PDA

View Full Version : 5 Diana Ross RCA Albums: EXPANDED Editions coming to CD ONLY from FunkyTownGrooves!

test

Lulu
07-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Happy Friday! Lulu darling just logged into Facebook and couldn't believe what she saw! These are not digital [[mp3) releases as we've come to know from FTG! All of you physical product completists should be pleased!

So far we've only got news on Why Do Fools Fall in Love, Silk Electric, Ross, Swept Away and Eaten Alive. Tracklistings to be announced shortly, I gather.

Here's there FB page if you want to see for your selves!

https://www.facebook.com/Funkytowngrooves

jobeterob
07-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Incredible and unexpected!

Lulu
07-11-2014, 05:32 PM
I expect to see this on Anderson Cooper's "Breaking News" tonight!

RossHolloway
07-11-2014, 05:58 PM
I'll hold off on my excitement until I see what the expanded editions contain. If they include new unreleased tracks then I'm all in, but if its just instrumentals or 12" singles, I'll probably pass. Is anyone familiar with this labels work and what they've put out in the past?

Lulu
07-11-2014, 06:01 PM
I'll hold off on my excitement until I see what the expanded editions contain. If they include new unreleased tracks then I'm all in, but if its just instrumentals or 12" singles, I'll probably pass. Is anyone familiar with this labels work and what they've put out in the past?

I've purchased all of their Gladys Knight/Pips and La Toya Jackson releases along with a few more by Thelma Houston. They went LOVE OVERBOARD on Gladys...I've posted a link to the PIPS albums here and the 1st solo album is now sold out as are some of these. If they can expand 1985's Visions to fill two discs...the possibilities are endless!!!

http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/search.php?action=dosearch&srch_terms=Gladys+Knight+And+The+Pips&srch_type=all&submit.x=9&submit.y=9&submit=submit

skooldem1
07-11-2014, 06:03 PM
This is great news. I wonder why they aren't planning on releasing all 6 instead of 5.

Lulu
07-11-2014, 06:04 PM
I've purchased all of their Gladys Knight/Pips and La Toya Jackson releases along with a few more by Thelma Houston. They went LOVE OVERBOARD on Gladys...I've posted a link to the PIPS albums here and the 1st solo album is now sold out as are some of these. If they can expand 1985's Visions to fill two discs...the possibilities are endless!!!

http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/search.php?action=dosearch&srch_terms=Gladys+Knight+And+The+Pips&srch_type=all&submit.x=9&submit.y=9&submit=submit

I should add...GK&P The One and Only was my favorite and is also sold out...look at the mixes and "wow" factors:

http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/MIXED-GROUPS/107/Gladys-Knight-And-The-Pips-The-One-And-Only-[[Expanded-Edition)/3477

That Walter Gibbons mix of "It's a Better Than Good Time" is worth the price alone!

RossHolloway
07-11-2014, 06:08 PM

Doesn't D Ross own the master tracks from her time at RCA? Wasn't her imprint Rossville or Ross Records or something along those tracks?

vgalindo
07-11-2014, 06:54 PM
I am so excited. I also have purchased all the Gladys Knight/ Pips and some Melba Moore and they are wonderful. Most all of them have unreleased tracks. They expanded "Visions" and "Life" to double cds. I can hardly wait. This is a dream come true. I love the RCA years.

jobeterob
07-11-2014, 07:26 PM
I wonder what has prompted this to occur?

Sales are up again due to the tour?

vgalindo
07-11-2014, 07:37 PM
This is great news. I wonder why they aren't planning on releasing all 6 instead of 5.
I was wondering the same thing. This happened with Gladys Knight and the Pips too. They expanded all of their Buddah records except for their "Still Together" album which happens to be one of my favorites.

nabob
07-11-2014, 07:49 PM
I've purchased all of their Gladys Knight/Pips . . . . releases . . . . They went LOVE OVERBOARD on Gladys...Thanks for posting to this thread. I had forgotten these had been released. Some orders were placed from the Amazon Marketplace.

skooldem1
07-11-2014, 07:55 PM
So far they have confirmed that there will be 8 bonus tracks for the "Why do fools fall in love" album. I wonder what is in store for the other albums.

RossHolloway
07-11-2014, 08:51 PM
8 bonus tracks. This should be interesting.

vgalindo
07-11-2014, 09:01 PM
These will probably beat the release of "Baby It's Me" and "A Go Go" We have been waiting forever. I love that Funky Town is expanding these. Its great because they will all be released around the same time and you don't have wait years to get the next release. However the love and packaging does not compare to the expanded editions that George, Harry, and Andrew put out. Have we heard any news on BMI and A Go Go?

Lulu
07-11-2014, 09:02 PM
I wonder what has prompted this to occur?

Sales are up again due to the tour?

I haven't been on iTunes or Amazon lately to check charts but most of the DR/DRATS releases on Hip-O were big sellers so maybe FTG wants to jump on the bandwagon.

skooldem1
07-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Anyone ever hear any rumors of what was left off of WDFFIL? I know we should expect perhaps a 12" mix of Mirror Mirror and Work that Body. That would be two of the bonus tracks. Unless they also include the 45 versions what else can we expect? I am hoping for unreleased tracks.

Lulu
07-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Anyone ever hear any rumors of what was left off of WDFFIL? I know we should expect perhaps a 12" mix of Mirror Mirror and Work that Body. That would be two of the bonus tracks. Unless they also include the 45 versions what else can we expect? I am hoping for unreleased tracks.

Apparently, the rumor is that there are two songs in the can: "Midnight Dancer" and "You Make Me Feel So Good".

soulster
07-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Cool! I'll be buying these! I just hope the mastering is good.

whitesoxx
07-12-2014, 05:00 AM
Yes, finally!!! And these will be released all 5 at the same time, not years in between albums! Sound quality and track selection will most lkely be top notch, the booklets are not as great as Hip-O's, but as I'd given up hope these would ever come out, I don't care :-)

Hmm, 8 bonus tracks? There's the single versions of "Mirror Mirror" and "Work That Body" as well as the "Work That Body" 12" version, but what could the other 5 tracks be??

i hope there's an extended or instrumental version of "Telephone" in the vaults somewhere, one of her best and funkiest tracks from the RCA years in my opinion :-)

djessie
07-12-2014, 07:22 AM
OMG! I can't wait, have all the original CDs and LPs but I will definitely buy all of these.

markdtiller
07-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Yes no RED HOT RHYTHM & BLUES, her last for RCA. There was a B side "I A Me" which was not on the album, plus 7" 12" and remix versions of the singles "Dirty Looks" Shockwaves" and "Mr Lee".

djessie
07-12-2014, 08:46 AM
I hope RHR&B will be re-issued as well - seems weird to exclude the last album...

no_place_like_motown
07-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks for your post, Lulu.

Hopefully "Fight For It" will be on the "Swept Away" expanded CD which was issued as the B-side of "Swept Away" but never included in the original LP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emk7c917EFk

skooldem1
07-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Does anyone know the difference between an Expanded edition and a Deluxe edition? I noticed on their website that Deluxe is usually 2CD's, is that the answer?

RossHolloway
07-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks for your post, Lulu.

Hopefully "Fight For It" will be on the "Swept Away" expanded CD which was issued as the B-side of "Swept Away" but never included in the original LP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emk7c917EFk

First time hearing that song, thanks for posting it.

mowsville
07-12-2014, 10:47 AM
"I Am Me"..was on Silk Electric not Red Hot.

daviddh
07-12-2014, 02:59 PM
yes Deluxe is usually 1 cd while expanded is 2 cds

calvin
07-12-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm looking forward to these!

In terms of bonus tracks, I think FTG did a great job with those Gladys Knight & The Pips releases - plenty of previously unreleased tracks [[I think more than a dozen on "Visions"), single versions, 12-inch mixes, instrumental mixes, promo edits, etc. But of course it all depends on what actually exists.

daviddh
07-12-2014, 07:07 PM
well at least someone is doing something to celebrate the 50th anniversary of WDOLG

whitesoxx
07-12-2014, 08:32 PM
I think "Red Hot" was the first album to appear on the Ross Records imprint which probably means Ms Ross owns [[part of) the rights of the recordings and therefore Sony [[RCA) cannot licence it to a third party without her approval.

soulster
07-12-2014, 09:24 PM
"I Am Me"..was on Silk Electric not Red Hot. It's the only other song on that album I skip, along with "Turn me Over".

soulster
07-12-2014, 09:26 PM
I think "Red Hot" was the first album to appear on the Ross Records imprint which probably means Ms Ross owns [[part of) the rights of the recordings and therefore Sony [[RCA) cannot licence it to a third party without her approval.

I'm too lazy to dig out my original U.S. vinyl copy, but i'm pretty sure the Ross Records imprint is mentioned somewhere on the "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" album jacket.

Lulu
07-12-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm too lazy to dig out my original U.S. vinyl copy, but i'm pretty sure the Ross Records imprint is mentioned somewhere on the "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" album jacket.

Ditto but I do believe it may only be her publishing/production companies. I don't think the imprint was there yet.

djessie
07-13-2014, 07:37 AM
I buy a lot of re-issues but for some reason I don't have any from Funkytown Grooves. Can someone who has releases from this company tell us a little about them, like if the booklets include additional pictures and info? Thanks so much - I am getting really excited about these...

reese
07-13-2014, 08:33 AM
Ditto but I do believe it may only be her publishing/production companies. I don't think the imprint was there yet.

Indeed, WHY DO FOOLS... was the first album to carry a Diana Ross Productions credit. And RED HOT... was the first to carry the Ross Records imprint.

soulster
07-13-2014, 11:12 AM
I buy a lot of re-issues but for some reason I don't have any from Funkytown Grooves. Can someone who has releases from this company tell us a little about them, like if the booklets include additional pictures and info? Thanks so much - I am getting really excited about these... You have to be careful. I understand older CDs by this label bad needledrops. However, some have been redone, like the Aretha Franklin "Freeway Of Love" CD w/bonus tracks. I got the fixed version from tape and it sounds quite good, for an 80s Narada Michael-Walden production. It was remastered by the highly respected Mark Wilder.

I bought two of the Ray Parker Jr. reissues, and "The Other Woman" sounds fantastic. But, "Two Places At The Same Time" sounds incredibly dull and bassy, so I EQ'ed it myself, and now it sounds very good, IMO. That one sounds like a flat transfer, but I can't quite figure out if it's the first generation master, a copy, or what. It was also done by a "name" engineer.

I have read that the now OOP Disco Nights" album by Funky Grooves is still not the correct original album. I'm not sure why no one can seem to get it right. There are zillions of copies of the original album everywhere for reference. I'm glad I didn't waste my money on it. I do fine with my needledrop.

So, I would say that, like bbr, you take your chances.

Yeah, the liner notes are good and extensive.

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
07-14-2014, 12:46 AM
Exciting! Can't wait to find out what the bonus tracks are... I also noticed they're gonna release Martha Reeves The Rest Of My Life as an expanded edition!

Lulu
07-14-2014, 02:01 AM
In non-Motown news, FTG is also releasing Dionne Warwick's No Night So Long and Finder of Lost Loves​ in deluxe 2CD versions!

rovereab
07-14-2014, 03:57 AM
Perhaps the holding back of Red Hot Rhythm & Blues is to enable it to be released with a DVD of the television special that featured some of the album's songs?

Just a hope :)

masterblaster
07-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Great news!! Hope there is an alternate version of "In Your Arms" on Silk Electric. This is by far superior to the Whitney Houston and Teddy Pendergrass version of the song [[Hold Me)and should have been released as a single. I'm sure it would have been a bigger hit for Diana.

daviddh
07-16-2014, 05:38 PM
has a release date been issued as of yet, I heard a rumour as to sept?????anyone heard or read release date info

jobeterob
07-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Yes, someone let us know when these are released; I'm sure these will have significant sales.

vgalindo
07-16-2014, 10:08 PM
I have been dying to know as well. Didn't they say we should have an answer in the middle of this week?

sophisticated_soul
07-17-2014, 12:50 AM
Amazon still has the import "Diana Ross The Complete Motown Collection" scheduled for release on October 14th, 2014. Perhaps FTG will take advantage of that and release the RCA albums at the same time.

lakedistrictlad1
07-17-2014, 03:12 AM
Perhaps the holding back of Red Hot Rhythm & Blues is to enable it to be released with a DVD of the television special that featured some of the album's songs?

Just a hope :)

rovereab - I messaged funkytowngrooves on facebook about 'Red Hot..' - they said it has been delayed as there are licensing problems since some tracks are owned by EMI and some by SONY. So at least it looks like it's on the cards.

marybrewster
07-17-2014, 08:56 AM
rovereab - I messaged funkytowngrooves on facebook about 'Red Hot..' - they said it has been delayed as there are licensing problems since some tracks are owned by EMI and some by SONY. So at least it looks like it's on the cards.

Thanks for the update on RHR&B.

I hope they are abe to expand this; I'd love to finally have "Mr. Lee" on CD.

daviddh
07-17-2014, 09:55 AM
there were rumours that ROSS 83 has several out takes ......SLEEP WITH ME TONIGHT, MAYBE and a few others I cant remember

ejluther
07-17-2014, 11:42 AM
SO happy about these!!!

RossHolloway
07-17-2014, 01:21 PM
I remember back in 1981 Ebony magazine had a cover story on Diana Ross around the time Why Do Fools album was released and Diana Ross said that she recorded about 70 songs for the album.

skooldem1
07-19-2014, 09:58 PM
All of Diana's RCA albums including Red Hot are on their website now. Swept Away, Eaten Alive and Red Hot are listed as deluxe versions with 2 CD's, the rest are expanded releases. I'm curious if this will be accurate. I heard as of last week they were still going through the vaults and still needed to work on an agreement with Sony regarding the Red Hot album. I also heard that so far they found one unreleased track for WDFFIL. Pre-orders, track listing, and details will be on July 23rd.

http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/*-PRE-ORDER-CDs-*-[[Inc-Diana-Ross-Titles)-/58

reese
07-19-2014, 10:04 PM
I remember the song selections for the recent Gladys Knight reissues by the same company being worked on up to the last minute. I wouldn't be surprised for this to happen with these as well.

Lulu
07-19-2014, 10:21 PM
All of Diana's RCA albums including Red Hot are on their website now. Swept Away, Eaten Alive and Red Hot are listed as deluxe versions with 2 CD's, the rest are expanded releases. I'm curious if this will be accurate. I heard as of last week they were still going through the vaults and still needed to work on an agreement with Sony regarding the Red Hot album. I also heard that so far they found one unreleased track for WDFFIL. Pre-orders, track listing, and details will be on July 23rd.

http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/*-PRE-ORDER-CDs-*-[[Inc-Diana-Ross-Titles)-/58

Oh this is delightful. I'm sure they're being bombarded and I guarantee, these will be their biggest sellers!

vgalindo
07-20-2014, 01:42 AM
Wow "Eaten Alive" is going to be a double CD. I hope they have unreleased bonus tracks written and produced by Barry Gibb. This is so awesome. I love this album.

daviddh
07-20-2014, 10:57 AM
I remember the Bee Gees saying that they had written ISLANDS IN THE STREAM for Diana but in the end they went with CHAIN REACTION

Lulu
07-20-2014, 02:43 PM
I hope it's not just the GIBB Demos! Child, we've had those for years!

longtimefan
07-20-2014, 04:11 PM
I hope it's not just the GIBB Demos! Child, we've had those for years!

Can you clarify this, please? Thanks!

skooldem1
07-20-2014, 04:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-pu8Q2Z34A

skooldem1
07-20-2014, 04:20 PM
I agree. No demos. I didn't understand why they included Valerie Simpson's demo for "Remember me" on one of Diana's CD's.

daviddh
07-20-2014, 06:44 PM
the demos of all the Barry Gibb tracks are on iTunes under Barry Gibb. the include Diana, Kenny rogers and streisands demos.....in Gibbs vocals

brothadc
07-20-2014, 08:01 PM
OMG!!!!! Those demos were extremely difficult to listen to, Gibb's voice is irritating as hell! Funny thing is tho, as I was suffering through hearing them, in my mind I kept picturing Mickey Mouse as the one doing the singing!

skooldem1
07-20-2014, 08:06 PM
I read that when he does demos for women, he sings them in his high register.

vgalindo
07-21-2014, 12:48 AM
Lets hope and pray it isn't those demos. I want some unreleased tracks with Diana.

daviddh
07-21-2014, 11:48 AM
I am sure they will Diana extras

longtimefan
07-21-2014, 03:53 PM
It would be hard for me to believe that Barry Gibb would sign off on having demos that he made receive commercial release. By their very nature, demos di not show a performer at his or her peak performance level.

jobeterob
07-21-2014, 09:10 PM
https://www.facebook.com/Funkytowngrooves?fref=nf

ejluther
07-22-2014, 09:53 AM
I enjoyed hearing the Valerie Simpson demo - it showed how things changed and that Diana had her own style with it. Of course, I wouldn't want original demos as extras all the time...

lakedistrictlad1
07-23-2014, 04:26 AM
Ho hum.....so far 3 of the titles now up on Funkytown website contain nothing more than alternate mixes to the album tracks. And I'm not paying out for 'Fight for it'. Shame. I'll pass.

Jaap
07-23-2014, 05:09 AM
Indeed no previously unreleased songs, with the exception of Sweet Soul Music on RHR&B. But it is good to have to different 12 inch versions now finally released!

WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE
1. Why Do Fools Fall In Love
2. Sweet Surrender
3. Mirror,Mirror
4. Endless Love
5. It's Never Too Late
6. Think I'm In Love
7. Sweet Nothings
8. Two Can Make It
9. Work That Body
10. Mirror, Mirror [[7 Inch Mix)
11. Mirror, Mirror [[7 Inch Alternate Version)
12. Work That Body [[7 Inch Mix)
13. Work That Body [[12 Inch Mix)
14. Work That Body [[Extended Mix)
15. Endless Love [[Edited Version)
16. Endless Love [[Vocal Version)
17. Endless Love [[Instrumental)

SILK ELECTRIC
1. Muscles
2. So Close
3. Still in Love
4. Fool for Your Love
5. Turn Me Over
6. Who
7. Love Lies
8. In Your Arms
9. Anywhere You Run To
10. I Am Me
11. Muscles [[Edited Version)
12. Muscles [[12" Version)
13. So Close [[Single Version)

ROSS
1. That's How You Start Over
2. Love Will Make It Right
3. You Do It
4. Pieces of Ice
5. Let's Go Up
6. Love or Loneliness
7. Up Front
8. Girls
9. Piece of Ice [[12" Mix)
10. Pieces of Ice [[12" Instrumental)
11. Pieces of Ice [[7" Mix)
12. Up Front [[7" Mix)
13. Up Front [[Special Club Mix)
14. Up Front [[12" Mix)
15. Let's Go Up [[7" Mix)

SWEPT AWAY
CD 1
1. Missing You
2. Touch by Touch
3. Rescue Me
4. It's Your Move
5. Swept Away
6. Telephone
7. Nobody Makes Me Crazy [[Like You Do)
8. All of You
9. We Are the Children of the World
10. Forever Young
CD 2
1. Swept Away [[12" Long Version)
2. Swept Away [[12" Instrumental)
3. Swept Away [[7" Single Mix)
4. Touch by Touch [[12" Single Mix)
5. Touch by Touch [[12" Instrumental)
6. Touch by Touch [[Alternate Single Mix)
7. Telephone [[Edited Version)
8. Missing You [[7" Single Mix)
9. Fight for It [[7" Single Version)

EATEN ALIVE
CD 1
1. Eaten Alive
2. Oh Teacher
3. Experience
4. Chain Reaction
5. More and More
6. I'm Watching You
7. Love on the Line
8. [[I Love) Being in Love with You
9. Crime of Passion
10. Don't Give Up on Each Other
CD 2
1. Eaten Alive [[Single Mix)
2. Eaten Alive [[Single Mix Instrumental)
3. Eaten Alive [[Hot Extended Dance Mix)
4. Eaten Alive [[12 Inch Instrumental)
5. Experience [[Special Dance Mix)
6. Experience [[Instrumental)
7. Experience [[Single Version)
8. Chain Reaction [[Special Dance Mix)
9. Chain Reaction [[Special Single Mix)

RED HOT RHYTHM AND BLUES
CD1
1. Dirty Looks [[US Album Version)
2. Stranger In Paradise
3. Summertime
4. Shine
5. Tell Me Again
6. Selfish One
7. Cross My Heart
8. There Goes My Baby
9. It’s Hard For Me To Say
10. Shockwaves
11. Mr. Lee [[UK Album Version)
12. Tell Mama [[UK Album Version)
13. Sweet Soul Music [[Previously Unreleased)
CD2
1. Dirty Looks [[Remix Version)
2. Dirty Looks [[Instrumental)
3. Dirty Looks [[Bonus Beats)
4. Dirty Looks [[UK Album Mix)
5. Shockwaves [[12” Remix)
6. Shockwaves [[Instrumental)
7. Shockwaves [[7” Remix)
8. Mr. Lee [[Swing Mix)
9. Mr. Lee [[Rare Groove Version)

alanbill1074
07-23-2014, 06:25 AM
I for one am very happy with these. Red Hot has been subsequently revised to include the b-side version of I Am Me.

I expect that Diana's contract with RCA made inclusion of any unreleased material extremely challenging, so I'm happy that there's at least an effort being made to include something "new", and there's an unreleased track from Red Hot too.

In fact I only spot 1 omission across all the titles - The Swing Beat 7" Mix of Mr. Lee.

Jaap
07-23-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm happy that there's at least an effort being made to include something "new", and there's an unreleased track from Red Hot too.

I totally agree. Love to have those 12 inches finally officially released. Some of the 12 inches are actually better than the album tracks [[Work That Body, Muscles, Pieces of Ice, Swept Away). The single of Shockwaves is a better mix than the album track [[although I still think it is a rather silly song]. Would have been nice if the alleged 12-inch version of Fool For Your Love would have been included. Great to have Sweet Soul Music though... always thought it was weird that it was not included in the album, while used in the television special.

longtimefan
07-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Hugely disappointing nearly total lack of unreleased material. To each his own, but full discs of single mixes, edited versions, instrumentals, and 12" versions is of very minor entertainment value to me.

I realize that some longtime fans enjoy collecting all of these single and 12" versions -- great for them! However, it seems to me that this is a very small audience.

I will say that the price point for these CDs is excellent ... only $2 more for an extra disc that I will listen to once. :-)

Twofers of the remastered six albums would have been more appealing to me.

daviddh
07-23-2014, 09:17 AM
longtimefan, I totally agree. for me , disappointing. only one unreleased track. some of the extended mixs are good such as CHAIN REACTION but this is not what I was hoping for. but glad for those who want the dance mixs
was the extra track n Red Hot In the tv special

reese
07-23-2014, 09:45 AM
This lineup is about what I expected. I can't say that I'm disappointed because I didn't think that there was much unreleased material from the RCA days. There was a story going around in 1982 that Diana was doing some work with Michael McDonald. I had hoped that it might have been true, but I guess not. Diana probably learned from all the time and $$ given to the tons of Motown recordings of hers that went unreleased.

skooldem1
07-23-2014, 09:48 AM
They said recently that they were still going through the masters. It should be noted that for all of these releases they say:

Track listing's are correct at time of Pre-Order release and could be subject to change.

Due to the finding's of Extra Bonus Material in the Re-Master process, please keep a look out on our website or on our Facebook page, for future info.

longtimefan
07-23-2014, 09:50 AM
longtimefan, I totally agree. for me , disappointing. only one unreleased track. some of the extended mixs are good such as CHAIN REACTION but this is not what I was hoping for. but glad for those who want the dance mixs
was the extra track n Red Hot In the tv special

Yes, SWEET SOUL MUSIC was in that TV special. A fun track!!!!

Also, is it me or is it quite unusual to advertise preorders with the caveat that they will add additional tracks before release dates "if" they discover them?

RossHolloway
07-23-2014, 09:50 AM
I'm extremely disappointed with these releases.

carlo
07-23-2014, 09:52 AM
I pre-ordered all six this morning and looking forward to hearing these albums with remastered sound and bonus tracks! Very excited to have "Fight For It" and "Sweet Soul Music" on CD. Hopefully they will add more unreleased tracks, should they happen to discover any. I think they have done this before with their releases, so it all comes down to what kind of master tapes Sony gave them and what's on them...and no one really knows until they play them. I hope the 12" remixes and 7" versions will not be direct transfers from vinyl.

Jaap
07-23-2014, 10:18 AM
There was a story going around in 1982 that Diana was doing some work with Michael McDonald. I had hoped that it might have been true, but I guess not.
I always assumed that resulted in That's How You Start Over, as Michael McDonald wrote the song and is one of the musicians. Love that track...

reese
07-23-2014, 10:27 AM
I always assumed that resulted in That's How You Start Over, as Michael McDonald wrote the song and is one of the musicians. Love that track...

I thought of that as well. But the story I read made it sound as if it was going to be a big collaboration, not just one song. I read this before SILK ELECTRIC was released.

carlo
07-23-2014, 10:37 AM
We Are the Children should have remained unreleased. lol.

mowsville
07-23-2014, 10:48 AM
We Are the Children should never have been recorded let alone unreleased.

marybrewster
07-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Although I am disappointed in the track listings, I am hooting and hollering that at least we are getting some physical product on Diana Ross. I applaud FunkyTownGrooves for at leats making the effort, and doing it at an affordable price! Will I pick these up? I haven't ordered any yet, but certainly will over time to augment my collection.

On a different note, did anyone pick up "Black Magic" [[Vandellas) or "The Supremes 1975" [[Supremes) from Dusty Groove? These were straight releases [[no bonuses) that I was very excited about, until I saw the price: $22.99 each. I guess we have to be careful what we wish for; excited that it's on disc, but can you say price gauging? Especially when most of their other releases are in the $13.99 range. Yet, I still will pick these up [[once they are back in stock!)

And not to beat a dead horse, but how come these small companies can release physical product, when others have gone digital?

whitesoxx
07-23-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm happy, too. More unreleased tracks would have been nice, but at least we get all the single and 12" mixes that were ever released. I was afraid they would not have been able to licence the European-only mixes like "Up Front", so I am glad they are going to be included.

But even better than having all the extra tracks is the fact that I am confident, in view of FTGs track record, that the orignal albums will sound better than ever. I placed my order for all six titles straight away.

whitesoxx
07-23-2014, 11:21 AM
And not to beat a dead horse, but how come these small companies can release physical product, when others have gone digital?

My sentiment exactly!

jobeterob
07-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Agree with Mary. If they can come up with a few more Sweet Soul Music style cuts, they'll get some significantly greater sales too.

Great to see this.

sophisticated_soul
07-23-2014, 11:24 AM
I pre-ordered all six this morning and looking forward to hearing these albums with remastered sound and bonus tracks! Very excited to have "Fight For It" and "Sweet Soul Music" on CD. Hopefully they will add more unreleased tracks, should they happen to discover any. I think they have done this before with their releases, so it all comes down to what kind of master tapes Sony gave them and what's on them...and no one really knows until they play them. I hope the 12" remixes and 7" versions will not be direct transfers from vinyl.

Ditto Carlo. I just ordered all six too. So glad they are physical releases.:)

thommg
07-23-2014, 11:27 AM
I wonder if the mixes on Silk Electric will be touched. I always disliked that album because I thought the mixes were so bad.

djessie
07-23-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm happy, will be ordering all of them! Of course it would have been nice to get more unreleased tracks [[if there are any), but the fact that these are even coming out, remastered and expanded is enough for me!

vgalindo
07-23-2014, 12:40 PM
They said recently that they were still going through the masters. It should be noted that for all of these releases they say:

Track listing's are correct at time of Pre-Order release and could be subject to change.

Due to the finding's of Extra Bonus Material in the Re-Master process, please keep a look out on our website or on our Facebook page, for future info.

I remember them doing this with the Gladys Knight and the Pips cds. They were adding tracks until the last minute. They even delayed the release date on a few of them to add more tracks.
I am also very disappointed. I really wanted a lot of unreleased tracks. Most of the Gladys Knight CDs had unreleased tracks.

longtimefan
07-23-2014, 03:43 PM
To be clear, I am happy to have these six CDs reissued and remastered. It is the advertisement and promotion that has disappointed me. I would have been more pleased if they had stated that "these deluxe and expanded additions focus on remixes and alternate version as well as instrumental versions of the actual album tracks."

That way, buyers -- especially for longtime fans -- would not have felt the pinch of disappointment in the same way. Let's be honest: Having FIGHT FOR IT and SWEET SOUL MUSIC as two unreleased tracks spread over nine full disks of music is nothing to jump up-and-down about.

Mama always said: "It's not always what you do, but how you describe it that causes issues!! "

p.s. Mama also said " You can't hurry love,"
But that's another story! LOL

vgalindo
07-23-2014, 04:24 PM
To be clear, I am happy to have these six CDs reissued and remastered. It is the advertisement and promotion that has disappointed me. I would have been more pleased if they had stated that "these deluxe and expanded additions focus on remixes and alternate version as well as instrumental versions of the actual album tracks."

That way, buyers -- especially for longtime fans -- would not have felt the pinch of disappointment in the same way. Let's be honest: Having FIGHT FOR IT and SWEET SOUL MUSIC as two unreleased tracks spread over nine full disks of music is nothing to jump up-and-down about.

Mama always said: "It's not always what you do, but how you describe it that causes issues!! "

p.s. Mama also said " You can't hurry love,"
But that's another story! LOL

I agree 100 % I am happy to have all these remastered but also very disappointed at almost no unreleased tracks. I could hardly wait for the track listing and now I am not too excited.

Lulu
07-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Diana Ross fans sho 'am hard to please! Remember when Let The Music Play​ came out? Yikes!

daviddh
07-23-2014, 06:42 PM
i am glad they are coming out, but just a bit disappointed that the ROSS 83 CD didn't have the lost tracks ,MAYBE,SLEEP WITH ME TONIGHT,FULL MOON

ejluther
07-23-2014, 10:18 PM
I just preordered my 6 CDs - can't wait!

lakedistrictlad1
07-24-2014, 04:06 AM
2 points from me -

1. Diana sang 'You've got what it takes' with Billy Dee on 'Red Hot...' to a pre-recorded track [[it was pretty obvious). I wonder why this isn't on the expanded cd? I would have been tempted to buy if it had.

2. I think i'm repeating other comments but how can Funkytown issue all these cd's of 12" mixes etc [[which - let's face it - have limited appeal) and a really important piece of Diana's discography only gets to go digital [[you know the one I mean)
I wish it had been the other way around!!

alanbill1074
07-24-2014, 05:41 AM
2 points from me -

1. Diana sang 'You've got what it takes' with Billy Dee on 'Red Hot...' to a pre-recorded track [[it was pretty obvious). I wonder why this isn't on the expanded cd? I would have been tempted to buy if it had.

2. I think i'm repeating other comments but how can Funkytown issue all these cd's of 12" mixes etc [[which - let's face it - have limited appeal) and a really important piece of Diana's discography only gets to go digital [[you know the one I mean)
I wish it had been the other way around!!

1. Perhaps it no longer exists? Archives have gaps all the time. Maybe as it is a duet it makes it much more complicated as it wasn't recorded for physical release, only for broadcast, so there would be contractual issues.

2. I'm glad they aren't the other way round! Her RCA period is my favourite and many of her younger fans feel the same. Had it not been for her RCA period I wouldn't be on this board, or interested in any other Motown acts. Diana's post Motown era led me to Motown in the wider sense through discovering her history.

It would be nice to get both projects physically but for me this is best case scenario.

Jaap
07-24-2014, 06:48 AM
Although I don't know whether or not unreleased tracks from the RCA years exist, I was not surprised to see that, with the exception of Sweet Soul Music, none are included. In the late 1990s, a longer track list of ROSS was listed on [[I think) Yahoo that indeed included Maybe, Sleep With Me Tonight, and Full Moon, but I've never come across any reports [[or gossip) that Ross actually recorded these [[and Taraborrelli doesn't name them in the discography in his last book -- and he seems quite knowledgable on the unreleased tracks). I've read somewhere else years ago that Silk Electric consisted mostly of "left overs" from WDFFIL. But perhaps others have more explicit info about those unreleased tracks that may be there or not...

alanbill1074
07-24-2014, 06:59 AM
There's likely not very much. Motown went OTT with sessions, and it's such an expensive way to run a business. Diana I would imagine wasn't into that and chose the songs she wanted to do without spending endless days and many thousands of unecessary dollars recording material not to be used.

She was hardly available for the Eaten Alive sessions, so probably not much there. Red Hot R&B produced a lot of songs, and I have heard Try A Little Tenderness mentioned, but perhaps it was never finished. I expect for the first couple of albums, there's not much at all, otherwise why include a filler like Turn Me Over?

All Of You was recorded in 1982 and held over for some reason, and one track was bumped from Swept Away for it, but ultimately released, so probably not much there either. The only album I can visualise any potential outtakes for is Ross, since Katz was hired to find the songs too, and only got half the album, so perhaps his other material was bumped. Steely Dans albums were short on tracks though so again, no real evidence for this.

I heard a rumour that Maybe was an oldie and was produced by Tom Dowd in 1983. Could be fan fiction, not sure.

Jaap
07-24-2014, 09:56 AM
According to Taraborrelli: "One track that Tom Dowd cut was was excited about having Diana record was 'Try a Little Tenderness'. However, he said that she was not happy with the production and never finished recording the vocal."

superlou
07-24-2014, 01:42 PM
You can see the track listing on Second Disc.

http://theseconddisc.com/2014/07/23/we-want-muscles-and-other-diana-ross-albums-for-rca-expanded-by-funkytown-grooves/#more-25871

Lulu
07-24-2014, 09:45 PM
A quick update from FTG:

BREAKING NEWS FROM MICHAEL PATRICK COLEMAN REGARDING THE RCA RE-ISSUES!!!! "GREAT news if you're interested in the Funky Town Grooves reissues of our girl's RCA albums. I've secured us an additional 10% off of the already discounted pre-order price, valid until August 30th. Add the code ROSS10 at the basket stage of the preorder process on funkytowngrooves.com. I just ordered mine, and it works. ENJOY! SPREADIN' LOVE!"
Thank you Michael Patrick Coleman

longtimefan
07-24-2014, 09:49 PM
A quick update from FTG:

BREAKING NEWS FROM MICHAEL PATRICK COLEMAN REGARDING THE RCA RE-ISSUES!!!! "GREAT news if you're interested in the Funky Town Grooves reissues of our girl's RCA albums. I've secured us an additional 10% off of the already discounted pre-order price, valid until August 30th. Add the code ROSS10 at the basket stage of the preorder process on funkytowngrooves.com. I just ordered mine, and it works. ENJOY! SPREADIN' LOVE!"
Thank you Michael Patrick Coleman

So the people who already preordered loose out?

Lulu
07-24-2014, 09:52 PM
So the people who already preordered loose out?

I'd go ahead and shoot them a message to clarify.

skooldem1
07-24-2014, 10:05 PM
Endless Love [[Vocal) I wonder what exactly that means. There is an instrumental version and then the "vocal" version. Is it as simple as it may seem? One track instrumental and the other track acapella? Or could it be a version with just a piano? Time will tell I guess.

Lulu
07-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Endless Love [[Vocal) I wonder what exactly that means. There is an instrumental version and then the "vocal" version. Is it as simple as it may seem? One track instrumental and the other track acapella? Or could it be a version with just a piano? Time will tell I guess.

Haven't you heard? It's Lulu's "Demo" recording of the song!

ejluther
07-25-2014, 10:15 AM
I just emailed Funky Grooves about applying ROSS10 to existing orders and will let you all know what I find out...

ETA: Just got this answer back: "We will refund the 10% no problem" so if you've preordered them just email them and ask for the ROSS10 discount...

warehserat2911
07-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the tip ejluther. I just emailed them and am getting the discount also.

carlo
07-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks guys for the heads up in regards to the discount. I also sent them an e-mail.

sophisticated_soul
07-25-2014, 06:50 PM
Yes, thank you very much for the tip. I have just sent an e-mail requesting the additional discount. This deal keeps getting better and better.:)

ejluther
07-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Well, I haven't gotten the refund yet but will post when I do...

longtimefan
07-27-2014, 08:53 AM
An interesting take on FIGHT FOR IT! Glad to have it in CD at last.
http://dianarossproject.wordpress.com/2012/11/25/fight-for-it-1984/

ejluther
07-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Just got my 10% back via Paypal - thanks to Lulu for telling us about ROSS10!

mike_sku
07-30-2014, 08:00 PM
So happy these will be re-released in expanded and deluxe editions; however, I was hoping for more unreleased tracks. Surely there must be some in those RCA vaults!

jobeterob
07-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Does anyone have an actual CD in their hands yet? Or are we still waiting for the actual release date? Is that a September 1 affair?

milven
07-31-2014, 02:03 PM
According to an e-mail that I just received, they are coming out September 29th. If you want to see bonus tracks, titles etc.. check out this link

http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Diana%20Ross%20-%20in%20progress&utm_content=Diana%20Ross%20-%20in%20progress+CID_2e65e03a8e069dae86b8aa15334a4 fa1&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software

noel181
08-03-2014, 10:38 AM
I just sent an email to funkytowngrooves and suggested that they add 2 more tracks to Red Hot Rhythm And Blues. Mr. Lee [[Edit) which appeared on the UK single, and Ninety-Nine And A Half Just Won't Do which has only appeared on her Boxset.

djessie
08-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Good thinking noel181!

I pre-ordered all six over the weekend [[with the 10% discount), can't wait to receive them!

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
08-28-2014, 01:23 AM
They have sound samples for all 6 albums now! :cool:

http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/!-PRE-ORDER-CDs-!-%28Inc-Diana-Ross-Titles%29-/58

vgalindo
08-29-2014, 03:42 AM
Good thinking noel181!

I pre-ordered all six over the weekend [[with the 10% discount), can't wait to receive them!
I too just ordered all 6 and got the 10% discount. Can't wait.. Early Xmas present for me!

jobeterob
10-18-2014, 10:46 PM
Home Entertainment & News Funky Town Grooves Remasters Classic Albums by Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin, Dionne Warwick & Others
Funky Town Grooves Remasters Classic Albums by Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin, Dionne Warwick & Others
Thursday, 09 October 2014 14:39
by Michael P. Coleman

In the liner notes to Diana Ross' 1984 album Swept Away, which has just been rereleased by Funky Town Grooves, Ross wrote "I want to...encourage you to write to me, your feelings and thoughts."

She doesn't have to ask ME twice.

"Dear Miss Ross,

Funky Town Grooves has done an INCREDIBLE job of restoring and remastering all six of your RCA albums from the 1980s. They have been expanded to include extended mixes, instrumental tracks, and single mixes, most of which haven't been heard in years. Three of your albums have been released as two disc sets.

As you originally released these albums - Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Silk Electric, Ross, Swept Away, Eaten Alive, and Red Hot Rhythm & Blues) at the dawn of digital recordings, the original releases were sonically lacking. In every case, these albums sound better than they ever have. Your cover art has been meticulously restored, and each release features a new essay along with chart positions for each of your singles.

Highlights to the discs include extended 12" mixes of "Work That Body", "Muscles", "Pieces Of Ice", "Swept Away", "Touch By Touch", "Eaten Alive", "Chain Reaction", and "Dirty Looks"; the rare "Fight For It"; your experimental forays into a variety of genres including reggae and rock; and the previously unreleased "Sweet Soul Music" from your 1987 ABC TV special.

Creatively, your six RCA albums are among the most ambitious of your entire career. In addition to the aforementioned, your Eaten Alive album is among your best, with "Oh, Teacher" featuring one of the sexiest vocal performances in the history of recorded music, several stirring ballads like "Experience" and "More & More", and your international smash "Chain Reaction". It is also a delight to revisit your collaborations with Michael Jackson, Luther Vandross, Lionel Richie, Ray Parker, Jr. and other legends over the course of your years with RCA.

Funky Town Grooves has done an excellent job with these rereleases, and I just thought you'd want to know. Also, please congratulate your son, Evan, for me on his recent wedding. I'm sure my invitation just got lost in the mail.

My Endless Love,

Michael"

As I had a little time on my hands awaiting Ross' reply, I thought I'd reach out to the folks at Funky Town Grooves. They say the Ross CDs are available for a limited time, and that other albums from a couple of other R & B divas are on the horizon.

"We've just started accepting preorders for three of eight Dionne Warwick albums that we're releasing: No Night So Long, How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye? [[produced by Luther Vandross), and Finder Of Lost Loves," said Craig Turnbull, Marketing Manager for Funky Town Grooves. Turnbull told me that all three will be expanded editions, as well, along with two Manhattans albums [[There's No Good In Goodbye and After Midnight). Down the pike, the label will be releasing expanded versions of two classic Aretha Franklin albums, 1986's Aretha [[featuring her #1 duet with George Michael, "I Knew You Were Waiting For Me"), and Through The Storm.

For now, we have the Ross collection to enjoy. Trust me: there's no bad place to start. I'm currently stuck on Diana's 1981 RCA debut, featuring her stirring solo take on "Endless Love". I KNOW she won't mind, because I'll be a fool for her...

Diana Ross' RCA collection, the two new Manhattans rereleases, and a host of other treasures are in stock at www.funkytowngrooves.com, where you can also pre-order the first of the Dionne Warwick re-releases, at promotional prices. The Warwick albums will be released November 3rd.

Michael P. Coleman is a Sacramento-based freelance writer. Catch up to him at michaelpcoleman.com, mikelsmindseye@me.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , or on Twitter: @ColemanMichaelP

drlorne
10-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Thanks Jobeterob...that was cute. Picking mine up at the U.S. border today . Looking forward to No Night So Long...one of my favourite songs.

sansradio
10-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Great news about Dionne and Ree's upcoming releases!