PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have BLUES & SOUL UK Magazine, No. 67, 1971 [[Sept. 10-23)?

test

Methuselah2
08-19-2014, 11:00 AM
This issue contains an article on THE ELGINS that mentions the number of UK tours the group did up to that time.

I'm trying to nail down that information for someone who's looking for it.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide. Much appreciated.

carole cucumber
08-19-2014, 12:03 PM
I don't have the magazine, but found the article/part of the article on the internet. I'm not sure that it offers the information that is being sought.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1837484&image=759901482&images=759901466,759901471,759901479,759901482,759 901489,759901495,759902045,759902050&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

heikki
08-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Hi!

I read the article and got the impression that it was their very first visit to the U.K., due to the Heaven's recent success in the country. They got back together for this particular tour lasting a few months.
They hadn't been together, nor in the recording studio since 1967.
It's a very good and profound feature on Yvonne Allen, John Virgil Dawson, Norman McLean and Duke Miller, giving detailed history of each member. John Abbey wrote it.

Unfortunately, I can't scan it, because if I try to take the magazine off the binder they had those days, the whole things simply falls apart.

Best regards
Heikki

Methuselah2
08-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Carole - Thank you so much the link. Greatly and gratefully appreciated. I was able to darken the photo of the magazine pages and read it pretty well.

And Heikki, thank you very much, too. From what I read, it does seem that 1971 was their first UK tour just as you mentioned.

Both of you have made this search very easy. I can't thank you enough.

soulwally
08-23-2014, 03:15 PM
I saw them on this tour, playing at Bank Hall Miners Club in Burnley, Lancashire UK.
As suggested by its name, the club was a large ' working man's club' [[the sort of place that will be familiar to UK SDF members). They usually featured 'heavy' guitar groups, but whoever was booking acts at the time managed to get the Elgins.
To be honest, I cannot remember much about the performance, although they drew an enthusiastic crowd of soul fans.
Heaven Must Have Sent You, of course, had been a dancefloor staple since its release, and of course remains so today.
I've even got a dim memory I reviewed the show for my local paper.

Methuselah2
08-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Interesting post Soulwally. Thank you! Certainly wish I had been there. The Elgins deserved much more recognition than they got in the US but I've always heard the UK was very enthusiastic about them. What a great group.

cheekylincs
08-24-2014, 06:33 AM
This issue contains an article on THE ELGINS that mentions the number of UK tours the group did up to that time.

I'm trying to nail down that information for someone who's looking for it.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide. Much appreciated.

I've got this copy - got loads of Blues & Soul magazines from around that era - dragged them around with me everywhere I've gone since I bought them back then - just can't bring myself to part with them as they are such a good reference of the music scene I was listening to at the time

theboyfromxtown
08-24-2014, 12:11 PM
Same here Cheekylincs......mine are in my parent's attic with NME, Disc, Record Mirror, Black Echoes etc. Trouble is, I'm now getting too old to climb ladders!!

tamla617
08-24-2014, 05:46 PM
How wierd. I was in the RAF, training. I had a room mate who lived in Winchester,Hants.Anyway I managed to meet up and we went off to Southampton Top Rank [[oh yeah,we knew how to live!) I wasn't good. We went out and ended up in Camberley,driving past this tiny place and saw the attraction..........The Elgins! Got in what a night,brilliant. I was 17! What a night that was. And this was OCTOBER 1971. I didn't have RAF leave in that September. Perhaps they had such a good time they extended,who knows,Oct 71 it was for me tho'.

Methuselah2
08-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Tamla - What luck! Out and about . . . and suddenly you get to see The Elgins! What a night that turned out to be.

tamla617
08-25-2014, 05:19 AM
Tamla - What luck! Out and about . . . and suddenly you get to see The Elgins! What a night that turned out to be.

I even remember what I was wearing! That night was so unexpected I wonder if it ever happened.Thats the way it was . Meanwhile back in Camberley 1978 .Me and another mate found a club,The Formations were on! At the top of the stairs record fame from around 1971 [[UK) Probably an old record dug up in the Northern soul clubs and got released on the strength of support.

Methuselah2
08-25-2014, 06:07 AM
AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS was also popular in some parts of the US. It was certainly big in Philadelphia. Terrific tune.

tamla617
08-25-2014, 06:32 AM
Was that in 1971 or earlier.I'll get your brain going! We had records released here sometime and even years after their US release or the LP with that track on.

roger
08-25-2014, 07:29 AM
"At The Top Of The Stairs" by THE FORMATIONS hit the U.S. charts in March 1968 Tamla617, and made the U.K. charts in July 1971 when reissued by Polydor on their Mojo label [[which was loosely affiliated with "Blues & Soul" magazine which kind of makes it fit in with this thread). Indeed it would have still been in the U.K. charts when the issue of "Blues & Soul" with THE ELGINS article came out.

Roger

soulwally
08-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Roger, you're brilliant on the stats usually. But am I right to be puzzled by your Tamla617 reference?

roger
08-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Roger, you're brilliant on the stats usually. But am I right to be puzzled by your Tamla617 reference?

Well Mr Soulwally, whether you are right to be puzzled is entirely up to you .... Tamla617 is a poster on here .... not to be confused with Tamla-Motown 617, which was "Don't You Miss Me A Little Bit Baby" by JIMMY RUFFIN ..... :)

Anyway, I've found my copy of B&S 67 and, just to illustrate the point Tamla617 was trying to convey here is their U.K. R&B chart for September 18th 1971 and roughly a half of the entries were at least 2 or 3 years old ...

Roger

soulwally
08-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Sorry Roger, I was being a bit thick. TMG617 [[with I Want Her Love on the flip) is one of my favourite Motown singles, taking both sides into account.

tamla617
08-30-2014, 05:13 PM
"At The Top Of The Stairs" by THE FORMATIONS hit the U.S. charts in March 1968 Tamla617, and made the U.K. charts in July 1971 when reissued by Polydor on their Mojo label [[which was loosely affiliated with "Blues & Soul" magazine which kind of makes it fit in with this thread). Indeed it would have still been in the U.K. charts when the issue of "Blues & Soul" with THE ELGINS article came out.
Roger

I've been away and unable to get online!
Yeah that was in the charts summer 71.IRC it was John E Abbey [[married Tamiko Jones) of Contempo and Blues and Soul who was the wheel at Mojo records,A few got re released on the Contempo label sometime after 73[[roughly ) Another couple from Mojo in mid 71 was Tammi Lynn's I'm gonna run away from you [[hoo hoo!) AND Jamo Thomas "I Spy for the FBI" It was a great summer all round.