PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Smith and the Detroit Historic Musicians Association Warming UP!

test

gannon
11-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Mornin' y'all. I am jumping out of my skin with excitement this morning.

I finally met Mckinley Jackson at Buddy's house yesterday, as well as Thomas Postell and Randy Catchings. They got together with Gary Sims, Shondu Akien and newcomer Larry Minne [[husband to the amazing Judy Adams of WDET fame and beyond here in Detroit) and Buddy Smith to rehearse material for some upcoming gigs while they aim to assemble a far-reaching tour.

The only one missing out of the core group of the DHMA was Frank Garcia, who has been having some health issues...from what I understand...so those with faith please keep him in your prayers. Actually, from Buddy's list [[now that I peek at it), Joey Kingfish Stribling was also not present...I'll try to ask 'em about him today.

I setup a simple recording rig, and after witnessing these musical geniuses figure out the arrangement of Buddy's old tune, "When You Lose The One You Love", sat in awe as they completely nailed a modern version of this foundational tune of the Northern Soul genre in the UK.

Buddy agreed to let me put their full cut from rehearsal up on YouTube, to give his on-line fans a chance to see what they are doing now...in preparation for taking their music on the road.

As I said before, Buddy has been planning this year since I met him 18 months or so ago at the Bohemian National Home. I am honored to be his resident technology geek...and I guess I'm proving to these masters that I can get a recording even using some rather substandard gear! [[I've got a few secrets up my sleeve, though!)

SO...as soon as I get the tune uploaded, with some form of graphics explaining everything...I hope everyone enjoys the results we got. We're going back this afternoon...and I've not been as excited in recent memory as I am now...couldn't sleep more than four hours.

Cheers and more from chilly DEtroit...waitin' for these smokin' hot fellows to warm up the day.

gannon
11-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I really shouldn't post before the caffeine hits.

THIS song is an updating of his old hit, "When You're WITH the One You Love".

It has been a lifetime of experience since he wrote that original tune.

We're looking for a pristine copy of the 45rpm, if anyone has it lying around...

Cheers

jsmith
11-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Not the youtube clip gannon will be posting [[hopefully) ......
... but one featuring the 45 "WHEN YOU LOSE THE ONE YOU LOVE"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TsbYMll4TE

gannon
11-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Jsmith. I cannot get enough of that tune.

Funny, I guess he wrote two tunes even back then...When You're WITH the One You Love, and When You LOSE the One You Love.

The one I'm trying to upload is the audio from yesterday's rehearsal. It was smokin'. I had a blast meeting the guys, Mckinley is one smooth dude. Watching him in action...working out the arrangement, and interacting with these friends of his...was pure joy.

Buddy just called, but there was too much noise for me to converse...I'll ask him at lunch.

Cheers

gannon
11-09-2010, 01:01 PM
OMG, I can be SUCH the airhead sometimes.

They are the SAME song. I got it wrong...he never did a WITH tune, but that IS one line in the song.

Heck, I played it over and over for them yesterday while they were figuring out what was in it...there were no charts drawn up then...or at least if there were, they've been L-O-N-G lost...like Buddy's personal copies of the 45s.

We really want to score some, if they are out there.

Cheers while the caffeine finally hits today. UGH!