PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Gaye "Distant Lover" question

test

daviddesper
07-06-2014, 12:53 AM
I have never seen a video of Marvin doing this song, but I have heard the live recording quite a few times and at one point during the song, the entire female segment of the audience lets out this loud, almost hysterical shriek. It obviously had to be in response to something he was doing on stage. What exactly did he do to generate that reaction?

marv2
07-06-2014, 12:57 AM
I have never seen a video of Marvin doing this song, but I have heard the live recording quite a few times and at one point during the song, the entire female segment of the audience lets out this loud, almost hysterical shriek. It obviously had to be in response to something he was doing on stage. What exactly did he do to generate that reaction?

He did the unmentionable.........hehehehehehehehe!

marv2
07-06-2014, 01:01 AM
Ok, let's watch closely and see if we can figure it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqrtWyR9-6k

daviddesper
07-06-2014, 01:15 AM
Well that is 5:11 of my life that I will never get back again. Not only did that video not answer my question, but it did not contain the scream I was referring to. Must be a different performance of the song. Anyone else?

blackguy69
07-06-2014, 01:15 AM
he did distant lover on Soul train on his first appereance

blackguy69
07-06-2014, 01:18 AM
that version was at the oakland coliseum in 1974. i believe that was his first concert in a few years. as far as i know there isnt a video from that show

Motown Eddie
07-06-2014, 10:53 AM

I'm not sure but I'm going to take a guess; it's the part where Marvin suddenly falls to his knees while singing the "please oh baby, come back home" segment near the end of the song.

midnightman
07-06-2014, 10:58 AM
I just think the fact he OPENED his mouth to sing "Distant Lover" had the girls screaming anyway. And I'm sure at other moments, he was singing, he looked to the audience and they responded in kind and then when he dropped to his knees to sing "please come back home!" they got more insane with the cheers. :)

Just my thought. :D

reese
07-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Not seeing any video of it, I assumed the girls were screaming because he exclaimed "Lord have mercy!"

daviddesper
07-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Thanks for all your input. I think Midnight man may be on the right track, because the scream that I was referring to does seem to come just as he changes from another song into Distant Lover. So it may have been as simple as them recognizing and appreciating the song.

thomas96
07-06-2014, 11:56 PM
He supposedly at times on the stage ripped off his outfit and continued singing in his underwear... Could that have been it?

reese
07-07-2014, 07:48 AM
He supposedly at times on the stage ripped off his outfit and continued singing in his underwear... Could that have been it?

I believe that started during SEXUAL HEALING.

midnightman
07-07-2014, 02:07 PM

You're thinking about the Sexual Healing performance from his Midnight Love U.S. tour in 1983. ;)

Believe me, Marvin didn't have to remove his clothing to get ladies screaming. Come on, this is MARVIN GAYE we're talking about. Not Usher. :D

Plus he was in the jean studded, beanie-wearing, platform boots-sporting ensemble when he first started doing Distant Lover onstage.

tamla617
07-07-2014, 02:45 PM
All I got from this was a pop up ad asking me if I take Statin drugs? Funny as hell!

Just for the record....................Not anymore man [[in a Cheech n Chong voice!)