PDA

View Full Version : Art, Biography, Criticism, and the Changing Fortunes of Diana Ross

test

skooldem1
07-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Every Day is a New Day: Art, Biography, Criticism, and the Changing Fortunes of Diana Ross

Diana Ross: A Career Overview

http://offscreen.com/view/diana_ross

Lulu
07-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Every Day is a New Day: Art, Biography, Criticism, and the Changing Fortunes of Diana Ross

Diana Ross: A Career Overview

http://offscreen.com/view/diana_ross

Thanks for sharing this. I had read it years ago and I think every person on these darn boards needs to take it in. It isn't some gushing fan's puff piece. It's a pretty objective and serious analysis of the music and the career - not the stuff that makes a lot of SDF readers nutty!

smark21
07-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Overall an excellent article. This is the kind of defense, evaluation and analysis of Ross' work I've been looking for. Thank you.

blackguy69
07-05-2014, 05:18 PM
i did like the article overall, but i still never understood why they had to slam the other Supremes in order to drive their point across. that couldve been left out. but overall i liked it

Methuselah2
07-05-2014, 05:20 PM
Skooldem - Many, many thanks for this great posting, one I had not read before. It is truly epic--in both its coverage and perspective by Daniel Garrett, as well as from the references he has used throughout by other insightful observers. I thought the entire piece was masterful, and that's wholely attributable to Garrett's beautifully writing and analysis. What a treat on a Saturday afternoon like today. Thank you again, Skooldem.

smark21
07-05-2014, 05:21 PM
i did like the article overall, but i still never understood why they had to slam the other Supremes in order to drive their point across. that couldve been left out. but overall i liked it

That's the only part of the article I didn't care much for as the author became more of a fangurl one sees on the internet, rather than a serious cultural critic. If this had been a dissertation piece, his advisor would have urged those passages to be cut. And I fear if this thread takes off here, that will be the main bone of contention here.

blackguy69
07-05-2014, 05:27 PM
i felt that he should've just focus on her solo career. i also felt if he was going to even mentioned any other supreme, he should've at least did his homework and at the minimal kept it cordial

skooldem1
07-05-2014, 05:56 PM
I only want to touch on this briefly. Just as recent as this week with the article published about the Flo Ballard movie, and just about any article ever written about the Supreme's there is always a dig made at Diana. ALWAYS. I mean lets keep this in perspective. Should negative comments, untruths and exaggerations only be acceptable if they are about Diana? Many people don't buy into the hype that Florence was some great singer. Some people also don't "get" Mary's talents either. It is all subjective. This was his opinion.

blackguy69
07-05-2014, 06:02 PM
when it comes down to it, it is his opinion and you cant take that away. personally i never read an article about Diana that had a dig against her. most of what i read always puts her in a positive light and at the same time give positive props to Mary and Flo.

Lulu
07-05-2014, 06:19 PM
when it comes down to it, it is his opinion and you cant take that away. personally i never read an article about Diana that had a dig against her. most of what i read always puts her in a positive light and at the same time give positive props to Mary and Flo.

Time has softened things in the last 30 years are so or even 14 since RTL but there still is a contingency who blame Gordy and Ross for the downward spirals or lacks of recognition other artists endured. At this point though, it's not the general public thanks to the success of Motown: The Musical and Diana's nearly perfect reviews over the course of the last 10 years touring. I try not to let the snark of a half-ass "writer", a background singer obsessed fan, or the shade of a big-voiced-underrated-soulsister-who's-finally-getting-her-dues cloud what most of us know is true.