PDA

View Full Version : Oprah Does Diana

test

jobeterob
08-06-2014, 12:29 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/05/oprah-diana-ross-o-magazine_n_5651457.html

supremester
08-06-2014, 02:38 AM
LOL

Nice try

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/05/oprah-diana-ross-o-magazine_n_5651457.html

Methuselah2
08-06-2014, 03:23 AM
I think Oprah looks very beautiful on the cover of her magazine in her glamourous-movie-star pose. But it's the type of pose that was associated closely with Greta Garbo, actually, to begin with. Ross used it herself, and Oprah may have been familiar with that and also with what Garbo had done. But the 'Ross angle' may be all the Huffington Post's take on it, not Oprah's. Oprah merely seems to be having fun with a type of pose, not trying to channel Ross directly. That's my take on it.

Garbo:

reese
08-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Last night on ACCESS HOLLYWOOD, Oprah mentioned that she was trying to emulate Diana's pose.

David J
08-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Last night on ACCESS HOLLYWOOD, Oprah mentioned that she was trying to emulate Diana's pose.

So there you have it, thanks for the info Reese, Oprah has always admired Diana [[and The Supremes).

marybrewster
08-06-2014, 09:27 AM

Interesting. I don't see how throwing your hands on top of your head is channeling Diana, but if Oprah says so, then there you go.

If you ask me, I think Mary J nailed it on the cover of "Ebony" a few years back.....

Methuselah2
08-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Emulating someone's pose is one thing; channeling that person a whole other thing. I don't think Oprah confused the two.

jillfoster
08-06-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm just glad to see Oprah in a pose for once that doesn't have her mouth WIDE OPEN.

marybrewster
08-06-2014, 01:11 PM

jobeterob
08-06-2014, 09:20 PM
I love the line about Oprah at least having her mouth closed this time.

I love Supremester's "Nice Try". He understood my lame humour.

And Ross has been channelled or emulated several times by Oprah and others like Beyoncé, Mary J Blige and in look even by Aretha Franklin.

I'm not culture aware enough to really understand the difference between channelling and emulating.

LuvHangOva
08-06-2014, 09:47 PM
In both the Garbo and Ross pictures the photographer has used the pose AND the lighting to emphasize the subjects' facial bone structure and eyes. The result?? Ultra Glamour. The Oprah photographer ....ummm ...Not so much

Both Ross and Garbo can/could be stunning without a huge "halo" of hair surrounding their faces on the strength of their facial features. Miss Winfrey?? ummmm....not so much.

supremester
08-06-2014, 10:25 PM
I'm not calling out Oprah here, necessarily, but you just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I've seen it tried before with stars I will not mention, but..........ya just can't. Look at The Supremes: no sow's ears among them. Flo wasn't a glam gal, but she fit in quite nicely. Mary and especially Miss Ross were natural fits - it has to come from the inside and shine out.
Like Scarlett said when quoting Mammy, "You can dress yourselves up and give yourselves airs, but you're nothing but mules in horse' harness and you aren't fooling anybody."

Methuselah2
08-06-2014, 11:10 PM
In both the Garbo and Ross pictures the photographer has used the pose AND the lighting to emphasize the subjects' facial bone structure and eyes. The result?? Ultra Glamour. The Oprah photographer ....ummm ...Not so much

Both Ross and Garbo can/could be stunning without a huge "halo" of hair surrounding their faces on the strength of their facial features. Miss Winfrey?? ummmm....not so much.

Excellent points, LHO!

REDHOT
08-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Sorry that look has been done many many many times,even before Diana did it,it's a model's look.