PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Tammi Motown solo discography

test

sophisticated_soul
11-09-2010, 07:39 PM
One of the many wonderful things about the new Tammi Terrell double disc set is that it has complete song annotation [[Thank You, Keith Hughes) for all of Tammi's solo recordings for Motown. For most of the songs this is the first time annotation has been provided. As a statisically oriented person, I enjoy knowing/understanding the chronology of an artists recordings, especially one I admire very much. So for those with statistical/chronologic interests, here is Tammi's Motown solo discography. Date, song, producer. F/B = Fuqua/Bristol and A/S = Ashford/Simpson.

*9/65 – I Can’t Believe You Love Me F/B
*10/65 – Hold Me Oh My Darling – Harvey Fuqua
10/65 – Memory Chest F/B
10/65 – Kissing In The Shadows – Harvey Fuqua
11/65 – Don’t Let Me Be Lonely – Wm ‘Mickey’ Stevenson/Ivy Jo Hunter
12/65 – Slow Down – Clarence Paul

*1/66 – That’s What Boys Are Made For F/B
1/66 – More, More, More A/S
*1/66 – Baby Don’tcha Worry F/B
1/66 – All I Do Is Think About You – Clarence Paul
*1/66 – Come On And See Me F/B
*2/66 – There Are Things F/B
3/66 – Two Can Have A Party F/B
*4/66 – Just Too Much To Hope For – Harvey Fuqua
*5/66 – Tears At The End Of A Love Affair F/B
5/66 – Give In, You Just Can’t Win F/B
*5/66 – I Can’t Go On Without You F/B
11/66 – My Heart – Smokey Robinson/Henry Cosby

*1/67 – Can’t Stop Now [[Love Is Calling) – William Witherspoon/James Dean
1/67 – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough F/B
5/67 – Lone Lonely Town – Mickey Gentile/Wm ‘Mickey’ Stevenson
6/67 – That’s How It Is [[Since You’ve Been Gone) – F/B
*7/67 – He’s The One I Love – Smokey Robinson
7/67 – When Love Comes Knocking At My Heart F/B
*8/67 – What a Good Man He Is – Smokey Robinson/Al Cleveland
8/67 – You Ain’t Livin’ ‘Till You’re Lovin F/B
8/67 – I Gotta Find A Way [[To Get You Back) – Norman Whitfield
*9/67 – This Old Heart Of Mine [[Is Weak For You) HDH
10/67 – Beware Of A Stranger A/S
12/67 – It’s Been A Long Time Happenin’ A/S

?/?? – Oh How I’d Miss You [[demo) – Hal Davis

* = on the album/cd “Irresistible”

midnight johnny
11-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Joseph....thanks for posting that! John

sophisticated_soul
11-09-2010, 08:36 PM
You're welcome mi amigo.

RossHolloway
11-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for starting this thread, because now I don't have to start one. But there are two things that struck me from this collection. 1. Tammi signed with Motown in April 1965, yet her first recording didn't take place for over 5 months. Does anyone know why? 2. I had always assumed that Tammi had pretty much stopped recording by 1969 [[despite what VS has said), but did it strike anyone else as strange that all her solo recordings had stopped by December 1967? It's Been A Long Time Happening is a great tune by the way. And this song was recorded after she had collapsed on stage in October 1967. And she sounds great. But isn't it strange that she did not record any solo material in 1968 or 1969?

sophisticated_soul
11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Ross, “It’s Been A Long Time Happenin’” is a great tune. I think it shows the direction Ashford & Simpson might have taken Tammi’s solo career – it has more of an R&B edge to me. They could have had a profound effect on Tammi’s solo career and it is amazing to think that the song was recorded just seven weeks after her collapse. Of course “Beware Of A Stranger” was recorded just two days before her collapse and again she sounds fine. It would only be conjecture on my part to say as to why there were no further solo recordings after 1967 because I don’t know. I guess there are many possible explanations. But I have found it very interesting that December 1967 seems to be the end of her solo career. When the album “Irresistible” was released in 1969 “This Old Heart Of Mine” was the most recently recorded song, having been recorded in September of 1967 – one month before her collapse.

1382hitsville
11-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for posting this. I just got my "Come On And See Me" CD last saturday and I'm really impressed with her range, style, class and vocal abilities. I had "Irrestable" on the spectrum CD before, but this collection gives everything a place and puts it in perspective.

What a talent!

sophisticated_soul
11-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks for posting this. I just got my "Come On And See Me" CD last saturday and I'm really impressed with her range, style, class and vocal abilities. I had "Irrestable" on the spectrum CD before, but this collection gives everything a place and puts it in perspective.

What a talent!

What a talent indeed. And with what love and care this set was put together. I've hardly played anything else since I got it. Enjoy! And thanks for posting 1382hitsville.

FloBallardFan2017
06-23-2017, 07:06 AM
The version of "Sinner's Devotion" is a alternate take than the one released on the Wand LP "The Early Show"