PDA

View Full Version : Stevie at the Beach lp

test

rrussi
07-10-2014, 06:07 PM
In the most recent AARP Bulletin, July-August 2014, there is a page titled "A Boomer's Guide to Surf Music". It shows a photo of Little Stevie Wonder with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello during the filming of either movie, Muscle Beach Party or Bikini Beach, in which Stevie did appear as himself performing. However, even though it credits his appearance in both films, which frankly were the only good thing about those two movies, it says "his Motown surf-tune album Stevie at the Beach was pretty much a flop". I had this lp and really liked it, at least the vocal side. One side was instrumental featuring standards like Red Sails in the Sunset and Stevie playing the harmonica. That side didn't get played much, but I definitely liked the vocal side with Castles In The Sand [[which I believe had been a single a few years earlier), Happy Street, Beach Stomp, Party at the Beach house, etc.
Anyone else?

RossHolloway
07-10-2014, 06:39 PM
I've never heard the entire lp, but I do like the track Happy Street.

reese
07-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Just this morning, I caught a bit of Stevie in MUSCLE BEACH PARTY. They were showing it on The Works channel.

rrussi
07-10-2014, 08:47 PM
I did meet Guy Hemric, one of the writers of Happy Street. He was living here in Central Florida, and he wrote a lot of songs for those movies.

thomas96
07-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Some are great, some are very hard to listen to all the way through. Clearly very talented on the harp though.

marv2
07-11-2014, 12:54 AM
In the most recent AARP Bulletin, July-August 2014, there is a page titled "A Boomer's Guide to Surf Music". It shows a photo of Little Stevie Wonder with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello during the filming of either movie, Muscle Beach Party or Bikini Beach, in which Stevie did appear as himself performing. However, even though it credits his appearance in both films, which frankly were the only good thing about those two movies, it says "his Motown surf-tune album Stevie at the Beach was pretty much a flop". I had this lp and really liked it, at least the vocal side. One side was instrumental featuring standards like Red Sails in the Sunset and Stevie playing the harmonica. That side didn't get played much, but I definitely liked the vocal side with Castles In The Sand [[which I believe had been a single a few years earlier), Happy Street, Beach Stomp, Party at the Beach house, etc.
Anyone else?

I had this album [[still have it) and enjoyed it a lot as a kid.