PDA

View Full Version : Motown - The Musical In Detroit

test

oldiesmusicfan
07-12-2014, 11:16 AM
I just ordered four tickets to see Motown The Musical at the Fisher Theater in Detroit in November. We are all really excited!

I know there was at least one previous thread on this subject, but I did a search for it and came up with nothing, so I thought I'd post a new one.

Who here has already seen it elsewhere? Please give me your opinions about the show, tell what your favorite parts were and mention anything special we should look for.

Can't wait to see this show. Been a fan of the music for half a century plus!

Oldies

Lulu
07-12-2014, 05:24 PM
I just ordered four tickets to see Motown The Musical at the Fisher Theater in Detroit in November. We are all really excited!

I know there was at least one previous thread on this subject, but I did a search for it and came up with nothing, so I thought I'd post a new one.

Who here has already seen it elsewhere? Please give me your opinions about the show, tell what your favorite parts were and mention anything special we should look for.

Can't wait to see this show. Been a fan of the music for half a century plus!

Oldies

It's a nice overview of what the casual Motown fan or Baby boomer should expect from a jukebox musical. The performers are all really terrific although the touring cast is different than the ones that were/are on Broadway. I'd download the soundtrack from iTunes or order it from Amazon or maybe see if it's at Borders to test the waters.

Just a warning though: if you, like some on these forums, or in Detroit [[I'm told - none of my friends or family though) have an axe to grind with Gordy/Ross, it's probably not for you as it focuses a lot on his vision for her as a star as the pinnacle of his investment in Motown along with their romantic relationship. Given what was reported so often in the 1980s and in the occasional gossip rag or blog these days, it's a refreshing change to see a capsule which is positive and doesn't demonize any of the key players.