PDA

View Full Version : DRATS/Diana "Keep an Eye"

test

marybrewster
08-07-2014, 01:09 PM
I've always been curious about the song "Keep an Eye."

Diana and "the Supremes" originally released it on "Love Child" in 1968. It was again included on Diana's solo "Diana Ross" in 1970.

Was it ever considered for single release by either the DRATS or Diana? Did Motown think it was that strong of a song to include it [[although two different versions) on two different LPs? Was there not enough "filler" for Diana's LP? I find it pretty rare that an artist [[basically) covered their own song.

I prefer the DRATS version. And yes, I know it's not Mary and Cindy. The Andates are ROCKING on the background, especially on the lines "On top of evil [[UH HUH) there's an innocent face. Oh on top of evil [[OOOH YEA) he puts an innocent face."

I also think the line "there used to be three of us, seen all over town, now there's only two, someone's missing. Guess who." is pretty autobiographical. I wonder if Diana [[or Mary) read into that and thought about Flo.

skooldem1
08-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Beyonce did the same thing. She recorded the song "Dangerously in love" with Destiny's Child for the Survivor Album. Then she not only recorded it again for her solo debut album, but she titled the album "Dangerously in Love".

reese
08-07-2014, 02:11 PM
I prefer the version with the Supremes as well, although I think it is probably Nick, Val, and possibly Joshie Armstead on the backgrounds. Diana's vocal is perfect and really captures the paranoia of the lyrics.

I was surprised that Diana recorded it again for her debut album, especially since it isn't all that different from the original. By comparison, I think Diana sounds bored on the remake. I don't think there is much [[if any) leftover material from her Ashford and Simpson sessions. In the notes for the expanded SURRENDER, I think Valerie says that they had run out of material. But just like Motown inserted Johnny Bristol's THESE THINGS... into the debut album, they could have inserted maybe one of the Bones Howe songs instead of a remake of KEEP AN EYE, although it might have been jarring.

Re the lyrics, Diana could have very well thought of herself as the "someone missing" since those weren't always happy years for her.

ejluther
08-07-2014, 05:05 PM
I also thought it interesting that it showed up both places - I always assumed they just loved the tune [[as do I) and wanted to give it a second life...

jobeterob
08-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Time to go back and listen to the first version. I had kind of forgot about it. Thanks.

midnight johnny
08-07-2014, 06:11 PM
I don't know if I'd say Diana is bored on the second version...but Lord knows it's much too fast and, to me, she seemed rushed, after presenting the longer first version in such a slow, measured way which was perfect for the music and the suspenseful lyrics. The first version was amazingly masterful...Diana's very understated lead vocal, and Nick and Val's beautifully done background and a between-the-eyes instrumental track . Nick and Val did this theme again on Gladys and the Pips "A Friend Of Mine"...a great song...but then Nick and Val loved to rework their material...even from early on....

BayouMotownMan
08-07-2014, 08:59 PM
I think it was confirmed that it is Mary and Cindy on Keep An Eye from the Love Child lp. I agree this version is superior.

When Berry assigned A&S to Ross, they likely did some demo stuff with her trying to find a sound. This may have come from that and as someone else said they may have run out of recorded material in time for the release of the album. Just guessing here. I do recall Nick Ashford saying Ross didn't want to record Ain't No Mountain because she had already did a recording for it nor did she want to do You're All I Need because she wanted only original material. Her vocal on I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is was done over the instrumental track Blinky recorded on a year earlier.

jobeterob
08-07-2014, 09:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEdaotJiRtA

jobeterob
08-07-2014, 09:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ZM3iE1G5A

franjoy56
08-07-2014, 09:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEdaotJiRtA diana mary snd cindy version hands up in fact msry and cindy also recorded ill set u free, and hes my sunny boy, and i think you been so wonderful to me 4 tracks on ond album

jobeterob
08-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Taste is very different; I much prefer Diana's.

But you guys have taught me what an Andante sounds like ~ basically that high stuff on Love Child. They might have used the Andantes a lot, but I'd take Florence and Mary behind Diana in those initial years as having the best sound out of them all.

vgalindo
08-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Taste is very different; I much prefer Diana's.

But you guys have taught me what an Andante sounds like ~ basically that high stuff on Love Child. They might have used the Andantes a lot, but I'd take Florence and Mary behind Diana in those initial years as having the best sound out of them all.

I also prefer the Diana Ross solo version better. Her vocals and the mix are much better to me.

Bokiluis
08-07-2014, 10:58 PM
The "Love Child" version trumps her solo version. I had thought that it may have been another of the "Love Child" sessions where Diana pulled her weight solo. I cannot hear marywilson or Cindy. But that's just me. That song and almost 90% of the "Love Child" album is easily the best Diana Ross & The Supremes albums. I have turned several fans onto the brilliance of that album with her soulful reading of "Does Your Momma Know About Me" coinciding with my first interracial relationship, "He's My [[Sunny Boy)" when the brass kicks in at the center, the track is smoking, the deeply emotional "You've Been So Wonderful to Me", clever lyrics on "How Long Has that Drain Been Gone".
I just wished Motown would have stuck with the rumored album of social songs like "Shadows of Society", "The Young Folks" and "I'm Living in Shame". The daring artwork coincided with a newfound sense of black pride....and it worked, reinventing the ladies for a Civil Rights audience.
But needing to get the album out to capitalize on the holiday season and "Livin' in Shame" was not released until January 6th 1969. Maybe more light will be shed on the forthcoming Expanded a Edition of "Love Child". Call me a conspiracy theorist, but, I don't think it is coincidence that "Keep An Eye" was released twice. And the target is not necessarily the most obvious.
It ranks as my favorite Diana Ross & The Supremes album. I was so pleased to see 4 tracks included on "The Supremes Box set". Who knows how aware the ladies were of the social impacting it was having on the culture. I saw as a snapshot of what love could be like for a young girl growing up in the Brewster Projects. Only the last two cuts don't rank with the rest of this superb release. Nowadays labels add another track to an existing CD....so was the market prepared to reposition the album in January including "I'm Living in Shame"? Sure it would have pissed off fans who bought the first edition, but, give them the "I'm Livin in Shame" single as a make good effort. The Civil Rights Act had forced integration of schools and it was inevitable that mixed love affairs would be borne. It would have two top 10 hits and one T30. I would have stuck with clothing styles similar to the album and on the subsequent singles. The ladies could have led a national campaign against teen pregnancy. I kind of feel this was really the last Supremes studio album with a consistent vision. I also sense that Berry was working/testing tracks on Diana for a solo debut. It has been written that marywilson and Cindy, less so, opted for a vacation forcing the label's hands. Diana was determined to work her creative juices were flowing. Its time for me to give it another fine listening.

Methuselah2
08-08-2014, 12:44 AM
I've always wanted Diana to record an album of non-Supremes Motown songs that she really loved--each getting the full treatment production-wise and each produced by the song's writers as possible. I think it could be terrific and, if well-received, maybe the basis of a new tour. Possible title: "Chanteuse on the Loose--in Studio A."