PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson Onstage Last Night!

test

marv2
08-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Reflections-Mary Wilson-Cleveland Ohio Cancer Research Associates benefit 8/15/14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OvCZwZhtAA

marv2
08-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Here's another clip from the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_U0TDT4hnw

Methuselah2
08-18-2014, 01:40 AM
Very nice postings, Marv. Thanks very much.

Mary continues to do something very interesting. Some of the Supremes' tunes that are so well-known by the public and that she has the audience join her on stage for she does with great care to the arrangements and tempos of the original recordings--such as BABY LOVE & STOP! And it works extremely well--it recalls the past while adding a new touch to it with Mary on lead.

In the REFLECTIONS clip [[and I've also heard elsewhere in her MY WORLD IS EMPTY rendition), she does something risky--she has stylized her delivery and made it very personal. And all to beautiful effect. She brings something very fresh and dramatic to the music, and it's a joy to hear.

Diana was an astounding lead singer for the group and her voice was remarkably identifiable for the group's sound and highly instrumental in its success. She's a great favorite of mine. But the songs belonged to the entire group. And hearing Mary's take on them--as she does here on REFLECTIONS--has become very meaningful and rewarding. It is a real treat to see and hear her perform. It's always been that.

REDHOT
08-18-2014, 07:55 AM
i must say Methuselah,i agree with u 100%,I love what Mary has done to those Supreme classic's,she has put he own touch to them,love it,and thanks Marv for postin' this.

BigAl
08-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Mary's rapport with her audience, especially in a club setting, is one of her great strengths.

Rather than being a "singer's singer," she is a song stylist and brings her own personal coloring to her material. I prefer to see her doing non-Supremes material but of course she has to touch on those songs. Even in her Up-Close act she includes "My World is Empty Without You," segueing into it from "Fever," which, oddly enough, works beautifully.

detmotownguy
08-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Mary's rapport with her audience, especially in a club setting, is one of her great strengths.

Rather than being a "singer's singer," she is a song stylist and brings her own personal coloring to her material. I prefer to see her doing non-Supremes material but of course she has to touch on those songs. Even in her Up-Close act she includes "My World is Empty Without You," segueing into it from "Fever," which, oddly enough, works beautifully.

I really enjoy Mary singing My World! I saw her sing it a few years ago without the music and she could really blow without "whaling-oversinging". Ms. Payne also does a great job on the same song. I do understand your point of singing non-Supremes songs. I am not saying that I dislike her singing them. I like to hear her sing the jazz type stuff. However, i wish she would do more of the 70's hits.

Thanks again Marv for posting this great performance.

marv2
08-18-2014, 01:24 PM
You are most welcome. Yes, no one does "My World Is Empty Without You" like Mary. She delivers it in a bluesy, jazzy while sticking to the original "Motown Sound" in terms of instrumentation, arrangement. I love her singing of "Come See About Me" as well.

bradsupremes
08-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Mary put on an awesome show. The crowd LOVED her! Ever the professional, she continued to perform without missing a beat even when she sprayed her toes that morning.

blueskies
08-18-2014, 02:46 PM
I think Mary Wilson is an American Treasure!

Roberta75
08-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Mary put on an awesome show. The crowd LOVED her! Ever the professional, she continued to perform without missing a beat even when she sprayed her toes that morning.

What happened to Marys feet and toes bradsupremes? Mary Wilson is a gorgeos woman with the sexiest chin and most beautifull feet is showbusiness. I hope shes okay?

Roberta

marv2
08-19-2014, 11:57 PM
Although she is looking her usual hot self, I can tell Mary has a bit of a cold [[along with an injured foot Brad mentioned) she still always puts on a great show no matter what!

Mark Desjardines
08-20-2014, 12:50 AM
Wow! Mary works the heck out of these standards!

daviddh
08-20-2014, 12:27 PM
heard her do floy joy and Nathan jones and nailed both of them, wish she would keep them in the show. wouldn't mind hearing automatically sunshine .

thanxal
08-20-2014, 01:16 PM
heard her do floy joy and Nathan jones and nailed both of them, wish she would keep them in the show. wouldn't mind hearing automatically sunshine .
I wish she would do a 70s reunion even if there is no 60s reunion first. I can understand her reasoning for not doing the 70s first per the Scherrie/Susaye interview in Daeida, but I just played all the 70s Supremes 45s in order last night for some reason and what a fantastic body of work!

PhillyKen
08-20-2014, 05:56 PM
She announced in Atlantic City concert Sun night that she broke her toe in the shower.

smark21
08-20-2014, 08:20 PM
I really like that performance of Reflections; you can tell she's going deep into the lyrics to tell the story of the song and her story within the song.

LadyLola
08-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Wonderful!