-Dee Harvey) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
YOU KEEP ME HANGIN’ ON
[[Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland, Jr.) Produced by Raúl Recinos

A LITTLE BIT OF LOVE [[Duet with Clas Yngström)
[[Paul Rodgers-Andy Fraser-Paul Kossoff-Simon Kirke) Produced by Pete “The Poet” Brown & Ben Elliott
SHIPS IN THE NIGHT [[Duet with Clas Yngström)
[[Bruce-Brown) Produced by Pete “The Poet” Brown & Ben Elliott
U
[[E. Robinson-M. Skeete-W. Bush) Produced by Marksexx & Groove E.

TURN AROUND
[[Stacey Piersa-Elliot Wolf) Produced by T. & T. for Raymar Productions

COME TO ME, MOTHER
[[Jill Gallina) Produced By Craig Gregory, Timothy Seelig and J. Tamblyn Henderson Jr.
SOMEDAY WE’LL BE TOGETHER [[Live)
[[Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua-Jackie Beavers) Producer unknown

MOVIN’ ON
Writer and producer unknown.

Keep in mind that there are other recordings done in foreign markets [[i.e. Brazil, etc, etc.) that are not included on this list that needs to be updated.....

kenneth
08-28-2014, 02:59 PM
Marv, nice job...!

I always thought "Mary Wilson" and "Partners" would make a great double disc set with lots of unreleased tracks, hopefully. Guess it's unlikely we'd ever see it, but it sure would be a great set.

Lulu
08-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Mary and Mark could probably team up with Marginal and crank something together. The sound quality and the art probably wouldn't be pretty but at least it would satisfy some wet appetites.

kenneth
08-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Mary and Mark could probably team up with Marginal and crank something together. The sound quality and the art probably wouldn't be pretty but at least it would satisfy some wet appetites.

Are they the driving forces behind Marginal? I haven't bought any of their stuff for a while but 10 years ago they satisfied my wet appetite for Eddie Holland whose material was unavailable anywhere else. They also produced those early "Rare Detroit Tracks," I think, which was the first time I heard Hattie Littles, the Satintones, and lots of other early Motown artists whose singles you couldn't find anywhere until Hip-O came along.

rod_rick
08-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Here's some songs Mary recorded that selections could be made for a box set:

MARY WILSON’S DISCOGRAPHY / Only leads, partially or the whole song
[[By year of release and in alphabetical order.)

PRETTY BABY
[[Richard Morris-Robert West) Produced by Robert West
THE TEARS

AFTER ALL [[Lead: Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard, Diana Ross, Barbara Martin)

BABY DON’T GO
Written and produced by Berry Gordy, Jr.

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE NOW [[Lead: MW, FB, DR)
[[Floyd Tillman) Produced by Clarence Paul and Lawrence T. Horn
OUR DAY WILL COME
[[Mort Garson-Bob Hilliard) Produced by Marc Gordon, Hal Davis and Harvey Fuqua
SUNSET [[Lead: MW, DR)
[[Clarence Paul-Stevie Wonder) Produced by Clarence Paul and Lawrence T. Horn

COME AND GET THESE MEMORIES
[[Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland, Jr.) Produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier

THE BALLAD OF DAVY CROCKETT
[[Tom Blackburn-George Bruns) Produced by Frank Wilson
FALLING IN LOVE WITH LOVE [[Lead: MW, DR)
[[Richard Rodgers-Lorenz Hart) Produced by Gil Askey and Berry Gordy, Jr.

CAN’T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU [[Duet with Eddie Kendricks/Also solo version)
[[Bob Crewe-Bob Gaudio) Produced by Frank Wilson
THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM [[Lead: DR, MW, The Temptations)
[[Mitch Leigh-Joe Darion) Produced by Frank Wilson

BABY [[YOU’VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES) [[Lead: Jean Terrell, Levi Stubbs, MW. Cindy Birdsong?)
[[Murray Stein-Clyde Otis) Produced by Clay McMurray
BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER [[Lead: MW, JT, Cindy Birdsong)
[[Paul Simon) Produced by Frank Wilson

FLOY JOY [[Lead: MW, JT)
TOUCH [[Lead: MW, JT)
[[Frank Wilson-Pam Sawyer) Produced by Frank Wilson
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO [[TO STAY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF LOVE) [[Lead: JT, LS, MW)
[[Pam Sawyer-Leon Ware) Produced by Clay McMurray

AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE [[Lead: MW, JT)
A HEART LIKE MINE
[[William Robinson-Ronnie White) Produced by William “Smokey” Robinson
I KEEP IT HID
Written and produced by Jimmy Webb

SOFT DAYS [[Lead: JT, MW)
Written and produced by Stevie Wonder [[unreleased)

[[ALL I WANT - Lead: MW, CB, SP- is probably a TV performance)

CAN WE LOVE AGAIN
[[Pam Sawyer-Clifton Davis) Produced by Mark Davis
EARLY MORNING LOVE
GIVE OUT BUT DON’T GIVE UP [[Alternate version)
HE’S MY MAN [[Lead: MW, Scherrie Payne)
[[Greg Wright-Karin Patterson) Produced by Greg Wright
MR. BOOGIE
Writer and producer unknown [[unreleased)
THE SHA-LA BANDIT [[Alternate version) [[Lead: MW, CB, SP)
THIS IS WHY I BELIEVE IN YOU [[Lead: MW, SP)
[[Michael B. Sutton-Pamela Sawyer) Produced by Frank Wilson
YOU TURN ME AROUND
[[Barry Mann-Cynthia Weil) Produced by Clayton Ivey and Terry Woodford
WHERE IS IT I BELONG
[[S. Brown III-R. Brown-E. Brown) Produced by Mark Davis

DON’T LET MY TEARDROPS BOTHER YOU
[[Richard Wylie-Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland, Jr.) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
HIGH ENERGY [[Spoken intro: MW, lead vocal: Susaye Greene)
I DON’T WANT TO LOSE YOU
[[Thom Bell-Linda Creed) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
SWEET DREAM MACHINE [[Lead: MW, SP and SG)
TILL THE BOAT SAILS AWAY
[[Barry Payne-Brian Holland-Harold Beatty-Edward Holland, Jr.) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
WE SHOULD BE CLOSER TOGETHER [[Lead: MW, SG)
[[Janie Bradford-Freddie Gorman-Bob Gaines-Brian Holland) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
YOU ARE THE HEART OF ME
[[Michael L. Smith-Edward Holland, Jr.) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
YOU'RE MY DRIVING WHEEL [[Lead: SP, MW, SG)
[[Brian Holland-Floyd Stafford-Reginald Brown-Harold Beatty) Produced by Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr.
YOU’RE WHAT’S MISSING IN MY LIFE [[Lead: MW, SP)

[[I LOVE A) WARM SUMMER NIGHT
I’VE GOT WHAT YOU NEED
MIDNIGHT DANCER
PICK UP THE PIECES
[[John Duarte-Frank Busey) Produced by Hal Davis and Bobby Belle
RED HOT
YOU MAKE ME FEEL SO GOOD
YOU’RE THE LIGHT THAT GUIDES MY WAY

1980 [[Year of recording, all unreleased)
GREEN RIVER
[[John C. Fogerty) Produced by Gus Dudgeon
LOVE TALK
SAVE ME
YOU DANCE MY HEART AROUND THE STARS
[[Kenny Hirsch-Steven Kalinich) Produced by Gus Dudgeon

198? [[All unreleased)
CAN WE TALK ABOUT IT / Writer and producer unknown
HERE’S MY LOVE / Writer and producer unknown
LOVE NEVER SAYS GOODBYE / Writer and producer unknown
PASS IT ALONG / Writer and producer unknown
PUSH HAS COME TO SHOVE / Writer and producer unknown
SHOW ME / Writer and producer unknown
SLEEPING IN SEPARATE ROOMS [[Charles Watson) Producer unknown
STRONGER IN THE BROKEN PART / Writer and producer unknown

COME SEE ABOUT ME [[Lead: Neil Sedaka)
[[Holland-Dozier-Holland) Produced by Dan Hartman

HEARTBREAK OF LOVE [[Year of recording, unreleased) [[Lead: Dionne Warwick, MW)
[[Burt Bacharach-Carole Bayer Sager-Diane Warren) Produced by Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager
MY LOVE LIFE IS A DISASTER [[Year of recording, unreleased)
[[Biddu-Les Reed) Produced by Peter Stringfellow
THIS GIRL’S BACK IN TOWN [[Lead: Donna Summer, Mary Wilson, Diva Gray, Beverly D’Angelo, Pattie Brooks, Maggie Swan, Myno Jackson & Millie Whiteside)
[[Paul Jabara-Bob Esty) Produced By Paul Jabara

DON’T GET MAD, GET EVEN
[[Ian Levine-Fiachra Trent) Produced by Ian Levine

OOH CHILD
[[Stan Vincent) Produced by Ian Levine

ALL OVER NOW
[[Randy Waldman-Suzie Carr) Produced by Raul “EFX” Recinos and Randy Waldman
BODYGUARD
[[Geoff Hurley) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
I’M CHANGING
[[Helen Cornelius) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
LOVE CHILD [[Unreleased)
[[Pam Sawyer-Frank Wilson-Deke Richards-R. Dean Taylor) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
ONE NIGHT WITH YOU
[[Antonio Armato-Rick Neigher) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
SHELTER ME
[[Jack White-Mark Spiro) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
THE STARE
[[Ted Jacobs-Dyna Brein-Anthony Smith) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
UNDER ANY MOON
[[Diane Warren) Produced by Randy Waldman and James H. Cooper
WALK THE LINE
[[Tena Clark-Dee Harvey) Executive producer: James H. Cooper
YOU KEEP ME HANGIN’ ON
[[Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland, Jr.) Produced by Raúl Recinos

A LITTLE BIT OF LOVE [[Duet with Clas Yngström)
[[Paul Rodgers-Andy Fraser-Paul Kossoff-Simon Kirke) Produced by Pete “The Poet” Brown & Ben Elliott
SHIPS IN THE NIGHT [[Duet with Clas Yngström)
[[Bruce-Brown) Produced by Pete “The Poet” Brown & Ben Elliott
U
[[E. Robinson-M. Skeete-W. Bush) Produced by Marksexx & Groove E.

TURN AROUND
[[Stacey Piersa-Elliot Wolf) Produced by T. & T. for Raymar Productions

COME TO ME, MOTHER
[[Jill Gallina) Produced By Craig Gregory, Timothy Seelig and J. Tamblyn Henderson Jr.
SOMEDAY WE’LL BE TOGETHER [[Live)
[[Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua-Jackie Beavers) Producer unknown

MOVIN’ ON
Writer and producer unknown.

Keep in mind that there are other recordings done in foreign markets [[i.e. Brazil, etc, etc.) that are not included on this list that needs to be updated.....

Here's a song where Mary Wilson is featured
http://youtu.be/AaY23JRRO-Q

marv2
08-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Here's a song where Mary Wilson is featured
http://youtu.be/AaY23JRRO-Q

Yes! That is one of the recordings she did in Brazil among others. She recorded an unreleased duet with Dionne Warwick as well.

smark21
08-28-2014, 08:36 PM
List needs to be updated to include Life's Been Good to Me and Darling Mother, both of which can be purchased as downloads at iTunes and Amazon.

smark21
08-28-2014, 08:37 PM
And I wouldn't include Driving Wheel as a Mary lead. She may have a word or two, but it's Scherrie's lead with some minor solo ad libs from Mary and Susaye.

johnny_raven
08-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Also, THE BALLAD OF DAVY CROCKETT was a duet between Mary & Florence [[although Florence raps, not sings).

marv2
08-29-2014, 11:55 AM
List needs to be updated to include Life's Been Good to Me and Darling Mother, both of which can be purchased as downloads at iTunes and Amazon.

As well as "Don't Know Why", "I Am Changing", "Here's To Life", "Both Sides Now", Mas Que Nada", "New York State of Mind", "Fields of Gold", "Body & Soul", etc,etc....

jobeterob
08-29-2014, 12:00 PM

Very rational; always equally rational and critical of all Supremes. Good post.

marv2
09-05-2014, 11:14 PM
I LOVE Mary's version and would like to have her re-record it in a studio........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c1ZdSmYYtA

stephanie
09-07-2014, 01:29 AM
Mary sounds great here! Thanks for posting this Marv.