Methuselah2
07-07-2014, 03:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawhuWLsxxk

From OWN TV, posted on YouTube.

Lulu
07-07-2014, 05:05 PM

I just wanted to highlight that, at the end of the clip, Sheryl does mention that they were able to reconnect and become friendly in more recent years talking about their children, etc.

marv2
07-07-2014, 11:15 PM

Wow, she was really nasty to Sheryl Lee Ralph. Sheryl is a very classy lady.

Jimi LaLumia
07-08-2014, 05:17 AM
was she supposed to warmly embrace her and say 'thanks for making me look like a total bitch in a big Hollywood movie"?...LOL.. afterwards, according to Ralph, things became good between them..

bradsupremes
07-08-2014, 07:52 AM
was she supposed to warmly embrace her and say 'thanks for making me look like a total bitch in a big Hollywood movie"?...LOL.. afterwards, according to Ralph, things became good between them..

Well you're mistaken as Sheryl Lee Ralph wasn't in the film version. And if anyone came out looking bad from "Dreamgirls," it was Berry Gordy, not Diana Ross.

ejluther
07-08-2014, 08:12 AM
I've never seen the play but, in the movie, the Diana Ross character as portrayed by Beyonce certainly comes off as a pawn rather than a bitch. What was the character like in the original production? Did anyone here see it?

stephanie
07-08-2014, 11:46 AM
What is so funny about all of this is that Motown and Diana along with others denied that Dreamgirls was the story of the Supremes. Yet they all got huffy about it when the movie and the play came out. Diana was upset and refused to go see something that she claims was not about her. Smokey goes on TV asking that Berry deserves an apology when the film comes out yet its not about the Supremes or Motown.

Dreamgirls could have been any girl group the play anyway. When the movie came out they used almost exact replicas of the Supremes album covers! Mary Wilson goes to see it and she loves it although she says it could have been their story but its not. She uses the moniker for her book [[which I didnt have a problem with). Interesting.

ejluther
07-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Those LP covers were great!
http://observatory.designobserver.com/media/images/dream_525_lead.jpg
http://www.ericrosenbergdesign.com/files/gimgs/4_dg1970slps.jpg

reese
07-08-2014, 02:19 PM
I guess Diana's dismay was only with Sheryl Lee Ralph and her portrayal. At the time, Jennifer Holliday gave an interview with JET where she said that Diana sent her a congratulatory telegram saying something like "Dreams do come true". Jennifer went on to say that she hoped Diana would visit her backstage.

marybrewster
07-08-2014, 02:27 PM
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but at one time, when "Dreamgirls" [[the play) came out, Motown EMBRACED it. This was at a time when Smokey was still high on the food chain in the comapny.

I have a poster, put out by Motown, featuring several Supremes records and tapes [[that tells you how old it is) that eludes to the fact that the "Dream Girls" are the Supremes. I don't remember the exact wording, but it's obvious Motown was trying to ride on the bandwagon.

So for Smokey to come out years later and say that the movie was stealing Motown's "legacy" is ridiculous. What's good for the goose, right?

And speaking of Smoke, he should talk about "stealing legacy". What exactly is he trying to do with his ex-wife Claudette?

I think all that plastic surgery of his did a number on his head.

reese
07-08-2014, 02:54 PM
When FAREWELL was re-released as CAPTURED LIVE ON STAGE, it had a sticker on it saying something like "The Original Dreamgirls?"

But the movie went overboard playing up the Motown connection, with the album covers, the Motown 25-like tv special, Curtis being a record company owner as opposed to just a manager, and including an act similar to the Jackson 5. Even down to having an album of MLK speeches being released. I don't remember any of that being in the original musical.

marv2
07-08-2014, 05:35 PM
I guess Diana's dismay was only with Sheryl Lee Ralph and her portrayal. At the time, Jennifer Holliday gave an interview with JET where she said that Diana sent her a congratulatory telegram saying something like "Dreams do come true". Jennifer went on to say that she hoped Diana would visit her backstage.

That only happened because Diana Ross' "best friend", Suzanne DePasse was managing Jennifer Holliday.

Lulu
07-08-2014, 06:14 PM
That only happened because Diana Ross' "best friend", Suzanne DePasse was managing Jennifer Holliday.

Well, at least they are "friends". We know how fleetingly "friends" are mentioned on SD. Your "friendship" with Mary Wilson is about as legit as mine with Casper The Ghost.

bradsupremes
07-08-2014, 06:41 PM
In the stage version, Deena is portrayed at first as a girl excited about the future, yet unsure of her own potential. Once she's thrown into the spotlight she embraces her stardom and diva attitude, but never compromises her compassion or heart. She still cares very much about her group members and Curtis. If anyone comes off as a bitch it's Effie in act one.

jobeterob
07-08-2014, 07:16 PM
It's a bit odd that quite a few Motown people [[Diana excepted) now seem to want to distance themselves from whatever Dreamgirsl was. Mary always says it cannot be their story, she knows, because she didn't get paid. Berry threated to sue them. And Smokey kicks their ass and whines about it whenever he gets the chance. And as usual, Diana says nothing.

I love how it always seems so important to let people know that Diana once "talked" to you. Who the heck cares that once or twice Diana and Sheryl Ralph talked? I wonder if Diana remembers or cares. And whole books are written about what people "said" or "thought" about Diana.

Despite being a star, she is only one person. Is it that important that you have to let everyone know that you ONCE TALKED to her? Or she talked to you?

Lulu
07-08-2014, 07:32 PM
It's a bit odd that quite a few Motown people [[Diana excepted) now seem to want to distance themselves from whatever Dreamgirsl was. Mary always says it cannot be their story, she knows, because she didn't get paid. Berry threated to sue them. And Smokey kicks their ass and whines about it whenever he gets the chance. And as usual, Diana says nothing.

I love how it always seems so important to let people know that Diana once "talked" to you. Who the heck cares that once or twice Diana and Sheryl Ralph talked? I wonder if Diana remembers or cares. And whole books are written about what people "said" or "thought" about Diana.

Despite being a star, she is only one person. Is it that important that you have to let everyone know that you ONCE TALKED to her? Or she talked to you?

OR create multiple online aliases to let everyone know [[or not) that you were once KICKED OUT of her concert and you've never let it go!

Crystaledwards
07-08-2014, 07:33 PM

I do wish you would stop being so loyal to Motown Records and kindly share how Suzanne de Passe coerced Diana Ross into sending Jennifer Holliday a halfhearted and obviously insincere telegram during the original Broadway run of Dreamgirls.

I hold your steadfast discretion in the highest veneration.

CE

Lulu
07-08-2014, 07:35 PM
I do wish you would stop being so loyal to Motown Records and kindly share how Suzanne de Passe coerced Diana Ross into sending Jennifer Holliday a halfhearted and obviously insincere telegram during the original Broadway run of Dreamgirls.

CE

Oh, it's already been told by another Bitter Betty named J. Randy...this is nothing more than a regurgitation!

skooldem1
07-08-2014, 07:35 PM
I saw this on TV. There was a little more said. She talked about the Supreme's, they showed quite a few pictures of them and Diana. She said that The Supreme's were her favorite girl group from that era.

Lulu
07-08-2014, 07:37 PM
I saw this on TV. There was a little more said. She talked about the Supreme's, they showed quite a few pictures of them and Diana. She said that The Supreme's were her favorite girl group from that era.

Exactly...and they reconnected in recent years and shared tales of motherhood which Sheryl mentions in this clip. Unfortunately, the trolls focus on some "run in" that happened 33 years ago!

milven
07-08-2014, 08:15 PM
....Mary always says it cannot be their story, she knows, because she didn't get paid. ..

She may have not been paid by the original Broadway production, but she used the shows publicity to promote herself. And after a very successful six year Broadway run, Mary decided to name her book after the play to continue to cash in on its fame. I remember some critics saying that she would have been better served if she had titled the book DIANA DEAREST.

Bokiluis
07-08-2014, 09:47 PM
However it you attended the preview week of the movie, when it opened in several big cities including San Francisco, in the opening pages of the souvenir booklet....the producers wrote an apology to Mr. Gordy and came clean that, at least the movie, paid homage to The Supremes and Motown.
i think Diana was conflicted about the musical. At the opening day of the Central Park concert, of course, she did "Family" a few months after the musical had opened. The New York audience was pleasantly surprised. Though Diana claimed to have never seen the musical, I sense that she did. If you recall, 1983 was the height of negative press including the book Mary wrote.
it did make me sad that Diana conflated Sheryl Lee Ralph's performance with reality. But she is only human. Put yourself in her place, and maybe you could understand how she felt. Then again, considering the atmosphere here at times, maybe not. I cannot recall what I did see, but, I recall that Diana did finally make peace with Sheryl. It was unfair to Sheryl. But again Diana is only human.
Time has a way of mellowing people and situations out, I trust that this has indeed happen in this case. I loved "Dreamgirls" the musical and was prepared for a really poor character portrayal. It wasn't.
At Pride before the movie opened, they gave out tee-shirts with the mock album covers. I am glad that I have a couple of them.

Bokiluis
07-08-2014, 10:01 PM

CE Ms. Crystaledwards

Though your comment was not directed at me, I have to say proudly I will always be loyal to Motown Records. I am not in denial, of course, things weren't always perfect. The entertainment industry is notorious for some unscrupulous practices. But, I prefer to look at the big picture. For most of my life, Motown Records has brought me endless hours of joy.....still to this day. I am proud as a person of color for what Mr. Gordy and his vision contributed to the world. Call me a Motown apologist. Few things in this world are ever perfect. My affection and admiration for Mr. Gordy and Motown is endless. [[Is everything/everyone you love and care for....perfect?).

Crystaledwards
07-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Ms. Crystaledwards

Though your comment was not directed at me, I have to say proudly I will always be loyal to Motown Records. I am not in denial, of course, things weren't always perfect. The entertainment industry is notorious for some unscrupulous practices. But, I prefer to look at the big picture. For most of my life, Motown Records has brought me endless hours of joy.....still to this day. I am proud as a person of color for what Mr. Gordy and his vision contributed to the world. Call me a Motown apologist. Few things in this world are ever perfect. My affection and admiration for Mr. Gordy and Motown is endless. [[Is everything/everyone you love and care for....perfect?).

You sent me a private message on Sunday. I tried to respond tonight but your inbox is full so I will post here what I was going to ask you in a message.

Why are you writing to me? Do I know you? Have we met?

Please clarify.

CE

Lulu
07-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Ms. Crystaledwards

She was being sarcastic! :cool:

Bokiluis
07-09-2014, 01:24 AM
It totally baffles me why people have to be so unnecessarily rude and sarcastic. It gets really old to constantly read negative things about Mr. Gordy, Motown and their respective former artists. Sure, I could just as well ignore them and move on.......but a doesn't a little kindness and being polite make for a little more harmonious environment? But what do I know.........not much..... because the older I get, I have to acknowledge how little I do know and understand. I thought music was suppose to touch, move and inspire our souls, hearts and minds.

Lulu
07-09-2014, 01:28 AM
It totally baffles me why people have to be so unnecessarily rude and sarcastic. It gets really old to constantly read negative things about Mr. Gordy, Motown and their respective former artists. Sure, I could just as well ignore them and move on.......but a doesn't a little kindness and being polite make for a little more harmonious environment? But what do I know.........not much..... because the older I get, I have to acknowledge how little I do know and understand. I thought music was suppose to touch, move and inspire our souls, hearts and minds.

The sarcasm wasn't directed at Mr. Gordy OR Motown. It was directed at the same numbnut who continually professes his love for the label and DETROIT yet has no issue talking smack about the King, the Queen and apparently NOW the most successful executive here, on YouTube, in his "Mary Wilson" Yahoo! group or any other outlet where the five people in the solar system who agree with him will post.

BTW, you still need to clean out that Inbox!

marv2
07-09-2014, 06:00 AM
Well, at least they are "friends". We know how fleetingly "friends" are mentioned on SD. Your "friendship" with Mary Wilson is about as legit as mine with Casper The Ghost.

You don't know me or Mary. So shut up you complete stranger.

jobeterob
07-09-2014, 07:53 AM
You don't know me or Mary. So shut up you complete stranger.

Polite too!!!

smark21
07-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Polite too!!!

Stop being sarcastic or you will upset bokiluis who admittedly isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Bokiluis
07-09-2014, 08:24 AM
The sarcasm wasn't directed at Mr. Gordy OR Motown. It was directed at the same numbnut who continually professes his love for the label and DETROIT yet has no issue talking smack about the King, the Queen and apparently NOW the most successful executive here, on YouTube, in his "Mary Wilson" Yahoo! group or any other outlet where the five people in the solar system who agree with him will post.

BTW, you still need to clean out that Inbox!

Oh I think understood that. I was just making a general comment about visiting this forum. It's such a great place to find out breaking news......yet, it rarely fails that there is some verbal altercation taking place. I've been a member of other forums where it is just not tolerated. And though tempting it may be, even have to monitor myself.....just in general, I just wished you didn't have to peep around the corner to avoid a virtual verbal street fight.
i don't know what I am doing wrong with my private messages because I thought it was cleaned out....but, I just got another message. I'll take it as a sign to return to being a silent, infrequent visitor [[smile).

supremester
07-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Marv, you don't know if Lulu is BFFs with Mary or not - why make statements such as that silliness?? Do you know that I have supped with Mary Wilson?? There are things in the world even you don't know - those wild statements of yours full of unfounded facts need to be checked, Boo - or, to speak in the vernacular of the peasantry, shut up about that which don't know.

Lulu
07-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Marv, you don't know if Lulu is BFFs with Mary or not - why make statements such as that silliness?? Do you know that I have supped with Mary Wilson?? There are things in the world even you don't know - those wild statements of yours full of unfounded facts need to be checked, Boo - or, to speak in the vernacular of the peasantry, shut up about that which don't know.

Mary finds his postings crude and disgusting. This I know firsthand! If she cared any more, she'd file a restraining order! Hell, we could all get him for slander and libel!

supremester
07-09-2014, 04:33 PM
No need to be silent on my account - it takes a village......

Oh I think understood that. I was just making a general comment about visiting this forum. It's such a great place to find out breaking news......yet, it rarely fails that there is some verbal altercation taking place. I've been a member of other forums where it is just not tolerated. And though tempting it may be, even have to monitor myself.....just in general, I just wished you didn't have to peep around the corner to avoid a virtual verbal street fight.
i don't know what I am doing wrong with my private messages because I thought it was cleaned out....but, I just got another message. I'll take it as a sign to return to being a silent, infrequent visitor [[smile).

SupremeBoy
07-10-2014, 12:44 PM
http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=swope_261959&t=w

SupremeBoy
07-10-2014, 12:45 PM
http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=swope_261997&t=w

LadyLola
07-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Polite too!!! Has the charm of a badger.

LadyLola
07-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Mary finds his postings crude and disgusting. This I know firsthand! If she cared any more, she'd file a restraining order! Hell, we could all get him for slander and libel!
Go on Lulu! You're hard core badass!

SupremeBoy
07-10-2014, 01:29 PM
http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=swope_1134082&t=w

SupremeBoy
07-10-2014, 01:31 PM
http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=swope_263069&t=w

SupremeBoy
07-10-2014, 01:32 PM
http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=swope_261892&t=w

SupremeBoy
07-10-2014, 01:47 PM
http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=swope_263237&t=w

Lulu
07-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Wow! Thanks for these memories!!!

BTW, here are some of the ones of Beyoncé which really capture the essence of Miss Ross.

marv2
07-11-2014, 01:00 AM
Sheryl Lee is gorgeous! Thanks for the pics as a reminder........

SupremeBoy
07-11-2014, 04:44 PM
http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=swope_261983&t=w

SupremeBoy
07-11-2014, 04:47 PM
http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=swope_262829&t=w

Lulu
07-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Y'all know Sheryl had you TURNT UP...with this number which I was happy to see on the first Horse Meat Disco CD!

http://youtu.be/i8mKPp9_ogA

Lulu
07-12-2014, 11:36 PM
And now this update from Sheryl:

http://instagram.com/p/qYFWu5ogST/

skooldem1
07-12-2014, 11:58 PM
That's funny. She just taped that from her TV. Mahogany is playing on TVone right now.

Lulu
07-13-2014, 12:00 AM
That's funny. She just taped that from her TV. Mahogany in playing on TVone right now.

Oh yes...she's all about The Ross this evening!