PDA

View Full Version : Motowners on SDF

test

longtimefan
08-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Hmmm, just thinking. Besides Susaye [[and Ralph, of course), have any other Motowners posted on SDF with regularity? ...or even once?

blueskies
08-07-2014, 07:56 AM
I believe Katherine of the Marvelettes did a few times back when.

Sotosound
08-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Dennis Coffey used to post quite regularly.

woodward
08-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Hmmm, just thinking. Besides Susaye [[and Ralph, of course), have any other Motowners posted on SDF with regularity? ...or even once?

Let's not forget the esteemed Alan Abrams. He will always be Motowner #1 in a lot of peoples opinion. As most of you know he was the first employee of Berry in the beginning. He has posted on the Motown forum numerous times and been an advocate of the Motown history that he has rightfully documented in his book, Hype & Soul.

reese
08-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Deke Richards posted some very interesting info. Rosalind Ashford of the Vandellas also posted once or twice.

mowsville
08-07-2014, 11:01 AM
R Dean taylor did a few times

westgrandboulevard
08-07-2014, 11:37 AM
...as did Tommy Good.

Let's not forget that anyone from the other Motowners can view the posts, but may not actually sign in and post comments....

roger
08-07-2014, 11:50 AM
FRANCES NERO posted on a few occasions.

Roger

luke
08-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Annette Holmes of the Vandellas

johnny_raven
08-07-2014, 12:25 PM
I think you mean Annette HELTON.

luke
08-07-2014, 01:38 PM
oh yea Roz HOLMES

theboyfromxtown
08-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Velvelettes lead singer, Cal Street has posted on SDF

marybrewster
08-07-2014, 01:49 PM
There was a "Message from Mary [[Wilson)" a while back that at eluded that she has seen some of the comments on this board, and others.

Perhaps not in the same category, but Andy, George and Harry have also posted from time to time.

And some of you also might remember when Tony Turner was a regular here. [[Remember the rules of being nice!) :)

edafan
08-07-2014, 02:10 PM
our late member Bob Babbitt
posted here.
and Ray Monette of Rare Earth
edafan

jobeterob
08-07-2014, 02:12 PM
I think we could have a few come back now too.

theboyfromxtown
08-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Mike Terry, George McGregor and Mike McLean have also posted

1382hitsville
08-07-2014, 02:46 PM
A few years ago I saw a post of Chris Clark. Announcing an UK tour.

thomas96
08-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Jimmy Ruffin and Jack Ashford were on a long long time ago. But only very brief posts, and not many.

jobeterob
08-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Many of these people are on Facebook and run their own pages, not a fan page like many celebrities have. And many of them post a lot ~ Susaye posts a lot. But many of the posts of many of these people are not music related; there are some about family and other interests.

longtimefan
08-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Many of these people are on Facebook and run their own pages, not a fan page like many celebrities have. And many of them post a lot ~ Susaye posts a lot. But many of the posts of many of these people are not music related; there are some about family and other interests.

You are absolutely correct, jobeterob. It's intriguing to stumble on a celebrity's Facebook page and enjoy posts about his/her personal interests.

In regard to Susaye, I was indicating [[above) that she is often on SFD itself [[213 times).

Mary G Jive Five
08-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Other artists [[not necessarily Motown) who used to post here are Spyder Turner, Chazz Dixon, Bobby Eli, Ray Monette, Detroit News music journalist Susan Whitall, some members of girl groups [[who did not reveal their identity to most because of all the fighting) and more who's names are slipping my mind at the moment.

There was a great deal of musical knowledge and history from these folks. I learned so much from them. I found SDF by researching The Jive Five on the net. I've always loved r&b/ soul which is not popular in my native Maine.

There were interesting discussions on the main forum about many soul, r&b and "doo wop" artists from various areas of the country. It is my hope, some will return. It's true Facebook has become the rage for many. I administer a fan page there myself for Eugene Pitt & The Jive Five. SDF does have a lot to offer, and I'm grateful for the friends I've made here and the knowledge I have gained from SDF members.

~~Mary~~

midnightman
08-07-2014, 08:56 PM
^ I remembered when Susan posted on the old Soulful Detroit forum. Had no idea Katherine posted too. Cool. :)

mellow_q
08-08-2014, 09:40 AM
There was a "Message from Mary [[Wilson)" a while back that at eluded that she has seen some of the comments on this board, and others.

Perhaps not in the same category, but Andy, George and Harry have also posted from time to time.

And some of you also might remember when Tony Turner was a regular here. [[Remember the rules of being nice!) :)

Mary Wilson does "lurk" on SDF.

theboyfromxtown
08-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Mike Valvano had his user name set up but he passed before posting.

Russ Terrana has also posted and there have been some great anecdotes and videos from him and Ralph on the forum.

ralpht
08-08-2014, 03:11 PM
I won't forget that day, John. I had just spoken with Mike when, one morning, I got a call from Harry Balk telling me of Mike's passing. That was a tough one for me.

jobeterob
08-08-2014, 10:19 PM
I won't forget that day, John. I had just spoken with Mike when, one morning, I got a call from Harry Balk telling me of Mike's passing. That was a tough one for me.

It is very tough as you get old to see your contemporaries failing and then pass away. If you are lucky enough to make it to 90 or beyond, it creates a great loneliness to see school mates, work colleagues and your family go.

This is one reason it is very nice to have a Forum celebrating some people that worked together in a Family Atmosphere 50 years ago.

marv2
08-10-2014, 08:42 PM

Ralph, you know I heard from Mike's wife some time ago thanking us for remembering him.

stephanie
08-11-2014, 01:14 AM
The late Weldon McDougal from Motown and Phildelphia Intl posted here as well.

ralpht
08-11-2014, 07:47 AM
That is nice to know, Marv. I never got to meet her.