PDA

View Full Version : BABY LOVE [[first version) - Supremes

test

woodward
07-16-2014, 11:18 AM
In the Guardian UK article How We Made Baby Love, Shelley Berger was quoted as saying that ". . . So there is a first versionof Baby Love that maybe could have been a top 10 hit. . . . If you listen to that early version of Baby Love and then the version that was released, it's day and night. . . ."

Does anyone know where the early version exists? Has it ever been released on CD?

Thanks.

thanxal
07-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Where Did Our Love Go, Expanded Edition, Disc 2 Track 19
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/baby-love/id77230528?i=77230802

bradsupremes
07-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Here is the first version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4CVtZOTBNE

jobeterob
07-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Just like Berry's ideas on a few other releases [[like alternate versions of Love Child), his choices were impeccable.

The new beginning became TradeMark Diana and TradeMark Supremes.

supremester
07-16-2014, 03:43 PM
The original is pretty good, the final is flawless......Mary & Flo are perfect also on the final mix [[more Flo) whereas Mary dominated the bg on WDOLG so well. What a team - Ross' voice was perfect.

BigAl
07-16-2014, 05:58 PM
It lacks the vocal energy of the released version, possibly because the gals really didn't like the song and kind of "phoned it in." When pressed to do better, they did. The addition of the opening "Ooooh-ooooh" was inspired.

I do like the sax break [[Mike Terry?) a great deal, though, and in fact I prefer it to the instrumental break on the released version. It does bear something of a resemblance to the break in "Where did Our Love Go,' however, so perhaps that's why it ultimately was not used.

midnightman
07-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Shows you how Motown wanted them to have a HIT. You can tell in the first version they didn't like it as much as they didn't like Where Did Our Love Go so Berry made them go at it again. I don't know who told who but when Diana did that "oooh-oooh" intro, that helped it. Then the mixture of lead and background near the end sealed it!