PDA

View Full Version : Motown In Britain [[MOJO Magazine)

test

Methuselah2
08-11-2014, 02:04 PM
http://www.mojo4music.com/14297/motown-takes-britain-pictures/

MIKEW-UK
08-11-2014, 04:31 PM
I tried to win the mini..... bought a load of albums...... didn't work out :rolleyes:

westgrandboulevard
08-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Me too. I can't remember who did get the car. Just hope it was a real Motown fan.....!

Methuselah2
08-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Mike & WGB - Do you recall what your personally created Chartbusters compilations included? I'd love to hear your lists if, by chance, you remember them. I would imagine this contest must have had a ton of entries.

westgrandboulevard
08-12-2014, 06:11 AM
At that time, I bought :

Diana Ross & The Supremes Join The Temptations
Yesterday's Dreams -- Four Tops
Sophisticated Soul - The Marvelettes
Soul Master - Edwin Starr
In The Groove Marvin Gaye
Special Occasion - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
Love Child - Diana Ross & The Supremes
Sing & Perform Funny Girl - Diana Ross & The Supremes
For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder
Home Cookin' - Jr. Walker & The All Stars
Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers

My 'personally created' British Motown Chartbusters compilation was :

Reach out, I'll be there - Four Tops
Uptight - Stevie Wonder
Baby Love - Supremes
My girl - Temptations
The tracks of my tears - Miracles
I can't help myself - Four Tops
Dancing in the street - Martha & The Vandellas
My guy - Mary Wells
Stop her on sight [[S.O.S) - Edwin Starr
Walk away Renee - Four Tops
Stop in the name of love - Supremes
This old heart of mine - Isley Brothers
Nowhere to Run - Martha & The Vandellas
Ain't too proud to beg - Temptations
You can't hurry love - Supremes
For once in my life - Stevie Wonder

theboyfromxtown
08-12-2014, 06:28 AM
Did you keep that? Wow!!

I remember putting a lot of older tracks.

I still have an entry form in one of my albums. WGB - did you make more than entry?

westgrandboulevard
08-12-2014, 06:45 AM
I put on all the UK hits which didn't make it onto the first two [[British) Motown Chartbuster sets. Even though it was just a personal selection, there didn't seem much point in duplicating previous [[and very successful) releases, so I wanted it to fit into the series, even if only in retrospective.

Some later ended up on Mo' CB 3 [[the silver one), including Stevie "For once..." which was hot around Christmas 1968.

Hadn't even passed my driving test at the time but yes, I used every entry form I could lay my hands on. And kissed every bloody one before I sent it off.....:)

See if you can post an image of the entry form. You know how I love goin' back.....

Methuselah2
08-12-2014, 07:25 AM
WGB - I loved what you purchased. And your own compilation is terrific. I think it was great what went into your selection process, to have your choices fit in with actually released Chartbusters albums and avoid duplications. Excellent. Demand a recount! Fight this thing tooth and nail! That car should be yours!

Methuselah2
08-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Although I imagine Tbfxt and Mike gave you some stiff competition.

westgrandboulevard
08-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Meth2 - Since none of us won [[unless someone is holding out on me....:confused:) the competition from elsewhere must have been even stiffer....

theboyfromxtown
08-12-2014, 07:57 AM

Here is the front page

theboyfromxtown
08-12-2014, 07:58 AM

Here are the choices

theboyfromxtown
08-12-2014, 08:07 AM
Was there a photo of the winner in a music newspaper. A few of my still working brain cells seem to be telling me I did.

Sharon Davis will remember, I'm sure.

westgrandboulevard
08-12-2014, 08:12 AM
LOLOL. You've given me an 'Eureka!' moment....

Now I remember! I filled in their own entry form,[[with variations) but found myself thinking "Who put this lot together? Some are already released on Chartbusters!"...and so my own list accompanied every single entry [[!)

"I have selected these twelve titles...even though I think my own selection is better" [[all the while thinking "only twelve titles?")

I guess my 'attitude' lost me that Mini. Oh well, I got my own back. How many of them are still there at EMI...and look at the member name I'm using these days....:)

Yes, ask SD.....she'll know, for sure....

Methuselah2
08-12-2014, 08:15 AM

theboyfromxtown
08-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Methuselah2!!!

lolol

bobkayli
08-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Forgive for my interest in one of the details on the form.
It's Interesting that the EMI address on the form shows a postcode. I thought West London postcodes started in 1970 so wonder if EMI had some advance warning of their code given that the competition came out in 1968 when W1 would have been the standard..

westgrandboulevard
08-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Meth2 - LOLOL

"And hurry, as next birthday I'm 65..."
[[but who's counting?!)

westgrandboulevard
08-12-2014, 08:28 AM
bobkayli

Hmmmm. If they knew the new postcode in advance, maybe they already knew the competition winner, too..LOL

bobkayli
08-12-2014, 10:16 AM
bobkayli

Hmmmm. If they knew the new postcode in advance, maybe they already knew the competition winner, too..LOL

So the competition may have been rigged. Another scandal from the 60s that needs a public enquiry. My MP is Theresa May, I'll give her the inside track.

I remember seeing a form like the one shown on the thread appearing on eBay not so long ago. I didn't bid because I wasn't sure about the address/postcode.

Meantime I'm off to Detroit tomorrow and will be staying on your namesake: West Grand Boulevard. Let me know if EMI get back to you regarding the mini that seems rightfully yours.......

westgrandboulevard
08-12-2014, 02:28 PM
If it takes another 45 years, they'll have a hard job finding me!

Anyway, it is likely that the mini has long gone to the scrapyard, which I have not.

I really will be interested to read an account of your time on the authentic and very real WGB , and am sure there are many others here, who feel the same.

Could you check to see if Grand Boulevard has completely been renamed Berry Gordy Jr Boulevard [[or General Motors Boulevard) ? If that's so, I'm now out here on my own as WGB....

Have a great time!

MIKEW-UK
08-12-2014, 02:38 PM
First prize winner Bert Rayleigh not only drove away with the Motown Mini that March, but he also got to meet Stevie Wonder, who attended an EMI reception in London to make the presentation.

http://classic.motown.com/tag/motown-mini/

westgrandboulevard
08-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks Mike, for the link.

Reading the introduction to the article, it appears the winner was really Bert Smart, from Rayleigh, Essex. Later in the article, he then appears to be 'less' Smart. Somebody didn't check their copy, did they...

How convenient for the presentation by Stevie Wonder that the winner made his purchase from HMV in Oxford Street......:)