PDA

View Full Version : I Remember Motown: When We Were Just Family [Paperback] Francis Maclin [[Author)

test

daddyacey
11-06-2010, 12:24 AM
I discovered this book on Amazon U.K. I had never seen it before and wondered if anyone has any feedback on it. It looks like it would be VERY INTERESTING!!! Here is the review of the book from Amazon U.K. ::::

This review is from: I Remember Motown: When We Were Just Family [[Paperback)
In this age of independent book stores closing down and major publishers cutting back on new releases, an author appealing to a niche market will often have to turn to a small independent press to have their voice heard. Thankfully, Frances [[Fran Hard) Maclin's memoir, I Remember Motown has found its way to print. Initially hired as a Tape Librarian, over a twenty-five year association with Motown Records she became Library Director, having oversight to thousands of recording tapes at the Detroit based studios, and later for the one located in Los Angeles. Her duties entailed cataloguing and storing the session reels, dispensing them back and forth to the engineer and producer for final mixing, and if being released, to ensure the right tapes were sent for mastering before being delivered to the pressing plant.

Problems and mixups invariably happened and Maclin relates a particular incident that occurred during her tenure. The wrong master of a song had been pressed and by sheer good luck, the error was discovered at the last possible moment. Berry Gordy called all the employees in the chain of command on the carpet and asked Maclin who was responsible for the tape mixup. She declined to name the culprit and Gordy fired her. As she was packing her belongings, Gordy's first wife, Raynoma, referred throughout this book as simply "Miss Ray," approached her and told her to get back to work. Later that day, Gordy came upon Maclin in the Tape Library and stated, "I thought I fired you!", to which Maclin retorted, "You did, but I went back to work instead." "Oh!" replied Gordy as he went along his business. Later, it filtered back to Maclin that Gordy was secretly impressed that she wasn't a stool pigeon.

Though I Remember Motown is a slim volume, several amusing anecdotes are revealed, and this reviewer found himself laughing out loud many times at the delightful insider stories Maclin shares here. While Diana Ross may have seen herself as "The Boss," in the pecking order of the roster, Berry Gordy is clearly depicted here as being in the driver's seat of this operation with both hands firmly on the steering wheel. Those expecting dirt to be dished on ego inflated divas will be disappointed.

According to Maclin, Berry Gordy treated his early employees well. They in turn respected him for the opportunities he gave them, and their loyalty to the fledging label helped launch what was to became the soundtrack of the sixties and beyond. One gets the sense that in the early days, Motown really had a close knit family vibe. Maclin describes how the first annual Motown staff picnic was planned with a $1,000 budget from Berry Gordy. As Raynoma and Frances were shopping for food for the picnic, they were stopped by the Detroit police as Gordy's license plate had expired. The ensuing arrest and finger printing with overtones of racial profiling threatened to ruin the planned event. This revelation, among several others, make for very interesting and eye opening reading of the political climate in Detroit in the early sixties.

This memoir certainly would have benefited from being more expansive. Hopefully Maclin returns with a second volume of her treasure trove of stories pertaining to the early years of the label before it became known as "The Sound of Young America," introducing the Motown Sound to a world eager for a brand new beat. The original Gordy record label boasted, "It's What's In the Grooves That Counts" and its what's to be found within the pages of this small gem of a book that will delight devotees of the Motown Sound. A fun read and highly recommended!

Any additional comments on this from the SDF family????

pc_1
11-06-2010, 03:27 AM
Love, love, love this woman! Worked with her for several years in the Tape Library.

I enjoyed the book as it reminded me of how simple and innocent our lives were 'cause we had no clue as to the longevity or appreciation that the world would have for our work. In my opinion, the above review is very much on point ...and I would think that however brief the read, this book is a good example of how we became ...and will always remain "family".

BTW ...our leader, Ralph, and brother, Russ worked with Fran as well.

Enjoy the read!!
pat

topdiva1
11-06-2010, 09:38 AM
The book sounds wonderful, and informative - and comes from a different yet important point of view. Cannot wait to get a copy.

jsmith
11-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I have ordered a copy of the book.

arrr&bee
11-06-2010, 05:28 PM
This sounds like a good honest look at early motown without the dirt and gossip,i wanna read this one too!

daddyacey
11-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Thanks pc_1,
O.K. , I guess I'll order one too!!!

tomato tom
12-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Just got this as a Christmas present. Facinating read, if a little brief. Recommended!..

tomato tom
12-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Just got this as a Christmas present.Facinating,if a little brief, read. Can highly recommended it though. Paulo XXXX

marybrewster
12-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Check the archives; this book was discussed in detail a few months back.

topdiva1
12-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Good interesting short book, heartfelt and well written.

tomato tom
12-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Yes, I know it has been discussed, but I didnt have it at the time. Just wanted to spread the news that its a worthwhile read, and a MUST for any MOTOWN fan....Paulo xxxx

marv2
12-30-2010, 12:49 AM
Yes, I know it has been discussed, but I didnt have it at the time. Just wanted to spread the news that its a worthwhile read, and a MUST for any MOTOWN fan....Paulo xxxx

Thank you Paulo, it does sound like a worthwhile read.

tomato tom
12-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Thank u marv2.....Is there anything wrong in promoting MOTOWN? Some of us cannot afford to get every new CD, book etc, the moment it comes out. And new members may not know about previously discussed subjects. I, for one, am extremely grateful for the information I have found on this forum, especially about new releases, and so on. I ALWAYS apppreciate my fellow members comments..thats what its all about..Paulo XXX