PDA

View Full Version : Supremes "Silent Voices"; edit error?

test

marybrewster
08-08-2014, 12:49 PM
The thread about the "squeak" on "TNSUN" got me thinking about "Silent Voices" from the Supremes.

My ears have always heard a bad edit job when Jean sings the line "My love, oh my love." It comes out as "Muh. My love, oh my love."

Take a listen at 2:28 and tell me what you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IItuo5gt1Z0

westgrandboulevard
08-08-2014, 01:02 PM
I've always thought it to be a clumsy edit, otherwise I feel Jean would have timed and phrased it differently. And wondered why it was left there....but it was.

Trouble is, I can never hear that track without listening out for it......

bradsupremes
08-08-2014, 06:42 PM
If you listen to the end of "We Should Be Closer Together," you can hear Mary's vocal gets muted or edited out at 3:49. It sounds like she's about to say "you," but gets cut out. It's possible it was from an alternate vocal.

franjoy56
08-09-2014, 12:22 AM
Supremes produced arranged by jimmy webb was a flawless work although toss and turnin and cheap lovin I think belonged elsewhere it ruinned the beautiful theme of the album, and at tmes the bkg overshadowed the lead vocal on some tracks..

bradsupremes
08-09-2014, 12:50 AM
The Jimmy Webb album should have been a masterpiece, but it ended up being the worst Supremes album. There are many problems with the album...song selection, arrangements, the mastering, the usage of additional background vocals, Jean sounds shrill on several tracks, etc. If you look at other Jimmy Webb produced albums before and after this like the 5th Dimension's Magic Garden and Earthbound albums, Thelma Houston's Sunshower album and Richard Harris' A Tramp Shining and The Yard Went On Forever albums and they're incredible masterpieces. This should have been ranked with those. Sadly, it was the dud.

franjoy56
08-09-2014, 02:54 AM
The Jimmy Webb album should have been a masterpiece, but it ended up being the worst Supremes album. There are many problems with the album...song selection, arrangements, the mastering, the usage of additional background vocals, Jean sounds shrill on several tracks, etc. If you look at other Jimmy Webb produced albums before and after this like the 5th Dimension's Magic Garden and Earthbound albums, Thelma Houston's Sunshower album and Richard Harris' A Tramp Shining and The Yard Went On Forever albums and they're incredible masterpieces. This should have been ranked with those. Sadly, it was the dud. I agree there were some problems with this album esp the use of the extra voices of the blossoms, whereas mary and lynda woild have been sufficient, but jean really came into her own as a vocalist on three tracks in particular beyond myself, when can brown begin and all I want. And it sold more copies than funny girl and the supremes 75, meet the supremes and mary scherrie and susaye.

stephanie
08-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Ha the infamous edit, I was wondering when someone would bring this up on the forum.

144man
08-10-2014, 02:39 AM
All these years and I've never noticed it until now!!!

supremester
08-10-2014, 03:40 AM
I've always thought Jean came in early. Doesn't seem like an edit to me.
I've always thought it to be a clumsy edit, otherwise I feel Jean would have timed and phrased it differently. And wondered why it was left there....but it was.

Trouble is, I can never hear that track without listening out for it......